Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Diablo Cody
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 10:56 am

Posted: Feb 25, 2008 12:41 pm

And there I was the whole time until I saw her last night thinking that Diablo Cody was a dude.
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 1:08 pm

Maybe I am just being contrary or maybe it is because I work with teenagers every single day, but that Juno character makes me wanna slap her pregnant face in some of the clips I have seen. Teenage acidity after awhile ain't always precious.
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 1:17 pm

I haven't seen it. I heard a clip from it on NPR. Tragically hip. Do not want.
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 1:48 pm

Tom Scharpling convinced me not to see it.
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 2:12 pm

I had sorta high hopes cuz I really like Michael Cera and Jason Bateman (AD reunion!) and JK Simmons, the guy that plays Juno's dad. Unfortunately, none of these fine actors prevented the movie from SUCKING.

Too bad.
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 3:22 pm

Diablo Cody

Is that her stripper name? Who in heck would name their girl child "Diablo"?
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 3:29 pm

No. It's her fucking super edgy and quirky name. I hate to be such a hater, but god damn.
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 3:31 pm

I seriously thought she was gonna flash some nana with that cheap dress she had on; she kept having to adjust it.

Now, who did look superfine was that Marion Cottillard--yipes!
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 3:45 pm

What do people expect from a stripper? I would have been there, I would have slipped a couple bills into her cleavage.

Ditto on the Juno hatin'. I work with teenagers who flaunt the fact that they are having sex, doing drugs and drinking on their myspace pages. I did the same shit in high school, but I didn't flaunt it. Their parents SUCK.
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 3:50 pm

there were some parts that were funny, but most of juno felt super contrived.
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 7:02 pm

I liked Juno. The first 20 minutes or so were that contrived indy-ness, but all in all, I thought it was cute.
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 8:35 pm

any chair wrestling scenes?
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 11:51 am

any chair wrestling scenes?

And there's no black metal on the soundtrack, neither.

Geh.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 12:22 pm

I liked Juno. The first 20 minutes or so were that contrived indy-ness, but all in all, I thought it was cute.
Agreed. When it first started I thought is was going to be way too cutesy and contrived but I ended up liking it. I love michael cera, he's such a weirdo. I have a feeling he's probably that awkward in real life.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 1:17 pm

GFY goes way too easy on her, in my opinion.

I checked out what Tom Scharpling had to say about it, and I figure he's probably pretty right-on. And, um, I love Hole and all (fuck you) but come the fuck on.

I feel very weird about the seeming personification of what I thought would be super fucking cool when I was 14 actually happening, and I'm slightly resentful that I'm unimpressed.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 1:24 pm

I am fine with 14 year old's of today thinking this stuff is cool, but I definitely don't see it as being as palatable to all age groups/movie fans. If I had a 14 year old kid, I'd probably be on the Juno train, but as it stands (doing therapy with a bunch of 14-17 year olds whose parents hate them and everything they stand for), I can't take another surly, snappy eye-roller in my spare time. Gimme blood-thirsty assassins and icons of American Capitalism, please!
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 1:31 pm

See - I can't even see kids liking it, really. It seems like an idealized version of in-retrospectness. As the Scharpling dude says - wuss soundtrack, and teenagers do not love Patti Smith.

I'm not one to wait till I see something till I talk shit. That dress was really all I needed to cement my feelings on this movie.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 1:43 pm

I'm not one to wait till I see something till I talk shit. That dress was really all I needed to cement my feelings on this movie.

You and me both. That dress and tattoo was just like the anvil falling on my head that I hated it.

I know a couple of kids I work with DID like it, but not as much as they liked Spiderman or even Superbad.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 2:02 pm

flash some nana

It was real close, and she knew it...she shoulda been more stripperish and fly her poon flag, would have been more endearing than acting all modest and shit. Own it, skanks! The tattoo was hideous beyond belief. I haven't seen Juno, but Patton hated it and that's enough for me.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 2:19 pm

It was real close, and she knew it

Tilda Swinton was more balls out than fucking Diablo Cody, talking about "nipples" and "buttocks"...love her.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 2:37 pm

She did/does rule! Though, I once had a housemate that looked just like her. HE would constantly prance around in tight red briefs. Once he showed me an art school 8 mm 'film' his girlfriend made......of him.......masturbating. Because he was so gentle, and mild, and feminist, I was not supposed to be creeped the fuck out by it. FAG.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 2:48 pm

I was pressured into watching Juno last night. What the fuck was up with that soundtrack? Could it have been any more precious and cutesy? How many Belle & Sebastian and Moldy Peaches songs did they squeeze in there? Made me wanna puke.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 3:00 pm

Posted: Feb 26, 2008 3:07 pm

Ha ha ha ha
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 3:15 pm

I once had a housemate that looked just like her.

Was he named Aubrey?
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 3:15 pm | Edited by: Razor A Go Go

Posted: Feb 26, 2008 3:18 pm

I hated Juno. An unlikeable smarmy hipster doesn't have the balls to get an abortion. And this is Oscar worthy?!? I wanted to punch someone after I saw this one.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 3:23 pm

Even better.
I am ENRAGED and it hasn't been 30 seconds!
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 3:24 pm

*snort*

"Warning. Could change if these bands become popular." Ha! Ha!
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 3:27 pm

I once had a housemate that looked just like her.

Was he named Aubrey?

Jeffrey. He was also 9 feet tall, 100 lbs, with white eyelashes and loved Girls Against Boys and God is My Co-pilot.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 4:22 pm

Speaking of Tilda Swinton " I just watched Michael Clayton last night and, um, I guess I don't get it. What was so special about that movie or her performance? She was hardly in it for 15 minutes. When the climax of the movie is Clooney looking serious and saying "Do I LOOK like I'm NEGOTIATING?" you know you're in for boredom.

Haven't seen Juno but know it can't be that good either. Diablo Cody looks like the reject of a Supersuckers album cover shoot.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 4:32 pm | Edited by: saispas

What was so special about that movie or her performance?

Movie: Not so amazing. Tilda: She fucking scared the shit out of me. She was incredible! I talked about that character for months, but I have several attorneys in the family, so I dig the legal bloodsuckers.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 4:42 pm

*snort*
Oh man, that definitely displayed everything that is wrong with Juno- the quirky, 'sassy' little quips and everything. There is something likeable about the movie- maybe it's just michael cera- I don't know. I can understand what's sickening about it too though, so it's hard to defend.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 5:20 pm | Edited by: Alisa

I haven't seen Juno, but I've wanted too. I do have a weakness for those quirky teenage movies...since the 80s.
Actually, I haven't seen ANY of the movies.

So, is this the Oscar thread too? Man, I thought ALL the dresses SUCKED except for that Heigl woman. She looked SMASHING! Oh, and the Cotillard girl.

As for who won? Eh. All ferinners!! Excepts for the Coen brothers and the stripper. I can't believe they didn't give the Oscar to Hal Holbrook.
I actually enjoyed those boring montages. And I TOLD YA they wouldn't do anything special for Heath Ledger...except put him last in the croak montage.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 5:32 pm

I enjoyed the boring montages too. Javier Bardem is fantastic and that Dior Homme (or was it vintage? Or Thom Browne?) suit was looking SO DAMN GOOD. Daniel Day-Lewis is a total freak, but he was my favorite actor this year by far. Rebecca Miller is a bitchface; I cannot believe they are still married.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 6:13 pm

Even better.

I dunno, but some of the bite is taken out of their satire when that same web page says:
Slow your roll there, pilgrim. If ya wanna leave a comment on this here fine piece of content, mosey on over to th' sign in page and sign your ornery hide in, if ya know what's good for ya!
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 6:25 pm

Posted: Feb 26, 2008 6:26 pm

Posted: Feb 26, 2008 6:30 pm

Regarding her shoe rant on MySpace...
How old is this woman??? She sounds like she's a ten year old valley girl! Or, is that the O.C. now...or whatever?
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 6:31 pm

Age 29.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 7:54 pm

Like, totally.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 9:32 pm

she's a retard.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 9:58 pm | Edited by: dale

Ehhh. Some general interest free to the jr high and high schools mags had an article on the kid in the movie. I asked my jr high school aged son "So, ya wanna see the movie or get the soundtrack?"
"No, I heard the podcast where TOm Scharpling said the movie stinks and any of the cool songs off the soundtrack I can probably find through you."

Yep! Raising 'em right (Little Debbies and all...)
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 10:07 pm

Actually, I haven't seen ANY of the movies.

i saw NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN on oscar afternoon and thought, "that won't win shit"...

no conjuring from old me, it would seem.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 10:09 pm

she went to a super big deal private high school with several of my friends, and told them she based the Michael Cera on my friend Pete, which is pretty spot on. i think they've been done with her though since she moved to MN and lost her mind. who meets some dude on the internet, then moves 100's of miles to live with him and his kid, and becomes a stripper? the kind of girl who writes Juno.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 10:23 pm

I saw There Will Be Blood and really liked it.

Of course she went to private school. How could it be otherwise?
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 10:27 pm

she went to a super big deal private high school with several of my friends

So she is straight out of the Liz Phair/Courtney Love school of dilettantes? But of course.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 10:32 pm

The hot nylons with the hot topic fishnets over top of them look has annoyed me for at least 15 years. Mike Fucking Ness ain't gonna show up and the combo aint all that hot 'cept to him and his fans (Yikes! I'm starting to talk like those fashion ladies here now).

I also like beer and the smell of 2 cycle oil (to prove I'm all dude).
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 10:34 pm

I also like beer and the smell of 2 cycle oil (to prove I'm all dude).

So does Rob Halford, Nancy.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 10:40 pm

she went to a super big deal private high school

other famous graduates from Benet

# Dave Bickler (class of 1971) " rock singer: former lead of Survivor, Grammy winner for "Eye of the Tiger" (lead vocals); rock star role in Bud Light award-winning ad campaign Real Men of Genius[6]

# Tom Doody (class of 1963) " lead singer of The Cryan Shames

* Dan Sullivan aka "Dan Panic", drummer for notable Chicago punk bands Screeching Weasel and The Riverdales
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 10:42 pm

Posted: Feb 26, 2008 10:47 pm

other famous graduates from Benet

CATHOLIC SCHOOL! Knew it!
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 10:50 pm

i'm looking at the tom scharpling archives - which day has his juno rant? i want to hear this.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 10:52 pm

Me too.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 10:54 pm

This is the one I listened to: URL
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 11:00 pm | Edited by: dale

He's had a few weeks of Juno disgust. Razor A Go Go's link may be the main one though.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 11:06 pm

Working from home has its perks.

Par example: camo chair.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 11:20 pm

Thanks Razor, this is hilarious. I love when I know I'm right.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 11:22 pm

Scharpling's usually right.
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 6:30 am

funny stuff. I enjoyed Juno but you really can't argue with a single thing tom said. scharpling rules.
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 11:00 am

This movie's a thinly-veiled chick flick and the lead teen broad's snarky bit is annoying. Next.
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 10:23 pm

Posted: Feb 28, 2008 11:18 am

How are we dropping dimes? I am not snitching or dropping off dimebags on Juno.
Posted: Feb 28, 2008 11:38 am

Huggy Bear sez, "Word on the street is: Juno is jive!"
Posted: Feb 28, 2008 6:40 pm

Saw Juno last night.

I almost left (which I rarely do).

Borderline unwatchable.
Posted: Feb 28, 2008 6:43 pm

The more I think about it, the less I understand why friends and acquaintances are interested in this movie. It's just a Tom Hanks and a Meg Ryan away from being another shitty Hollywood romantic comedy or something.
Posted: Feb 29, 2008 8:16 am

I don't think I could watch another movie with that crazy Hard Candy castration girl in it.
Posted: Feb 29, 2008 10:47 am

Oh thank god I'm not the only one that thought that movie fucking sucked. I might have received a lap dance from diablo cody back in '04, when I was squandering a lot of money on lap dances at the 22nd St. Station and Sex World jizz boothes.
Posted: Feb 29, 2008 11:11 am

inquiring minds want to know --- would dtrain kick her out of the sack?
Posted: Feb 29, 2008 12:07 pm

oh hell no.
Posted: Feb 29, 2008 12:40 pm | Edited by: miss linda

I'd help him lock her in a closet .

got any duct tape man......
Posted: Mar 1, 2008 7:49 pm

i saw NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN on oscar afternoon and thought, "that won't win shit"...

saw IN BRUGES this afternoon. beats the fuck outta that coen bros piece o' poo.
Posted: Mar 1, 2008 8:41 pm

I was wondering what In Bruges would come off like; the trailer was a little cornball, but I think it was trying to appeal to the LCD, like most trailers do.
Posted: Mar 2, 2008 11:56 am

In Bruges = Another crappy fucking heist/murder flick with 100 mph quips, bad tuff guy acting and cliche, elementary nods to noir. Next.

-Roger Fucking Ebert
Posted: Mar 2, 2008 1:13 pm

I don't think I could watch another movie with that crazy Hard Candy castration girl in it.

she's about to be in another movie about roller derby that drew barrymore is directing. yes, drew barrymore is going the director route. gah.
Posted: Mar 2, 2008 2:55 pm

To continuing on this hatefest, that Ellen Page was on SNL last night and she is like a weird little dwarf.

Oh and SNL is so unfunny. Next.
Posted: Mar 2, 2008 3:27 pm

and ellen page was the worst thing on there. damn.

that is no way to generate interest in your movie, career, or nothin.
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 10:10 am

Sometimes SNL is funny (that episode was pretty weak). The cast is great this season.

And Ellen Page is a lesbian.
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 12:04 pm

So, I watched Juno on that link provided, and did not think it was all that terrible. A little too "clever"? Yes. At times annoying? Yes. But all in all pretty good, and I liked the ending (i mean the way it all wrapped up, not the last 10 sec of the movie). Me thinks you all are a bunch of grumpy old elitists.
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 12:41 pm

Me thinks you all are a bunch of grumpy old elitists.

I discovered at age 12 that almost all movies are terrible.

'Whos Afraid of Virginia Woolf' is pretty good though,
It made my brain hurt.
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 12:43 pm | Edited by: miss linda

....oh, and 'killer klowns from outerspace'

saw that one last night,
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 12:46 pm

should have won an Oscar
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 1:18 pm

annoying? Yes.

Takes one to know one.
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 2:10 pm

annoying? Yes.

Takes one to know one.

Whoo! GOOD ONE!
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 2:16 pm

May I make reference to the 'rubber/glue' theory ?
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 2:26 pm

I wonder now if someone has optioned the movie rights for 'Hairstyles Of The Damned' and which tweener star is rumored for the lead part.
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 3:45 pm

And Ellen Page is a lesbian.

Oh yeah she is!

I have tried to watch SNL for the last two seasons as people whose opinions I trust keep saying it is good, but I just don't find much to laugh at at ALL. In fact, I think they are trying too hard nonstop.
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 4:39 pm | Edited by: miss linda

They (SNL) should do a skit on outing all the members of the cast whom are gay, and then do a broadway bit.

p.s.
(they're all gay)
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 5:52 pm | Edited by: Alisa

I watched the True Hollywood Story on E! this morning of "Mean Girls". How refreshing. When SNL was once again funny, (a lot of the cast came from there and Tiny Fey wrote the script. Tiny Fey IS funny.) and Lindsay Lohan wasn't nodding out for the paparazzi.
I still watch SNL occasionally. Last season was kind of eh...but maybe they've got new folks?

Ellen Page is pretty cute. Is she really a lesbian? Is it on TMZ?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®