Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Palm Springs goners???
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 1:13 pm

Heading out to PS this weekend..anything I just should NOT miss??
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 1:34 pm

A lot of the goners in Palm Springs hang out here:
http://www.findagrave.com/php/famous.php?page=cem&FScemeteryid=188858
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 1:38 pm

I have a huge list of stuff I love in Palm Springs. There are a lot of cool old school bars/restaurants/moetls and decent thrift stores. What are you looking for? Places to stay? Cool architecture? Shopping? Restaurants?
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 2:16 pm

old skool bars, thrift stores, restaurants..

lay it on me!

we are staying at Ruby Montana's Coral Springs, have the entire motel rented to friends
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 2:19 pm

steve samioff, ex of slash magazine had an interest in a hotel there... as you can imagine, its art directed fabulously. i will try to find its address somewhere in the mess that is my computer

you could also drop in on kim fowley on your way out there. go give him a hard time. i'll send you directions/phone number, etc... i mean... he's a NOT MISS kinda thing
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 2:23 pm

I will certianly take that kim fowley info, maybe he will want to come to our fabulous party on Sat night!
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 2:44 pm

the thrift stores are easy coz you go through the yellow pages and there everywhere. last time was kinda picked but its fun.
there's a lot of neat old places to go drinking though. i'm sure everyone else knows better. like, old school ones and lotsa 60s hotels.
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 3:38 pm

I've always wanted to stay at Coral Springs but stayed at the now-defunct Beat Hotel in Desert Hot Springs instead for the last couple years. You can easily find cool old bars and thrift stores in Palm Springs by looking in the yellow pages or asking Ruby - she'll head you in the right direction for sure. I've heard she's quite the character.

My fave thrift store is the Angel View (on Indian Canyon at Alejo). There’s the main store in front along the street with mostly clothes and then a warehouse extension in the back, down the driveway, that has furniture, lamps, housewares, more clothes and all kinds of good junk. I’ve found great, cheap clothes there and always wish I had a truck to drag home some gems from the furniture department. We found an awesome Merimekko wall hanging last time we were there and cool 60s modern chairs that I still wish I’d bought.

Sherman’s on Tahquitz Canyon is a good Jewish deli near downtown that’s been there since the early 50s. Great breakfast, killer homemade desserts and an epic pastrami sandwich. Good, enormous salads and potato pancakes, too. Huge portions in general.

Melvyn’s at the Ingleside Inn (corner of Ramon and Belardo) is an awesome glimpse of old Palm Springs and a locals haunt for the over 60 set. Never actually eaten at the restaurant, but went there once on a Sunday night and the piano bar was BUMPIN’ " no joke. The dance floor was absolutely packed with octogenarians shakin’ it like there was no tomorrow - it was hilarious! Now we always try to stop in when we’re in town. The cocktails there are great and the bartenders know how to pour ‘em. It’s a white table cloth type place, but the atmosphere is awesome and unique. It’s worth just going for one drink to check it out and then wander around the Ingleside a bit " really pretty 1920s Spanish villa hotel. Fun people watching and the staff is always super polite and friendly to us even though we look like young hoodlums compared to the rest of the patrons.

We like to hit up the bar in the lobby at The Parker around sunset (not the snooty restaurant - get your drinks from the bar in the hotel lobby and then sit outside in their HUGE gardens) for gerat atmosphere without the high pricetag. Food and drinks are great at Davey’s Hideaway, too " an old school joint with big high-backed red leather banquettes and classic menu and cocktails. It can be a little pricey, but it's not to be missed if you've got a reason to celebrate or splurge a little just because you're on vacation. Las Casuelas on Palm Canyon (the huge one in the middle of downtown next to Copy Katz) is a tourist trap, but the Mexican food is not bad (in fact, the green corn tamales are damn good, when they have ‘em), the service is god and the margaritas are huge, very potent and delish.

If you’re looking to check out some modern architecture, first go to the Palm Springs Visitors Center on North Palm Canyon (Hwy 111). The building itself is cool, but they sell a great map for an awesome self-guided architectural tour throughout the city.

The Tramway is cool for an amazing view and something to fill an afternoon, but be prepared to be super cold at the top of the mountain. It’s usually freezing-butt-cold there even in the middle of summer.
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 3:52 pm

http://www.orbitin.com/mod-shopping.html

have some friends from NY who always stay at this place. not exactly cheap... but rather old school groovy. do a great cocktail hour. there's a link to cool thrift shops & vintage furniture places & bars.
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 3:53 pm

what do you know???
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 3:59 pm

thank you all!
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 4:03 pm

steve samioff, ex of slash magazine had an interest in a hotel there

his name was juan, the cabana boy*

.. as you can imagine, its art directed fabulously
confirmed: GAY!*

*-might not be true on either count but come on, that was to awesome to pass up.
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 5:23 pm

maybe he will want to come to our fabulous party on Sat night!

i bet he will.

let's exchange info off line

punkturns30 at gmail dot com
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 5:25 pm

ps - steve samioff & his hot asian chick wife's house:

http://www.orbitin.com/review-echoes-v9.html
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 5:59 pm

let's exchange info off line

Just sent you an email!
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 4:16 am

i'm jealous
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 8:30 am

Palm Springs is actually the most horrid place I've ever been in my life. The only thing I enjoyed was the "world's second highest tram ride" up the mountain. 15 minutes through 9 ecosystems. It was nice to move from dead-life desert floor artificially created by pumping water up through the ground to actual places where mammals can survice. A reminder that however much Palm Springs sucks, at least it will return to desert within a year or two of the water running out (which will probably happen in my lifetime). Also saw where Liberace lived 'n his "partner" waved at us. Go Milwaukee queers!
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 8:51 am

hi, have fun in palm springs. i think gina wrote a great write up...i like having a drink at the viceroy--- designed by kelly werstler too--
Posted: Jan 31, 2008 6:46 am

drop in on kim fowley
he's famous, right?
the rollingstones wrote a couple of songs about him like..
"Under Assistant West Coast Promo Man" that one from the bands early period and from the mid period.."Sympathy For The Devil"
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 1:08 pm

Didnt see Kim Fowley, but did drop in on Melvyn's and the Angel View thrift.

Thank you for the wonderful recommendations!
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 1:14 pm

Didnt see Kim Fowley

did he ever call or write you back? i told him you were a friend... hopefully he at least acknowledged you
Posted: Feb 5, 2008 1:47 pm

he did write me back and I think called me from Disneyland???
it was quite a weird garbled message
so not
quite sure...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®