Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / google analytics
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 12:23 pm

so i made a blog that i'm going to try my damnedest to keep up with and i realized blogger doesn't have site stats so a friend suggested i use google analytics. anyone use this program? amazing. it tells you like as much possible info as possible about the stuff that happens on your site every day.
so cool. maps and everything.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 12:35 pm

not three minutes ago i checked out that site to see what it was all about.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 12:37 pm

i just installed it
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 12:51 pm

so cool.
i get impatient and i want to check it every five minutes but i guess you can only get daily stats. if i could do hourly stats i would pee.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 12:53 pm

its gonna be 24 hours before i see anything
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 1:11 pm

yeah it takes a day to do whatever its gotta do the first time.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 1:28 pm

I am shocked that the millionaire hasn't already done this. He is all about everything google.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 1:31 pm

everything google

I hope they never go out of business, because I'd be fucked bigtime.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 1:35 pm

as if that would ever happen.
is that even a possibility?
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 1:45 pm

what about googles approach to take over myspace with Orkut?

http://www.orkut.com
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 1:57 pm

done and done.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 2:24 pm

The only people on there are Indian engineers. It's true. But social networking is about the only thing that Google has failed at to date.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 3:18 pm

done and done.

how you be found?
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 3:43 pm

how you be found?

maybe with my email address? markmillionaire AT gmail DOT com
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 5:43 pm

This probably shows how much of a dork I am but it should be known that Google Analytics is the next generation of a website tracking product that Google bought called Urchin. If you have a site that gets a lot of traffic, you may consider getting Urchin because there is no need to place code on the page(s) but instead it can parse webserver log files at a specified interval. Ultimately, this may reduce webserver load and latency issues if you experience very heavy traffic. Incidentally, I think a new version of Urchin recently came out or should be coming out soon.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 5:50 pm

I use Urchin.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 5:53 pm

Hey metzger, wanna be a sysadmin for goner?
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 2:19 pm

I am not sure if they are actually looking for a sysadmin but I am definitely interested in drumming up some extra scratch. So, if you know anyone looking for web/database work, please feel free to shoot me an email at ( mmetzger at digitalworldnews dot com ).
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 2:31 pm

metzger! dork!
oh wait. he probably has a job...
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 3:50 pm

not the same, but fuck google adsense. they went from paying 30 bucks a month to less than a buck for more traffic. hnmm. our game, our rules. whoops. new rules! fuck you.
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 5:50 pm

not the same either, but Google Streets now has imagery of DETROIT!!! So far I have counted 6 dudes pushing shopping carts down the street. It's totally awesome. Still waiting for the New Orleans edition.... and probably will be for a while.
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 9:56 pm

please find BEER LOOTER attach a GPS, and sell me 24/7 WHERE IN THE WORLD IS BEER LOOTER.com on Google Maps!
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 9:59 pm

I thought Matt Muscle got a job?
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 10:22 pm

please find BEER LOOTER attach a GPS, and sell me 24/7 WHERE IN THE WORLD IS BEER LOOTER.com on Google Maps!

en route to bad neighborhood with heineken bottle full of tranquilizer!
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 11:09 am

hnmm. our game, our rules. whoops. new rules! fuck you.

I like how Google gets a pass somehow as far as being an evil corporation. I made scroogle my search engine of choice. They run your search through google but through a proxy server so your search isn't attached to your IP address. Then they delete the log after 48 hours whereas google keeps it forever, to blackmail you with later or sell to the FBI when martial law is declared, they haven't decided yet.
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 10:24 pm

nice!
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 12:29 pm

google streets does rule. i just looked up the 4th district court where i have to go plead guilty for theft.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 8:07 am

I have both urchin (came with the hosting company) and google analytics. I prefer google cause of the nifty little "where in the world" map and the graphics are much easier to see results. And I just can navigate it a lot easier. But I'm not doing any kind of serious web traffic tracking. I just hope one day all the states in the US will visit my site I have the outlining states but damn if no one from Kansas or Wyoming visits.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 10:09 am

Schooley, nice call on Scroogle. I use it too. the only thing that sucks is, well, google could probably block it or shut it down, but that if you want to see cached things, or maps you still have to use google. Still the really best part about it, other than what he said is it lists all your search results (the first 100) on one page so you don't have to click through pages.

The only good thing about google anlytics is it is a script that can be turned off if you use firefox and the no script plugin. Stop fingerfucking yourself to your viewers data.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 11:37 am

sometimes thats the only thing that does it for me...
Posted: May 1, 2008 10:57 am

They run your search through google but through a proxy server so your search isn't attached to your IP address.
i just tested this on one of my stat counters and it doens't work. still logs ip address and shows that you came through scroogle as your referring page.
Posted: May 1, 2008 12:33 pm

your search isn't attached to the ip address in google i think he means. at least that is what it does.

the long term issue is less individual websites getting your address when you visit than one major company having the ip address of every search you have done (if you have a stable ip address). For example in 06 the DOJ subpoenaed Google for searches. That raised the flag for many. Google has actually changed it's policy and will blank out the ip address (i forget what exactly it was they are doing now) after 18 months. i forget the exact change, and it is still too long to hold that info, but they are moving on it at least.
Posted: May 1, 2008 1:51 pm

that would make more sense. I have tried testing various free proxy sites to hide ip address from the stat counters on my site. Most of them still log the ip address etc, but show the referrer as the proxy site. pretty scary if you are trying to keep your info out of other people's hands and are either too cheap or too broke to pay for a ip hiding service.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®