Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Favorite Lou Reed Solo Album?
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 11:17 am

Come on, kids. Let's play the game that's sweeping the nation-name your favorite Lou Reed solo album (I know, they're all so good right? It's hard to pick just one). I'll start. Street Hassle. See, it's fun and easy. Now you try.
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 11:24 am

Girl On A Motorcycle.

Les Reed rules!
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 11:26 am

metal machine music
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 11:41 am | Edited by: rich riggler

I love MMM but it's nothing compared to La Monte Young's Day of Niagra CD. (La Monte, Tony Conrad, John Cale, Angus Mac Lise and Marian Zazeela all holding one note for half an hour! )
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 11:42 am

New Sensations. Nothing else compares.

You know I love my GPZ so much, I could kiss her...
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 11:43 am

Street Hassle it is --
question - is that really brooose at the end or a broose imitator?
i'm going with imitator
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 11:44 am

It's really Bruce. He was recording in the same studio at the time. I bought Street Hassle when it came out (1978).
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 12:05 pm

I love Berlin even though it can kind of ruin ones day
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 12:13 pm

The Raven

just kidding.
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 12:15 pm

Street Hassle's almost the one for me, but loses points because I'd seen Lou perform some of these songs live and the record just didn't deliver on the promise - the studio version of "Dirt" was a let down, "I Wanna Be Black" made sense as a "fuck ya" interlude in performance, but was a dumb joke on record, and maybe I liked the band more (I can't remember, were they different?). I've always thought I'd say Blue Mask because it's really really good and I've never tired of it, plus it's got some of Bob Quine's finest moments. But, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "The Bells" because the title song still gives me the chills - Disco Mystic? what the fuck!? hell, the whole album is like being trapped in an apartment full of drugged out strangers. Yet there's moments of real beauty, Lou almost sounds sincere, and I still find it compelling whenever I put it on. And I do listen to it more than a lot of his catalogue. I don't have a single friend that shares in this, though.
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 12:16 pm

The Raven

just kidding.

Thanks - I just spit coffee across my keyboard!
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 12:31 pm

blue mask
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 12:33 pm

Quine

Bob always said he was the only guy who could play with Lou. He was a big fan of Lou's and it bummed him out that they didn't play together anymore. I remember Bob bumped into Lou in a guitar store and they kinda made up before he died. Bob was a great guitar player and a great guy. I spent hours hanging out with him at Mojo. Jammed on the blues a couple of times. He was a big Jazz fan. He saw Coltrane and Ayler. Loved the Miles 70's stuff and Coleman Hawkins. I remember asking him why he didn't make a solo guitar record and he said he was into Drone stuff and that nobody'd be into it. He was wrong about that. I should've offered to put his record out. I don't know why I didn't. (By the way, he played through the worst set-up imaginable on The Blue Mask-a Fernandez Strat copy and a little Peavey amp. Later he switched to Black Fender Japanese Telecasters with Maple necks. He had about a hundred of them (no joke).
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 1:01 pm

I think Transformer's the best (real original, I know), but I also really like Coney Island Baby.
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 1:25 pm

Take No Prisoners is not only his best album but the best representation of live music in the documented history of mankind.

Give an Issue. I'll Give You a Tissue. And You Can Wipe my Ass With It!
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 1:53 pm

I love Berlin even though it can kind of ruin ones day

Agreed.

Steph, you made me lol.
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 1:57 pm

I like the S/T & "Transformer" the best.
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 2:32 pm

transformer begining to end hovers around perfection.
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 2:56 pm

Coney Island Baby and Rock and Roll Heart are the ones I have listened to most consistently over the years. Berlin's perfect for what it is and I used to listen to it a lot more than I do now, which probably is a good sign. Street Hassle is also great. Metal Machine Music is only good as a measuring stick for how pretentious someone is. Transformer is ok, but I definitely wouldn't call it a favorite. I think Ecstacy is a great album and definitely my fave of the newer ones.
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 2:58 pm

Rock and Roll Heart

One of the worst albums ever made.
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 3:00 pm

Transformer is good, but I prefer the one he put out after that, Alladin Sane.
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 3:20 pm

Street Hassle.
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 3:49 pm

Fuck Radio Ethiopia. This is radio Brooklyn.
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 5:25 pm

Unleashed in the East
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 8:56 pm

berlin
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 10:10 pm

A New Commotion, A Different Tension
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 11:30 pm

The more I think about it I've got to say "New York", although the title track to "Street Hassle" might be his best solo song.....Songs For Drella holds a special place in my heart too....
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 12:52 am

New York, definitely.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 3:03 am

yeah, leftpeg, i dig. but mott the hoople didnt sound too bad either. the production n arrangements on transformer work. neil youngs harvest came out w/ jack nietshze bout the same months as i recall n both remind me the beauty of big production.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 3:45 am

Metal Machine Music

I thought it was really odd one day when I had feedback melodies in my head.

I remember asking him why he didn't make a solo guitar record and he said he was into Drone stuff and that nobody'd be into it. He was wrong about that. I should've offered to put his record out. I don't know why I didn't.

You should have told Cosloy. You could have saved Matador.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 9:51 am | Edited by: The Driver

transformer begining to end hovers around perfection

Mick Ronson's the real reason this record's so good, right? - because the first record's pretty unremarkable, despite the presence of really great songs.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 12:23 pm

magic and loss is pretty good. it is also probably one of the most depressing albums ever.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 12:30 pm

Berlin
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 12:31 pm

The first one, s/t.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 1:07 pm

I seen Lou on Broadway for New York. I fell asleep halfway through.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 3:04 pm | Edited by: Carmine Appice

I seen a used Action Swingers CD today. I threw up a little in my mouth.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 3:18 pm

can we finally admit that all of John Cale's solo shit is just that, shit.

Paris 1919, my ass.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 3:36 pm

can we finally admit that all of John Cale's solo shit is just that, shit.

Paris 1919, my ass.

Wrong!! Paris 1919, Guts, Vintage Violence,SLow Dazzle, Helen of Troy! You gotta be fucking kidding me! Sure after the first few it was all pretty bad except for Fragments of a Rainy Season, which I'm not sure counts, but still great early stuff. And it wasn't all his fault, Eno brings out the worst in everybody- there I said it.

I saw John Cale at the Rock and Roll hall of fame like 7-8 years ago in a room that held about 60 people and it was 2/3rds empty and he still played his ass off for the few of us who were there. AWESOME!
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 3:42 pm

I saw John Cale at the Rock and Roll hall of fame like 7-8 years ago in a room that held about 60 people and it was 2/3rds empty and he still played his ass off for the few of us who were there. AWESOME!
Mo Tucker gave me a hummer in a truckstop bathroom. We were the only two there, but she still sucked her ass off, damn near sucked mine off too!
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 3:43 pm

Mo Tucker gave me a hummer in a truckstop bathroom. We were the only two there, but she still sucked her ass off, damn near sucked mine off too!

I'm sure there's some Lou Reed stories floating around like this too.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 3:57 pm

In fact, I'll go one further. Take No Prisoners is the best thing done by any Velvet alone or with their other talentless cohorts.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 3:59 pm

Take No Prisoners

Hmmm, I don't have that one... I'll have to check it out.
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 5:17 pm

Which record is "Wild Child" on?
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 8:45 pm

Which record is \"Wild Child\" on?
The best one, the first one...S/T
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 9:12 am

I seen Cale at CBGB in the early 80's. He was good. Then I seen him a few years ago at Central Park playing with a string quartet opening for Stereolab. It was pretty lame. He's written some great songs though.
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 1:09 am

I got free tickets to see Lou perform "The Raven" a few years ago.

Highlights:

Lou chastising people in the back bar of the venue (1500 capacity) for talking and threatening to walk off.

He had a sensai or something doing karate dance moves to half the set whom I dubbed "the ninja" and drunkenly bothered everyone around me with hopes that at some point he would fight the ninja.
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 1:12 am

I love you Suzanne.
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 4:03 am

Favorite Jerry Reed solo record?
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 5:11 am

Bob was a great guitar player and a great guy. I spent hours hanging out with him at Mojo. Jammed on the blues a couple of times. He was a big Jazz fan. He saw Coltrane and Ayler
Riggler name drops for someone else!! I think this is amazing even though bob don't need it, and i'm sure riggler wasn't actually trying to do that for him, it still reads like that and is hillarious.

Metal Machine Music is only good as a measuring stick for how pretentious someone is
I absolutely love that this is a line in a discussion of this topic. pretention? will everybody please step forward.
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 6:13 pm

berlin, is truly special

the first is like velvet outtakes, i love it too

but i have too much to listen, i should listen metal machine music and street hassle
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 11:19 am

Been blasting 69 Live the past 2 days. Best record ever. Except maybe Do The Ostrich.
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 2:23 pm

Favorite Jerry Reed solo record?

My favorite is the 45 I've got with "When You're Hot You're Hot" b/w "Amos Moses". Easily one of my top 5 7" alongside Murray Head's "One Night In Bangkok" and Charles Bronson's "Diet Rootbeer".
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 2:56 pm

For all its reputaion as unlistenable garbage,the last time i heard Metal Machine Music it actually sounded... almost pleasant. I'm probably just desensitized to those kind of records,but it seems like something i'd put on in the background while reading a book or something. Seriously. Weird.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®