Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Snowboard NOOB! help! (bonus denver tips a plus)
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 6:15 pm

okay... going smoboarding for the 1st time next weekend, some mountain or something outside of denver. not concerned about being all shaun white gen x cool, just need to know what i need to get through a day.

i have no winter clothes. am buying stuff saturday. i need stuff i'll actually wear after next weekend. Of course the Afrika Bambaataa glasses are a must. I'll wear those all the time in Memphis. What else do I need?

HELP!

(ps probably trying to squeeze in some skating on friday... denver skatepark?

and wax trax?)
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 6:16 pm

probably going to black lips show next weekend, too, if i can still stand.
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 6:20 pm

what mountain are you riding at? I've got a good friend in Breckenridge who's a big Oblivians fan and could probably hook you up with some gear, if that was your destination.....also , talk to Skank Police, she lives in Denver, might know somebody with some stuff..
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 6:28 pm

Never done it either, but from what I've seen you need to pack a shitload of Mountain Dew. Preferably Code Red or Live Wire.

I think that's about it.
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 6:40 pm

You need snow pants and lots of layers. You need wool or some fancy new age material to keep you dry and warm. Get some good gloves and good socks. I'm pretty sure you can rent boots and other equipment.

From what I hear, be prepared to be sore from head to toe and to vow never to snowboard again, then that's about the time that you catch on and either love it or hate it (the big ski vs snowboard debate)

I love, love love, denver so enjoy the sunny weather! If you have time off the mountain and feel like doing something different check out the 16th street mall downtown - there is (or used to be ) a free trolley that takes you up and down the walking mall. There are tons of restaurants and shopping all along there. Another good area for eating and shopping is Pearl street near the DU/Wash park area. Denver's public transportations is awesome and will even get you back and forth from as far away as Boulder, if you want to visit hippie land.

Hope you have lots of fun!
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 6:40 pm

i think COPPER MOUNTAIN or COPPERHEAD ROAD or something. it was the closest to j9's mom's house. prob where we're going.

will stock up on the doo!
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 6:42 pm

I haven't snowboarded in years (I was always more of a fan of skiing). It was very frustrating when I first learned, but my skating experience as a kid seemed to help me catch on more quickly. Just be prepared to fall. A lot. I remember that just when I thought I had the hang of it I would fall unexpectedly because I caught an edge. Be ready for that, because it seems to be the norm. I think surfing experience would also probably help too.
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 6:45 pm

Copper's fun, i think SP ski's there a lot, she'll prolly have some tips for ya...if you skate, you'll pick it up quick, but that first day's a bitch...
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 6:48 pm

i got one day. been skiing once. whoo!

matto- you skated denver parks? if it's warm enough, i'ma roll around a bit.
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 6:54 pm

the downtown park is weird but kinda fun, if it was summer there's some grindline shit up in fairplay, over the pass from breck , that's really fun, but that's gotta be buried right now...one of my old friends also built a skater/swimmer pool in his yard somewhere in Denver...looks killer, but don't have his number at present...I'll see if I can dig up anything else good thereabouts...
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 6:56 pm

everything windy said, but i'll add:
- its not a question of your manhood to wear pantyhose. they are a good, cheap baselayer.
- you've got a flask, right?
- work on a french or austrian accent
- why the fuck not, wear an eye patch!
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 6:59 pm

The Boulder park looks cool-ish, relatively deep bowls, metal cope...typical...both that and denver are outdoor, so it would depend how much snow's on the ground I guess...
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 7:14 pm

I don't know shit about snowboarding, but I know one thing about Denver.
Have money for the toll roads when you get out of the airport.
That's about all I know.
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 7:21 pm

Borrow some snow pants or bibs - check thrift stores/valuevillage for these, if you have them. You will get real wet since most of your time will be spent falling on your ass. You might wait until you get there to thriftstore shop as they probably have more shit that people, like yourself, purchase and then unload.

For a jacket, something you might actually use beyond skiing, consider a softshell. You can get them for around $100 and they are really great for all conditions as they are generally thin, waterproof and they breathe - that's the important part. Layer underneath them with whatever. Gloves too. Hat or helmet, but that's easy to come by.
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 7:34 pm

forecast is 52/26, no snow for the week... can't be snow on the ground, right?
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 7:44 pm

Right....it was 50 last week in Michigan and there are only about 10" of snow of the ground right now...I think you'll be ok.
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 7:47 pm

it'll just have a nice hard, bone breaking crust on top.

also I think when you're a mile high, water freezes at like 60 degrees.
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 7:48 pm

could be in denver....it is 5000 feet plus...but i'm betting the skater's there know how to keep the parks clean....tho I bet the big bowls will have shit in em....there'll damn sure be snow on the ground up by copper....
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 8:34 pm | Edited by: skank police

Have money for the toll roads when you get out of the airport.

Only if you get on the wrong one... (76, I think). I-70, no tolls.

Yeah, Eric, e-mail me and I'll give you my number, my husband can lend you all sorts of gear (he ski's not boards, but all his other gear should fit fine). We're skiing Copper this Sunday and Monday, they're getting shittons of snow as we speak, a great season so far. I'll be at Black Lips too, and we live near the downtown skatepark.

Anyhow: jasorema at msn.com or bonedeputy at yahoo.com
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 9:25 pm

Brah, Breck! Unkind. You needa kickit in a rap a ho basin.

Full report on Wax Trax when you get back. Check the clearance singles first.
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 9:25 pm

SERIOUSLY, DO NOT GO BUY A BUNCH OF SHIT! WE HAVE IT ALL!
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 9:44 pm

make sure you get the wrist guards, first time i broke my wrist was snowboarding
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 9:52 pm

and bring a camera...we want documentation!
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 10:37 pm

um, ran out of film!
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 10:39 pm

SP, sent you an email. Thanks for the help!
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 10:49 pm | Edited by: dale

You got to get the right kind of jacket. Check out the one at the bottom.
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 11:03 pm

eric - I just emailed you contact info for a really good pal out that-a-way.
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 11:36 pm

thanks dale. you know i'd only wear the latest, most pastel outfit on the mountain!
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 11:45 pm

There was a guy in high school who actually had a jacket like that.

Snowboarding clothes for me were always long-johns, jeans, a trip to the sporting goods store for 2nd cheapest pair of snow pants. The rest of the stuff needed like gloves, jackets, hats etc were always around.

Falling is like falling of a skateboard. I fell a lot but actually dig it more than skateboarding. Seemed to work better for me.

Get some Tiger Balm too. Bones-n-muscle get a little pulled and sore as ya get older. Especially if you aren't used to the snow and cold.
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 11:49 pm

most pastel outfit on the mountain!

You'd be surprised, that shit is the tight ironic thrift tee of the slopes these days. You'll spot a few "really hilarious/I love that guy/party!" brah-douches, for certain.
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 11:52 pm

I worked at a Sally Army for a couple of years and the lady in charge of the clothes would always want to toss them out and I'd say "No, put it out for .59 cents more and it'll be sold by closing time." They always were too.
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 12:29 am

make sure you get the wrist guards,

crucial.

I'd just ski if I were you, less chance of getting hurt.
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 12:39 am

no way...if you skate, snowboarding's way more natural...and safe..
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 12:45 am

i'm thinking yeah... skiing was backwards- push off outside to turn. i wanna lean into turns, bury that edge, carve the mofo!
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 12:48 am

You are going to fall down 1000X more than if you were skiing.
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 12:51 am

Posted: Feb 9, 2008 1:00 am

snowboarding makes way more sense for powder too...more sureface area...and you're goin' to where the good stuff is!
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 1:04 am

sureface?
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 1:06 am

You will get real wet since most of your time will be spent falling on your ass.

nice

who's bringing the camera?
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 1:58 am

Maaan,Denver Schmenver! Old Lady relatives considered,you shoulda just headed up Mt. Hood way! Paul Rotzz heard it was the best snow in the world,what more of an endorsement do you need? Hella Xtreme D'oh!

Did i mention no Sales Tax yet? We'll make an OryGoner of you yet, erico...
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 8:17 am

Take a lesson.

And remember:
WWKD? What Would KISS Do?

BLACK DIAMOND!
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 9:25 am

all the way.
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 10:03 am

If renting boots and board the most money should be spent on your shell/jacket. Make sure your whole outer-layer is waterproof or you'll get wet & freeze your ass off. Used ski pants, and/or jacket should be okay...new jacket would be better. Walmart has super cheap waterproof Thinsulate gloves. Wicking socks (some % poly) are a must because if your feet ain't happy ain't nobody happy. Goggles, or glasses, and a knit-hat and the rest of the layers depend on how damn cold it is.

Don't stick your hands/arms out to break your fall like you did skating...just put 'em next to your body or you could break your wrist and will be sore as hell. You'll be sore anyway, but have fun carving.
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 11:07 am

I dunno, used to fuck up my knees snowboarding - catch an edge turning, board sticks in powder, body twists the way you were heading, knees taking the insult of your skill-less-ness. If it's crusty, it will hurt much more. Take time getting off the chairlift. It's a lot harder to get off when one foot is stuck in and the other is booted. You kinda have to lead with the board, take one step to push off and then, hopefully, ride it to the bottom of the lift slope. I could never get that part right and usually flopped around, fell and then slid out of the way of the people behind me. Have fun. These days, I'd rather go skiing.

You should think about the softshell - it's a really good investment if you're doing things outdoors in different kinds of weather.
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 12:07 pm

Blue jeans and a flask. That's all you need.
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 12:45 pm

a flask. That's all you need.

and your cel phone w/ GPS in it for when you get lost and need to call the rescue dogs to fetch you
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 5:33 pm

I've been skiing my whole life and I've tried snowboarding a few times. All I can say is that it hurts. You'll either fall backwards on your ass, or fall forwards on your wrists. Wrist guards and some ass padding is helpful.
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 5:42 pm

just stay compressed with your knees and keep mind of your speed and your leading edge...you catch that at speed and it feels like you got in a car accident...but once you get it, it's cake.....
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 5:54 pm

heel toe heel toe heel toe heel toe heel toe.........
Posted: Feb 10, 2008 2:40 am

tanks! will probablee be as bad as anyone, but.... looking forward to it! thanks for tips!
Posted: Feb 10, 2008 3:00 am

i used to sno-bored...its fun once you get the hang of it..then you're gonna get pissed because most sno-booorders are douche-holes and use shitty way tweaked out rad X-treme lingo like " way tweaked out front nose grab Tyler..!!! Jesus is proud of you..!! way rad" n shit like that. But if you can make down the hill without bailing...you're a champion!
Posted: Feb 10, 2008 6:56 am

I only went once, and realized it's basically skiing, which is inferior to inner tubing. Layers are the key.
Posted: Feb 10, 2008 12:22 pm

Tyler

Nice one.
Posted: Feb 10, 2008 1:34 pm

I lived in Colorado for 3 1/2 years and worked at Keystone Ski Resort for 2 winters. Copper Mountain is great. It has something for everyone with a good balance between beginner, intermediate, and expert terrain. My tips:

1. Board: Do your best to rent a set up with strap-in bindings and avoid step-ins. Strap-ins give you much better ankle support and allow you to fine tune your fit to a much higher degree. They hardly even sell step-ins anymore but a lot of rental shops still have them.

2. Clothing: The Troll has good advice. Consider spending a little more for a decent soft shell or uninsulated wind shell that you can wear around at home. Layer. Don't get something too think. You should be pretty good with a t shirt, long sleeve thermal, hoodie, and your outer shell. Pants you can skimp on. My legs hardly ever get cold so I don't think you need to break the bank. Look for something with some tougher material on the butt and knees. All you need to wear underneath are long johns, sweat pants, or [gasp] jeans. You should be able to make due with some basic gloves or mittens. Unless your hands are really prone to getting cold you don't need anything fantastic. You need eye protection no matter what because the sun reflects off the snow more than you would think. If it is sunny you can get away with just wearing sunglasses but if it is crappy you'll need goggles. I don't know what kind of shops you have in Memphis but don't be afraid to get stuff out there. Colorado Ski & Golf typically has lots of stuff from previous seasons on sale. The one in Arvada is probably most convenient. Mountain Sports Outlet in Silverthorne is right off I-70 5 or so miles before Copper and also has lots of gear on sale.

3. Lessons: Take one. You're going to take a beating no matter what, particularly your wrists and tailbone, so it's best to pace yourself and save something for day two where you'll make a lot of progress. I don't think a surfing or skateboarding background helps until you've been at it for like a week and then you can screw around with tricks. It's still a different form of keeping balanced since you don't have a fin nor wheels. It's very subtle. But if you're a skater it helps to be used to crashing and not afraid to get back up and do it again.

4. Beer: Colorado seemingly has more micro brews per capita than any other state. My favorite of the bigger breweries is New Belgium. You'll see Fat Tire and Sunshine Wheat everywhere. My favorite small brewery is Dillon Dam Brewery. It's in Dillon right off I-70 a few blocks from Mountain Sports Outlet. Go there for dinner one night. They have good food, too.

5. Records: There's a little hippie shop in the plaza by MSO and Dillon Dam where I once pulled out original Dictators Bloodbrothers and Manifest Destiny LP's but you're better off hitting Wax Trax and Trist & Shout in Denver. They're very close to each other and convenient to the mountains. Wax Trax is simply one of the best stores I've been to in the country. I could probably spend more money there than at Goner. Twist & Shout isn't quite as good but worth a trip. Their website says the Black Lips will be performing there on Feb. 17th.

6. Random: The base of Copper is 9,000 feet above sea level and the summit over 11,000 feet. A lot of people experience altitude sickness so drink lots of water.
Posted: Feb 10, 2008 1:38 pm

7. Socks: There's nothing worse than cold or wet feet. Spend $15-20 on a real pair of snowboard socks. I swear by Burton ones. Only wear one pair of socks. Your boots are what keeps you warm. They have plenty insulation. The socks just keep you dry and comfortable. Don't tie your boots or strap your bindings too tight. Loss of circulation is what makes your feet feel cold.
Posted: Feb 10, 2008 2:17 pm

Lessons are for wimps. I never took 'em and did fine. No matter what, you'll be eating shit the majority of your first day anyways. A lot of people I know that took 'em said it was worthless.

A few tips:
- NEVER extend your arms when falling. Tuck in your shoulder and roll out of it (like skateboarding).
- Always stay on the edge! HEELS and TOES. Remember that. Just carve that shit.
- Guide your direction with your leading shoulder.
- No matter what clothing you bring, I guarantee you'll be sweating under them in no time. Look at the weather forecasts before-hand to gauge what you should bring.
- Watch out for ice! That shit'll make you fall if you're on an edge when you approach it. Stay flat over those patches. Watch out for changing conditions.
- Good luck coming off the lifts. NOOBs always pile up after the lifts.
Posted: Feb 10, 2008 5:48 pm

what he said..
Posted: Feb 10, 2008 6:54 pm

STOP GIVING CLOTHING ADVICE - I'M AT COPPER MOUNTAIN RIGHT THIS FUCKING MINUTE!!!

I got 'em covered, OK?
Posted: Feb 10, 2008 7:12 pm

Arman's Texas chili advice actually applies to this as well:

- a whole buncha meth
- a few copies of hustler
- a full tank of gas
- a krinkly, kurl and krusty cowboy hat

More than this:

-work on a french or austrian accent

...because all the Brazillian and Australian chairlift jockeys will think you're from Texas anyway.
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 2:08 am

watch some warren miller ski movies.
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 11:26 am

Posted: Feb 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Make sure your boots are comfy (& flexible) ... I hate mine & forget this until the first run of every year ...

Dammit, I'm buying new ones today!

Waterproof shell (jacket & pants) & don't go too crazy w/ the layers.
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 12:46 pm

STOP GIVING CLOTHING ADVICE - I'M AT COPPER MOUNTAIN RIGHT THIS FUCKING MINUTE!!!

sounds like you remembered the meth
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 1:14 pm | Edited by: skank police

...didn't mean to yell. My feet hurt, breaking in new ski boots is a bitch...done for the day...beer me!
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 3:05 pm

beer me, too!

almost there!
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 4:48 pm

don't get caught up in one of these
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 3:47 pm

well, i've decided to stay! snowboarding is my life! cocaine-fueled nights full of argentinian "snow" bunnies and out-of-their-league sorority girls from Kansas City! Sure, I can't snowboard worth a lick, but I can drink everyone here under any table they've got! I'm the king of the Gapers for sure! Jimmy Buffet and Toby Keith... great! Gimme a shot!

whoo! i live the snowboarder life I love, and I love the snowboarder life I live!
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 4:38 pm

Ha ha...yeah, that sounds about right...
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 4:40 pm

well, i've decided to stay!...Jimmy Buffet and Toby Keith

Great! They're playing the Bluebird next week...I think.
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 5:48 pm

No pelicans up there Eric.

I guess none in Memphis either.

Saw one in a pond at the park the other day, just pelicing around.
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 6:44 pm

Eric and J9, I trust you made your flight? Cuz you just missed this little BLIZZARD!!
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 9:56 pm

drink everyone here under any table they've got!

even at that altitude, flatlander? i'd think you'd be passed out in a urinal by now.
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 9:58 pm

You've obviously never tried to out drink him.
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 10:21 pm

that just got me thinking about the mans for some reason.
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 10:23 pm

Wait. Were you there for the shotgun contest in Darcy's back yard? I tried. I failed.
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 10:31 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

Then there was the last Dutch Master's show, I brought a 12 pack of Busch for the post-game salute in the back parking lot of the Buc. Handed 'em out, I expressed a "good game" toast to the home team of Joe, Pat and Scott with can clanks. Turned to Eric but he had already finished his off by that point.
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 10:38 pm

Sorry. Fighting off the sleeping pill and feeling nostalgic.
Carry on.
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 10:40 pm

Were you there for the shotgun contest in Darcy's back yard?
no but i've heard about it a few times. if was anything like their show i bet it was the shotgun contest of the century
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 12:21 am

i don't think it's humanly possible.
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 10:45 am

ppphhht. i was exaggerating. any toboggan-sporting Avalanche fan can definitely out drink me. Jimmy Buffet / Toby Keith = not so great. i'm also not staying in Colorado.

THANKS to Skank Police for hooking us up with gear (!!!!), and everyone for all the tips! I need a few more days to qualify as a bad snowboarder, but I did some ridiculous maneuvers that no real snowboarder woulda attempted (a couple of full extension Bertlemanns being my favorites), crashed at decent speed but didn't Sonny Bono, wore the hell out of my legs, and realized this snow culture was a whole nother world I didn't know if i needed to know about.

Wax Trax didn't have nearly enough rare Ministry, Front 242, or Revolting Cocks records, but did have some awesome rare AmRep 7"s and an amazing amount of new undie vinyls. Out of Carbonas! Harlan T Bobo in stock now! No divider for Cococoma... can it be true?

Arrived in Memphis and saw 4 near-wrecks on the 15 minute drive home! Damn, Memphis, you sure are... Memphis!
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 10:51 am

i don't think it's humanly possible.

no shit....I tried and FAILED the last night of GFIV at the Bucc. That boy can put 'em back.
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 11:18 am

FAILED the last night of GFIV at the Bucc.

I saw the aftermath. I love you, too, buddy.
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 11:29 am

FAILED the last night of GFIV at the Bucc.

I saw the aftermath. I love you, too, buddy.

Weren't we all winners that night?
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 11:54 am

Wait. Were you there for the shotgun contest in Darcy's back yard? I tried. I failed.

that was one of the funniest things I have ever seen in my life. I don't remember you doing so badly stands.

The most amazing part is that the mans were already drunk when I saw them at "breakfast" that morning.
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 11:56 am

Weren't we all winners that night?

yes! it was quite the evening
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 4:17 pm

THANKS to Skank

Anytime... thanks for hanging out, caffeinating (they drank me under the table), you pals are neato!

No divider for Cococoma... can it be true?

We bought the last LP 2 days before your visit...and judging from the scratch the chick wrote down (???), it may not get reordered anytime soon. Header card? Maybe I should pop in with a homemade jobbie...see what they say...
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 2:17 am

how many sno-cats did ya see?? those things rule!
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 8:53 am

no pixs!!!!
typical Goner move
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®