Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Movies I recently watched - Inland Empire / LoudQUIETLoud
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 1:15 pm

I give Inland Empire a B-. More than anything, it is a marvelous work of art. Otherwise, it is the most confusing of Lynch's films that I have watched. It is similar in one way to his other more recent films, in that the characters have parallel lives/persona that somehow bump together with their doppleganger. Other than that, I couldn't begin to explain anything else about it and make any sense.

LoudQUIETLoud gets an B+. It's a documentary of the 2004 Pixies tour. All of the original members come together and play a tour. There is very little excitement but a good amount of music. It was an interesting look at their lives as they've aged. Could have given more then-to-now explanation and more personality but all and all I thought it was good anyway.

That's all.
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 2:41 pm

I really like many of Lynch's films but Inland Empire seemed to be pretentious crap. Weirdness for weirdness sake only goes so far.

Get ready for the Pixies hate! I'm pretty burnt on them these days but I'd watch the movie.
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 5:53 pm

Just read David Lynch's book "Catching the Big Fish". I liked it. It only takes a couple hours to read and gives some insight into his creative process and also his use of Transcendental Meditation. The book was written around the time of INLAND EMPIRE and does describe his motivations in creating that movie. I saw IE once and thought it was interesting, although I wouldn't say I understood it. But maybe that's the point.
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 7:39 pm

I read that too. His descriptions of TM seemed really great, like a creative cure-all. I even looked into it - shit's ex-pensive to learn.
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 8:14 am

An amusing meditation-related tale from Popbitch-

boggled-mind writes:
“I'm a very old Popbitch reader. When I was 15 the Maharishi visited Sydney. I went to his lecture and was entranced. He invited us back to his hotel to get the "secret" word (omm) for meditation, but there was no more room in the conference room so I was put into the Maharishi's suite to wait. On his bedside table was his telephone contact book. All these stars' numbers were there and I wrote them all down - Warren Beatty, George Harrison, John Lennon, Mick Jagger , Patti Boyd and Ringo Starr was as far as I got before the old fraud came in. Later that night I phoned them all
from Australia and when they answered I just said "ommmm" until each one finally hung up. Sorry guys. I got into such trouble from my dad when the phone bill came in I was banned from using it for ages.”
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®