Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Best Actor/Actress on the planet?
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 11:19 pm

The Roy Scheider thread got me thinking...

For me, it's either Dustin Hoffman (although I don't know what he's done in 20 years), Philip Seymour Hoffman (no relation), or Javier Bardem (who shredds in Mar Adentro).
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 12:40 am

javier bardem is great, but i have a huge soft spot for johnny depp

and dustin hoffman has done some great work lately in small movies like 'stranger than fiction' and 'i heart huckabees'

sean penn is an overblown weirdo BUT i think he is a fine actor

gary oldman has also done a lot of fine work in his formative years, as did tim roth, whose roles i think have been better choices, though oldman has probably made more money (what with harry potter, air force one, etc), not that money is an indicator of talent...

i do think that philip seymour hoffman has been pretty damn good in his roles... let's not discount some old skoolers like peter o'toole (whose role in 'venus' was subtle and touching and right on)

however... i think that daniel day lewis blows them all out of the water. he's fucking brilliant. always.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 1:39 am

that dude that played the crying indian in those old commercials

I swear he was so good and believeable that I almost gave up littering
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 7:15 am

Harry. Dean. Stanton.

Javier Bardem does a damn good John Malkovich impression in the latest Coen Bros. flick. But if they give him an Oscar for that they should give one to Christian Slater for his Jack Nicholson and one to Jay Mohr for Christopher Walken.

Hoffman was best in Straw Dogs but fell into DeNiro, Pacino, Nicholson territory with Meet the Fockers and the Imagination Emporium one. Couple years ago he was ace though like Theresa pointed out.

Too bad Joe Spinell is dead.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 7:31 am

IRON EYES CODY!!!!
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 7:47 am

Harry. Dean. Stanton.

god. damn. straight.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 7:47 am

walter matthau!
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 9:23 am

He's no longer on the planet
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 10:21 am | Edited by: andria

gary oldman has also done a lot of fine work
daniel day lewis blows them all out of the water

ha! last night I tried to watch the ballad of jack and rose, a ddl movie -- was curious about it after i heard him on npr -- man, did that movie suck!

I pressed stop on the dvr after fast-forwarding through most of it, then saw that sid & nancy was coming on at 9:30. I loved that movie when it came out in '86, but hadn't seen it since.

it was excruciatingly bad -- chloe webb had that shrill spungeon/courtney love thing down pat, but the guy who played johnny rotten? give me a break! and the second time around, I realized that even oldman, who I love, was serving up some bad acting.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 10:57 am

max von sydow wins since sterling hayden and toshiro mifune are dead.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 11:08 am

Donald Sutherland (period)
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 11:25 am

IRON EYES CODY!!!!

nah

this guy wasn't a superhero....well if he was a superhero, he was DC not Marvel
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 12:10 pm

Today I am thinking it is a tie between Phillip Seymour-Hoffman and Daniel Day-Lewis. After seeing both in the last few months in "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" and "There Will Be Blood"...well, they made everyone else seem like dilettantes.

Actress? Hmmmm...I always like Laura Linney.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 12:14 pm | Edited by: miss linda

Jaleel White http://www.kellie-williams.com/fm/steve3.jpg

The best actor in the world. Even better than Iron Eyes Cody.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 12:31 pm | Edited by: jerryd

Daniel Day Lewis?
Gary Oldham?
Phillip Seymour Hoffman?
Donald Sutherland?

Try again.

I think we've found our winner
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 12:37 pm

IRON EYES CODY!!!!

this guy wasn't a superhero

He wasn't an indian either. But he convinced everyone.

In that vein I'm gonna go with this kid.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 12:38 pm

nah

this guy wasn't a superhero....well if he was a superhero, he was DC not Marvel

that's mutha fuckin Apache Chief!

Inuk-chuk!

http://www.collectingfool.com/published/toth-apachechief.jpg
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 12:40 pm | Edited by: miss linda

JALEEL WHITE!
"Did I do that?"

Hilarious!!!! None of the other actors mentioned above could pull that off!

Comedic genius!!!!
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 1:39 pm

walter mattau!

Seen the original Bad News Bears on TV the other night. He was good. Plus Tatum O'Neal!

Also seen Kate Winslet in some creepy movie the other night and she was naked half the time. Nice cans!
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 1:49 pm

He wasn't an indian either. But he convinced everyone.

DUH!!!!!!!!!!!

it's called ACTING!
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 1:52 pm

the guy who played mr belvedere
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 5:11 pm

Kate Winslet

She's awesome. What a fox.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 6:02 pm | Edited by: mrlastname

Lee Marvin. Even if he's dead.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 6:45 pm

Warren Oates
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 7:35 pm

Seen the original Bad News Bears on TV the other night.

Best sports movie ever. OJ Simpson as Nordberg was pretty good. Plus, he pretended he didn't kill his wife. Now THAT'S acting.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 7:43 pm

Clint Eastwood has always been my favorite.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 7:57 pm

Philip Semour Hoffman has gotta be near the top of the list.

The thing about good actors is I never recognize them, I guess because they're effective. Now bad actors on the other hand are easy to name.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 7:58 pm

when I say recognize I mean recognize that they're acting well, not like I don't know who it is.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 9:29 pm

Seen the original Bad News Bears on TV the other night.

Best sports movie ever. OJ Simpson as Nordberg was pretty good.

BNB is awesome, but for me, it's gotta be Slapshot. It's the most quotable movie ever.

Simpson as Nordberg if fucking godhead for me. The hospital he's in is called Our Lady Of The Worthless Miracle & the scene with Neilsen & Nordberg's wife is one of my cinematic all-time favorites.

"Who could've done such a thing?!"
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 9:30 pm

Also, shame on me for not adding Bruce Campbell to this list somewhere.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 11:24 pm | Edited by: deadcityrebel

arch hall jr. (says maggot)
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 11:25 pm

toshiro mifune
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 11:41 pm

Watched Venus tonight. Peter O' Toole is a total class act!
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 11:48 pm

Clint Eastwood has always been my favorite.

I watched the entire Dirty Harry series recently and I have decided: He would have been a GREAT Hunter S. Thompson! He probably still would be.

Way better than Bill Murray but that isn't saying much. A little better than Johnny Depp because he'd be more natural. Harry Callahan should play HST before he dies. A.Cobb has spoken.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 11:56 pm

Simpson as Nordberg if fucking godhead for me. The hospital he's in is called Our Lady Of The Worthless Miracle & the scene with Neilsen & Nordberg's wife is one of my cinematic all-time favorites.

Yeah, Nordburg.

But, that's no way to die.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 12:21 am

Stands, you ol' dog... Punchin' a guy right where he lives!
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 5:29 am

hey 4 eyes
mr moto votes for Peter Lorre
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 8:42 am

Peter Lorre in "M" trumps em all. But he left the planet half a century ago.

Philip Seymour Hoffman was total shit in "Capote," but good in "Love Liza" and boogie and the others so I guess it evens out.

Now that I think about it, fuck his Lester Bangs impression too. Read his essay about "Astral Weeks" and realize Lester was more than some Jack Black in High Fidelity prototype.

Martin Sheen would win if he was always as good as he was in "Badlands."

Matthau deserves honorable mention for "Bad New Bears" and " A Face in the Crowd." Then he'd be demoted for them grumpier old men shits.

Actually he died a few years ago. never mind.

Speaking of, Anthony Quinn and Marcello Mastroianni lord over most of the deceased actors.

Warren Oates is long gone as well. He'd be at the top of the list is he wasn't though. Just ask Al Garcia.

No one mentioned Steve Buscemi?

Yea I'm sticking with Harry Dean. Go ask Paris, Texas, or Repo Man, or Roman Grant for that matter.

P.S. Wasn't there a Sopranos storyline about Iron Eyes Cody being Siciliano?
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 8:54 am

Marcello Mastroianni

If we are getting into deceased actors, I agree here. I would list for actors in another era the following: Robert Montgomery, Farley Granger, Lionel Barrymore and Gary Cooper.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 9:21 am | Edited by: rich riggler

Yeah, Slapshot is a winner. As is Rollerball. Paul Newman's not bad. Of course Bill Murray in Caddyshack, Stripes and Meatballs. Dustin Hoffman has gotta get consideration. For Midnight Cowboy alone. Also Al Pacino. Sean Penn as Spicoloi in Fast Times, Philip Seymour Hoffman's good (Boogie Nights!), not to mention Marky Mark (producer of Entourage too). Burt Reynolds rules too. (Actually anybody in Boogie Nights).
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 9:46 am

ROBERT DUVAL.

damn.

then clint howard.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 9:58 am

then clint howard.

Timmy Vulgar?
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 10:01 am

Elliot Gould, Alan Arkin (as Yossarian and in Feebie and The Bean), alltime fave is Harry Dean Stanton, he's the flat-out best. Oh, and Tabitha Cash.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 10:04 am

Bobby D is very good. And Deniro.

clint howard

The guy from Mission of Burma?
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 10:36 am | Edited by: paristheatre

I swear he was so good and believeable that I almost gave up littering

and Dabney Coleman
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 12:55 pm

[i]then clint howard.

Timmy Vulgar?
[/i]

EAGLEBAUER!!!!

.......nice set of pom poms!
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 8:02 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

In about an hour, on my TV, Harry Dean Stanton, Sean Penn, Elvis Costello and Charlie Sheen are gonna be smoking cigars and shooting the shit. I swear I could watch hours of that.

Best half hour of TV this millennium.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 9:15 pm

Best half hour of TV this millennium.
I didn't know what you were talking about until I started flipping around and saw it....that was brutal....the only high point being Sean penn telling Elvis Costello he would shove his glasses through his eyes...
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 9:25 pm

What are you talking about?
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 10:58 pm | Edited by: a cobb

Spicolli

My coworker got a tattoo on his calf of Spicolli from the cover and he got the tattooist to pause the movie so he could write "I DON'T KNOW" perfectly. It's my all-time favorite tattoo, barring the one he got on his other calf of his truck burning rubber. He sold the truck shortly after he got the tat.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 11:02 pm

What are you talking about?
Back off Mary Poppins
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 12:56 am | Edited by: Seamus

Max Schreck

honestly, my favorite movie role by anybody, ever.
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 10:08 am

Roger Clemens!
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 10:31 am | Edited by: skank police

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 11:16 am

ted knight had three of the greatest roles of all time:

1) judge smails in caddyshack
2) ted baxter on the mary tyler moore show
3) the narrator for the super friends

and caddyshack is far more quotable than slap shot, although slap shot is a great movie.
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 11:47 am

Changed my mind:Jack Elam!
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 12:14 pm

No mentions for James Coburn? Or William Hurt?
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 12:30 pm

Deceased? that's easy - alive, and still working is tough. Plus, a whole bunch of 'em I would have voted for ten or so years ago but now can't imagine giving up an hour and a half for (Mickey Rourke, to name one) Thank-you Joe for shaking up my memory - James Coburn - sure, one of the last of a breed there. But really, I'm having a hard time nominating. OK, Ladies? here's where I go out on a limb again. I would love to see Patricia Arquette in a well written role, with a top shelf director.
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 12:32 pm | Edited by: miss linda

Jaleel White. http://www.kellie-williams.com/fm/steve3.jpg

I already mentioned him before because he's the best actor that ever was, and ever will be!
This thread is OVER!
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 1:15 pm

Ben Kingsley
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 1:17 pm

Ben Kingsley

That's a joke, right?
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 5:12 pm

Jaleel White
Posted: Jul 23, 2008 11:51 pm

Alfred Molina
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 12:29 am

Alfred Molina

He's the jam as Doc Ock & he's a sunuvabitchin' Diego Rivera in the Frida Kahlo movie. He's also the 1st guy to die in Raiders Of The Lost Ark. (Throw me the idol, I throw you the whip!)
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 11:29 am

the guy who played johnny rotten

That was Vivian from the Young Ones! Don't yoou talk bad about him.

Best Actor Ever=Slim Pickens!!
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 1:12 pm

I just love to see Patricia Arquette in a tight-fitting top. whoo!
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 1:28 pm

Alfred Molina

He's the jam as Doc Ock & he's a sunuvabitchin' Diego Rivera in the Frida Kahlo movie. He's also the 1st guy to die in Raiders Of The Lost Ark. (Throw me the idol, I throw you the whip!)

He was one of the only good bits in Coffee and Cigareets. Speaking of which, I saw an ad for Steve Coogan's new movie "Hamlet 2" last night. Looks pretty silly.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 2:04 pm

Living?

I've got to go with Benicio del Toro or Javier Bardem
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 7:21 pm

Philip Seymour Hoffman was total shit in "Capote," but good in "Love Liza" and boogie and the others so I guess it evens out.

Now that I think about it, fuck his Lester Bangs impression too. Read his essay about "Astral Weeks" and realize Lester was more than some Jack Black in High Fidelity prototype.

capote was dragging down affair; toby jones' portrayal in infamous is much more exciting.

i think hoffman's work as bangs is OK; i hate cameron crowe pretty much--or at least the last 15 years--but as the only person here who has seen hoffman in True West on broadway and spent the day once with lester i am ready to say: hoffman's portrayal was pretty decent.l bangs' life, character, and writings are closer to zealous fan than rock god writer anyways.

i like that astral weeks essay though
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 7:29 pm

Rosie O'donnel

she really made me believe she was retarded in that one movie
she kicked sean penn's ass (and actually could as well)
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 7:57 pm

FW: Jaleel White (Steve Urkel)

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) --

Jaleel White, who played 'nerdy ' neighbor Steve Urkel on "Family Matters" found dead Monday. He was 29 years old.

White was pronounced dead on arrival after admission to an LA hospital early Monday morning. The death is being investigated as a suicide.

Born Jaleel Ahmad White, he began his career at the age of three acting in television commercials, before landing guest spots on shows such as "The Jeffersons" and "Mr. Belvedere." It was in 1989 that White landed the role that would make him famous, playing wacky neighbor 'Steve Urkel' on the ABC program "Family Matters."

Following the cancellation of "Family Matters" in 1997, friends claim White became obsessed with the character, and grew despondent, despite further successes as star and producer of the UPN sitcom "Grownups", and as a writer for NBA.com Neighbor and friend, Bradley Spencer alerted police after hearing what he described as "a loud bang" coming from White's Los Angeles apartment.

Authorities state that upon entering the home they discovered a young African-American male with an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. Also found was a note, which read simply "Did I do that?", a popular catchphrase from the show.

"Jaleel was an uncommonly good man, an exceptional role model and a great comedic actor," said William Bickley, who created the series, and Thomas L. Miller, one of the executive producers, in a joint statement.

"We feel privileged to have known him and worked with him. He'll be missed and remembered every day by his many, many friends," they said.

Actress Kellie Williams -- Laura Winslow on the series -- described White as a consummate professional actor. "Everyone adored him," she said.

"We have all lost a dear, dear brother," said Reginald VelJohnson, who played Carl Winslow. White, an only child, is survived by "cousins, aunts, uncles, and wonderful friends," Bickley said.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 10:45 pm

caddyshack is far more quotable than slap shot, although slap shot is a great movie.

We agree to disagree.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 11:19 pm | Edited by: bruce

i took a spanish test today and one of the the questions was who is your favorite actress, i couldn't think of one, luckily i had also been asked earlier if i knew paris and if i knew paris hilton (differant words) so i put hilton as my favorite actress
Posted: Jul 25, 2008 1:25 am

after Max Schreck, all other "actors" should have given up the trade and taken up seeds and plows.

what is the use of acting to man after Schreck?
Posted: Jul 25, 2008 5:36 am

It's simple really
Best Actor- The Duke
Best Musician- The Boss
Best Writer- The Buke (Bukowski)
Posted: Jul 25, 2008 6:06 pm

Robert Mitchum?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®