Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / things to do in los angeles?
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 6:48 pm

i'll be there starting saturday for 4 nights & will have some free time (mostly nights) when not working.

i know next to nothing about L.A. i do know i'll be very close to hollywood blvd.

i plan on checking out amoeba. any other record/cd stores? live music places? bars? other goner-friendly places?

is it realistic to think i could get a nosebleed ticket for $50 or less from a scalper for the cavs vs. lakers on sunday 12:30 PST game?
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 7:05 pm

scratch that. i'll be on wilshire, sort of near downtown (i guess), not near hollywood blvd.
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 7:31 pm

will you have a car? or will you be taking public transportation? that really does color your activities.

on sundays, there's the farmer's market on ivar/selma (around cahuenga - close to amoeba... combine your journey!) -which is great, but i presume you're in a hotel... but i like it.

live music places that don't suck, you need a car to get to:
spaceland, mr t's bowl, the scene, the echo

bars - well, they're all over the place
frolic room on hollywood blvd., bunch of places in the sunset junction area

where's gore? he's the man on the scene...
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 8:08 pm

Get some comics. Then, get some records.
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 8:42 pm

I'm gonna be in Huntington beach all next week. Probably won't have time to do much (or to visit I Am the Foot), but I'll bet the weather's a lot better than here!
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 8:51 pm

thing to do in LA: O.D. and die in the street
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 9:11 pm

what dates are you going to be in town?
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 2:48 pm

I'm thinking of moving to L.A. It's like that Randy Newman video, right?
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 3:15 pm

i'll be in town starting sat 01/26, leaving wed 01/30.

no car, relying on either my feet.....or public transportation.....or cabs.
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 3:51 pm

should be some street punk band playing somewhere on your block... keep your ears open, but be sure to bring your boots and braces!
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 4:24 pm

relying on either my feet.....or public transportation.....or cabs.

"nobody walks in LA" - because its quite spread out
bookmark this page: http://www.metro.net/default.asp
its got bus maps and subway maps and schedules
and that's about it as far as public transportation goes
if you want to go to the west side - that will take you a long time
the santa monica big blue bus is the thing to ride in/around the west side and on long hauls across the city (ie: LA to SM) on santa monica blvd

taxis - i've only once taken a cab in LA - you have to call, the dispatchers are horrible people who prefer you give them an exact address rather than "corner of La Cienega and Beverly Blvd"
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 4:34 pm

Oh good grief...rent a damn car...and sit in traffic and cry like everybody else.
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 4:52 pm

bahooka bowl in rosemead was cool. get wasted on a "cobra strike" in a grotto.

is the house/lab in pasedena where jack parsons blew himself up still standing?
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 5:38 pm

I'm thinking of moving to L.A. It's like that Randy Newman video, right?

damn straight!

but with more boobs
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 5:39 pm

more boobs

the nature of art
is some body part
-----iggy
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 5:40 pm

Seriously, I can't even THINK of visiting downtown LA without having breakfast at Clifton's on Broadway!!! and lunch at Phillipe's
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 5:45 pm

i'll be in town starting sat 01/26, leaving wed 01/30.

no car, relying on either my feet.....or public transportation.....or cabs.

yo...

Saturday night...1/26
Live Fast Die!
Static Static
The Small Steppes

and a new unnamed band band with members of the clorox girls, feelers, plastic letters.

At Zen Sushi in Silverlake

Bars - The Smog Cutter (old Bukowski bar)
Bar 107 - 4th and Main not too far from staples.

Bahooka's is cool but it's in Rosemead...about 30 minutes east of Downtown and they close early.

If you need some tiki action go to Tiki Ti on Sunset just passed the junction

record stores - Amoeba, Headline Records on melrose and Don's Music in Eagle Rock

Eats - Phillipe's - French Dip Sammiches on Alameda just east of Chinatown
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 5:46 pm

It's either LA or London (or maybe Dublin since Wifey and Rigglette are Irish citizens). I'm thinking sun/fun might be cooler than depressed Limeys and rain all the time. Plus they don't have baseball or Pot clinics in the UK.
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 5:47 pm

I can't even THINK of visiting downtown LA without having breakfast at Clifton's on Broadway!!! and lunch at Phillipe's

I'd do breakfast at The Pantry over Clifton's but Clifton's is cool too.
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 5:48 pm

It's either LA or London (or maybe Dublin since Wifey and Rigglette are Irish citizens). I'm thinking sun/fun might be cooler than depressed Limeys and rain all the time. Plus they don't have baseball or Pot clinics in the UK.

we don't have yuengling...but even rainy days like today have sunshine
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 5:52 pm

Pez - The subway runs under wilshire. Good way to get you downtown or to Hollywood...but it doesn't run very late.
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 5:53 pm

What's that cool old bar in Hollywood with the red leather banquettes? That place is great for daytime drinking. Also, do they still have a Denny's in Hollywood? (I guess Theresa said The Cramps Denny's is gone but maybe the Rodney's Denny's is still there? I can't live in LA without Denny's.)
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 5:57 pm

thanks for all the suggestions.

goner should have a travel guide to go with the cook book.
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 5:58 pm

What's that cool old bar in Hollywood with the red leather banquettes?
Musso and Frank's?

Also, do they still have a Denny's in Hollywood? (I guess Theresa said The Cramps Denny's is gone but maybe the Rodney's Denny's is still there? I can't live in LA without Denny's.)

Rock n Roll Denny's is gone...but there are still several in Hollywood...Rodney hangs at Canter's now.
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 6:01 pm

Three Clubs? (From what I remember?)
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 6:02 pm

Three Clubs? (From what I remember?)

can be cool...kinda hipster...but depends on the night
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 6:16 pm

i liked ye rustic inn.
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 6:21 pm

can be cool...kinda hipster...but depends on the night

I got that. Only went there once. It was totally dead, and I got free booze b/c bartender liked my accent.
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 6:25 pm

rent a car
If you make it to Don's Music
there's a great polish restaurant not to far called Polka (on Vedugo)
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 6:30 pm

there's a great polish restaurant not to far called Polka (on Vedugo)

very true! Verdugo and York to be exact!

i liked ye rustic inn.
Ye Rustic Inn is great and is The Drawing Room right across the street

both on Hillhurst between Franklin and Sunset in Los Feliz
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 6:41 pm

Dresden Supper Club.
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 6:44 pm

Dresden Supper Club.
runied by the movie Swingers...but still really good drinks...killer garlic fries...and Marty and Elaine
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 6:52 pm

and Marty and Elaine

Have you ever stumped them?
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 6:54 pm

Rodney hangs at Canter's now.

at 11 PM every night - just in case you need to see him

Musso and Frank's?
enter through the kitchen from the parking lot in back - very old skool! the restaurant is pricey - a biz lunch expense account place - but the happy hour and bar scene is fun for people watching. i met laura huxley (widow of aldous) there. david carradine was with here --- that's what i mean by people watching. really unexpected stuff
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 7:24 pm | Edited by: arman

gore: i saw this trainwreck of a dude at some diner in a doors t-shirt hovering over a jukebox playing and singing/gyrating along to doors songs. do you know him?
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 7:36 pm

it was miss faye!
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 8:03 pm

gore: i saw this trainwreck of a dude at some diner in a doors t-shirt hovering over a jukebox playing and singing/gyrating along to doors songs. do you know him?

sounds like I Am The Arm

and Marty and Elaine

Have you ever stumped them?

NEVER!
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 8:10 pm

Clifton's is rad but, the food's average...Just a great show for people watching if you go during the day...Smog cutter rules!!!Esp. if you like karaoke. I used to live 2 blocks away....Great tacos everyfriggin where here...But, Gore's tamales n' Salsa kick the shit out of most of any you'll ever digest.

Where at on wilshire? I'm just 4 blocks from it...It is a rather long street though...

Trickknee, what you doing down there? Gimme a call, fucker...Tried to call you last week.

Denny's are everywhere and rodney is everywhere still and looking like an old jewish broad.
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 8:11 pm

Yup, that was me, guys...I was crankin out Light my Fire as I was writing poetry about lizards.
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 8:13 pm

FYI...Subway trains stop at 1am so be to your train around midnight or you're cabbin or bussin or fucked.
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 8:17 pm

Rodney hangs at Canter's now.

Goin there in a bit for lunch in memory of MLK. Didn't feel like I celebrated enough for the man. MLK Day Rules!
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 9:03 pm

Jumbo's Clown Room is a fun place to kill an hour or two.
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 9:48 pm

I used to live 2 blocks awa
You moved?
When?
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 10:08 pm

Jumbo's Clown Room is a fun place to kill an hour or two.

YEAH!

How could I forget Jumbo's!!!
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 10:25 pm

But, Gore's tamales n' Salsa kick the shit out of most of any you'll ever digest.

Just made more salsa today...no tamales for a while
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 10:25 pm

I used to live 2 blocks awa
You moved?
When?

Don't tell her...she'll stalk you
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 6:15 am

I guess I've been spoiled by too much time in real strip joints. Cain't see no pink at Jumbos. The broads the night I went were not so hot, maybe it's better ya cain't see no pink there...
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 4:00 pm

Don't tell her...she'll stalk you
of course I will
cuz
that's what I do!
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 5:12 pm

Arm, more work shit, I'll be there Sun-Thurs (there being Huntington Beach). Seriously won't have time during this one, though. Next time I'll take off the weekend again and we can catch a mouse.
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 5:58 pm

Seriously won't have time during this one, though. Next time I'll take off the weekend again and we can catch a mouse.

gayness
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 6:00 pm

I guess I've been spoiled by too much time in real strip joints. Cain't see no pink at Jumbos. The broads the night I went were not so hot, maybe it's better ya cain't see no pink there...

well the cool thing about Jumbo's are that you can drink there...and the girls pick the songs off the juke...the only time I've seen a girl "strip" to Tom Waits was at Jumbo's...there's a new law in CA that says it's either bikini or totally nude...so I'd rather drink
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 6:58 pm

1. Sit in traffic... you really won't have a choice here.
2. Look at the graffiti... you won't have a choice here either.
3. Go to the address of some really cool place that used to exist and wonder why they would rip it down and build a strip mall in it's place.
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 7:53 pm

I saw a friend strip to Jets to Brazil once. It was painful.
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 8:24 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Seeing this unenhanced super-stacked broad dance to "The Streak" was one of the highlights of my life. This was back in the day when you had to listen to "Closer" by NIN at least 5 times if you spent more than an hour in a strip club. Oh, it was in a bar with 3 stages, full bar, full nude, $4.50 steak dinners and you get the right girl, she'll give you a peek inside an orifice or two. Only bummer was they charged cover during peak hours, typically 2-4 bux though.

Sometimes seeing 'em dance to Tom Waits can get old hat at Mary's and Magic Gardens,
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 8:26 pm

Super young goth chick dancing to Coil's "Anal Staircase" was pretty cool too. I could go on, that's the last example for the day...
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 8:52 pm

Go to the Frolic room, right off of Hollywood. Or there's Frolic II, which is also right off Hollywood, or the Powerhouse, which was my favorite bar when I lived there, on Highland right off Hollywood. And Boardners (?) which is right off Hollywood.

Oh, and whats the name of the place downtown that has never closed since 1920 or somethin? And is open 24hrs a day??
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 8:57 pm

I <3 the Powerhouse. Fantastic Ambience, nice smoking alley, but the beer prices were INSANE. IIRC, $10 a pitcher of the beast.
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 9:53 pm

3. Go to the address of some really cool place that used to exist and wonder why they would rip it down and build a strip mall in it's place.

like the tropicana - on santa monica blvd
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 9:57 pm

I <3 the Powerhouse. Fantastic Ambience, nice smoking alley, but the beer prices were INSANE. IIRC, $10 a pitcher of the beast.

When I lived there, Joe Powerhouse was still behind the bar (heard he sold the place and then died shortly afterwards) and you could still smoke INSIDE! (So I dunno about the smoking alley). But I just loved that place. It's still the first place I go if I ever go back to visit.
Posted: Jan 24, 2008 12:32 am

Sometimes seeing 'em dance to Tom Waits can get old hat at Mary's and Magic Gardens

we're not that lucky

Go to the Frolic room, right off of Hollywood. Or there's Frolic II, which is also right off Hollywood, or the Powerhouse, which was my favorite bar when I lived there, on Highland right off Hollywood. And Boardners (?) which is right off Hollywood.

Frolic is cool...Frolic II is gone...it's some paris hilton haunt now

powerhouse is cool if you like winger.

Boardner's got sold...it's okay if you leave by 9 pm otherwise it's Goth town.

I would higly recommend getting out of hollywood by dusk. that whole area is where all that celebrity shit happens. it's sad
Posted: Jan 24, 2008 6:23 pm

Frank and Hanks, on Western/Wilshire
Posted: Jan 24, 2008 7:07 pm

Remember to dress appropriately... When in Rome...

some tips...

1. Casual dress - A black "hoodie" zipped all the up with the hood over your head is appropriate even in 95 degree weather...

2. If you are going to "dress up" for something fancy try an official Laker's "Kobe" jersey or a "Bling" encrusted "Raiders" baseball cap. This outfit will work for either males or females.

3. Talk into your cell phone LOUDLY everywhere you go.

If you follow these tips you should fit in everywhere you go in Los Angeles.

Thank you,
HG
Posted: Jan 24, 2008 9:53 pm

If you're a Simpsons fan: The street where Homer lands after getting sucked through a vortex & winds up in the real world, is on the same block as Freakbeat Records (decent enough store if you have a car, time to kill & extra cash) In Sherman Oaks about a 10 minute drive north of Hollywood. 13616 Ventura Blvd. (near Ventura Canyon Ave)
Posted: Jan 24, 2008 9:54 pm

mmm....erotic cakes.
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 3:32 am

genius steve...
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 4:24 am

if you go to freakbeat you must eat a hot dog at the weiner factory. its on the same street too...
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 6:09 pm | Edited by: Miss Strange

why not make it the hot dog tour of LA
If you find yourself on Sunset or Hollywood in the wee hours & you see a mexican guy grilling bacon dogs with peppers & onions on a street cart, you must have 2.

If you don't mind eating hot dogs between 9:30-11:45 AM, hit up Pinks. Their menu is rather extensive. Any other time you'll be standing in a mile long line like a tard.

If you have a iron stomach & are brave try oki dog & get their signature (2 dogs, pastrami, chili & cheese wrapped in a tortilla) for good people watching (scary) go late @ nite.
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 6:11 pm

why not make it the hot dog tour of LA

don't forget Skooby's on Hollywood blvd...next door to the old Masque...Best hot dog in town...in my opinion
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 6:23 pm

http://texasbbqking.com/menu.php
For killer bbq near downtown. huge portions & good prices. Original Texas BBQ King. If anyone has other bbq suggestions I'd love to know.

I still haven't stopped @ Skooby's, but I have heard that said.

Also on Hollywood Blvd, you'll find some really good t-shirt shops. Just east of Highland Ave on the north side of the street you'll find 2 really close to each other (maybe next door). I think one of them is called Capital Rock. There's another good one on the south side of the street about a block or so further east. Mostly classics. If your t-shirt taste are strictly punk rock & garage, Headline on Melrose has a great selection too. Tons of patches & stickers too.
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 6:54 pm

dr hoggly woggly's tyler texas bbq. It's in north hollywood or van nuys. That was the best when I was out there. Huge portions. is Mondo Video still around? They have a great Olsen twins selection.
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 7:30 pm

Mondo just closed down.
Haven't been to Hogly Wogly's, heard of it. BBQ King's portions are also huge. If I order the sampler basket & share an order of tri-tip with the boy it lasts me 3 meals. They cook it outdoors on real wood, you can smell it from a mile away.
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 7:53 pm | Edited by: gore

man...I just looked at the menu for BBQ king...I may have to go there for lunch today.
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 7:58 pm

is that tx bbq king on sunset going downtown, right before you hit chinatown?
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 8:22 pm

yep that's it.
i may have to go this weekend if the rain lets up. i think the cross street is cesar chavez.
Here's a stumper...
Anyone know of any greasy spoon/diners in or near Hollywood that aren't packed with stupid hipsters for a late weekend breakfast?
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 8:29 pm

Here's a stumper...
Anyone know of any greasy spoon/diners in or near Hollywood that aren't packed with stupid hipsters for a late weekend breakfast?

not in Hollywood...but I have a few in my neighborhood...

Pat & Lorraine's on Eagle Rock blvd

Arman's on Eagle rock blvd

and Cindy's on Colorado
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 9:03 pm

speaking of, is millies still there? I used to work there with a guy from SANDY DUNCAN'S EYE! and keith morris! HAH!
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 9:22 pm

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 9:30 pm

all of the greasy spoons i know of like that are in nowheresville. millie's is totally still there and raging up a storm.
i must try this bbq place though...
and skooby's is rad. so is thai town by the way if you go to jumbos clown room.
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 9:31 pm

I was ther eabout 25 years ago. Still remeber it like it was yesterday. Kiiiiiilliiiin' ribs.
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 9:48 pm

i think millies is still there
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 10:05 pm

Thai Town is the place with the giant hot dog on the roof right? I've ordered in from there.... They make a good shirley temple ;o) Though for Thai... I usually order from Tom Yum, best Thai Toast.

On that note, can't wait to come to NY so I can get honest to goodness Shrimp Toast. Chinese is one of those foods that is better back east for some reason.

Looks like i'll have to try Dr Hogly Wogly's. I'm not in Van Nuys very much , but I need to go to the Pick-a-Part yards in Sunland, so I make a stop there too. that & the Van Nuys Walmart for some mexican candy. Shit you not, best anywhere, aside probably from that place on Alvarado St (which I haven't been to).

I'm pretty loyal to BBQ King, but I like to try them all. If anyone ever tells you to go to Mr Cecil's tell em to fuck off...seriously.
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 10:13 pm

but I need to go to the Pick-a-Part yards in Sunland

mopar parts??
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 10:25 pm

there's BBQ sauce all over my keyboard
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 5:01 pm

by "thai town", i just meant that whole strip of hollywood blvd. where they have all the thai food. so much good stuff right there. but i did hear that the thai hot dog stand place is pretty good too.
there is amazing chinese in san gabriel valley and that area...tons and tons...
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 5:32 pm | Edited by: Miss Strange

mopar parts??

Nope, just a passenger side view mirror for a 2000 Corolla & maybe some hubcaps. I'd totally have a classic car if i had the $ for upkeep & some know-how under the hood. But for now, good ol reliable economy cars are my ride.

there's BBQ sauce all over my keyboard

good shit huh?

"thai town", i just meant that whole strip of hollywood blvd.

I live just south of there near Western & Santa Monica.

there is amazing chinese in san gabriel valley

Yeah I've heard that... We did get some damn fine peking duck at Hong Kong Bistro on Cahuenga on Xmas day. They also do some great appetizers, thought for some reason they serve thai toast rather than shrimp toast... I'm sure SGV is better though.
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 5:52 pm

sgv rules for all things asian. i wish i was closer to it. good everything. i love that area for thai though...
i really wanna try the boat noodles at saap coffee shop. yum.
your near some awesome korean bbq too...
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 6:05 pm

Jessie is right!!

NBC seafood in Monterey Park has killer Dim Sum and some of the best Peking Duck on the West Coast

There are also so awesome noodle houses in San Gabriel
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 7:08 pm

is it realistic to think i could get a nosebleed ticket for $50 or less from a scalper for the cavs vs. lakers on sunday 12:30 PST game?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/tix/551649570.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/tix/551562918.html
Posted: Jan 27, 2008 10:20 pm

Hello!!!PINKS hot dogs on uh....La Brea an uh...melrose????Did anyone mention this shit???What the fuck you gonna tour hot doggery without going here? Uh...yeah...Your tour will never be complete without it...

Millie's is still there on sunset and alvarado-ish... yup...closes at 3pm though...

I would make it a Taco Tour instead...Fuckin A....Tacos Por Favor in Santa Monica on Olympic and 17th-ish Rules!!! and Estrella in Highland Park on Figeroa and Ave 60 kick dicks...

TACO TOUR!!!

TOTAL!!!
Posted: Jan 27, 2008 10:25 pm

a taco tour?
i posted a whole long list of taquierias a couple years ago....
lemme search for it
Posted: Jan 27, 2008 10:27 pm

and of course stop in at Gore's house and demand his kick ass tamales and salsa...
Posted: Jan 27, 2008 10:27 pm

Posted: Jan 27, 2008 10:31 pm

do it!!! tacos make my world go round and my belly rounder....I want a new place that's close to me...I drive 30 miles for asada regularly
Posted: Jan 27, 2008 10:36 pm

damn....I remember that thread....I am gonna get to some a dems.

yum
Posted: Jan 28, 2008 12:54 am

when i come back, we still gotta go to roscoe's!!
Posted: Jan 28, 2008 3:38 am

when i come back
break out your waders
Posted: Jan 28, 2008 11:06 am | Edited by: Miss Strange

TACO TOUR!!!

CACTUS!!! 3 locations. On Vine St between Melrose & Santa Monica, On Beverly bewtween Western & Normandie & one in east LA somwhere. best Al Pastor.

Tacos Por Favor in Santa Monica on Olympic and 17th-ish Rules

ahh... My guy works just around the corner from here, we've been curious about this place... Very good to know.
Posted: Jan 28, 2008 11:10 am

gotta go to roscoe's!!

They expanded the Gower location, about doubled the size. You'll probably have less of a wait than you're used to.
Posted: Jan 28, 2008 12:33 pm

Went to Pink's on Sat, ordered a spicy polish chili cheese bacon burrito dog, was only able to finish 1/4 of it! Luckily I had someone to share it with...and yeah he got sick from eating the remaining 3/4
Posted: Jan 28, 2008 3:48 pm

Taco Tour? Happy eating:

URL
Posted: Jan 28, 2008 4:21 pm

there's a taco guy who blogs on his own page and you can find him on chowhound.com. there's also a hot dog page too. yumm...
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 2:02 am

Yeah Pink's has some sick shit too....I can barely eat a regular hot dog without sickage...Tacos rule the dogs!!!

Just checkin out chowhound.com

Rosco's TK....anytime. Hopin to see Lil' Richard too.
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 6:29 pm

best Al Pastor.

HA! no way! King Taco on 3rd or Estrella are better. Cactus is great...but best Al Pastor...I have to disagree
Posted: Jan 31, 2008 2:06 pm

in case anyone cares, i did zilch in los angeles because my work conference took all my time & it's not so easy to get around.

well, i did manage to make it to amoeba one day & that was fun. headline would have been a 2.5 mile walk from there so i skipped it.

oh yeah - and now britney won't leave me alone & don cheadle was on my return flight.
Posted: Jan 31, 2008 2:55 pm

in case anyone cares, i did zilch in los angeles because my work conference took all my time & it's not so easy to get around.

dude! we had ballons and punch waiting for you at ZEN.
Posted: Jan 31, 2008 3:15 pm

you're a ballons.
Posted: Jan 31, 2008 5:08 pm

HA! no way! King Taco on 3rd or Estrella are better. Cactus is great...but best Al Pastor...I have to disagree

Dang... Now I want to try this place but there's not one near me... S. Hoover is kinda close. Maybe next time I'm downtown.
Posted: Feb 1, 2008 11:19 am

I ate at In & Out Burger and Der Wienerschnitzel for the first time (back to back, block apart). In & Out is pretty good fast food stuff and Der Wienerschnitzel has really gross dogs & decent chili (that I could taste for the rest of the day). The night before we ate at what was supposedly the #1 French restaurant in CA, and I liked In & Out better.
Posted: Feb 1, 2008 11:27 am

What was the name of the french restaurant?
Posted: Feb 1, 2008 11:32 am

Der Wienerschnitzel has really gross dogs & decent chili (that I could taste for the rest of the day).

gotta stick with the corndogs there...Der Wienerschnitzel corndogs and a six pack is a total party!
Posted: Feb 1, 2008 11:35 am

When in the Valley, there is only ONE place to get chili dogs... CUPID'S!!!
Posted: Feb 1, 2008 12:49 pm

king taco rules and you all have to check out the guy who does "the great taco hunt" blog thingy. he talks about tacos all around l.a. and yummy. he's usually never wrong....
Posted: Feb 1, 2008 1:09 pm

I checked that out! I was pretty stoked to see the taco truck down the block from my pad score pretty high. El Matador. Will be hittin them up sometime soon.
Posted: Feb 1, 2008 1:11 pm

see! love that shit...yay tacos
Posted: Feb 1, 2008 1:12 pm

While i haven't done a chili dog tour... I do like the chile cheese dogs @ Carneys.
Posted: Feb 1, 2008 1:13 pm

I do like the chile cheese dogs @ Carneys.

YEAH! those are good! and you can get beer there! but I don't like their fries
Posted: Feb 1, 2008 1:15 pm

Yea Del Taco!
Posted: Feb 1, 2008 1:22 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

I'm pissed that cheap taco Tuesday prices went up from 39 cents to 69 cents at my Del Taco. It's an outrage! Happened just a couple months ago.
Posted: Feb 1, 2008 1:26 pm

http://www.turnhere.com/city/los_angeles/Around_the_City/films/685.asp x

some guy made a short film of the best taco & hot dog stands in LA... a few have been mentioned already
Posted: Feb 1, 2008 1:59 pm

i love chili on everything and love the ones at carney's. i also love the original ole nasty tommy burger...
you can also go to the "hot dog spot" on the computer and check out what they say about dogs...
Posted: Feb 1, 2008 2:31 pm | Edited by: gore

i also love the original ole nasty tommy burger...

you haven't lived until you've had the Tommy's breakfast sammich.

Eggs, Sausage, Cheese and Tommy's CHILI!
Posted: Feb 1, 2008 4:21 pm

I do like the chile cheese dogs @ Carneys.

I like the chili and spaghetti at Carney's
Posted: Feb 1, 2008 5:03 pm

For what its worth, I just posted a recipe for Tomatoless Chili in the Tomato Substitute thread. It's supposed to be Tommy's recipe.
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 4:02 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS

I wish I could remember exactly where I got it, but the BEST al pastor I EVER had was in sanberdino - that's how they say it anyways, San Bernardino, I think, is how it's spelled. It was in a strip mall. Fuckin' perfect. The pork had a little crust to it, and MMMMMMmmmm.

The taco truck by me puts a little cinnamon in there or something, makes me wanna hurl...so I stick to asada and lengua for the most part.
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 8:50 pm

Millie's isn't in Echo Park (by Alvarado), it's at Sunset and Maltman, in Silverlake.
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 8:52 pm

get out (get out)
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®