Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 10:21 am

on Letterman tonight
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 5:12 pm

When I first heard about Sharon Jones, I was told that it sounds like 60's R&B. Thats what they all say about new R&B and it ususally sounds like R Kelly or some crap. Sharon Jones however is the real deal. You could take her records, build a time machine, go back to the year 1968 and go to an R&B stations and her records would fit perfectly with what they were playing back then.
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 5:24 pm

remember all those surf bands that sounded like it was 1962? that was fun for a minute.
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 7:29 pm

soul is the new surf for sure...
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 4:19 am

nice plug from the old man when he held up the supersized cd (joke about an album)..looked real home town and "100 Years" was real down home
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 7:57 am

I proposed to Mizz Nadia at a Sharon Jones gig, and she accepted!

What's the new LP like, izzit rougher than the second one? I didn't dig that as much as the first album...
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 9:48 am

i watched. cool song (more off a very early 60's r&b thing than jb style new new super heavy funk) but boring delivery.
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 3:28 pm

but boring delivery

see it's not just LA that makes her dull!
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 3:32 pm

i liked sharon jones much more the first time i saw her than the second. i think its because i had no expectations & knowledge of them the first time and was pleasantly surprised.

a friend i dragged along the second time summed it up - more ike, less tina.
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 5:36 pm

remember that shitty punk band that tries to sound like it is 1978 but made an attempt to sound like it was 1964 and fucking ruined soul singer Hannibal's music when they backed him up? that was never fun
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 5:45 pm

I like that new surf cut you've been sportin'...
http://graphics.gemm.com/graphics_db/KO/kolbbaskets.5249.large.jpg
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 6:51 pm | Edited by: Mark Rochambeaux

Some good tunes on the new album, for sure.

So soul music is the new trendy sound of the year, eh? Like garage rock last year? Is Sugarman 3 the new Black Lips???
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 9:03 am

I didnt know I was being so trendy when I was booking Daptone shows 6 years ago...who woulda thunk it?
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 9:34 am

remember all those surf bands that sounded like it was 1962? that was fun for a minute.

that was never fun.
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 10:24 am

no one ever said they were trendy. i think the point is that it's just a band doing old music. i'd be more into it if sharon was a better singer, the band was all black and they straightned their neckties and at least two of them had a sick process.
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 10:36 am | Edited by: paristheatre

I just want to reiterate that surf rock/music was never fun. then now inbetween ever.
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 10:56 am

surf rules! old dudes in bowling shirts playing pipeline sucks.
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 11:32 am

the band was all black

why? The Dapps who backed up Hank Ballard on tunes like "How ya gonna get respect" and recorded stuff like "Bringing up the guitar" were a mostly white band...the MGs, Packers...Soul was among the first integrated modern musical forms...
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 11:53 am

dude, i really don't care what color they are. her band is boring, her singing is boring, and that's that.
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 12:39 pm

..except for the fact that surf doesnt rule.
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 12:46 pm

her band is boring, her singing is boring, and that's tha
ditto that.
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 1:34 pm

dick dale?

and

what about the mighty TRASHMEN!
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 1:42 pm

old surf and soul records rule. new surf and soul bands don't.

vionel ritchie played the mexican kid in the bad news bears.
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 1:46 pm

i love surf. especially when its perfectly placed in a movie soundtrack. like pulp fiction. the heroin driving scene is one of my favs ever.
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 2:06 pm

NO! and No! no! NOOOOooooo!

<dons ray-bans and boogie boards waaay out to sea in khaki's while every surf song ever aka every digital cable jingle ever bursts thru the palms>
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 2:12 pm

only squares don't like surf instros.
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 3:26 pm

surf instros suck...Jimi Hendrix said it best in thrid stone from the sun.."and you will never have to listen to surf music again"
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 4:09 pm

quting hendrix is gay hippie. and i know you don't believe that about surf instros.
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 9:13 pm

I probably would never have picked up guitar if it weren't for surf instros. Strummin mental series and Diggin out, Ventures in Space...that's how I learned to play guitar - at least those were the guitar tones I thought were cool. I do not like modern surf though and don't want to hear any more of it.
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 11:39 pm

not even impala?
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 8:07 am

she's big in australia, which is the new big in japan.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 8:21 am

impala was always more about the beefcake than the music anyway
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 8:37 am

mono men - shut the fuck up

Man or Astroman killed it until Eeviac
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 12:03 pm | Edited by: paristheatre

<washes back ashore completely amazed that people care>

no. not even_______.

ALL THAT SURF SHIT CAN GO TO MARS! (save for kids in the hall's "Premise Beach")
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 12:46 pm

I like that new surf cut you've been sportin'...
http://graphics.gemm.com/graphics_db/KO/kolbbaskets.5249.large.jpg

wow what a cut down from a guy that just recently stopped dyeing his hair..
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 6:26 am

I hipped Australia to the Dap Kings " True! My pal Russ from You Am I licensed the Dap Kings fer his Reverberation label/distro...

Blows own trumpet (but it sounds like a wet fart.)..
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 7:25 am

mono men - shut the fuck up
be seeing the DT's tonight for the 1st time
been listening to a live Big Brother cd from '66 in prep.
hope to see some peeps at the Funhouse
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®