Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / my purchase
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 10:51 am

reel to reel baby! reel to reel!

does that help? fuk, i aint lookin for that thread no mo! i ended up buying this early this week with some good condensor mics and other crap.

Fostex 16 track
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fostex-MR16HD-16Track-Digital-R ecorder?sku=701051

pauly reject was over this week to record some gut reactions stuff with a 8 track digital tascam recorder. stuff sounded pretty good in the end. that was my first time experience with a digital recorder.

my question is:
i know you cant go "in the red" with digital recorders without horrible clipping and digital shit sound. paul mentioned something about people using pre-amp mic thingers to get a blown out sound before it settles on the hard drive.

how does this work, what are some preamps to use for this?
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 11:29 am

Jay Reatard is the man to ask about this. he has some sweet tube pre amps. I think he has BlueTubes but dunno. I run drums through a 4-channel SURE mic mixer then through this Joe Meek thing and use this OPL thing for guitars and bass. My tape recorder's bust so I've been using this and going straight into my 8-track ADAT machine which is digital and I can't discern a difference. I can mix onto one channel of the tape machine if I want but it sounds no different to mixing onto the computer in stereo. But yeah, BlueTubes or any good mic pre amp is the way to go.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 11:33 am

Or am I mixing them up with tube compressors? I've no idea what I'm doing half the time but it's sounding pretty cool.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 11:37 am

yeah, where is the Reatard at?
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 11:38 am

these things:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Robbie/

ill have to pass
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 11:52 am

A good mic pre is gonna cost ya. A crappy one won't. Here you go:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-Tube-MP-Studio-Mic-Preamp?s ku=180581

Probably sounds like shit, but for $30, what could it hurt to try?
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 1:37 pm

Fostex blows. Bad choice. And I wouldn't be taking sound advice from The Hand after that Hipshakes album!
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 1:39 pm

after that Hipshakes album!
that was all the hipshakes fault
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 2:03 pm | Edited by: Seamus

I have some pretty nice pre's, some more expensive than others but these two which are on the cheaper end remain my favorites...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/101/

http://www.groovetubes.com/The_Brick_P2084.cfm

of course, you save money per track by buying two-channel or four channel pre's but I've never had that kind of money to spare...
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 2:29 pm

i have the fostex 8 track version of that recorder and so far it works perfectly, easy to operate, no problems at all.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 2:36 pm

That ART Tube MP Studio Mic Preamp is like the OPL I have. same make. They're GOOD!
I should market a series of studio equipment: "I can't be everywhere at once to ruin your recordings, but with 'The helping HandTM' series of studio FX, you can get recordings as unlistenably bad as mine. The STRANGULATORtm box is basically this box of wires and stuff, you just plug it in and put everything through it. No fiddly dials or switches to confuse you, just trust it to COMPLETELY RUIN your recordings! Only $5.99. Just mixed that new MATCHBOX 20 album? Sounding a little...well, lame? Well no need to panic, help is at 'hand' in the shape of my new STUPIDATORtm machine. I don't know how it works but it sort of makes everything sound really shitty. Go on! Try it! This week only $2.60"
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 2:37 pm

just use a seperate mixer. youre going to want to use one anyways as that multitracker has absolutely NO equalizer included.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 3:40 pm

youre going to want to use one anyways as that multitracker has absolutely NO equalizer included.

It's digital- why wouldn't you just EQ on the computer? But I was going to say to ask BradX- there's no way he's not getting a blown out sound or he would've never switched to digital.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 4:28 pm

i dont use the computer at all with it. all the mixing is done live, in the box. i mix down to a stereo wav file, export it via USB, and use the computer as a cd burner, nothing more.

a decent board will have decent pres you can blast. just keep the master at an even volume. you'll pretty much NEED one for the drums at least, anyways

my latest song, an original entitled valium, vicodin, and beer should be finished tonight or tomorrow.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 4:32 pm

i have my bro in law involved with all aspects of the recording process now, he's a tech nut for computers and live sound, im teaching him about recording but its extremely helpful to have another musician around who knows how to EQ and use a board, doing everything yourself is time consuming and error prone.

heres the first song i did with his help and my new 24 channel board, he did all the drum mixes, i just ran a line out.

http://blip.tv/file/get/Bradx-elusiveButterfly429.mp3

the new song will be alot noiser, but this one is kinda tame due to the subject matter (its a bob lind cover)
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 4:36 pm

i did find a pic of my mixer, it has a tape deck sitting on part of it but you get the idea...
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/411/lea8b30499088bfe544f591qf6.jpg
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 4:52 pm

i think ill get what i want out of a digital recorder. i have 3 months to see if i like it or not and then return it or sell it on ebay or whatever...
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 10:21 pm

Thanks, guys. Helpful.
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 1:11 pm

What about a box for whatever allowed The Hands' judgement to be clouded by letting the loveable lads put Summertime Blues and a Heartbreakers cover on their album? You can't teach that kind of lack of guidance!
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 3:16 pm

Ah, I didnt have any choice in what went on it. Heartbreakers was Slovenly's choice anyway. I'd have preferred their cover of the Cramps 'The Way I Walk' of any of the covers they recorded as it's really deranged. If anyone heard the Despondents single on Red Lounge, that's me again fucking the recording up. This time I used mono effects on a stereo recording so when you play the record, the right speaker is really loud and the other speaker is really muffled with no vocals. I think I've pretty much figured it out now.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 10:02 am

got my unit earlier this week and had some time to play around with it. used it last night to test it out on some goibbledoimbs stuff. sounds good so far for what its worth. easy to use too. i gotta question ?? though. should i be able to use my old tascam tape 8track as a preamp? the tape deck speed is fucked up so thats why i bought this new one in the first place. the old unit can do 4 simultaneous tracks and has only two xlrs... ive never used it as a mixer before so i dont know if the 4 tracks would be the highest amount of tracks i can output at once for drums lets say.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 10:25 am

Who are you, Roy Thomas Baker or something? Trust me, for your music one mic is enough. Maybe two if you're making your Sgt. Pepper or whatever.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 10:28 am

i wanna push levels with a preamp or its gonna sound to clean. can i use the tape 8track for that or do i gotta get a new preamp?
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 10:38 am

How should I know? You ever hear any of my records? They're worse than anything The Hand could ever imagine. I'd actually like to hear that Despondents single. That sounds cool.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 10:41 am

i dont know, yer an old man... old men know shit
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 10:54 am

That's why I told you to get a 1/4" in the first place. You can push the sound more. That 8 track has too much headroom. I got a Tascam 414 and an SM-58. Then again I only record noise and feedback. Music is for losers.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 11:39 am

hand held tape recorder for me!
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 3:49 pm

your old multitrack mixer will work fine as tape pre's. heres a nice pic of the board i picked up for 350 bucks.

the guy who sold it to me said its the one they recorded dark side of the moon and all the beatles records on.

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/7195/24channelsoundtechboardhq2.jpg
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 3:56 pm

heres a slideshow of my studio set ups right now
LINK
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 4:11 pm

tape pre's.

tape pre's? you mean mic pre's? what in gods name are you talking about brad?

nice studio slide show!
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 5:35 pm

yeah yeah mic pre's. the medication is kicking my ass. mic pres on the mixer from yer old tape machine, or some goddamned thing...
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 5:39 pm | Edited by: bradx

i think the built in pres are fine for micing drums or guitar, the only thing ive found outboard pre's essential for are vocals.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®