Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Bourdain Does NOLA
Posted: Feb 4, 2008 9:28 pm

Well.....can't wait to hear your comments.
So far not very exiciting, profound or new.
Posted: Feb 4, 2008 10:30 pm

I liked it....made me fuckin' hungry...that's for sure..
Posted: Feb 4, 2008 10:37 pm

I don't think it comes on til 10pm here... But I am excited.
Posted: Feb 4, 2008 10:39 pm

i can't watch it yet but i will...
Posted: Feb 4, 2008 10:55 pm

I thought the school cafe was pretty cool.

But where's the seedy little food holes he frequents in 3rd world countries? How come his backyard BBQ was with a bunch of fucking yuppies? Why not with some family in the projects inviting him for dinner? Outdoor BBQ @ the MIL Lounge?

Yagermeister with local wait staff? Uugh.
Guess I was just expecting something entirely different.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 12:51 am

whats with the comedian bar guy? yuck.
i liked the school house restaurant too...
hate the wait stuff crap...
not enough good action like the other shows...
bbq i'm assuming is coming next.
i still love him though.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 12:54 am

the emeril part was uncomfortable too
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 1:01 am

well, all the food looked pretty damn good.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 2:05 am

I thought it was awesome......

How come his backyard BBQ was with a bunch of fucking yuppies?

Those "yuppies" were the staff and families of Herbsaint and Cochon, where Donald Link (one of the coolest dudes on the planet) is chef.....
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 4:22 am

bring on the heart attacks
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 8:24 am

Nothing can look as rank as the food the chef from Galatoires is serving up to Al Roker on the Today show right this second. Oh man.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 8:55 am

the emeril part was uncomfortable too

it seemed as though both had guns to their backs. i noticed anthony didn't repeat his classic comparison of emeril to an ewok.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 9:34 am

Colby! You're right. That dood seemed like a total badass (and talked like a sailor!).

I guess what I meant was --' wow! a fancy party with a bunch of dumb blonde party girls dancing under their rented tent drinking champagne?' = not my idea of a backyard BBQ (someone please invite me to one of those!) OR my expectation of what B would do on a visit to NOLA. Seems like it could have been so much better.

The shrimp boat dood was pretty cool (and sad -- he'll be the last of 3rd generation shrimpers? he's got his OWN neighborhood ladies!) and Chris, the writer, was alright except he didn't seem comfortable/as laid back as I would have guessed. I'll bet the Big Easy girls got a hard-on from him wearing their shirt.

And, YEAH, Jessie -- the comedian/bartender? WHATTA DOUCHE!!
His shit wasn't even funny - it was horrible!! Bourdain laughing the whole time?

Ok. I'll quit bitchin now -- I just wanted this to be as intersting, entertaining and unique as his other adventures that highlight the low-life -- stuff like some strange local characters, shit-holes and low-rent homes with down-home food, lots of boozing and tons of sarcasm (I'm sure he naturally went easy on the sarcasm here though).

Hope B's not going soft on us though.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 9:43 am

It seemed to me that most of the people who had moved back & reopened restaraunts in NOLA were people who could afford to... hence the fancy, upscale places... (I haven't been to NOLA since Katrina) but are any of the local joints even open?... this could have alot to do with his restaraunt choices...
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 10:28 am

He was also on Sound Opinions a few weeks ago...
http://www.soundopinions.org/

listed second under "previous shows" hear Jim DeRegotis and Greg Kott kiss his ass.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 10:52 am

shit-holes and low-rent homes

Probably because any po-boy or bowl of gumbo is only marginally better than the next. And while most businesses probably would appreciate the increase in business, it's also pretty irritating to eat next to a bunch of douchebags who saw the place on Bravo talking about "N'awlins". Like a guy I work with.

Chris, the writer, was alright except he didn't seem comfortable/as laid back as I would have guessed.

Chris Rose? His schtick is pretty uptight, looks like Richard Belzer, acts like Richard Lewis. Chad asked him something once at a parade to see if he would get a funny/sarcastic response but all he got was a straight answer.

the comedian/bartender

Was it "Wild" Bill? That guy taught my responsible vendors class. I think he's probably funnier when he's not performing.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 11:58 am

i wasn't into the writer either. it was way too sensitive and uptight.
and i still feel like "emeril the ewok" comment was just sitting there looming...
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 11:59 am

bbq food looked fucking yummy as fuck
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 12:00 pm

All I know is it made me sad. In a coupla different ways...
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 12:59 pm

Not one of his best episodes. Too much compromise, too heart stringy. Before Katrina, I spent some time in NO, and was always blown away by how good the food was, even "greasy spoon" places.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 1:06 pm

anyone catch how long ago this was shot? seemed like it was quite awhile ago to me
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 10:27 pm

was filmed in september.

he got a lot of stuff right but I pretty much hate Chris Rose, Tom Fitzmorris (the food critic/radio host, his second guest), and Domilise's (po boy shop next to bateman's house that he went to).

I liked it but it's weird that in most places he has friends who live there and gets the "inside scoop", eats at the more off the beaten path places, etc. this episode he totally did the tourist shit and talked to all the generic local celebrities. Hate to say it but Rachael Ray's Tasty Travels in NOLA was more adventurous than Bourdain, food-wise at least.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 10:47 pm

Chris, the writer, was alright except he didn't seem comfortable/as laid back as I would have guessed.

Chris Rose? His schtick is pretty uptight, looks like Richard Belzer, acts like Richard Lewis. Chad asked him something once at a parade to see if he would get a funny/sarcastic response but all he got was a straight answer.

he got a lot of stuff right but I pretty much hate Chris Rose

Chris Rose is a pretty good guy....he used to stop in places that I bartended really late at night and hang out....tipped good....real straightforward honest guy...
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 10:48 pm

Also the Times Picayune used to pay for all Chris Rose's cabs, probably to keep him alive....
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 11:57 pm

Do you read his column regularly? just curious.

I never had anything against him pre-k, when he was basically a celebrity gossip columnist. and he's written some good stuff post-k too, but I find most of his writing to be self-important fluff. he just rubs me the wrong way. never met him.
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 6:27 pm

whats with the comedian bar guy? yuck.
He's going to Iraq.....!

Do you read his column regularly? just curious.

I glance at nola.com almost every day, but only once in a while get to his column, but take it from me, for what it's worth, Chris Rose is good people....
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 12:26 am

Ha, it was Wild Bill.
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 1:35 pm

When I took abnormal psych at community college here, we used Chris Rose as our case study for depression. That dude's TB.
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 2:18 pm

HAAA!!!! He seemed like it!!
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 6:54 pm

That dude's TB

Terminally boring?
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 7:01 pm

that too, but i meant total bummer.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®