Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Switching To Glide
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 6:21 pm

Rock stations up north still play this sounds on Friday afternoons at 5pm to "Kick The Weekend off right!"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=O2Wr8J8faGA
Posted: Feb 24, 2008 9:09 pm

See Jason, I told ya....
Posted: Feb 24, 2008 9:32 pm

Rock stations everywhere else have never heard of it.
Posted: Feb 24, 2008 9:36 pm

Astroglide?
Posted: Feb 24, 2008 9:39 pm

For years upon years, the "Kick in the Weekend" anthem on the main Classic Rock station was this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wROo5p0h1V8
Posted: Feb 24, 2008 9:44 pm

Switchin to Glide sounds vaguely, vaguely familiar from somewhere in the deep recesses of my noggin but it's sure not in rotation anywhere around here. I've passed up that Kings album in the racks about 50 times without looking at it--it doesn't look like a new wave thing, I assumed it was some garage band.

-Ryan
Posted: Feb 24, 2008 9:44 pm | Edited by: dale

Now that weekend is almost over...Jeesh!

I did drop a reference to the song once and started singing the chorus while Jack Oblivian was sitting at the same table and he joined in along with me.
Posted: Feb 24, 2008 9:47 pm

Switchin to Glide is usually rerved for weekday lunch-time request segment where the inevitable "Children of the Sun" will get played at least once every two weeks, as will Johnny Winter's shitty talking guitar song.
Posted: Feb 24, 2008 9:48 pm | Edited by: dale

They used to play in Grand Ben a lot. I saw them a couple summers in a row.

People used to confuse them with the Kingbees.

"Children of the Sun"

Billy Thorpe?
Posted: Feb 24, 2008 9:56 pm

If you're "lucky" enough to live in Toronto, Q107 plays "Switchin To Glide"
every day.
Posted: Feb 24, 2008 9:59 pm

Billy Thorpe?

The same. And they bandy it around like some kind of underground "deep cut".
Posted: Feb 24, 2008 9:59 pm

Is that part of the CHUM network?
Posted: Feb 24, 2008 10:01 pm

That Billy Thorpe song has the most stupid use of delay ever. I fucking hate that song.
Posted: Feb 24, 2008 10:06 pm

Trust me. There is an old brake mechanic somewhere in Memphis who calls for it ALL. THE. TIME.
Posted: Feb 24, 2008 10:09 pm

I wonder if he's related to the guy that always calls our local non commercial station requesting 'White Punks On Dope" by the Tubes.
Posted: Feb 24, 2008 10:10 pm

I don't know. But I wonder what Rick Wakeman was thinking when he hired these people.
Posted: Feb 24, 2008 10:11 pm

When I was a kid I remember they used to play this on the radio on Fridays:
Posted: Feb 24, 2008 10:38 pm

Last fall, m wife and I flew into St Louis and then rented a car and went to Carbondale and Springfield IL. From St Louis to almost C-dale, we listened to KSHE from St Louis. I didn't hear a song past about 87. April Wine, Triumph, Off Broadway, Cheap Trick, Angel and some stuff that I kinda remembered but was really pretty obscure 70's rock. It was a complete mindfuck/tiewarp. I was diggin' it, the wife not so much.
Posted: Feb 24, 2008 11:12 pm

When I was a kid I remember they used to play this on the radio on Fridays:

so that's why you wear those clothes!
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 12:28 am

Man, he REALLY doesn't wanna get his Telecaster wet.
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 12:39 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Perhaps an educational video on how to rock a Fender in the pool is in order:
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 12:43 am

As long as the shoulder pads on the jacket don't get wet.
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 1:05 am

Posted: Feb 25, 2008 1:54 am

And let's not forget the country radio Friday 5pm equivilent
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 2:05 am

Hank's party looks goofy as all fuck but I bet it's a much more fun party than the Switching To Glidesters is. Hank's got food, a hot tub, a pig in the ground, beer on ice and obviously a whole lot of poon because they are in the video. All the Kings have got is a couple of pieces of clothes from a Members Only specialty line that was sold exclusively at Merry Go Round and a couple of verse that might perhaps elude to getting a blow job in the backseat of a cab.
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 2:11 am

Yet I wonder who would throw the first punch at George Thorogood.
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 2:22 am

I figured it out! Hank Jr is like that guy that no one thinks is really cool but he throws parties and practically begs folks cooler than him to show up emphasizing the fact there will be "any kind of party favor you want". That's why people way cooler than him (Waylon, Willie, George Jones, Porter Wagoner, Cheech and Chong...) show up to hang out.

Jr probably scammed them all saying he was working on a tribute thing to his dad to get them all to show up.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 11:20 pm | Edited by: dale

The Staags should pay tribute to the Hank Jr video for "Noise Ordinace Rock-n-Roll". Imagine it. A bunch of Goners, Chris Squire and Tom T. Hall.
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 6:11 am

I never heard this on the radio, but RFA plays it all the time. A minor hit?
Posted: Mar 14, 2008 3:37 pm

I'd just like to say...

SWITCHIN TO GLIDE motherfuckers!!!

it's been a long week. I'm getting the fuck outta here and starting the st. patricks day festivities right now!
Posted: Mar 14, 2008 3:49 pm

Nothing DOES matter but the weekend!
Posted: Mar 14, 2008 4:28 pm

Dale, on this side of the state it's Rundgren.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®