Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Ebay changes
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 12:52 pm

I just saw on the news where they're trying to institute an ebay boycott this week because of all the changes.
I wondered if something like this would happen, because the changes are WACK!

Who else on here does a lot of ebay? I know queenofthetwist does...
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 1:33 pm

i never ebay but im curious what kind of changes would institute a boycott ?
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 1:47 pm

Slightly lower listing prices and free "gallery" picture, but way jacked up "final value fees". Also, new feedback policies where you can no longer leave negative feedback on buyers, just on sellers and they only record feedback for one year.
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 1:48 pm

I don't have the patience for this...um, listing fees have been reduced, but final value fees are way up. So, this benefits people who's items don't sell, and eBay, and the rest of us get what? free photo galleries or something!? How long before they mandate shipping charges like Amazon?
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 1:50 pm

...uh huh. You can block buyers right? because there are some folks that negative feedback doesn't begin to deal with.
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 1:55 pm

the changes are really screwing lower-dollar sellers as ebay will be taking something like 8.75% of the final sale price of items that end under $25.00. that's a big increase.

this, combined with feedback thing & the cut papyal takes is really making it worthless to sell stuff for under 25 bucks.

and this, of course, won't be the last change by either ebay or paypal. in 1-2 years, they'll raise fees again.
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 2:23 pm

Damn. Fuck that. Been meaning to get around putting crap on there, but that's ridiculous. Will become an ever-patient craigslister instead.
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 6:10 pm

ebay makes me crazy because i do really well with it when i use it. i don't know what other forum there is where i can help myself make money the same way?
but ebay knows there's plenty of me out there and its really gross and full of shit with their final value fee increase. mix that with the fucking paypal fee and its soooo high now. so, when i do sell cheap stuff, i'm busting my ass for nothing. and not everything i own is a $100 item. gross.
and i hate the new feedback rules. stupid and so not fair. buyers can suck just as much as sellers if not more.
there has to be some legal action to make it more fair?
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 6:21 pm

only record feedback for one year
Is there a point to this at all?
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 7:33 pm

the changes are really screwing lower-dollar sellers as ebay will be taking something like 8.75% of the final sale price of items that end under $25.00. that's a big increase.

this, combined with feedback thing & the cut papyal takes is really making it worthless to sell stuff for under 25 bucks.

OK, fine. I will just sell my high-end vintage on eBay and only at a reserve. The rest of my good-still-cheap stuff? I will just put it in the cache for my semiannual yard sales and convince future Memphis neighbors to do the same and we'll have massive sales together.

FUCK eBay. They rode the backs of small sellers the whole way up.
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 8:08 pm | Edited by: saispas

0.01-$25.00 before--5.25% of the closing value after--8.75% of the closing value

$25.01 - $1,000.00 before--5.25% of the initial $25.00, plus 3.25% of the remaining closing value balance ($25.01 to $1,000.00) after--8.75% of the initial $25.00, plus 3.50% of the remaining closing value balance ($25.01 to $1,000.00)

Over $1,000.01 before--5.25% of the initial $25.00, plus 3.25% of the initial $25.00 - $1,000.00 plus 1.50% of the remaining closing value balance ($1,000.01 - closing value) after--8.75% of the initial $25.00, plus 3.50% of the initial $25.00 - $1,000.00 plus 1.50% of the remaining closing value balance ($1,000.01 - closing value)
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 8:29 pm

i wonder what ryan richardson will have to say about all this.
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 10:43 pm

ohhhh!!! my! god! i feel so sicked out right now. i should just open up a fucking store. i hate ebay.
i have stuff up right now of course. yep. awesomeness. i'm part of the party of sin hell and shit.
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 10:53 pm

yep, jessiebelle, I feel the same way. But I don't have anything up there now.
I do the majority of sales with $5 to $20 items. I'm fucked.
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 11:00 pm

yeah, fuck it - might as well have a weekend stall at the local Flea Market.
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 12:50 am

something else will emerge. it is the capitalist way.

or so we have bee told.
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 12:56 am

something else will emerge. it is the capitalist way.

yep. competition is the capitalist way.
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 9:47 am

i've been hearing a lot about ioffer.com - looks janky though.

'm pretty freaking annoyed with the changes; they're totally screwing sellers. Buyers can't receive negatives?? WTF?? the boycott is irritating too though - my sales are gonna suck this month. my only hope to be able to make any $$ is to keep my sales high enough so i get to take part in their "fee kickback" policy -if your sales are over $1,000/month they refund a percentage of your fees. they're also doing something *very* weird - if you can redirect buyers to your ebay store from a Non-ebay website (and subsequently purchase something) they refund 75% of your sales fee (which is 12% of the sale price). Sounds great but I can't figure out why they'd want to do that.

I added a page on my website solely for the purpose of redirecting EVERY person that looks at one of my items.

http://www.boomchickrecords.com/ebaystorelink.html

Fucking ebay. I feel like one of them little dogs with the flaming hoops.
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 10:01 am

Ebay has a new CEO, only the 2nd one ever....the last one who had been there almost the entire time, 10 years, just left....Ebay has a history of high % growth in sales and profit every year and that has to be slowing down...I'm sure this is just some dumbass way by the new regime to increase profits, historically it's usually the beginning to the end when companies try expanding margins when growth slows....
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 10:13 am

Sellers boycott eBay over fees, feedback
Ellen Lee, Chronicle Staff Writer
Wednesday, February 20, 2008
From YouTube to MySpace, angry eBay sellers are tapping the Web to call for a boycott of the online auction house, which beginning today is changing the fees it charges sellers to use the marketplace.

Last month, eBay announced plans to raise prices for certain sellers as well as tweak how buyers and sellers offer feedback about each other.

EBay, faced with a depressed stock and increasing competition from sites such as Amazon.com, is in the midst of preparing for its new CEO, John Donahoe, who takes over from longtime head Meg Whitman next month.

EBay said the price changes will benefit many sellers, who will see a decrease in the cost to list their item. But some sellers point out that at the same time, eBay is increasing its commission on sold items. EBay also said that the new feedback policy, which no longer allows sellers to offer feedback on their customers, was in the interest of buyers. But sellers worry that it gives buyers too much power, for instance, to retaliate or scam them.

Some disgruntled eBay sellers started online petitions, uploaded videos to YouTube, flooded message boards and joined on social-networking sites such as MySpace and Facebook to promote a one-week boycott of eBay to push the company to reconsider its new policies. Participating sellers have yanked their items off eBay, and some have listed them on rival sites.

"I feel bad because a lot of sellers are losing money, and I know it hurts," said Timothy Church, an eBay user who started a "Boycott eBay" MySpace page that has drawn more than 470 friends. "But we have to take a stand. We have to be united. They have gone too far this time."

Jose Mallabo, a spokesman for eBay, said the company is paying attention to the feedback. It is going ahead with the fee changes, although it did tweak the cost for sellers of DVDs, books and other media in response to recent complaints.

"It's emotional and they're voicing their concern, but we think the changes are for the long-term health of the business and community," Mallabo said.

It's difficult to gauge how many of eBay's 276 million buyers and sellers are participating in the boycott, which lasts until Monday. Boycotts are nothing new for the company, whose buyers and sellers historically have proved to be a vocal bunch.

But AuctionBytes.com President David Steiner said this boycott has drawn much more attention than past attempts and appears to be the loudest yet. Increasingly, sellers have more options outside of eBay, such as Amazon.com and Etsy, a site selling homemade crafts, he said. Etsy raised $27 million in funding last month, including from Accel Partners, one of the early backers of Facebook.

"The boycott in and of itself may be hard to quantify for how much damage it's done to eBay," Steiner said. "But in the long term ... their goodwill is scraping the bottom of the barrel."

Church, who lives in Lancaster (Los Angeles County) and buys and sells superhero collectibles on eBay, pledged to continue the boycott beyond Monday.

"If we have a virtual union ... and decide a direction for where we want to go, maybe we can be stronger and more successful," he said.

E-mail Ellen Lee at elee@sfchronicle.com.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/20/BURSV55SP.DTL
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 10:37 am

queenofthetwist,
do you find it profitable to maintain your store?
So, theoretically, I could set up a store to sell my prints and cards from a link on my website? Sell what I'm selling through the website in an Ebay store?
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 11:13 am

the exposure is definitely there - and for something like prints/art usually the store is better than an auction - in a store your item sits at a set price until someone who wants it FINDS it and decides if they're willing to spend the $$. Just like a retail store. With auctions people tend to want a bargain and aren't really committed to it. All the shit I sell (other than records) is easy to find on ebay auctions but is immediately available at a higher price for the instant gratification types (ie: americans). I do pretty well - well enough to bother with it. you got to have a LOT of shit to sell in your stores though - otherwise the monthly fee negates the benefits.

meh. i dunno.
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 11:14 am

okay, thanks. I have looked into the store thing before...just don't know if I can justify the monthly charge.
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 5:45 pm

i don't sell enough for the store...but i use the hell out of ebay and i just think there retarded.
but i'm picky as all hell now about what i put up. no more swapmeet shit no more.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®