Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / SEATTLE- 15 years ago,Rich Riggler is chronicled in the New York Times of Grunge
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 8:03 pm

From the "What Are The Odds?" Department of the Goner Board:

My roommate finds a random copy of now-defunct NW Rock Rag The Rocket from October of 1992 that he had in storage. I look in the Record Review Section and find this...

"Some people don't like N*d H*****n personally. I don't know him,but I believe everything i read in Your Flesh or hear at the New Music Seminar. Anyway the British press loves Ned's band THE ACTION SWINGERS,and i'm confused,because their new EP More Fast Numbers (Wiija,130 Talbot Rd.,London w11 1JA) is one rollin' platter. It is loud,fast,and more direct than one would expect from a Pussy Galore-related project.Then again,Bruce Bennett from the A-Bones plays guitar,maybe it's partly his fault. Recorded in London by Seattle native Steve Mack, the Swingers sound like a super-charged,fine-tuned monster truck chugging right up into a grandstand of Budweiser-capped Kentuckians. Tough to argue with."
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 8:03 pm

Oh, great. Way to fuel the fire, Joe!!
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 8:18 pm

I couldn't believe it when i saw it! There's no escaping the Gonerverse.
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 8:28 pm

That's the worst Action Swingers record! Unless I missed one! And the last one? Still OK, nothing like the Toe Rag shit or "Kicked in the Head" era.
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 9:22 pm

I've never actaully heard this record so i can't vouch for the write-up. Weird coincidences rule though.
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 10:17 am

next time i se the A Frames, I'll walk over and say "Ned says hi, wanna ass fuck?"
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 1:19 pm

Never heard much Action Swingers,
is it HIGH ENERGY RAWK!?
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 5:30 pm

I still get scared when i blast "I Don't Wanna Be This Way." Did you fags play that at the reunion?
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 6:25 pm

I heard the Action Swingers once.
There was no need to make it twice.
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 6:27 pm

Poor decision.
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 8:59 pm

Budweiser-capped Kentuckians. Whatever. Don't even get me started. I bet that writer has never seen a hillbilly before. Unfortunatly the writting hasn't gottin' any better here in 'Addle. Some of the staff at The Stranger should be dragged from a truck and thenass fuck.
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 8:37 pm

Yeah, all the creeps are right. I suck.
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 11:22 pm | Edited by: Joe Pestilence

That writer was Young Fresh Fellow Scott McCaughey,who had a column in the Rocket at the time. He seems to write about good stuff(Flaming Groovies,Billy Childish also get reviewed among others) but still plays with REM for some inexplicable reason. He showed his true devotion to C-Town by moving to Portland just.like.everybody.else.

Here's another write-up from that same ish,but not by Scott:

"Paul Caporino (guitars/vox) and Beck Dudley (drums/vox) share a long,sordid story involving New Orleans,self-released cassettes,Boston,and now Chicago,where they perform as MASTERS OF THE OBVIOUS. Their latest,"Places We Used To Go" (Rockville,PO Box 800,Rockville Centre,NY 11571),comes with production from Steve Albini and,well,imagine Badfinger living in Olympia (and forget about the Capenters)."
Posted: Jan 17, 2008 10:27 am

the creeps
was listening to their album last Saturday night
Posted: Jan 17, 2008 6:38 pm

i bought the 1st supercharger lp 'cause of s mcCaughey's mention. he totally rules.

REM took him on tour/ let him in the band for the company, i think, ala the OG Country Teasers with Wee Richie.
Posted: Jan 18, 2008 9:18 am

he totally rules
he don't do local shit hole shows like he used to
and i never see Joey Kline anymore
Posted: Jan 18, 2008 3:06 pm

but still plays with REM for some inexplicable reason

Better that he stayed in a shithole town writing shithole reviews of shithole bands like The Dick Swingers? I hate when musicians actually go on the road and make money and play music. Fucking sell outs. I would never take a job that pays me more either. I have integrity. That's the Plasma Donor Honer Code.
Posted: Jan 18, 2008 3:08 pm

i like scott mcaughey. nice guy. i've seen him do local shit hole shows in out of town (for him) local shit holes. does that count?
Posted: Jan 18, 2008 3:26 pm

Yes.
Posted: Jan 18, 2008 4:18 pm

Well, we've managed to connect the dots from The Young Fresh Fellows to Action Swingers to That Petrol Emotion (via Steve Mack) to Supercharger. Pretty interesting thread.
Posted: Jan 18, 2008 4:28 pm

Steve Mack had a really cute Irish girlfriend. John Wills from Loop was our soundguy for that tour at some dates (Camden Palace, Powerhaus). He's a cool dude (and a great drummer). I think he mastered that record too.
Posted: Jan 18, 2008 5:10 pm

a guilded eternity & wolfflow rule for all eternity!

yff played 3 local shithole shows in 07

joey kline can be found at whole foods ravenna making soy lattes
Posted: Jan 19, 2008 1:14 am | Edited by: Joe Pestilence

" I hate it when musicians actually go out on the road actually go out on the road and make money and play music. Fucking sell outs. I would never take a job that pays me more either."

Mr. Lee,if you were familiar w/ any of my previous posts on here you would know that i don't give a shit about "selling out". The concept doesn't even exist anymore. Everyone's a whore. I was making a more general statement along the lines of "well,you can't account for taste" than any bithing about cashing in.

I can take my own posts out of context without your help,thank you very much.

Schmuck.
Posted: Jan 19, 2008 11:42 am

"well,you can't account for taste" than any bithing about cashing in

Almost forgot. You were establishing taste here, not analyzing socio economic trends. Is that in context?

Asshole.
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 12:06 am

Geez,touchy. Looks like we have an REM fan on this Board!

Move along people,nothing to see here...
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 11:17 am

and i never see Joey Kline anymore

his band The Plaintiffs are playing the funhouse on feb 1st.

listen to the song "snuggle up" -

http://www.myspace.com/theplaintiffs
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 9:48 am

i've seen him do local shit hole shows
hmmmm
last time I saw him play anything was when Shanon and Dave from The Fallouts worked at a burger place Scott came out of. He opens the door to his 4 cylinder hooptie and starts it up, the radio blasting "Out of Our Tree"
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 12:20 pm

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®