Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / No Depression Magazine RIP
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 3:43 pm

Got an email this morning about No Depression Magazine shutting down after two final issues. Not sure if the goners are fans, here's part of the explanation :

http://www.nodepression.net/blogs/letter/

oh, and Castro quit too.
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 8:08 pm

since no one else has: YAY!!!!!!
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 8:24 pm

FINALLY!
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 9:13 pm

Great. Now ChicoHarris will have even less things to distract him from posting on here.
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 9:23 pm

I really feel sorry for the people with subscriptions b/c inevitably the publication they transfer you over to is about 20x worse than the one you originally ordered.
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 9:26 pm

ChicoHarris will have even less things to distract him from posting on here.

then that would mean less things for you to post, right?
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 9:49 pm

since no one else has: YAY!!!!!!

i didn't want to be negative and shit, but...

i'm counting the tears and i've reached zero.
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 10:41 pm

i'm counting the tears and i've reached zero.

i don't think it's really about the magazine itself.

"The decline of brick and mortar music retail means we have fewer newsstands on which to sell our magazine, and small labels have fewer venues that might embrace and hand-sell their music. Ditto for independent bookstores"

Earles, care to shed some light?
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 11:51 pm

i don't think it's really about the magazine itself.

"The decline of brick and mortar music retail means we have fewer newsstands on which to sell our magazine, and small labels have fewer venues that might embrace and hand-sell their music. Ditto for independent bookstores"

sorry. still don't care.

shitty music is shitty music. market demands are market demands. you can't serve one and damn the other.
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 11:56 pm

I used to be a fan, but it became too easy to ignore.
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 8:48 am

I've met all of those people (Grant, Peter and Kyla) and they were/are really nice, and passionate about what they were doing. I didn't really love the magazine, or the great majority of what they covered, but this is still a shame for them.

Even if you're not a fan, go and click on that link. Good reading.
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 9:10 am

I would look over the mag in the stores and buy the issues I wanted to read.
They had some good writers.
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 10:47 am

TVT went bankrupt yesterday too... can't we get a 'YAY' for that?

market demands are market demands.

The deal was, their subscription level was exactly the same as years past, but they had no advertisers because small record stores were dropping like flies... or so the sob story goes. Not a fan...just sayin'
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 10:56 am

TVT went bankrupt yesterday too...

i recind my "yay" for no depression and transfer (and add a "fuckin") to the impending demise of TVT....FUCKIN YAY!
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 11:46 am

Just remember when businesses close, whether you like them or not, it's the regular joes like us that lose jobs, insurance, $ owed to them etc....so think about that when you cheer....assholes
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 12:08 pm

there's no entitlement system for businesses to remain open, and it's no more tragic whether said business is a "work of passion" or a steel mill. i've had to jump when a ship was going down, lost money, benefits. it's no fun but it's a reality.
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 6:38 pm

TVT went bankrupt yesterday too...
Wooo-ooooo! Assholes.

No Depression=not assholes.
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 6:50 pm

Many of those niche music mags are going under. The smart ones -- Straight No Chaser, a UK mag for jazz/funk heads, for instance -- are reimagining themselves for the Web, social networking etc.
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 10:07 pm

....assholes

time to look past the trucker cap because there are no 'regular joes' working for tvt and the like. its not like they are working shift at a textile mill or cleaning hotel rooms.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 2:22 am

....assholes

time to look past the trucker cap because there are no 'regular joes' working for tvt and the like. its not like they are working shift at a textile mill or cleaning hotel rooms.
Your answer

When I say "regular joes" I mean people who are not wearing tassle loafers and making $10K a month...you don't think TVT had people who actually work taking home a paycheck? Regular Joes are accountants, warehouse guys, A&R people etc....

there's no entitlement system for businesses to remain open, and it's no more tragic whether said business is a "work of passion" or a steel mill. i've had to jump when a ship was going down, lost money, benefits. it's no fun but it's a reality.

You're right when you say there's no entitlement system for businesses to remain open...I've had this discussion many times....about 10 different people/bands wanted to do benifits for Rocks Off after Katrina to keep it open and I said no...it wasn't some sort of charity or shit like that.....the loss of jobs is tragic, but it is more tragic when those jobs have a cultural slant to them, irregardless of whether or not that particular culture is something you are a fan of....I just think you are a scumbag if you get some delight out of other peoples' failures.....
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 2:26 am

what if I just really like watching bad movies?
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 12:31 pm

Alt-Country had to be one of the weakest genres ever. Good riddance!
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 1:10 pm

Alt-Country had to be one of the weakest genres ever. Good riddance!

Examples of bands you hate in particular, please?
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 1:20 pm | Edited by: Jeff Dahmer

the loss of jobs is tragic, but it is more tragic when those jobs have a cultural slant to them

Actually, it is not.

I shed no more tears just because someone's infantile fantasies of making art pay don't pan out.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 2:12 pm

All of em.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 3:02 pm

Drive-By Truckers

I've heard 3 of their albums and I didn't like any of them. People talk about that band like they are so important and groundbreaking, but all of those records seemed totally phoned-in to me. And the production was just awful.

I've liked some bands that could vaguely fit into the Alt-Country genre, but only accidentally. Did Reigning Sound ever get reviewed in ND? Some of their quieter material is more "country" than a lot of bands covered in that mag.

Like most genre titles, Alt-Country is pretty meaningless. I've seen ND review Lazy Cowgirls, Del Mc Coury, and Ryan Adams in the same issue. Those 3 acts don't seem to be in the same genre at all. I think the guys at ND even know how meaningless the genre is and they just seem to write about music that they like, regardless of whether it's "alt-country enough."

I haven't read an entire issue in almost 10 years, but the zine was always a good way to kill a few minutes at a newsstand. There was usually about 25% interesting content, which is about the same as other music mags. It's too bad they're folding.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 3:24 pm

that magazine just reminds me of being involved with college radio. there were always piles of no depression laying around, bloodshot records stickers everywhere, and the music director thought the old 97s were the greatest band on the planet. blah!!!!

ever tried to strangle someone with their own bolo tie? it's suprisingly difficult.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 3:29 pm

i liked some of uncle tupelo's early stuff.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 3:37 pm

I like Goodnight Loving.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 3:55 pm

I like Goodnight Loving.
They're one of my favorite recent bands both live and on record. Were they ever mentioned in that 'zine?
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 5:11 pm

I like that dRIVE bY tRUCKERS SONG "tHE nIGHT gg aLLIN cAME tO tOWN"

and yes that's how it's spelled
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 5:32 pm

Never heard of it.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 5:48 pm | Edited by: Mark Beef

go soulseek it

it's good

for alt country
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®