Fri 03/28/08 Boise, ID Big Easy Concert House

Sat 03/29/08 Portland, OR McMenamins Crystal Ballroom

Sun 03/30/08 Seattle, WA Showbox At The Market

Mon 03/31/08 Seattle, WA Showbox At The Market

Wed 04/09/08 Solana Beach, CA Belly Up Tavern

Thu 04/10/08 Los Angeles, CA Music Box @ Fonda

Sat 04/12/08 Las Vegas, NV House of Blues
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 11:20 am

One of my least favorite bands. The precursor to Kim and Thurston's off-key warbling. Annoying.
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 12:22 pm

One of my least favorite bands.

So, when more dates are added and the tour gets near your house, my dogs can stay with you at that house while I'm off making woo-woo eyes at Exene?
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 1:14 pm

Agreed, she sang flat and he tried to even it out & the melodies got squashed. Bad band, a few good songs.
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 1:15 pm

but luckily for riggler, X isn't playing NY

and actually, i'm totally right there w/ you ned, on your opinion of X
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 1:33 pm | Edited by: Aluminum Walleye

I agree with Richie Riggler and Tricky Dickknee and Mother Theresa on this one... And as I usually say in this situation, gimmie the Australian X!!!
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 2:46 pm

i like X. los angeles is a great record.
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 2:57 pm

They were fucking amazing about 5 years ago at the Beachland in CLeveland. Only played stuff from first 2 LPs.

The singing took awhile for me to like, but once you do....
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 4:37 pm

I saw them play at Emo's in Austin a few years back and they couldn't have been more miserable to be on stage. It was a huge turn off. I heard they were much better when they returned to town but I couldn't be bothered.
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 4:57 pm

I saw the same show but I didn't get that vibe. I love the band. Billy Zoom never seems comfortable on stage, that 's just him. Saw em again last year at Stubbs and again I really enjoyed it.
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 5:10 pm

took me years to like X...always found them boring, but i love em now. billy zoom rules
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 6:04 pm

x-aspirations!
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 6:19 pm

I've loved every show, especially with Zoom back in the band. I saw them open three for the Mescaleros in 2002 and that's the only time I ever seen a band Joe Strummer was in almost upstaged.
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 7:20 pm | Edited by: saispas

I am a fan. I saw them in Ventura in 2000 and I was in serious hate with Exene; she was wasted and a total bitch. I was waiting for any one of those guys to slap her silly. Then I saw them in Portland a few years later when she was sober and it was a great show. I swear, it all depends on where that fat alcoholic Exene is at any given time.
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 8:38 pm

Once I drove an hour to see X at the Ventura theatre, waited through two crappy openers, and then an hour after the last opener Exene, Billy and DJ Bonebrake came on stage. They said that John Doe was stuck in traffic and that they weren't going to play. Fuck that, I say wing it! So there was no show and needless to say that was a shitty night.
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 9:21 pm

I think the first two X records are pretty decent. Exene's singing is pretty flat but it's not terrible or anything.

They have more than a couple good songs.

Of course Australia's X is way better of course.
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 9:37 pm

I had read about X when I was a kid but the first album that was available to us in this cow town was "Under A Big Black Sun." I bought and played it about 5 times trying to get into it. I was like "Man, L.A. Punk kinda sucks."

There's a couple decent songs on the first three albums but over all I've never understood what the BIG deal was about them.
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 9:40 pm

Man, I love 'em. I wish they'd come here.
Posted: Feb 3, 2008 12:15 am | Edited by: Shawn Carpetbagger

There's a couple decent songs on the first three albums but over all I've never understood what the BIG deal was about them.
Because they are poets, man! I like X, but I think they are overrated in the grand scheme of things. Rock critics buy into that serious artist, poetry bullshit hook, line, and sinker.

I swear, it all depends on where that fat alcoholic Exene is at any given time.
She was in a foul mood during the Austin show I previously spoke of. It seemed like she was more concerned with policing the crowd than getting on with the show. She yanked some drunk girl up on stage to get her thrown out. They refused to play an encore because the crowd was "disrespectful" or something like that. Like I said, they seemed like they didn't want to be there.

I saw her band Auntie Christ years ago in Dallas and I thought she was great. Their album isn't so great.
Posted: Feb 3, 2008 12:40 am

Because they are poets, man! I like X, but I think they are overrated in the grand scheme of things. Rock critics buy into that serious artist, poetry bullshit hook, line, and sinker.

Took me awhile to realize that angle was there. I just like the tunes.
Posted: Feb 3, 2008 5:05 am

"Rock critics buy into that serious artist,poetry bullshit hook line and sinker."

Yes but X are way better than Patti Smith sez me.

" I swear,it all depends on where that fat alcoholic Exene is at any given time."

Meee-YOW!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Feb 3, 2008 8:51 am

More importantly, rock crits buy into upfront lefty politics (see: Clash).
Posted: Feb 3, 2008 10:59 am

I think I saw them in 'Decline' before I ever heard their records and I liked em then and now. It's good punk/rocknroll at least for the first three records before they lost some energy and got rootsier then I usually care for. I don't know, the songs are simple and great and stick in your head and John and Exene's voices together make it much stronger than either of them could have been alone. 'White Girl' alone is so amazing that I often just listen to that song over and over, probably because I'm in awe of the underlying intensity just below the surface pulling at the leash but never allowed to burst out. I've never had any interest in writing a song about a girl but if I did that's EXACTLY the way I'd like to tell it.

-Ryan
Posted: Feb 3, 2008 11:35 am

X were an amazing band, and it's hard to argue with the distinctiveness of their sound and the quality of the first three records. You can not like them, but anytime you can hear a song you've never heard before and identify the artist it says a lot, especially in a world of homogenized crap......

They played the last show at the Shim Sham Club in NOLA...it was packed and none of the ACs were working, which sucks for June in NOLA......it must have been 100+ degrees in the place and the floor had about an inch of water on it just from sweat, but they played for 3 hours and did 3 encores, the last of which Billy Zoom was too sick to come back out for...
they could have easily played for 30 minutes and ended it due to conditions, but the showed what they were made of that night.....

Under The Big Black Sun is in my top 10....
Posted: Feb 3, 2008 1:03 pm

X are great, great, you holier than thou....
Posted: Feb 3, 2008 1:23 pm

There's nothing worse than the whole "I'm going to have a band with my untalented girlfriend" trip. The music's alright on the first album or whatever but the minute those two open their yaps they lose me.
Posted: Feb 4, 2008 8:26 am

Love or Hate. Me love. Later stuff not so good.
Posted: Feb 4, 2008 9:47 am

Good news: John Doe is opening the Nashville through Tulsa part of the upcoming Wilco tour.
Posted: Feb 4, 2008 10:45 am

More Fun in the New World is a very underrated album.
Posted: Feb 4, 2008 12:57 pm

i like X. los angeles is a great record.

Absolutely... Wild Gift ain't too shabby either... but they did steadily decline after that.
Posted: Feb 4, 2008 1:34 pm

There's nothing worse than the whole "I'm going to have a band with my untalented girlfriend" trip.

can't imagine any other reason to let julia cafritz near a guitar.
Posted: Feb 4, 2008 2:07 pm

They stopped being a "punk" band after Wild Gift. They were just a Rock N Roll band after that...I like the off key vocals. That's what drew me in...that and Billy Zoom's guitar playing.

Under The Big Black Sun has some good tunes on it. So does More Fun...
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 1:00 am

i love x. and i love their voices. but i also like julie cafritz in pussy galore and i like sonic youth. yep. ahhh welll....
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 1:08 am

I don't play it constantly so I don't tire of it, but I really dig the tune "Nausea."

When I saw them @ HoB in Chicago 5 years ago, they were great. Billy Zoom plays with as much charm as I've ever seen in a guitar player. Doe had to tell him to stop flirting & was nervous that he was drinking, & he looked like he was having as much fun as anyone in the club that night.

There's nothing worse than the whole "I'm going to have a band with my untalented girlfriend" trip.

The "I gotta take my girlfriend on tour with me, so she's gonna sing back up & play tambourine" is pretty brutal, too.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 1:46 am

1st 2 records rule....3rd and 4th are pretty damn good, you are wrong, i am right, and that is all.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 2:06 am

The "I gotta take my girlfriend on tour with me, so she's gonna sing back up & play tambourine" is pretty brutal, too.

The "Linda McCartney"....
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 6:23 am

your opinion of X
"livin' with a white girl"
stings
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 8:22 am

I like the off key vocals. That's what drew me in...that and Billy Zoom's guitar playing.

Same here.

I am sure the lambaste will result, but it is really seems kinda weak to back up your statement of hate of the American X with how you do love the Australian X. Yes. You are indeed cool.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 9:28 am

Well, there are at least 2 contemporary X's, and the one in Australia was a lot better. What are ya gonna do?
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 9:40 am | Edited by: bud melman

you are always going to show how knowledgable and cool you are with name dropping the Australian band, that is what you are gonna do apparently
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 9:50 am

They have nothing to do with each other, other than having the same name. I would hope that the Australian X (and, yeah, I dig them a lot too) would want their band to be discussed on their merits; not as often as they are as a clause in statements on how the American X blows. It has happened a lot more than in this thread and on this board over the years, so it is annoying. Had to mention it.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 9:55 am

I like both X's....does that make me twice as cool?... or the same amount as cool since one cancels the other out?...OR does it just not make me cool at all, since one cool cancels the other not cool out, leaving me confused & shivering...
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 10:08 am

One time when I was DJ'ing, John Doe came into the bar and was hanging out and several people kept coming to the DJ booth and requesting X. So I played the Australian X, The Ex, X-Ray Spex, and XTC. But nothing by John Doe's band X. At the end of the night, he thanked me for not embarrassing him by playing any of his songs.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 10:14 am

I like both X's....does that make me twice as cool?.

Yes. Absolutely!
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 10:21 am

he thanked me for not embarrassing him by playing any of his songs.

then you spiked his drink with some X
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 11:16 am

you are always going to show how knowledgable and cool you are with name dropping the Australian band, that is what you are gonna do apparently

I never mentioned the Australian X until someone implied that simply mentioning that you liked this band made you some kinda hipster or whatever. I just like 'em better, I think they're a great band, and I agree that there's no comparison beyond the name. I got X-Aspirations around the same time as my first LAX album, and never knew that one was necessarily more obscure until later.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 11:29 am

can't imagine any other reason to let julia cafritz near a guitar.

I endorse both these statements. Though I don't think it applies to Exene.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 11:30 am

i was listening to "bloodstains across latvia" the other day and again was blown away by Latvian X....what, you guys never hear of LATVIAN X? i've been into them for years!
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 11:55 am

i also like both "X" bands but can listen to first 5 X albums without a problem. and i agree, they are so very very different. i don't know how you would compare them.
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 11:58 am

Dos Equis!! Yay!!
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 12:06 pm | Edited by: rich riggler

At the end of the night, he thanked me for not embarrassing him by playing any of his songs.

What an arrogant prick! I woulda just kept playing White Girl or one of their other cringers over and over until he left.
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 11:43 am

Emos on Ides of March in Austin added.
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 12:01 pm | Edited by: jahna

One of my MOST favorite bands. Great songwriting, unique vocal sound - really amazingly good musicians.

I like the Knitters, too.
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 10:46 pm

X rules.
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 11:48 pm

The Canadian band?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®