Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / best record stores in NYC?
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 11:49 pm

Will be in town the 1st week of March. What are the best record/cd stores in Greenwich Village? Also near Union square? Used to go to Bleeker Bob's back in the 80's. Is it any good nowadays? The one in L.A. sucks . I seem to vaguely remember Rebel Rebel being ok, if not a little too goth leaning. If memory serves me, I was in Other Music once in the early 90's & it was OK...
what about Generation, House of Oldies, Subteranean, Future Legend???
I don't think I will have time to trek out to the Crypt Store... how many trains/buses does that take from Washington Square?
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 4:13 am | Edited by: cococomas

dunno about logistics, etc... but the best 2 stores I went to in NYC were Academy (annex) and Crypt... Academy has a shit ton if you're willing to look & it's pretty damn reasonable... plus on a good day you get to see Mike Sniper's smiling face.

I'd defer to the people who actually live in NYC for their honest opinions...
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 6:10 am

from Washington Square, it is easy to get to Academy (annex) in Williamsburg.

Take the L train from Union Square (nice walk up a few blocks) to Brooklyn. Get out at Bedford. Academy is on North 6, which is one block away from the L Bedford stop (which is Bedford and North 7)

After you visit Academy Annex you can visit dtrain at Passout - walk south on Bedford to Grand - Passout is on Grand between Bedford and Berry

While you're at Passout, ask dtrain how to get to the Crypt store...

I don't much shop at Other Music anymore (when I'm here) - they're also kinda pricey --- although I did see a GREAT in-store there a couple years ago - Kevin Ayers... so they do aim to please....

I haven't been to Bleecker Bob's in years and the Village area record stores I liked have all eventually closed.
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 7:36 am

What's that good vinyl place on the LES....Rocketship?
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 8:11 am

Academy's got the cutest clerks. Well, just one.
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 2:40 pm

kim's music on st. mark's place is worth a visit
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 2:53 pm

I mostly do mailorder with Norton and Crypt these days. I keep wanting to do a Goner order but by the time I'm ready they're always out of what I want (no more Pierced Arrows singles etc...). I was using Forced Exposure but their customer service was so bad I decided I didn't want to give them my money anymore. Bomp is super fast and helpful. (So is Norton. Did an order on Monday and got it yesterday. No more Brad X.!) Whenever I try record shopping in NYC these days (every Friday) nobody has what I want and I wonder why I didn't just mailorder it to begin with. (I was lucky last week and scored a new vinyl copy of My War at Generation. They have a decent Punk/Metal vinyl selection. Other Music has a good CD selection (even seen The Touch Me Nots lp there and the Jay Reauhtard I Know A Fag single) and an uneven vinyl selection though i have scored (Earth 2 double lp reissue!). Downtown Music Gallery has a great Cd selection for New Jazz, prog etc...Kim's is just a mess though they did finally get rid of the asshole manager and the new kids who work there are nice. They're back to paying decently for used too.
I ain't been to Academy Annex because it's in Brooklyn and I might have to see Mike Stiper there. Crypt store must rule but I ain't been there yet neither. The days of scoring a copy of City Slang and The Mad single for $2 each in the basement of Venus are over. (Mike Stiper would be Egaying that stuff at top dollar. Scene killer.)
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 3:06 pm

as stated above, the best stores are in brooklyn (academy, passout & crypt) - and its easy to get to Academy/Passout from union square on the L train.

but it's certainly worth checking out Generation - pretty decent with new 7"'s and LPs

you sort of need a list if you go to House of Oldies because most of the records aren't where you can flip through and dude has to "call downstairs" -- never got anything rare there but some great cheapos (ronnettes, little eva, etc)

Bleeker Street Records (not Bleeker Bobs which isnt actually on Bleeker) - is kind of take it or leave it - same folks as Generation with less punk stuff - but if youre right there you can look at all the records on the wall
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 3:19 pm

Subteranean is in a basement off Sixth Avenue near West 4th Street (a few blocks away from Generation) near a Papaya King (Nature's refreshing elixer!). They got a bunch of stuff you won't find anywhere else in NYC in the Punk department (scored a sealed copy of the Sweet Sister Ray boot on vinyl for $20 there once! Sold it for $100 on Egay like Mike Stiper woulda.). Bleeker Bob's is strictly a tourist trap.
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 3:23 pm

Bleeker Street Records

Scored a cheap La Monte Young LP there once, but yeah, generally it's hit or miss.

I've always liked Gimmee Gimmee, which is on East 5th street between 1st & 2nd Avenues. All used vinyl. I think they're only open Fri, Sat, and Sun, maybe Thursday night as well.

There's also Good Records on East 3rd: http://www.goodrecordsnyc.com/
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 3:31 pm

Scored a cheap La Monte Young LP there once

What record? La Monte rules!
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 3:38 pm

What record? La Monte rules!

The one on Shandar:

http://home.comcast.net/~ed_maurer/Shandar/lamonte.htm

The gatefold sleeve had come unglued a bit and the previous owner "repaired" it by scotch taping it perpendicular to the seam (duh), but thankfully the vinyl is fine.
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 3:50 pm

although i doubt it's still there, there used to be a junk shop on manhattan ave in greenpoint, several blocks north of greenpoint ave, that had tens of thousands LPs & 45s in the basement. it was a great place to spend an afternoon.

someone who still lives in brooklyn might know if it still exists.
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 3:55 pm

I think you mean The Thing:

Never been there, myself.
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 4:01 pm

yeah - looks like the thing is it --

URL

although it looks like - in the the 5 years or so since i've been there - the lighting has gotten better & there's even more vinyl now.

the myspace page lists an age of 25. i know the guy who owns or used to own it was definitely older than 25 so maybe there's a new owner.
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 5:02 pm

who on myspaces says their real age?
i say i'm 87
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 5:23 pm

Is Bleeker Bob's the place in St. Mark's? If it is, I got some good stuff for cheap there. But it seemed like a fluke.
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 5:28 pm

who on myspaces says their real age?
i say i'm 87

only a little fib though :)
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 6:53 pm

Don't forget Rocket Scientist on St Marks. Always find cool stuff there.
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 6:59 pm

Forget Rocket Scientist. The owner is a douchebag (had a guy follow me around the too-cramped shithole last time I was there). Plus they don't have nothing good. Never again.
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 7:04 pm

They're back to paying decently for used too.

That's good to hear. They were getting mighty stingy and all my hook-ups there are long gone.

Still haven't been to Generation.
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 8:36 pm

The one on Shandar

Woah. Never heard (or even seen) that one. Horns on one side and sine wave drones with humming on the other I presume? I bet it's great and worth a lot. There's a sealed Well Tuned Piano Box on Egay that's up to about $350 so far. I wanna have my kid start taking music and art lessons from La Monte and Marian (only $100 an hour!).
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 8:37 pm

Is Bleeker Bob's the place in St. Mark's?

no - St Marks has Kims and Rocket Science

Bleeker Bobs is on West 3rd
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 8:39 pm

... plus on a good day you get to see Mike Sniper's smiling face.

ian sits in the corner and weeps...
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 8:52 pm

I've always liked Gimmee Gimmee

I remember being in this place. It wasn't bad.
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 8:59 pm

Gimme Gimme was better before the guy knew how much records were worth. I remember scoring Interstellar Space there for like $5 in the mid-90's. Now it's just another stupid overpriced Funk record store for DJ's. (The guy is Jesse from Shrine's brother in law or something.) If you're into such nonsense you should also try Final Vinyl on East 6th Street (I think).
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 9:31 pm

Rocket Science

OK, that's the place. Really tiny.
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 10:00 pm

It used to be Smash CD's (one of the worst stores ever. The bad vibes have not been exorcised.). It's a total nightmare. The guy who sells records in front of the store is always blocking the entrance. Then the people waiting to pay block the way to the records. Then if you can actually get to the records, they're all stacked too tight and on top of each other and on the floor and stuff. Couldn't be more inconvenient or unpleasant. I can't even tell you what the guy has in the store. It's too distracting. Was much better when it was on Carmine Street next to House Of Oldies. (And near my favorite downtown pizza place, Joe's.)
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 10:40 pm

Yeah! Come visit!
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 10:55 pm

Wows!ville on 2nd and St. Marks.

Alberto rules!
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 11:28 pm

Other Music

is pretty much the jam. same as it ever was.

of course I don't know what yr into and if yr on this board it probably isn't what I;m into but figured I pass along some trusted info.

Generation is just plain ok.

kim's if you want to frustrate yourself,
pretty much all of the above if yr into what those kids are into.

etherea on ave A can be fun.
Posted: Jan 11, 2008 5:30 pm

So is there anyplace better than the Academy Annex or the Crypt store?
Posted: Jan 11, 2008 5:42 pm

If you want Crypt style lunacy go to Cool and Crazy. If you want anything else at all go to Academy Annex. It really is sick as fuck all hell and you are gauranteed to find gem after gem.
Posted: Jan 11, 2008 5:44 pm

crypt is one of a kind--as is the proprietor himself. that goes without saying. in fact, WNBC (that's television) made plans to do a broadcast segment on it.

i've gotten some good things in the basement at generation.

there's also Eat Records in greenpoint, owned by Doug Pressman. he knows his shit. PLUS you can get breakfast!
Posted: Jan 11, 2008 5:47 pm

i've gotten some good things in the basement at generation
me too
i still haven't been to academy yet. need to go and harass snipey!
Posted: Jan 11, 2008 5:49 pm

and yeah crypt's cool & crazy rules!
Posted: Jan 11, 2008 5:51 pm

Crypt is usually closed sunday through tuesday, or something.
Posted: Jan 11, 2008 6:15 pm

Yep, Academy is a necessity.

Sound Library used to be on 7th street near the alphabets but I just read that they moved to Orchard St which is rad cuz a good record store with healthy hiphop/groove/electronic makes an even better excuse to kick around on Orchard street. Sound Library.

rocks n yr head was good before it closed or moved or whatever it did.

and believe it or not, J & R Music downtown NYC by the Brooklyn Bridge off ramp has a suprisingly good selection of vinyl and tons of cd's for pretty cheap.

gotta give a shout to EARWAX 'cause it's there.
Posted: Jan 11, 2008 8:29 pm

Huh... so Brooklyn is actually a lot closer than I thought... I was thinking more like 10 miles. (which as many of you know translates to 60 mile in non big cities) So maybe I will make a day of it on Friday 3/7. My only other free time is Monday afternoon & Tuesday a.m. So I\'ll use those days to meander around the village. If anyone is free & wants to join me... hit me up.
Posted: Jan 11, 2008 8:35 pm

Do you have big cans?
Posted: Jan 11, 2008 8:41 pm

so Brooklyn is actually a lot closer than I thought

brooklyn is quite an expansive borough - but if you're talking about williamsburg/greenpoint - its faster to get there than many parts of manhattan.

now, going from park slope brooklyn to williamsburg is a circular set of train rides from hell or $15-20 in a cab...
Posted: Jan 11, 2008 8:51 pm

Several of you specifically mentioned the Academy ANNEX. Sould I take that to mean The other 2 Academy's in or closer to the Park aren't worth much?
I normally keep a wish list. I managed to widdle it down, so I definetely need to revamp it. My tastes are pretty varied & I have no idea what my mood will be that week, so a new list is a must. I'm not a vinyl snob. I actually buy more CDs that LPs. But some of the vintage stuff isn't out on CD, so I do buy both. I tend to buy more older stuff than newer. Not one one of those "only 60's Vintage Garage Punk on Vinyl only" dickheads. Don't get me wrong, It's near the top of my list of musical faves... I just hate when people are Assholes about it. I like some newer stuff, I just don't get introduced to very much of it (that turns out to be good anyway) Embarassingly for me "newer" can mean from the mid nineties. One thing I'm always on the lookout for is some good Vintage Gospel Blues. not necessarily pre-war...more like pre-68.
Posted: Jan 11, 2008 9:00 pm

Not one one of those "only 60's Vintage Garage Punk on Vinyl only" dickheads. Don't get me wrong, It's near the top of my list of musical faves... I just hate when people are Assholes about it.

You mean like Bazooka Joe? Definately check out The Academy Vinyl Store. It's really hopping these days.
Posted: Jan 11, 2008 9:50 pm

The other 2 Academy's

They're both great.

The one on 18th has tons of used cd's from all genres, and has piles of classical vinyl. I've had tons of luck there in both areas.

The one that used to be on 10th St recently moved to 425 East 12th St. Duno if it's changed since it moved, but it has/had a great jazz section and a great Recent Arrivals section.

For sheer quantity, the latest Gonerish wares, etc. get out to Brooklyn.

Not sure where you might find vintage gospel blues in any of this, tho. I'd guess most likely on 18th St
Posted: Jan 11, 2008 10:40 pm

Not one one of those "only 60's Vintage Garage Punk on Vinyl only" dickheads. Don't get me wrong, It's near the top of my list of musical faves... I just hate when people are Assholes about it.

You mean like Bazooka Joe?

hey douche, i want all my music on vinyl only.
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 1:05 am

Do you have big cans?

i fill out a t-shirt... but if you needed to ask, you probably wouldn't think so.
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 1:10 am | Edited by: Miss Strange

hey douche, i want all my music on vinyl only.

you talkin' to me??

Anyway... that blurb was actually more directed to those who pigeonhole themselves to a 4 year span of 1 subcategory of music. And give themselve too much credit for it. The vinyl thing was more of a exclamation point to that comment.
I appreciate the whole vinyl thing... i just live in a tiny apt with a lot of Windows, Doorways & Heating vents. I barely have room for my Cds & the LPs that I do have.
So curious, if something is only out on CD do you not buy it?
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 1:26 am

i was talking to the person at the end of the quote. SHEESH!

and no, i don't buy cd's ever. i could spend that money on a record!
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 1:37 am

i was talking to the person at the end of the quote. SHEESH!

HA! that's what i thought... just wasn't sure.

Funny thing tho... I remember seeing a cdr for sale at Amoeba a while back, that was Bazooka Joe presents (or something like that) Thought it was odd that they were selling a burned CD & I reconized your name from different message boards. This was a couple years ago.
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 1:39 am

wasn't mine. could be one of the techno dicks that jocked my steez! unless somebody booted my go-go mix from years ago, which i heard was availle in nyc in 2001 even though i was never there. still, i doubt it.
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 3:51 pm

I bought the Les Rallizes Denudes 77 Live 2 CD and Ornette Coleman Sound Gallery and I got The Lyres Early Years CD. That's about it for me. I pretty much only buy vinyl now. Although I need to score a copy of The Melvins Bullhead and noticed it's only available on CD. Records rule!

(Blasted lots of vinyl last night like The Alarm Clocks album, The Primitives 45(both sides),Side 1 of My War and some cuts off The Velvet Underground & Nico album (There She Goes Again, Europeon Son).
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 4:03 pm

dude, you rocked last night!
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 4:06 pm

Woah. Never heard (or even seen) that one.

I did a search and found an excerpt of the first side here (which also has some live stuff and a bit of Well-Tuned Piano):

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/newsounds/episodes/2007/08/15
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 4:29 pm

dude, you rocked last night!

Totally.

excerpt of the first side here

Thanks! Heard that before on a VUAS tape of Lamonte I used to have. Speaking of CD's, gotta score that Dream Syndicate-Day Of Niagra one. (Got the Tony Conrad 4 Violins lp before it went outta print.)
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 5:10 pm

unless somebody booted my go-go mix from years ago

this would've been the case.... don't remember what was on but it weren't no techno
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 5:31 pm

awesome! i actually just had a friend send me a cd-r copy (it was a cassette). I'll upload it and post it soon.
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 7:45 pm

BTW- Does any place in NY carry 8-tracks?
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 7:47 pm

I'll upload it and post it soon.

Please don't, Disco Queer.
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 7:19 am

Who is Dtrain in real life?
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 12:07 pm

Who is Dtrain in real life?

memphis mike!
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 9:19 pm

If you're into such nonsense you should also try Final Vinyl on East 6th Street (I think).

Closed earlier this year. Usually overpriced, but I occasionally got cool stuff there like the 1st Boredoms 7".
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 9:22 pm

Who is destrier in real life?
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 4:26 am

My name is Dave...I was hanging out at Passout the other day and saw my friend's band play there last Monday. Are you the guy in the Dwarves shirt?
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 5:32 am

Yup. I see and meet alot of people here so please pardon my manners if I don't exactly remember who you are off hand.

My name is Mike.
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 6:21 am

I don't think we actually talked...I was the mop-headed kid in the denim jacket and black jeans hanging out in the store.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 4:59 pm

Wows!ville on 2nd and St. Marks.

Did they close down?
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 5:51 pm

Wowsville is long gone unfortunatly. The display case lives on at Pass Out however...
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 12:24 pm

i think they are all worth looking in.

i avoided many of them for too long because i knew the prices were to high, or the selection was crappy. it turned out i just didn't know what i was looking at.

subterranean is out of business. closed last week.
bleeker bobs is worth a visit. i found a ken lauber for way below the going rate recently, and some other stuff that had been sitting for years.
bleeker street and generation have a slow turnover, but still worth visiting. it only takes a minute.
other music is fantastic. i actually go there about once a week lately.
gimmie gimmie is one of the best. nice guy in there too. weekly visits from me.
crypt is a singular vision. worth it everytime.
eat records has great records, sandwiches and cookies. i want a cookie.

however,
academy on 12th street (formally 10th) and in williamsburg are the best places to shop bar none. do some digging and you'll find something good at a great price. the annex will have all the latest psych reissues and new releases, if thats your bag. limited pressings all up in there.

the idea of brooklyn being too far to visit from manhattan is the funniest thing i've heard. there are too many people on the upper east side that think that already. honestly, take a stroll through the different sections of brooklyn and realize that it is one of the best things NYC has to offer, for now. soon it'll probably be entirely bullshit winebars, and factory outlet malls.

washington square is totally ruined for the time being too.
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 12:29 pm

subterranean is out of business. closed last week.

That sucks!
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 12:33 pm

subterranean is out of business.

damn. RIP.
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 12:37 pm

Hey Adam, I seen that La Monte record go for over $100 on Egay a couple weeks ago. Generation's been coming up a winner for me a lot lately in the new vinyl department (hid the last copy of Miami in a different section until I could come back and get it last week). I wish Other Music would score more new vinyl. Good store. Too many CD's.
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 1:30 pm

Wowsville is long gone unfortunatly. The display case lives on at Pass Out however...

that's a drag... but I'll be spending Friday 3/7 in Brooklyn. If you're working i'll come bug you.
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 1:33 pm

I'll be here. C'mon by!
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 1:34 pm

There's a show here saturday at 4pm if you'd rather do that. The NYMPHETTES from Canada. They is pretty good.

http://www.myspace.com/thenymphets
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 1:42 pm

I've been guessing that Washington Square is a drag now. but i'm in town for work, with functions scheduled from 8am til midnite most days.

So any free time I get Mon-Thurs will have to be more accessable to Washington/Union Squares. One of my office mates is a total Metalhead so we'll probably check out Generation on Monday or Tuesday, any other stores good if you're into that sorta thing?

so many record shops are closing down everywhere... sux.
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 2:02 pm

There's a show here saturday at 4pm if you'd rather do that. The NYMPHETTES from Canada. They is pretty good.

Wish I could, but I'll be hanging with family near Red Bank NJ for the weekend.
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 2:08 pm

Thats cool, See ya friday!
Posted: Feb 7, 2008 3:35 pm

Generation's been coming up a winner for me a lot lately in the new vinyl department

It can be a bit of a sleeper store for the jazz, too. I've found some good ones there over the years, seemingly priced to move because it's not their thing.
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 12:57 am

I've been guessing that Washington Square is a drag now. but i'm in town for work, with functions scheduled from 8am til midnite most days

oh, no i mean its all torn up. the fountain and main courtyard are non-existant for the moment. its really sad. they are supposedly aligning the fountain with the arch at the northern entrance of the park.

washington square will never be a drag. its a special place. unless NYU turns the whole east side into dorms for incoming freshman. (probably not far off it seems)
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 1:35 am

NYU turns the whole east side into dorms for incoming freshman.

it already seems like it is...

worst casualty: the palladium. it was terrible that it was a disco... but at least there was "music" in there... now its dorms. bums me out
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 11:26 am

I haven't been in NY for very long, but things seem to have changed a bit even since my arrival...specifically in Greenpoint/Williamsburg where all those tall apartment buildings sprang up...it looks very different already.
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 11:48 am

the changes in williamsburg seem pretty fast to me, but if you go away for a few months, they seem even faster.

there was this great old, long, low brick building across the street from pass out that i wanted to buy. it was a car repair garage or something. i had a fantasy restaurant/bar with gallery performance space mapped out for it in my head complete w/ organic herb & small container garden for the roof.... figured it might be worth $2 MM.... i think they got $6 MM for it.

regardless, something ugly is going on there now. on the corner - its gonna block the light for everyone on pass out's side of the street.
Posted: Feb 9, 2008 10:39 pm

worst casualty: the palladium.

Toss up between that and Julian's pool hall. I loved that place.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 1:32 pm

Went to Other Music this morning (one of the owners, Chris let me in before the regular opening time. Nice dude.) and scored that Television Blow Up double album (on vinyl of course). The vinyl selection is definately growing. (Plus they had a bunch of new Norton stuff.) Then on my way uptown to Grand Central I ran into Dana Kristal (Hilly's son). We hugged and he asked me "This isn't gay is it?" Hah!
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 2:01 pm

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®