Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Amy Winehouse..
Posted: Feb 10, 2008 10:44 pm

.. giving thanks to her incarcerated husband in her acceptance speech.

Classic. Easily my favorite part of the night.
Posted: Feb 10, 2008 11:02 pm

she got in to the US to attend the grammys? i thought she was denied a visa
Posted: Feb 10, 2008 11:15 pm

"Live" via satellite.
Posted: Feb 10, 2008 11:33 pm

i louvre her.
Posted: Feb 10, 2008 11:41 pm

Bat shit crazy. That Rehab song is too fucking catchy though.
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 12:39 am

would you believe i have never heard a single note of hers? not one note... i wouldn't recognize her if you played her full blast ... well, except, i guess if i heard the words 'rehab' in a song....
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 1:00 am

It's the only song I know by her. The Dap Kings are her backing band on it (which was the only reason I noticed the song in the first place)
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 1:07 am

The Dap Kings are her backing band on it

yeah - that's the only reason i knew who she was... because i was talking w/ someone about the dap kings and they said they were backing amy winehouse... but i never ventured out of my way to hear it.
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 1:12 am

I like that record, but after hearing it in almost every single bar and restaurant I went in in NYC last year I'm not sure if I could take one more note of it....
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 1:15 am

its probably better than not being able to get lily allen out of your head
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 1:26 am

ts probably better than not being able to get lily allen out of your head

sorry...
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 1:50 am

I got her pregnant!
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 2:08 am

what's wrong with lily allen?
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 2:15 am

what's wrong with lily allen?

i don't know.... i just don't like her music and her pronounced english accent. it too teenage for me - her whole thing
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 4:19 am

tiny, whiney
jewish princess
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 7:17 am

.....pulp fiction eh?
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 8:51 am

I'll take my homegirl Jully Black's version Of Etta James' "Seven Day Fool" over the whole lot of 'em.
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 8:52 am

giving thanks to her incarcerated husband in her acceptance speech.

YouTube?

I saw a clip from the performance and it looked/sounded liked Special AKA performing with a tarted up sick, tranny cat.
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 10:11 am

missed it, but that sounds great!
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 11:07 am

lily allen

There's a name I keep seeing everywhere but haven't heard a note of.
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 12:29 pm

I beginning to realize that Amy W. is more hype than substance.

.. giving thanks to her incarcerated husband in her acceptance speech.

Classic. Easily my favorite part of the night.

Jerry, why are you watching the grammys anyway?
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 2:17 pm

miss linda, you would LOVE amy winehouse! She looks worser than you on your worst wig day!

but... MISS RICHWAD was a whole nother thing yesterday. YOWCH!
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 2:20 pm

and her pronounced english accent

That annoying trend seemed to have been kicked off by the Streets a few years ago and it's been aped by many across genres.
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 2:30 pm

There's a name I keep seeing everywhere but haven't heard a note of.

This is the only song I've heard by her:

I didn't think anything of it the first couple times I heard it, but then I couldn't get that chorus outta my head.
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 3:28 pm

This is the only song I've heard by her:

reminds me of this:
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 3:30 pm

That annoying trend seemed to have been kicked off by the Streets a few years ago and it's been aped by many across genres.

I just heard that ridiculous song "Walking on the Sun" by Smashmouth and thought about this. Were Smashmouth even Brits?
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 4:18 pm

I saw a video of Lily Allen swilling Yagermeister while doing a pretty good version of "Gangsters" by the Specials at Bonaroo. I couldn't find it again when I looked for it just now, so please enjoy this video of Lily Allen botching "Gangsters" in front of a very large number of Brazilians.
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 4:25 pm

I just heard that ridiculous song "Walking on the Sun" by Smashmouth and thought about this. Were Smashmouth even Brits?

no, they're from the bay area. and they're ridiculous. ridiculously awesome.
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 4:33 pm

She may not wanna go to rehab but she NEEDS to go to Burger King and get a double whopper or two
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 4:41 pm

Jerry, why are you watching the grammys anyway?

You know, I asked myself this same question last night. I looked over at ashley and said we had officially lamed out for watching the grammys and not being at the buccaneer.
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 5:56 pm

Yes it is! Kate Nash is the latest. She has more of a little-girl-with-acoustic-guitar thing going on, while Lily is more r&b-pop. Up next with awful accent: Tawiah.
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 8:21 pm

Two days ago I had no idea who Amy Winehouse was. Jerry kept saying he had that song stuck in his head - you know the one - and kept asking me if I knew it. I didn't. He sounded like Axl Rose. Now I can't get the damn thing out of my head. Thanks hooker.
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 8:54 pm

no, they're from the bay area. and they're ridiculous. ridiculously awesome.

Did they have any other songs? That song is just so unbelievably ridiculous:

ARTIST: Smash Mouth
TITLE: Walking on the Sun
Lyrics and Chords

[Capo 1]

It ain't no joke I'd like to buy the world a toke
And teach the world to sing in perfect harmony
And teach the world to snuff the fires and the liars
Hey I know it's just a song but it's spice for the recipe
This is a love attack I know it went out but it's back
It's just like any fad it retracts before impact
And just like fashion it's a passion for the with it and hip
If you got the goods they'll come and buy it just to stay in the clique

/ Gm C Dm C / :

{Refrain}
So don't delay act now supplies are running out
Allow if you're still alive six to eight years to arrive
And if you swallow there may be a tomorrow
But if the offer's shunned you might as well be walkin' on the sun

/ Gm C Dm C / / / Gm C D - 1st /

Twenty-five years ago they spoke out and they broke out
Of recession and oppression and together they toked
And they folked out with guitars around a bonfire
Just singin' and clappin' man what the hell happened
Then some were spellbound some were hellbound, some they fell down
And some got back up and fought back 'gainst the melt down
And their kids were hippie chicks all hypocrites
Because fashion is smashin' the true meaning of it

{Refrain}

It ain't no joke when a mama's handkerchief is soaked
With her tears because her baby's life has been revoked
The bond is broke up so choke up and focus on the close up
Mr. Wizard can't perform no godlike hocus-pocus
So don't sit back kick back and watch the world get bushwhacked
News at ten, your neighborhood is under attack
Put away the crack before the crack puts you away
You need to be there when your baby's old enough to relate

{Refrain}

You might as well be walkin' on the sun (4X)
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 11:46 pm

They had a few other songs. A cover they did a while back is in a pizza hut commercial right now. They had a minor hit after that one but it isn't the one by Sugar Ray or Barenaked Ladies. It's the other one.

The best thing Amy Winehouse could do for her career is to die young, but it may be too late. What a "shame."
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 12:25 am

Yes it is! Kate Nash is the latest.

dude from urge overkill?
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 12:32 am

They had a few other songs
"All Star", which I actually like.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 12:46 am

Hey now, your an all star.

That shit is not as good as "walkin" but I guess people here would tell you "that's not saying much." Fuck them. They'll probably say they don't like Boys 2 Men and Mariah Carey either. Fuck them. I've seen serious injuries caused by head-nod-avoidance. Not gonna happen to me. My head be rockin' like a motherfucker.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 9:01 am | Edited by: eric o

for some inexplicable reason Smashmouth has made a career out of "Walking On The Sun" and "Can't Get Enough Of You Baby"- ? And Mysterians jam.

For some even more inexplicable reason I think that's great. what is wrong with me?

Faux Cal Beach Brit rules!
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 9:07 am

don't forget they also probably made a million by covering "I'm a Believer" which was on some disney movie soundtrack.

I think of all the shitty late 90's post-ska craze bands they're the most tolerable. By far.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 9:16 am

I don't know what reminded me of this, but back in '97 I lived over this guy and he would play nothing, and I mean nothing, but 311. Loud. Volume dial turned up so loud it would make my apartment shake.

I didn't hear it for a couple of days and then found out from his girlfriend that he'd gotten another dui and had to go away for six months. Sweet.

I had moved out by the time he was able to rock the 311 again.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 9:41 am

For some even more inexplicable reason I think that's great. what is wrong with me?

Drugs.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 9:49 am

on some disney movie soundtrack

Dreamworks, actually.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 11:30 am

Hi, I'm Mark Beef
and I like that new Matchbox 20 song
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 11:44 am

Did Winehouse mention Camden Town being burnt down at the Grammys? I was gonna go hang out with her and Pete Doherty at their favourite pub on Saturday, the Hawley Arms, but it was destroyed by a cigarette - a huge, destroying cigarette.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 11:47 am

yeah

I thought that was cockney for "bring me crack cocaine NOW!!"
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 12:07 pm

but back in '97 I lived over this guy and he would play nothing, and I mean nothing, but 311. Loud. Volume dial turned up so loud it would make my apartment shake.

I didn't hear it for a couple of days and then found out from his girlfriend that he'd gotten another dui and had to go away for six months. Sweet.

When he got out of jail, I would have been going in....for murder
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 12:21 pm

miss linda, you would LOVE amy winehouse! She looks worser than you on your worst wig day!

What are you saying, that I need a new drinking buddy?
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 1:12 pm

I like that Jew Broads get to be soulful
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 3:23 pm

that shit is not soulful. just cuz she got the dap kings don'
t mean shit. that delivery and subject matter is strictly for now generation dipshits. i'm basing this on the one song i heard from a link in this thread. fuck that dumb cunt. she's exploiting old shit and ruining it.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 3:38 pm

I lived over this guy and he would play nothing, and I mean nothing, but 311.

I went to a Big 12 university; imagine your apartment complex, only it's a college town of 90,000 people ... (311 is from Nebraska)
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 3:56 pm

(311 is from Nebraska)

i saw them open for fugazi in omaha in 1990 when they were called the fish hippoes. they announced their name change to 311 at the end of their set. weird. and lame.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 5:09 pm

They'll probably say they don't like Boys 2 Men and Mariah Carey either.

I'd never say this. But Smashmouth on their best day don't touch "I'll Make Love to You" or "We Belong Together."
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 5:40 pm

that shit is not soulful. just cuz she got the dap kings don'
t mean shit. that delivery and subject matter is strictly for now generation dipshits. i'm basing this on the one song i heard from a link in this thread. fuck that dumb cunt. she's exploiting old shit and ruining it.

me and bazooka joe on the same wavelength. That girl is awful. That song is catchy, but awful. And it made me embarrassed to see the...backup singers doing that handclap shit and shit. I also found it really, really creepy to see her singing to her father, "My daddy says I don't need to go..." ewwww.

And, speaking of Mariah (which, oddly, I was going to do in this thread before you did it, saispas!) I've suddenly become quite enamored of her. I mean, I've always been a pop music whore, and lately just hearing her on the radio makes me really happy. "Sweet, sweet fantasy baby..."
Jesus. I'd rather hear that than some ironic heroin addict clapping her hands with the Dap Kings. I don't even care if her voice is ironically low and sultry. She takes white soul to a whole nother distasteful level. I'd rather hear Natasha Bettingfield and Joss Stone anyday.

That said, that's a damned catchy tune. But just a little too ironic and "precious" for me.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 5:58 pm

he'd gotten another dui and had to go away for six months. Sweet.

Too bad he had to go to jail before you had a chance to kill him.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 6:43 pm

What's ironic about that song? I don't get it. She's obviously got drug and alcohol problems, and she doesn't want to goto rehab. Nothing ironic about that whatsoever.

Also, how is heroin addiction ironic? Anyway, she's into blow not dope as far as I can tell.

Only song I've heard is Rehab. It sounded fine.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 6:56 pm

don't you understand, kevin, that ironic has gotten a whole new meaning since the 90's and Ms. I'm Here To Remind You
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 7:00 pm

kay. i just learned moe about smashmouth than i ever needed to know. on tHE GONER BOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! damn it pepople!

are they really british? i figured they wee from Biloxi or somewhere.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 7:02 pm

oh yeah. i can't spell.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 7:03 pm

BRITNEY- what are you doing tonight, woman!?
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 7:15 pm

goddamn her delivery fucking SUCKS. she's right up there with that dumb slut from the bellrays.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 7:16 pm

and sharon jackson sucks too.

seriously. S.U.C.K.S.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 7:42 pm

hit me up holly; thinkin i'm just drinkin some wine

seriously people. Smash mouth?
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 7:44 pm

fuck smash mouth and that whine house bitch. never heard her, never will, God willing...
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 7:45 pm

god's will is man's son.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 7:59 pm

'bout to call you- but be warned i have been taking sick naps and have some really interesting sleep sculptures going on on top my head.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 8:01 pm | Edited by: woodsy

im dumb- i dont have your # and mcs real busy apparently (shocking).

send it to hollywouldnt at mac.com
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 8:16 pm

I've suddenly become quite enamored of her.

She's great; Mariah, that is. Even her public breakdown was better than Amy Winehouse's. More Long Island floozy "I'm gonna climb into my shoe closet and not ever come out...when MTV is filming!!!!!" than some typical cutting your arms superficially and stumbling into paparazzi. They just don't know how to do it these days.

seriously people. Smash mouth?

SERIOUSLY!!!
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 8:20 pm

it's JONES, dumbass.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 8:22 pm

Even her public breakdown was better than Amy Winehouse's.

Has she had a public breakdown? I thought she was all fucked up from the start and that's what helped push Rehab.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 8:35 pm

And, speaking of Mariah (which, oddly, I was going to do in this thread before you did it, saispas!) I've suddenly become quite enamored of her. I mean, I've always been a pop music whore, and lately just hearing her on the radio makes me really happy. "Sweet, sweet fantasy baby..."
"Sweet, sweet fantasy baby..."
Totally great use of the "Genius of Love" sample. And she wasn't over-using that "whistle register" singing back then, either. I'd much rather have "Fantasy" stuck in my head all day than "Rehab"- and I don't even think Winehouse is all that bad. I'm not into Joss Stone, though.

(311 is from Nebraska)
i saw them open for fugazi in omaha in 1990 when they were called the fish hippoes. they announced their name change to 311 at the end of their set. weird. and lame.

I was at that show, too! I cursed Fugazi for always requesting "diverse opening acts," if it meant I'd have to see a band like 311.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 8:38 pm

banned,
maybe it's just made ironic by the whole "this is really funny, I should be in rehab" flirty eye thing that's going on when she can barely stand up.
I thought her drug of choice was opiates, but I certainly could be wrong.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 8:42 pm

it's JONES, dumbass.

you would know, loser faggot pasty honkie no soul nose picker.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 8:43 pm

go listen to some goo goo delrays.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 8:46 pm

Has she had a public breakdown?

I thought she wasn't really all that fucked up when Rehab came out but then she got all famous and well, you know the rest. She has had a very public breakdown; kind of the Britney of Great Britain.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 8:46 pm

I went to highschool with the keyboard player from Smashmouth.

He is a bazillionaire now.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 8:47 pm | Edited by: Alisa

I actually think this has been discussed before, complete with famous nasty crotch shot.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 8:48 pm

Women hate women.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 8:50 pm

Posted: Feb 12, 2008 8:55 pm

If we are going to elevate Mariah Carey to greatness and put Sharon Jones in her place, can we please bow down to this crazy bitch?
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 8:57 pm

Ima bout that.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 10:44 pm | Edited by: a cobb

Amy Winehouse and Oasis should just fuck already. So she likes to do drugs and get the shit kicked out of her. Who doesn't. Can we please get back on the topic of mid-90's pop?

What's ironic about that song?

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironic_%28song%29]
That's better.[/url]
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 10:47 pm

well you get the idea....
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 10:54 pm

If we are going to elevate Mariah Carey to greatness and put Sharon Jones in her place, can we please bow down to this crazy bitch?

Count me in! Of course it helps that's one of my all time favorite slow jams...
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 12:45 am

i seem to like mary j blige whenever i hear her, so sure.

sharon jones doesn't have the best voice (def not in the league of ladies we've been discussing) but she does command a stage like just about no one short of the mighty BLOWFLY!

or a non-wacked naye dog mayer.

she's tough!
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 1:08 am

Wasn't her Grammy 'Best New Artist Of The Year'? Doesn't that guarantee her career is over?

Sharon Jones is tough...and she doesn't annoy the fuck out of me onstage like the lady in the Bel Rays did.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 1:18 am

can we please bow down to this crazy bitch?

That's not Betty Davis! We was even too crazy for Miles.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 1:41 am

Here's my 2 cents.....

I really like Lily Allen....that record is a lot of fun, I'm pretty sure she wrote all the lyrics and whomever put together the music on that record was pretty sharp......

I also like that latest Amy Winehouse record, especially the track she wrote with Ashford and Simpson...she also writes all her own lyrics, some of which I quite like....

Sharon Jones is OK...she's a great performer with an average but expressive voice backed up by a pretty killer band(who also backed up Amy Winehouse on a lot of that last record)....all of her songs are written by her svengali bass player/label owner, and I give a lot of credit to people who write their own material....

Ms Blige has soul, Alicia Keys doesn't have a drop...
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 2:10 am | Edited by: The Driver

I also like that latest Amy Winehouse record, especially the track she wrote with Ashford and Simpson...

"Ain't No Mountain High Enough"...?
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 8:14 am

no no on the AK.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 9:05 am

can we please get back to talking about Smashmouth?
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 9:26 am | Edited by: bazooka joe

when i was a sub teacher, this little kid told me i looked like the guy from "SMATH-MOUSH."
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 9:44 am

"HEY NOW YOU'RE AN ALL-STAR GET YOUR GAME ON GO PLAY!"

another S-Mouth smash!

it also appears that they've updated "why can't we be friends" and "i'm a believer!" great!
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 10:00 am

She's great; Mariah, that is. Even her public breakdown was better than Amy Winehouse's. More Long Island floozy "I'm gonna climb into my shoe closet and not ever come out...when MTV is filming!!!!!" than some typical cutting your arms superficially and stumbling into paparazzi. They just don't know how to do it these days.

Hah.
I am just now remembering that a good friend of mine once dated this girl who was rooming with MC's best friend at the time. Towson State (MD), I believe; this would have been '91-92 time frame. Judging by the stories she was telling that girl was crazy even back then, unfortunately I can't remember particulars.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 12:00 pm

Sharon Jones is OK...she's a great performer with an average but expressive voice backed up by a pretty killer band(who also backed up Amy Winehouse on a lot of that last record).... definitely entertaining live show. put Jones and her band in a small venue or loft and you've got a t-total party i don't listen to the records but she and her band swing live, big time.

Mary J defecates on all this hate and then polishes it off in the studio like it's a gold rope neckchain.

Alicia Keys had her 15 minutes with "Falling in and out of love with you" -that song is a monster. with dookie braids. but that's about it
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 12:01 pm

oh and Winehouse is a Godsend. Rehab. Seriously? genius.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 12:02 pm

damn you eric. i'll have that goddamned song (lyric) in my head all day
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 12:44 pm

http://idontlikeyouinthatway.com

it's a picture of lily allen (i don't even know who this chick is) with a her fist in her mouth. enjoy pervs.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 1:47 pm

Have y'all ever realized how ubiquitous that All Star song is? In tons of movie trailers and movies (in one of the Shreks), commercials and it'll probably be played at sports contests until the end of time like We Are the Champions. Those guys must have millions. It is a testament to their genius or their extremely bland middle-of-the-roadness? You decide.

Meanwhile, few will probably remember Amy Winehouse in a few more years. You think they'll ever play Rehab at the World Series? I THINK NOT!
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 1:53 pm

I'm pretty sure catered that smashmouth "why can't we be friends" shoot.
Total bummer.
TOTAL! BUMMER!
Those guys we're total dicks. Not as bad as ICP though.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 2:10 pm

You think they'll ever play Rehab at the World Series? sure. when Roger Clemens gets back on the mound. Tip o the cap to gigantor wifey in the stands.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 2:14 pm | Edited by: Hadda Bad Day

Sharon Jones is OK...she's a great performer with an average but expressive voice backed up by a pretty killer ban

I was fucking bored sill at the Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings show last year here in Los Angeles...

There was no star-power
NONE
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 2:37 pm

I'd rather hear Natasha Bettingfield and Joss Stone anyday.

Have at it!
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 2:39 pm

There was no star-power
NONE

you know who has star power out the ass?

MISS ALEX WHITE.

our big red afro'd friend should be HUGE.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 2:42 pm

Mary J defecates on all this hate and then polishes it off in the studio like it's a gold rope neckchain.

My fave moment of the last Top Model was when the Aspergers girl won the challenge where Mary J would style her for the black women's makeup ad. She tried to hug Mary J, whose face betrayed that she wished she could have reciprocated with a human size Kleenex betwixt her and the Aspergers girl.

Then she said something to the effect of "Let's start by putting some color on her." They then made her up like she was "passing".

And yes, All Star is everywhere on ESPN. They are rich!
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 2:55 pm

Alex Winehouse
She's class with a glass

By all accounts, it was the best of weekends. On Saturday, my League Cup Final tickets arrived, and we toughed it out to secure three hard-earned points up at Derby. The next day, I got my sister back, and had a front row seat to see her kick ass and take over the world.

Not that I or any of the family held out much hope that this day was going to come. A few weeks earlier, a visit to Amy’s flat with my girlfriend Hayley saw Amy still struggling to conquer her demons. Clearly in the wake of a hit from the old crack pipe, it was hard to take in that the barely communicative shell in front of us was my own flesh and blood. A few days later came that video leak, and the emergency meeting with Lucian Grainge that finally got her into rehab. That had been the last time I had seen her.

I should mention here that we all knew how bad her condition was. There was never any denial on the part of my parents, whose fears and anxiety over their only daughter had made them both ill. Dad was on the verge of a breakdown, and Mum . . . well, Mum was Mum " stoic on the outside, but one can only guess at the torment that was going on within.

So Amy entered rehab, and Mum and Dad could relax slightly. She wasn’t allowed visitors, but the reports we got were all good. Detox was tough but she did it. Getting her back on foods proved to be more of a problem, but she started to put on weight. She was still eating rubbish " a trait we share courtesy of our father’s penchant for anything that could result in an early onset of diabetes " but she was keeping it down rather than bolting for the nearest toilet. She was even ready, it was whispered, for the Grammys.

Only the US Government didn’t see it that way. Visa denied, her hopes of making it out to Los Angeles were dashed, and she was gutted. Despite having the visa eventually granted, it came too late for her to fly to the States, and so it came to be that, rather than sharing a stage with Tony Ben-nett at the Staples Centre, she’d be taking in the evening with her family in London. LA’s loss was most definitely our gain.

It was without a shadow of a doubt the greatest night our family has enjoyed in a long, long time. Having not seen her since that fateful night, I had no idea what kind of state she’d be in. Dad, despite having spent more time with her than I, was a tense, nervous wreck, snapping at everyone in sight. Mum was, as expected, the very definition of stoicism. The OED should take note. Fortunately, two glasses of champagne steadied my nerves. We were by no means alone on this particular matter. If a close family member lived within decent driving distance of the Riverside Studios, they were in attendance. Amy’s oldest friends, Juliette, Jessica and Lauren, were keen to show their support. Indeed, it was as if everyone crammed in to the studio knew they were about to witness something great. However, greatness, of course, isn’t always accompanied by something good.

But, as history will now record, our fears were misguided. The first time we heard her was from behind the stage curtain, as she took the mickey out of the stage manager telling the audience how to behave. Her banter was sparkling and funny. There were to be two rehearsals. We took our seats, I took a big swig from my glass, and the curtain came up. And there was my sister, looking and sounding better than I had seen her in two years.

If I told you she sounded good in rehearsals, then her live performance was truly from another planet. This girl, lucky if she’s measured at 5ft 2in without heels and beehive, strode the stage like a giant. Sitting there watching her was like watching a triumphant ending of a biopic. She had put everything into this performance, and it showed with each perfect note, every knowing glance at the television cameras. It was an electrically charged performance that sent kilowatts through the audience. Never mind that it was four in the morning " the place was literally jumping, with all thoughts of sleep forgotten.

Her reaction to winning the Best Record award was genuine and truly moving. For the first time in God only knows how long, my parents were truly happy, and Amy was too. So of course was I. We hugged and kissed, and suddenly the world melted away; we were alone, a loving family that has suffered so much and " we deeply wish " come out the other side.

I spoke to her later as she went for a quiet fag, and she was as bright and vivacious as she had been before her demons took over. That was my happiest moment of the night. We were able to have a normal conversation, chatting about her wanting to learn to drive, the pros and cons of wearing a handlebar moustache (a look I’m trying to cultivate, courtesy of too many hours watching Deadwood), how Hayley was, and yes, even being off drugs. She didn’t miss crack, she told me, and was glad to be rid of it, which was a nice thing to hear. She ended by telling me that she was planning to go quad-biking with the Osbournes at some point, which was cool, until I remembered that this particular pursuit nearly killed Ozzy. So, something else to worry about. Still, it makes a change to have a trivial concern. Cigarette finished, we returned to our family to say our goodnights and head home.

Yes, the best of weekends. Spurs continue their resurgence, but most importantly of all very definite signs that Amy " the real Amy " is back among us. The hope, of course, is that this time it’s for real.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 3:02 pm

when i was a sub teacher, this little kid told me i looked like the guy from "SMATH-MOUSH."
Weird... I just told someone the same thing yesterday. Without the teacher part.

Smashmouth is everywhere AND annoying. The worst part is they're about the only "60s" -music influenced band played on modern radio.

Not that I was ever into them but anyone ever notice how the singer for SM and the singer for Jawbreaker sound very similar? JB doesn't seem to have the same fake-British thing going though.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 3:45 pm

I was fucking bored sill at the Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings show last year here in Los Angeles...

i think your problem was that you saw a show in LA, i don't mean by Sharon Jones, i mean ANY show... and i'm even one of the people who LIKES la.. every show i've been to there has been booooooring. shitty crowds.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 4:42 pm

Do All of you people own a A.Winehouse C.D.?
Or did you all jump on the TMZ/Access Hollywood/the BUZZ band wagon?
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 4:54 pm

Amy Winehouse reminds me of what would happen if the bitch from the Detroit Cobras got famous.

Just sayin'.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 4:56 pm

if the bitch from the Detroit Cobras got famous.

She act's like she is.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 5:09 pm

Amy Winehouse reminds me of what would happen if the bitch from the Detroit Cobras got famous.

Just sayin'.

you mean if she wrote her own songs?

JUST SAYIN'.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 6:19 pm

you call those "songs?"
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 7:13 pm

Sharon Jones is OK

She didn't blow me away live like I had hoped but How Long, that reggae tune off the new album, is fucking excellent.

Also, GREAT version of This Land is Your Land.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 7:13 pm

MISS ALEX WHITE.

nuff said.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 7:14 pm

you call those \"songs?\"

why yes, joe

ps boogalooooo!!!
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 7:17 pm

i have no idea what alex has to do with this.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 8:11 pm

you mean if she wrote her own songs?

Fine. I guess Amy Winehouse has one redeeming quality. But a quality that tabloid-reading mouth breahters (i.e. the general public) really don't give a fuck about.

JUST SAYIN'
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 8:32 pm

i have no idea what alex has to do with this.

she is, and should be the star here, and there would be no complaints. fuckin' bitch rules.
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 11:57 pm

You lose your shape on hard drugs.
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 12:36 am

I'm no Jan Michael Vincent, but that guy from Smashmouth is the ugliest guy in Rock......

"HEY NOW YOU'RE AN ALL-STAR GET YOUR GAME ON GO PLAY!"

Any band that doesn't record a song that ESPN might play a million times is dumb.....

"Allstar" is no "Tubthumping"
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 1:01 am

Tubthumping

rules.
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 10:28 am

just listened to back to black.
this is a good album.
about 7 or 9 songs too long, but still.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®