Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / this is my third day without a cig
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 11:48 am

i'm not freaking out yet but i'm kinda hyper.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 11:50 am

wow, you're a better man than i
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 11:53 am

wha? you decided to quit on sunday? congrats
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 11:59 am

my hangover was so bad i was still in severe pain last night. i tried to get xtine to drink wine with me at 7am sunday. nay good. i think it's time. gonna try to drink less too so i don't jones for cigs (or drugs). we're playing in baltimore tomorrow so this could be really difficult.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 12:00 pm

I've heard it's better to flame fifty years than to smoulder for eighty years.
I wanna flame eighty years though so I'm thinking about quitting too.
Way to go BJ and hang on!!!
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 12:00 pm

the last time i tried to quit by day three i just wanted to punch everyone in the face.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 12:02 pm

I quit cold turkey when I was 29. Before that I was Mr. Cigarette. They don't do nothing for you anyway. Good luck, fag.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 12:06 pm

hangover was so bad

blame it on the cubans!
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 12:08 pm

Binge drinking is for chumps. The way I've managed to stay wasted for 45 years is moderation.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 12:16 pm

I think today is my one month mark. Go us!
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 12:22 pm

Congrats to the quitters.
-Quit cold turkey over thirty years ago.
One of the best things I ever did.
You'll smell things this spring that you haven't smelled in a long time...grass, flowers etc.
And the money...jesus the money...can't believe what you addicts pay for ciggies these days.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 12:35 pm

Binge drinking is for chumps.

is it really binge drinking when i've pretty much been drunk for 10 years?
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 1:05 pm

I dunno, I quit for a year and didn't notice anything tasting or smelling better, and health-wise I didn't feel any different. In fact, the only difference was that I missed smoking, so I started again. Oh, and the $4 a day I throw in the toilet would be better suited to my pocket.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 1:25 pm

I quit for four years at one point. I'm having a much harder time this go 'round. Now I have to get a real job to either support my habit or distract me from it.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 1:28 pm

i can tell you one thing... i keep trying to play some music in itunes while i pack records i sold and after one song is done it jumps to some other random spot on the playlist and it's pissing me the fuck off. no, shuffle isn't on, i dont think. i hate stupid computers. i could really use a cig right about now. weed would be nice too.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 1:29 pm

It's been 7 years for me... going back? Fuck no. Why? How? I mean it took a couple years for it to really gross me out, but after that? Not a chance.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 1:41 pm

after a week, it was easy street for me. of course, i recidivated a few times in earlier attempts but i really don't forsee that happening in the future.

the best part of quiting is hangovers are much less intense.

the worst part of successfully quiting is becoming a smoke nazi. i am trying to avoid this fate.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 1:43 pm

it's pissing me the fuck off.
i hate stupid computers.
break it!
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 1:51 pm

After day 3 the nicotine will be cleared from your system. That doesn't mean the cravings won't come on somethin' fierce, though. Cold turkey is the way to go, and try to have a plan for when the strong cravings come on. Worked for me, for the most part. I'll still smoke when I'm super wasted, maybe once a year, and the hangovers are massive when this happens. Ang get a new ipod!
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 2:11 pm

ipod? huh? do'nt klnow how to use my gay itunes, certainly do'nt want a faggy ipod. shove it up your ass, dick.

ohm, sorry. kinda losing it...
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 2:25 pm

Quitters never win Joe! Winners never quit!

FACTS!

1. Smoking makes you smart. They said so on tv!

2. It totally makes you look cool.

3. It calms you down from all those "episodes".

4. Chicks dig it!

ANOTHER PROBLEM SOLVED BY DTRAIN!
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 2:27 pm

dtrain is a damn genius
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 3:20 pm

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 3:57 pm

Posted: Feb 5, 2008 4:00 pm

Posted: Feb 5, 2008 4:04 pm

didn't work. my eyes feel funny though. bith tried to make me a robot.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 4:06 pm

i should've tried turning ya into a yodeler!

Posted: Feb 5, 2008 4:23 pm

I'm quitting too. Haven't had one since Friday night.

Haven't had a drink since a sip o bourbon on Sat afternoon.

S I C K A S A D O G ! ! !
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 4:50 pm | Edited by: bazooka joe

i have a few beers in my fridge and a bottle of nice red on the dining room table. they are mocking me. also i'm about to have some carne asada i've been marinating all day and about to throw on the grill. how i'm supposed to eat that and not have a beer is beyond me. maybe i could have a beer and not smoke. should i try? scary shit.

i just asked xtine if i could cancel our gig in b'more toorrow so i wouldn't have to suffer and i got hollered at.

good luck to you, jerky!
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 6:24 pm

don't try to quit cold turkey, cut down slowly, thats the only way to quit for more than a week.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 6:28 pm

i had a beer with dinner. was troublesome, but i'm still smoke free.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 7:07 pm

Good luck dudes. It ain't easy. I'm still recovering from this weekend's hangover and haven't had a smoke since Saturday. As long as I'm not socializing much, it's not so hard, but once I'm out on the town, it's tough business. Leaving Friday for 8 days in Mexico and I suspect I'll be back on the sauce and smokes.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 7:14 pm | Edited by: dale

I've quit like 3 times the last year or so. One of these times I'll do it for good. I did light one up and cracked open a beer (a Penn. made one actually) right before opening this thread though (so I guess not tonight).
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 7:28 pm

I'm still recovering from this weekend's hangover

yeah man. you know how bad i get. i started drinking on saturday about 12:30 in the afternoon, then after getting completely sauced i actually scored on the fucking street later that night in my new city where i don't know anyone or where anything is (talk about stupid!) and proceeded to get blasted until 7am. i smoked about 2 packs that day. the hangover was finally 100% gone this afternoon. for some reason it was more about the cigs for me though. i figure if i stop drihking so much i'll not want anything else. there's only been a couple days in the last few months where i haven't had a drink.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 7:30 pm

and having to drive to baltimore tomorrow? that's gonna be worse than actually djing without smokes. being in a car for a few hours always = smoking too much!
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 7:58 pm

Binge drinking is for chumps. The way I've managed to stay wasted for 45 years is moderation.

Hear, hear!!
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 8:47 pm

Thanx BJ n EH. The only reason I deciced to quit smoking now and cut back a bit on the sauce (besides the obvious) is becuase I've been sick and pretty much unable to smoke. I'm now wondering if the reason my flu thing is lasting soo long is because it's a flu + withdrawl. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Is Xtine still smoking?
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 9:22 pm

For you quitters out there - how in the hell do you make it through the times while drinking? That's always been the toughest for me. If I do both - take a break from drinking AND smoking, it's been relatively easy. BUT, I have talked to people that have quit smoking for years, and most of them say that they still at least think about smoking when they drink. They also say the craving-while-drinking is not as strong the longer you go without smoking, but how in the hell do you make it to that point?
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 9:39 pm

Is Xtine still smoking?

I'am but I feel kinda bad about it since BJ's trying his damndest to quit. And I definately need to quit one of these days too but I'm afraid I'll REALLY freak out. I can't imagine quitting cold turkey...eek.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 10:49 pm

millionaire - that's the worst. Drinking in a bar without smoking is rough. Sit near a smoker and huff second-hand. And talk a lot. And buy drinks. And as time passes, it gets easier.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 11:40 pm

Drinking in a bar without smoking is rough. Sit near a smoker and huff second-hand. And talk a lot. And buy drinks

That sounds like horrible advice.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 6:28 am

Cold turkey works fine, that's how I quit for a year. I did have a little help from my friend mari j, though.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 7:22 am

The FIRST time I quit, I knew I was actually done when I went with some friends to a complete dive with no ventilation to play pool and got completely smashed. My friend was chain smoking beside me and we had a shot of about everything in the bar. We both fell down the stairs after we to our homes. But I didn't smoke that night and I figured I was done. Then we went on that 2 week tour and 7 years down the drain!

One nice thing about Columbus is that you can't smoke in the bars. It's a lot less temptation, and I didn't even mind going outside when I was smoking. I am all for smoking bans.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 9:18 am

Even when I wasn't smoking I thought smoking bans were gay. It's a fucking bar, not a health club.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 9:32 am

Even when I wasn't smoking I thought smoking bans were gay. It's a fucking bar, not a health club.

If it was a smoke shop, I'd agree with you.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 9:51 am

It's a BAR. What's next, ban alcohol? Alcoholics wouldn't be tempted, that's for sure. Maybe an oxygen bar that sells smoothies?
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 10:50 am

It's a BAR. What's next, ban alcohol? Alcoholics wouldn't be tempted, that's for sure.

The difference being if I go to a bar and don't drink but everyone around me is drinking, I don't wake up the next day feeling like I drank a 12 pack. Whatever, it's not really something I feel that strongly about, so I don't know why I'm arguing. It's convenient to me so I like it.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 12:01 pm

let free enterprise figure it out. there's a market for both smoking bars and non-smoking bars. the ratio can be figured out by those that attend either and keep them in business. we don't need to legislate this.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 12:13 pm | Edited by: gore

the problem is that the mixture of things like whiskey-cigs-and cocaine create a new chemical compund in your brain. the new chem is super addictive.

beer and a cig seems easier to kick. I can't go more that 7 days.

not to mention that talking about quitting makes me want to smoke more.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 12:29 pm

I am a fan of smoking bans too. I first got used to it when I lived in California and later when Columbus, and then the whole of Ohio, went non-smoking. I have now quit smoking for six months but when I moved to Florida, and still smoked, I was kind of grossed out by intense smell of smoke on my clothes that only comes from smoking in an enclosed area. I never smelled like that when I had to smoke outside. Now that I have quit smoking, I go to bars and my clothes still end up smelling of smoke so I have to be sure not to wear a jacket or anything I might wear to work. Fortunately, I have not lost my hoodies - and I know exactly where they are because I can smell them.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 1:05 pm

"It's a BAR. What's next,ban alcohol? Alcoholics wouldn't be tempted,that's for sure."

"we don't need to legislate this."

I can see a direction where this thread could head... i agree with the above statements. Of course it also really irritates me when people say "Effin" instead of "Fucking",but that has nothing to do w/this subject,other than controlling "bad" human behavior for the sake of not offending absolutely anyone that is.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 1:23 pm | Edited by: trickknee

The thing is, business goes down when a smoking ban goes into effect. Here in Appleton, people simply moved their business out to the suburbs/surrounding areas. More bars have closed down than ever before, which is fairly in line with other areas of the state/country, when this kind of thing can be noted (state bans are hard to figger). I've always said that smoke free bars would have popped up all over the place if this were really what the majority of the bar crowd wanted - it's not. If you're that concerned about your health, you wouldn't stay out all night in a dingy bar throwing rotgut down your throat while listening to music at unhealthy levels. Either make tobacco illegal, or allow it in public places. Restaurants are a different story. A bar isn't even a bar if no one's smoking.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 1:44 pm

i've been really flipping out the last couple days. i already got pissed off and kicked a wall this afternoon. i really need some fucking help. i have to be in a car for a couple hours later today. not looking forward to this fucking shit. i might just cave. really unhappy right now.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 1:47 pm

What's next, ban alcohol? Alcoholics wouldn't be tempted, that's for sure.

I think a better analogy would be- what's next, banning the spitting of your beer down everyone in the bar's throat?!
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 1:53 pm

really unhappy right now.

I'm trying to rile trickknee up but he's not biting... I wish I could help more. Stay strong!
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 2:12 pm

i am going to smoke. i can feeeel it.

shoot me.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 2:25 pm

Don't do it.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 2:25 pm

Business does not always suffer when you institute a smoking ban. It depends on the bar.

I'm glad the smoking ban is in place here.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 2:33 pm

sixteene is begging me to smoke cuz i'm making her crazy.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 2:34 pm

sixteene is begging me to smoke cuz i'm making her crazy.

You tell her if she has such an oral fixation, she knows what to do. There's no reason you both can't walk away from this winners.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 2:37 pm

i really am being impossible right now. i making weird noises and scratching my arm like a junkie. kicking the wall and scraming about shit wans't so nice either. plus i cut myself shaving this morning and it won
t stop bleeding. i STILL have a pice of tissiue stuck to my lip. retarded,.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 2:38 pm

i like the idea of letting the free market figure it out when it comes to smoking bans.

that said, i like going to shows & bars & not coming home smelling like an ashtray since ohio passed a state-wide ban.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 3:05 pm

plus i cut myself shaving this morning and it won
t stop bleeding. i STILL have a pice of tissiue stuck to my lip. retarded,.

Ha! I did the exact same thing when I quit! Must be taking it out on the face.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 3:07 pm

Be a man.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 3:12 pm

he cant be a man (because he does not smoke the same cigarettes as me)
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 3:13 pm

i just had a cig and a beer. didn't wanna flip out in the car. fuck.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 3:16 pm

Be a man.

Woops, too late.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 3:19 pm

What a coward. I'm disappointed in you. You'll never amount to nothing.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 3:28 pm

i think i feel worse than before i lit up. puuuuuke.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 3:30 pm

Business does not always suffer when you institute a smoking ban. It depends on the bar.

I'm glad the smoking ban is in place here.

When a township/city does a ban, tavern business goes down. Generally, people cross the imaginary line into a different town. You guys are fucking commies. What SHOULD be done is certain bars can volunteer to be "smoke free," which would entail putting up a certain sign (no smoking sign would work) or a generic across the board tagline so people know which bars are non-smoking. The problem, of course, is that those bars will generate less business from the start, and the business they do have will include faggot ex-smoker nazis (like most of you) and pantywaist pussies too scared to take a drag, so business will continue to go down until the bars give back their signs and beg the city to go back to smoking.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 3:31 pm

he cant be a man (because he does not smoke the same cigarettes as me)

Crucial Post.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 3:32 pm

What's weird is I didn't have a single cig for about 9 months, but when I finally had one, it tasted awesome, gave me a crazy buzz, and instantly made me regret quitting in the first place. But I held for another couple months, then started bumming 'em on weekends when I was out, and figured there was no reason to be that guy, so fuck it.
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 3:28 am

I make almost twice as much money now as I did before the smoking ban. We have dozens of new customers who didn't want to drink in smoky bars beforehand. Most of 'em are elderly or thereabouts, but they're also rich, so they drink expensive stuff and they tip well. We've lost no smoking customers, and they all stopped complaining after about two weeks of lighting up in the cold, ice and snow.

As for quitting smoking, which I've done probably four or five times, you have to actually want to quit smoking.
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 7:32 am

Exactly - success rate is about 20% across the board, from cold turkey to nic gum to hypnotherapy, which means it's all on the person trying to quit.
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 8:32 am

Smoking cigarettes is just another one of the ways Nature weeds out the losers from the winners in this world.
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 9:37 am

Ned, you should be a life coach. Like Jack, from TSOL.
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 9:41 am

or miss linda from TSOT
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 10:31 am

or Les Nessmen from WKRP
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 10:57 am

I heard they finally released WKRP on DVD and were too cheap to get permission for the songs, so Johnny will introduce a song and it'll cut to some crappy instrumental shit! I guess a lot of it's unwatchable because of the way the had to cut it all hell. This should probably be it's own thread, cause it's BULLSHIT!
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 11:43 am

Restaurants are a different story. A bar isn't even a bar if no one's smoking.

I agree. Nevada had the one year anniversary of the state-wide smoking ban in December, and it hasn't seemed to have effected businesses too much. You can still smoke in stand alone bars (bars that don't serve food), strip clubs and, of course, brothels.

when I finally had one, it tasted awesome, gave me a crazy buzz, and instantly made me regret quitting in the first place.

Anyone see the Joe Strummer documentary by Julien Temple? One gal talks about the last conversation she had with Joe before he died, which was an argument where he was trying to convince her not to stop smoking.

Don't worry about the slip, Joe. Continue to stay strong and try to come up with some replacement behaviors for when the cravings are at their worst.
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 11:47 am

Yeah, Joe Strummer died at 50. Keep smoking losers!
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 12:26 pm

The only thing that's making quitting smoking really hard for me right now is that I can't stop coughing.
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 12:28 pm

How was the Baltimore and the ride?
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 1:44 pm

How was the Baltimore and the ride?

I'm guessing bold and full bodied.
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 1:51 pm

Like Jack, from TSOL.
Please tell me this is a joke.
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 1:55 pm | Edited by: deadcityrebel

i'm guessing bold and full bodied
HEE-HAW!!!
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 2:14 pm

Like Jack, from TSOL.
Please tell me this is a joke.

Well, apparently it is not, at least according to him.

Of course he does have some nice life experiences to draw upon.
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 3:08 pm

Smoking inside is fucking gross. I actually like leaving a bar to smoke outside. It's an excuse to avoid hearing shitty bands and even shittier conversations.
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 3:14 pm

I managed to quit smoking for a day. I started geting a headache and felt like puking my fucking my guts out. It was awful. Fucking cigs. I wish somebody would invent a time machine so I could go visit myself when I was 17 and then beat the shit out of me when I decided it was a good idea to start smoking.. Fuckin' teenagers. Quitting pot is much much easier. If I do get lifted it's purely for theraputic (sleep) reasons. But good luck to ya...
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 9:43 pm

i think i feel worse than before i lit up. puuuuuke.

try sticking the lit end into your face, dumbass...
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 1:19 am

I'm going to buy a pack now....Menthol and regular...I like a variety.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®