Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / anyone going to see ornette tomorrow?
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 6:16 pm

its gonna bust my budget but im springing for good seats. word is it the sound grammar line-up- denardo and two basses.
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 6:51 pm

Fuck....wish I knew about it earlier....that's pretty damn pricey for my broke ass right now
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 12:10 am

Budget non-existent. I won't be able to even have bus fare to hang w/ the Cape-Men,Electric Kisses,etc. this weekend.

I wish this show was on the 19th after i get paid...
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 2:52 am

on a funny note- riggler disappoints. cmon ned- you must have at least a dozen stories regarding ornette.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 12:34 pm

where's he playing?

I've seen him twice and both shows were well worth it...
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 1:00 pm | Edited by: rich riggler

I love Sound Grammar. Been pushing it on everybody I know. No real Ornette stories aside from the time I stood next to him at the bar when Don Cherry and Eddie Blackwell played at some club where the Continental Divide is now. At the end of the night I went up to Eddie and thanked him and told him how great it was. He put his arm around me and we hung out for a few minutes. He was a really nice dude.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 9:11 pm

i'm curious how this is... he's playing nyc in march. tickets are mad expensive but it's not like there's plenty of opportunities to see him play.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 9:24 pm

I know...but it's like 75 fucking bucks or more...just can't swing it...maybe I'll go see Blue Cheer tonight instead
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 9:43 pm

At the end of the night I went up to Eddie and thanked him and told him how great it was. He put his arm around me and we hung out for a few minutes. He was a really nice dude.

Ed Blackwell may be my favorite drummer in jazz, so unique and definitively New Orleans. Cool story. Wish I'd had a chance to see him.

You should check out his band with Cherry and Hayden called Old and New Dreams if you haven't heard it.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 11:32 pm

Damn. Guess I'm on Joe's team with this one. Bootleg it yamhill.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 11:44 pm | Edited by: Joe Pestilence

Yes Bootleg!

"Ed Blackwell may be my favorite drummer in jazz,..."

And he still has time to regulate on style w/ his Worst Dressed Lists to boot!

"You should check out his band with Cherry and Hayden..."

The Shape Of Action Swingers To Come?
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 11:45 pm

Yes Bootleg!

I got a couple. Hit me up, Joe.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 11:45 pm

Oh. Oh, I see.
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 12:02 am

he's playing nyc in march.

I'm itchin' to buy tix, myself. Town Hall, almost 50 years later? daaaang.
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 12:18 am

"I got a couple. Hit me up,Joe."

Will do.
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 12:21 am

Of Yes. Not Ornette.
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 1:34 am

No Yes. Just Ornette!

I already own a lonely heart,don't need to be reminded of it.
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 9:34 am

What's the story with the NYC gig? I couldn't find any info online.

Finally got the Friends & Neighbors LP on Flying Dutchman last night and it kills.
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 10:44 am

What's the story with the NYC gig? I couldn't find any info online.

3/28 at town hall.
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 1:04 pm

Just checked prices for the Town Hall show. Cheapest tickets are $76.50. That's messed up.
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 11:55 pm

No bootleg but it was worth the buck. Ornette retains alot more power and tone then i expected. Some pretty incredible goose bump moments. Two electric basses and an acoustic- i think it might have been charlie haden. His daughter is here but no intros and i havent been able to find other info. The two electrics played real well together- one jaco like and the other more nuanced and textured while haden(?) alternated from bad ass runs to some incredible bowing. ornette played a decent amount of violin, as well, leading to some cool big moments. but more than anything i was impressed as hell that ornette played solid w/ no breaks or coasting. the man can still bring it and its always awesome to experience the power of jazz. denardo was hitting the fuck out of the drums and the whole band really did roar. my funny as hell and stoned brother talked for about an hour about van halen and the laughing hyenas afterwards which madde a bunch of sense at the time...
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 8:46 am

Sounds great. Maybe the bassist was Greg Cohen?

I was lucky to catch the trio of Ornette, Charlie Haden, and Billy Higgins several years ago and that shit was magic.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®