Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / most American micro brewery's suck.
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 7:46 am

we just dont get it. Pale ale's/Stouts/ Lagers..sure it'll fuck you up..if you can get paste the taste of carbonated vomit.
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 7:47 am

paste
paste..??? i typed that?
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 7:55 am

What? Fuck that Bell's stuff and start drinking that Grand Rapids goodness called Founders....or Marshall's Crooked Tree.
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 8:16 am

Founders is pretty good, Dale Earnhardt... I mean Merril...

Here in Wisconsin, we've got plenty of good microbrews - I'm drinking Capital right now...

I actually like some Bell's stuff. It is pretty damn overdone fancy microbrewy tasting, but sometimes I'm in the mood for it.

Michigan is kooky.
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 8:24 am

I like drinkin'
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 8:25 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS

I guess I'd agree that most of them prolly do suck, there are so damn many of them. The ones that don't suck, rule though!

Now, as to what percentage suck compared to percentages that suck in other countries, I really don't know. I've only been to Canada and Jamaica since I've been of drinking age, and didn't visit a microbrewery in any of them. I've had a couple bottles from a couple smaller Canadien breweries, I suppose, but wasn't blown away...

On the rare occasion I get a fresh bottle of some Samuel Smith's variety (dunno if they qualify as microbrewery), it's pretty good. I get stale samples so frequently, I'd rather stick to something local.
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 8:31 am

I'm fucked up right now. I just wanna say that, SSSSSSSSSSS, I had to slither through your post just now. If our goal was to obliterate drunks then well: there you go.
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 11:22 am

Most?
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 12:50 pm | Edited by: bowie

I'm fucked up right now. I just wanna say that, SSSSSSSSSSS, I had to slither through your post just now. If our goal was to obliterate drunks then well: there you go.

This is the funniest thing I have ever read, and, if that IS our goal, then I want in on it too.
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 12:58 pm

New Glarus doesn't suck!
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 3:03 pm

fuck that, i'll drink the hell outta bells two hearted and dogfish 60min/90min...
i got tired of retching pbr a long time ago..at least if I'm shitting/puking
IPAs, it still tastes good...
bring on the hops
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 4:23 pm

I just cracked a Hamm's for breakfast. Mmmmm... Most microbrews don't go well with eggs and bakey ... speaking of IPA's, think I'm gonna have to go get a double deuce of Stone IPA to wash down lunch - salmon, greenbeans and Greek salad.
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 4:29 pm

Tried the Brooklyn India Pale Ale last night. It was pretty tatsy. I have to admit I've grown tired of most strong tasting hopsy microbrews. I'd rather have a czech lager anyday.
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 4:30 pm

That should be "tasty". Guess I'm still feeling the effects.
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 4:47 pm

New Glarus doesn't suck!

New Glarus is one of the best beers I've found in over a decade. One of the main reasons to go to Wisconsin sice New Glarus won't sell to Illinois.
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 5:52 pm

New Glarus is one of the best beers I've found in over a decade.

agreed! the last i checked D&D liquor on division and damen had it.
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 6:27 pm

I actually like some Bell's stuff.

Nah, Bell's doesn't suck at all but whenever I get into a conversation about beer with a non Michiganer they ALWAYS bring it up like it's end all of holy nektar (at least from this state). Founder's is kicking some ass.

The New Glarus stuff I tried was indeed good but they don't sell it anywhere outside the state (which seems to be par for the course with a lot of the beers made in that Wiaconsin)
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 6:29 pm

I have to admit I've grown tired of most strong tasting hopsy microbrews. I'd rather have a czech lager anyday.

Your prayers are answered.
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 7:09 pm

I have a hop vine I planted in my garden. This will be its fourth year, so it should produce a lot, although last year they turned brown. Don't know why.
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 7:49 pm

This is the funniest thing I have ever read, and, if that IS our goal, then I want in on it too.

word. obliterating drunks? count me in.
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 8:01 pm

one of the best beers i have had in a long while is HopBack by Troegs. It is out of Harrisburg. unfortunately their distribution is limited to within 3 hours of them but it is really good.
http://www.troegs.com/index.htm
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 8:03 pm

I like this beer a lot
http://www.allagash.com/white.htm
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 8:07 pm

Beer is for teenage girls!

Real men drink bourbon!
Straight and clean (just like miss linda)!
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 8:11 pm

If they started selling them in 30 packs, they'd have a lot easier sell with me...
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 8:31 pm | Edited by: dale

dogfish 60min/90min...

Brilliantly made beers.

It's stout season 'round here though.

I've been reading that because of the weather a lot of the big hop growers had a bad season. A shortage of the best ones and price is going up. It's time to attempt to making my own batches again.
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 3:05 am

"sure it'll fuck you up..if you can get paste the taste of carbonated vomit."

Actually i think most Microbrews taste more like canned Green Beans to me. Go figure. But there's stilll a few that i like- Sierra Nevada,Bridgeport IPA and Liberty Ale come to mind. But just like "foodies",the attitudes of most of the "Connisuers" (yup,Sp.) is a serious buzzkill.

I just bought a Six Pack of Hamm's from the Fred Meyer and i'm trying to decide if i should go to that Mosquito Bandito show at Slabtown tonight.
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 3:07 am

Actually i think most Microbrews taste more like canned Green Beans to me.
Amen, brother....cheap beer and call liquor is the way to go...
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 3:10 am

Drank some Sprecher Pub Brown Ale. Sprecher still brews some good stuff. If ya'll can't get Wisconsin microbrews in yer shitty states, that's yer problem. You could always move here and live in paradise. Except for yous Focking Illinois Bastards -- we don't want you. Packers rule!

I also enjoy bourbon, but this liver has to last quite awhile so I can become a grumpy old man...
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 3:14 am

If ya'll can't get Wisconsin microbrews in yer shitty states,
I piss on your Huber Bock....gimmie a Pabst...or, if in Wisconsin...a Point..
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 3:16 am

Huber Bock isn't a microbrew. I like it, though, despite the headaches...

Point rules.
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 3:29 am

You CAN get Point in Michigan but only in places like Escanaba (which is Wisconsin except in name)
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 3:31 am

If you're outta point...you're outta town....learned that one when I used to go to the Turf...
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 5:02 pm

New Glarus is one of the best beers I've found in over a decade. One of the main reasons to go to Wisconsin sice New Glarus won't sell to Illinois.

There's at least one bar in Chicago---Logan Square specifically---which has a New Glarus beer on tap, though it's not labelled as such.
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 5:36 pm

one of the best beers i have had in a long while is HopBack by Troegs. It is out of Harrisburg. unfortunately their distribution is limited to within 3 hours of them but it is really good.
http://www.troegs.com/index.htm

thanks! i'm gonna hafta go on the tasting tour next Saturday. WOOHOO!
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 9:21 pm

(Joe P. sez:)
Actually i think most Microbrews taste more like canned Green Beans to me.
Stone IPA goes really well with canned green beans!
If you like Sierra Nevada (I'm assuming the Pale Ale - green label) and Bridgeport IPA, you've a good chance of enjoying the Ston IPA.
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 1:22 am

That's not true at all. If anything, I've found some of the American Microbrews I've tried to be some of the best I've ever had. Magic Hat and Wolavers (both from Vermont) make some of the best beers I've ever had in my life and are all organic on top of that.
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 1:24 am

that's why I drink Pink Ladies
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 2:32 am

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales from Dexter, MI is the best beer you will ever have. Good lucking finding a bottle of it. The dude makes it out of a garage. But, you can actually get it at Binny's in Chicago.
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 3:15 am

The Jolly Pumpkin stuff I tried was pretty good (don't remember which one it was though) but the guy is a little bit too much into spices/weird flavorings sometimes distracting from the actual BEER taste. The brews are an interesting take on the formulas none the less. Yeah, it is a rare find on this side of the state but would like to delve into them a little more. I'm still sticking with Founders and Crooked Tree as the best two Michigan companies to steal Bell's thunder eventually.

BazJoe,
How far are you from Dowington, Pa? Try some of the Victory beers. It's fine stuff.
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 8:17 am

right now im drinkin some pear ale bullshit...called ACE. pretty shitty.
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 6:16 am

been drinking really hoppy stuff all week, not bad, but blargs your mouth all up real god. couldn't believe how good a budweiser tasted today... like drinking beer when i was 16!
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 5:53 pm

I'd rather have a czech lager anyday.

yup...that or Belgian
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 7:04 pm

yea..i can handle a few microbrews...but my beer of choice will always be Molson Canadian.
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 7:53 pm

New Glarus is Ballwash. So are most Wisco micros (Sprecher is absolutely wretched).

All you whiners complaining about too much hops are pussys.

Bells makes some great beer. As does Rogue. And California has some great breweries (Lagunitas, North Coast).

Remember that in the end the best tasting beer is a FREE beer.
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 8:02 pm

And California has some great breweries (Lagunitas, North Coast).

Eye of the Hawk!
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 8:02 pm

I wouldn't wash my balls with 99% of the beer brewed in Wisco, and I live in there....
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 8:03 pm

you live in your balls?
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 8:04 pm

JimiHaze is the biggest (only?) beer snob i know.
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 8:04 pm

Remember that in the end the best tasting beer is a FREE beer.
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 8:07 pm

shut up, krusty
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 8:36 pm

Bells makes some great beer. As does Rogue. And California has some great breweries (Lagunitas, North Coast).

Russian River!

The only bummer Rogue makes is that malt liquor..mucho headache and shat pants too...
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 9:41 pm

And California has some great breweries (Lagunitas, North Coast).
Man, I tried some Lagunitas down in SF about 4 years ago (before it hit all the store shelves in OR, WA), and thought that stuff was nasty. Stone IPA and Pale Ale gots to be the best beers I've had from Cali.! Sierra Nevada Pale coming in third. I'll have to check out some North Coast someday.
Posted: Jan 17, 2008 3:49 am

I bought a tall Heineken at the Drive-Thru Party Factory on my way home from work. It's a party store. Michigan sucks, we have party stores that don't sell glitter and novelty hats but beef jerky and 30 packs.

Remember being a beer snob when you could afford to get drunk on a six pack? College was way cool jr.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®