what?! shit.
suns best talent scout
RIP
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 9:31 pm

SMACK!!!
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 9:32 pm

Bill will be very upset by this...

but this struck me as slightly hilarious
Ike has four known children: sons Ike Jr., Michael, Ronald and daughter Mia.

oh damn.

Bill will be very upset by this...

Andria too!
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 9:33 pm

FUUUUUUUUUUCK!
R.I.P. Ike.... despite his personal issues - he was a goddamn great musician & arranger...
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 9:34 pm

wait. thats a chinese riddle fo ya...how can you die in your sleep on coke?
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 9:34 pm

R.I.P., Ike.
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 9:35 pm

Damn! I guess I know what I'm listening to tonight...
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 9:36 pm

He's slappin' bitches in heaven...
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 9:37 pm

Worst major act at the rockabilly fest a couple years ago, but fer sure best dressed. Fake Tina with mega-cameltoe is sure to be all broken up over this.
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 9:37 pm

he was a goddamn great musician & arranger
mmm hmmm
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 9:44 pm

CNN breaking news headline:
"Ike Turner, the ex-husband of icon Tina Turner, has died."

Yeah...Tina's ex husband...bullshit...WAY MORE THAN THAT.
RIP Ike...and thanks

R.I.P. Mothafucka

I guess I know what I'm listening to tonight

R.I.P.
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 9:45 pm

He wasn't no saint but him in that red spacesuit with the Beatles haircut playing that Strat through the Orange stack with Tina & The Ikettes was some of the nastiest stuff I ever heard. And if Rocket 88 was the first Rock And Roll record then I guess Ike helped invent Rock And Roll too. RIP.
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 9:48 pm

Maybe it was Laurence Fishburne that died.
awaiting update....
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 9:50 pm

goddamn!

we just ike turnered some of loomis' Maker's Mark in respect.

one of the funniest humans i've ever met, devil or not.
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 9:55 pm

I saw him several years ago and he was excellent. Unfortunately he only strapped on the guitar for a couple numbers but it sounded EXACTLY like he did in days of old. Just a strat cranked up through a twin, heavy hand on the whammy bar and everything. A singular signature guitar style that was instantly recognizable. Of course, he also gets credit for playing on/putting together the "first rock n' roll single" Rocket 88.

Tina has produced nothing good since their association ended, increased sales and visibility due to bad movies be damned. Her 80's euro-pop sound has not aged well. Ike never got a fair shake in public opinion or in musical appreciation after the bio-pic, even though other musical icons have done worse. Hey, at least Ike never killed anybody (unlike, say, Leadbelly, who is an American icon now).

Damn.
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 9:57 pm

CNN breaking news headline:

Should read: Ike Turner, inventor of Rock-N-Roll music died.
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 9:58 pm

he also gets credit for playing on/putting together the "first rock n' roll single" Rocket

He WROTE it
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 10:03 pm

RIIIIIP
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 10:17 pm

Does anyone remember a story that was published in Ugly Things (I think?) about Ike showing up at a party in the 90's and getting in a fight with Phil Specter. The both got tossed, and both were wearing capes!
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 10:17 pm

Tonight on WEVL's "In The Basement"... Tribute to IKE TURNER.
Tune into WEVL 89.9FM or listen online at... wevl.org
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 10:24 pm

By the way, he looked the best (sprite, smilin', lively, etc.) of all the oldies when I saw him, so this is a bit of a surprise. Jerry Lee looked like he'd be done by morning. But Ike's show was really, really bad. He ruled back when he ruled, though!
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 10:29 pm

When I met him, he signed a album for a friend of mine and he wrote
"What's love got to do with it?
NOT SHIT"
Ike Turner
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 10:51 pm

But Ike's show was really, really bad

He did play some of that instantly recognizable stinky funky guitar early in the set...I remember him really thrashing it during a Chuck Berry tune...also played Pinetops Boogie Woogie in piano...but yeah, as soon as the faux-Tina came out the whole thing turned into a trainwreck.

Always kinda wished he could have played the Stomp, but they probably couldn't afford him...still, Ira wouldn't have let him get away with his usual lame set! He would have asked him to play a bunch of obscure instrumentals.

RIP Ike and thanks for the rock & roll.
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 10:57 pm

URL
does this guy remind anyone else of ike?
http://www.monkeygumbo.com/wee/news/henryearl/
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 11:07 pm

RIP!!!!!
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 11:09 pm

To pay my respects to Mr. Turner, I'll be beating the ever living shit out of Missfaye when she gets home.
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 11:11 pm

ever living
this made me laugh out loud in the computer lab. some dork working on a lesser paper gave me a dirty look.
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 11:18 pm

Tina's statement
URL
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 11:21 pm

Just rocked the "Box Top" 45 on Cobra, then went a decades and a half up to Ike & Tina's "'Nuff Said" Lp. Man, that guy could get funky! Ike, I hardly knew ye.
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 11:59 pm | Edited by: bazooka joe

Listened to the fist side of Ike & Tina's "Come Together" Lp. Then tossed on that weird one that Pompeii licensed with the dynagroove type wax and Christine's standing there reciting quotes from Ike from his autobiography.

Also, my favorite Ike reference, Steve Pallow at the last Necessary Evils gig in Vegas at the Las Vegas Shakedown weekender:

"Anybody out there like the song Pivate Dancer?"

Guy in the crowd: "Yeah!"

Steve:

"I don't, but I like the guy that slapped the bitch that sang it!"

Me to his wife at the bar:

"Did You hear what Steve said about Tina Turner?"

Then I quoted him.

Her:

He said WHAT???"

Ike Turner RULES!!!
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 12:21 am

Ike's wife beating activities must be overlooked because it was part of his "cultural upbringing".
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 12:29 am

Tina's statement

Tina would still be Anna Mae Bullock
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 12:35 am

Hey, at least Ike never killed anybody

I think spousal abuse is looked upon as being worse than murder in our society. So you kill a guy---Sometimes you can't help it.

It is amazing how his music has been forgotten for the tabloid persona of "What's Love got to Do With It?" Jerry Lee's crimes and mishaps have been nearly forgotten by now.
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 12:42 am

but yeah, as soon as the faux-Tina came out the whole thing turned into a trainwreck.

respectfully disagree with you and trickknee. i thought he was great and considerably better than 90% of the other acts that appeared. his singing was bad and 20 minutes of tequila i couldve lived without, but for me when fake tina came out it all came together. bitches like that a dime a dozen apparently.

RIP ike. he didnt beat his wife anymore than anyone else does.
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 12:42 am | Edited by: Buck Wilders

What a life! I been doing some research for the radio show tonight and found out he's not even sure what his real name is. He thought he was "Izear Luster Turner Jr." after his father. Later on while applying for a passport he found out his name was "Ike Wister Turner." At that time both his parents were dead and he couldn't conferm his own name. Damn!
Tune in tonight for the ultimate 2 hour tribute. Early Kings of Rhythm and folks they backed at Sun...Billy Emerson, Raymond Hill, Bonnie Turner(his girlfriend time), Howlin' Wolf, Ike & Tina Revue, & the Family Vibes.
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 12:43 am

link?
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 12:43 am

Play "Box Top" you dick!
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 12:55 am

IN THE BASEMENT
http://www.myspace.com/inthebasementwevl

WEVL
http://wevl.org/

Play "Box Top" you dick!

Unfortunatley I've only got 2 Cobra sides and that ain't one of them.
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 12:56 am

time?
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 12:57 am

10:00pm-12:00am Soulsville Time
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 12:58 am

thanks, brotha.
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 1:15 am

Damn! I guess I know what I'm listening to tonight...

IKE TURNER ROCKS THE BLUES on Crown.

And when I get tired of trying to stop the needle from skating across the label or flipping it over and over, I guess I'll dig out the Japanese double CD that copped the title and cover and adds a whole bunch of prime sides...uh, and throw on that "Nah Nah" 45 for comic relief...hmmm, may be able to put together a tribute set for tomorrow night. All IKE, no Tina.

RIP
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 3:11 am | Edited by: dustymedical

Just got done taping our show (airs friday 3-6am cst and is archived):

first and last half-hour = all Ike + 1 otis (died this week 40yrs ago)

Ike Turner - Right On (Blues Roots, UA)
Ike & Tina Turner - Contact High (45, Liberty)
Ike & Tina Turner - Gonna Work Out Fine (45, Sue)
Ike & Tina Turner - You Can't Blame Me (45, Sue)
Ike & Tina Turner - A Fool In Love (45, Sue)
Ike & Tina Turner - Poor Fool (45, Sue)
The Ikettes - I'm Blue (45, Atco)
Ike & Tina Turner - Won't You Forgive Me (45, Sue)
Ike Turner - If You Love Me Like You Say (Blues Roots, UA)
Ike & Tina Turner - Worried & Hurtin' Inside (45, Sue)

Ike & Tina - So Blue Over You (Get It Together, Pompeii)
Ike Turner & The Kings Of Rhythm - Funky Mule (A Black Man's Soul, Pompeii)
Ike & Tina Turner - Mojo Queen (The Greatest Hits of, Sue)
Ike & Tina Turner - Oh Baby! (River Deep-Mountain High, A&M)
Jackie Brenston - Rocket 88 (VA: The Sun Story, Rhino)
Ike & Tina Turner - I've Been Loving You Too Long (Live At Carnegie Hall, UA)
Otis Redding - The Dock Of The Bay (The Dock Of The Bay, Volt)

http://dosmutantes.blogspot.com
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 3:48 am | Edited by: bazooka joe

IKE TURNER ROCKS THE BLUES on Crown.

Wish I had that. I only heard it once, and what a killer!

All IKE, no Tina.

Then you're only telling a small part of his story!

+ 1 otis (died this week 40yrs ago)

The only choice if you have to choose one. He died just after it was recorded, right before it was released. I love you, Otis!
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 4:13 am

a friend of mine (recording dork at the place the saddle creek bands use - so i believe that he heard the story, whether its true....) posted this story on our local board today in ike's honor. Copied and pasted from there:

----------------------------

Okay, best Ike Turner story I have ever heard.

It's the mid 70's and Ike was looking for a new, custom designed mixing console for his home studio. He called up a place in Los Angeles that had made maybe 10 or 15 really good, really pristine boards and asked them to stop by his house.

They show up and he explains what he wants. The engineers are some of the best around, most coming from other console manufacturing facilities like Neve and Altec. They take down his specifications and head back to the shop. The owner of the company puts all other projects on hold and puts everyone onto this board. He wants it to be the best console ever made. He also figures that if he makes a sweet custom board for Ike, than other people would want to special order boards for themselves as well.

So, many months go by and the board, after about 10 months, is finally done. They deliver it and set it up in Ike's living room. It is complete with the following; 48 channels of the best sounding eq section this side of API-ville. 48 insanely quiet pre's, a spring loaded three foot long by one foot wide mirror that pops out from the front of the console with a button push. a telephone that utilized the "black box" tones to allow for free calling from the phone (several of the engineers had previously worked for Ma Bell), a lever controlled "lazy susan" located directly under the center mix position that would turn to reveal a handgun facing in to the board so you could pull the lever, spin around and shoot someone who was attacking, and a built in home surveillance system complete with monitors and remote locks, and an early VCR/dubbing box that would record things that went on either on the surveillance system or on tv.

Ike, of course, wanted to have a party to celebrate the triumphant completion of this project. So, he invited every single member of the company (eight people) to his house to have a coked up good time. He also made sure there were plenty of women there to satisfy the needs of those who came.

So the party began and ike began paying the women to just fuck the dudes wherever. The pool, the couch, on the board...wherever. Ike, meanwhile, was recording all of this.

A few weeks passed and the CEO of the company has been wondering why Ike wasn't responding to his phone calls and not paying anything on the invoice. He gets a package in the mail from Ike. It's the surveillance tape that shows him having cocaine-fueled orgy sex with several whores at the Ike celebration party. A note included explains that Ike will not pay for board. If he receives another invoice, he will immediately send a copy of this tape to the wife of the owner, plus all the other employees who were at the party.

The company shuts down.

Meanwhile, AT&T starts to wonder why Ike no longer has a phone. In those days, stealing phone lines was a big deal and Ike usually had a tremendous phone bill. They discovered by calling him that Ike's phone number still worked, just that his phone line didn't register any ingoing or outgoing phone calls. In those days, phone fraud was a crime that was in violation of the Interstate Commerce Clause, making it a federal offense with a guilty verdict possibly meaning several years of prison time. They staked out the house and waited for Ike to leave. They sent some kid to the door who claimed his tire blew out and he needed to use the phone, one of his house servants brought him to the board. The rat used the phone to call the AT&T office, then snapped a picture of the board and ran.

Ike returned home a few days later and found out from the servant that someone had come over, used the phone, and taken a picture. Ike hit the redial button and found it called the AT&T office. He ran to the garage, picks up several gallons of gasoline, and torches the board...just as the FBI and AT&T investigators pull up.

Board...gone...company...gone...living room...gone...

Moral of the story?

Ike turner was a badass.
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 5:50 am

Ike was major major major.

Show me a musician who doesn't have some troubling emotional issues lurking in the dark - that doesn't excuse anything on him as a person but if we judged musicians as humanitarians there would be few standing.

It was his 'voice' as a musician, his guitar playing an ice cold laser-beam, his production and ear one of the darkest and rawest. Rock and roll would be a few degrees more bubble-gum bullshit with out his influence.

I'm sad he's gone.
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 6:39 am

good show bucxk!
lisened for almost an hour
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 6:49 am

great stories too
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 7:32 am

I saw Ike Turner at Tipitina's in Early 2002....I had two tickets and I asked this girl in one of my grad classes to go....she said no because she didn't feel comfortable "supporting him" and suggested that we go see a movie instead......that was the first AND last time I asked her out.....

btw, it was one of the best shows I saw in my life....
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 8:17 am

Too bad... RIP. What can you say? For as cruel as the guy could be, talent was just awesome.

Is it just me or does it seem like our legends have been dropping like flies over the past few years?
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 8:32 am

do flies live for 75+ years?
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 8:48 am

Bummer.

RIP.
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 9:50 am

just asked Buddah
"boss, give Ike a break!"
added "Nam Yo Ho Reng Gay Keyo"
4000 times
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 10:24 am

For as cruel as the guy could be, talent was just awesome.

That about nails it, as the Centurion said to the carpenter...
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 11:22 am

jim goad wrote a geat essay "ike turner: i feel your pain" couple years ago. ike played the sanitized blues fest on the river. yeah, ike was killer. may he rest in peace
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 2:54 pm | Edited by: The Driver

[i]Then you're only telling a small part of his story! [/]

True. It's a big story that's only gonna get bigger with time.
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 3:10 pm

I worked for Ike Turner (well, for the label Ike recorded his penultimate album for) for about a year and a half. total geniusness/chaos/hilarity during that period, from Ike explaining that he wore a Kotex when he took his weight-loss medicine (to protect his BVDs from the runs, natch), to him hollering, "An-DRIA, get me to the dry cleaners!" one afternoon at Cozy Corner, after a fan had rubbed her bbq-covered hands all over his nether regions, under the table.

one night, we were unceremoniously tossed from Chez Phillipe (with Joe Bihari, no less), and it made the morning paper.

another evening, I cajoled Eric O into going out with us. it was a bizarre sextet: Ike and his then-gal pal Audrey, Joe and his daughter, Eric and me. we crashed a band's set at the ballpark (Ike and Audrey climbed on the bandstand to do a version of "Nutbush City Limits" and then Ike promptly hired the drummer to play on his record) AND a wedding at the Peabody.

Other memories: Ike sauntering into a club on Beale where a lame white rock band was playing "Black Hole Sun" -- Ike threw his head back magnamously and announced "I loooove the rock and roll;" Ike manhandling Charlie Musselwhite from the back seat of my car; Ike getting slapped by some random white chick "for Tina;" Ike having dinner with my mother, who eventually joined the "I still like Ike fan club"; and Ike advising me, when I lost my job, that "Karma is some shit your mama and daddy taught you. If some motherfucker fucks me over, I fuck 'em back over the same day."

oh, and when I worked for the label, I brought up the concept of a Hanes' wifebeaters tour, starring Ike and Rick James, and Ike LOVED it.

the last time we talked was a few months ago. Ike had just gotten out of jail, and he told me not to worry, because he had Johnny Cochran's people suing the shit out of the cops for the false arrest. at the time, he was at Danger Mouse's studio, cutting an album with the Black Keys.

R.I.P., my brother. You are already missed. See you on the other side.
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 3:16 pm

and yes, I think he was the greatest musician who ever lived.
absolutely brilliant player, producer, and A&R man.
watching him work with Poppa Willie Mitchell day-in and day-out was incredible.
his character outshined his physical body.
when in Memphis at least, Ike loved being Ike!
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 3:52 pm

See you on the other side.

Hopefully not for a looooong time, Andria!
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 3:54 pm

oh, and when I worked for the label, I brought up the concept of a Hanes' wifebeaters tour, starring Ike and Rick James, and Ike LOVED it.
great one, i'll forever kick myself for not going out with y'all when i had the chance, i think it was the chez phillipe night
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 3:56 pm

Andria, you forgot one detail...

Ike, walking down the crowded street, nodding and pointing to himself and explaining to the not-sure gawkers:

YEP, IT'S ME! IKE TURNER!

when in Memphis at least, Ike loved being Ike! COMPLETELY!
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 3:57 pm

got to hear some of Buck's show and it was CRUCIAL stuff!
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 4:05 pm

but this struck me as slightly hilarious...

Using that choice of words in a thread about Ike Turner is more than just slightly hilarious.
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 4:08 pm

i'll forever kick myself for not going out with y'all when i had the chance
that was the weird part -- whenever Ike was in town, I had to BEG guys to accompany me! I thought ya'll would be chomping at the bit! even Eric passed on a second dinner with Ike...

Ike, walking down the crowded street, nodding and pointing to himself and explaining to the not-sure gawkers: YEP, IT'S ME! IKE TURNER!
two best moments ever -- Ike pulling the rented Town Car next to a mail lady in one of those open jeeps, and saying "Rolling.." in that deep voice. she almost drove off the road! AND walking down 2nd Street when a firetruck was going by. the engine screeched to a halt and all the firemen jumped off and asked for autographs! their siren wasn't going off at the time, but still, it was pretty funny! oh, and the lady who came up to us in the Peabody lobby and said, "I am so sick of niggas trying to look like Ike Turner." Ike said, "Ma'am, I've been looking like him all my life. Rollin'..."

just checked my phone messages from yesterday. thanks to all 11 people who called with condolences...
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 4:10 pm

Posted: Dec 13, 2007 4:16 pm

i have a song somewhere by a pseudonym he recorded under: icky renrut...think it's on the wild and frantic black shouters comp

he played on several of howlin wolf's earliest sessions. piano on 'moanin at midnight'!

i would love to see a list of all the session work he did in the 50s, can't find one though
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 4:18 pm

THAT is a headline!

what's the "drunkard's blues" kinda song where the main singer goes down to hell and Ike Turner is the devil? Bomar has the 78...
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 4:18 pm

yeah, he would giggle like a maniac whenever we called him Eki Renrut... couldn't believe anyone remembered that shit.

did you know that Ike Turner invented the jet ski and the strobe light?

god, I miss him, and not one of these stories I've posted has an ounce of exaggeration...
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 4:26 pm

thanks for sharing those stories, Andria.
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 4:27 pm

that was the weird part -- whenever Ike was in town, I had to BEG guys to accompany me! I thought ya'll would be chomping at the bit! even Eric passed on a second dinner with Ike...
i was chomping but something came up, it must have been really important because i have absolutely no idea what it was
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 4:43 pm

what about the Eki Renrut answering machine tape that someone who posts on here mighta sold on ebay!

EKI! EKI RENRUT! ANSWER THE PHONE! I KNOW YOU'RE THERE IKE!
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 5:52 pm

thanks for the memories

they broke the mold with that guy, eh?
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 6:41 pm

i knew some of you memphis people kicked it with ike. thanks for the stories!
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 7:06 pm

At least 13 people have downloaded "Rocket 88" from my soulseek, since last night.
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 7:48 pm | Edited by: The Driver

Andria - you told me some of them stories back when I was first introduced to ya. The sheer joy with which you repeated them was equal to the tales told. Thank-you for sharing again. Hope you're well
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 8:59 pm

Sinner's Dream by Eugene Fox, also known as the Sly Fox. The 78 is on Chess. There's a less apocalyptic but still insane version (he dreams he's being boiled in oil by the ex-husband of the woman he's screwing around with (recently deceased, convenient since they were planning on murdering him)). That one is called Fox's Dream. Still got Ike guitar. I believe there is one more version but can't remember details.

All Ike, all night - on the Replacement Party. 9 - 11 PM est.

http://www.myspace.com/replacementparty_wpvm
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 9:09 pm

you know, i don't really hope he rests in peace. i hope he gets systematically beaten for no good reason
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 9:10 pm

Here's my setlist for the show last night. The names are the vocalists. The Kings Of Rhythm are the band on all tracks.

1. Jackie Brenston - Rocket 88
2. Icky Renrut - Hey, Hey
3. Kings Of Rhythm - I'm Gonna Forget About You
4. Billy Gayles - Sad As A Man Can Be
5. Jackie Brenston - Gonna Wait For My Chance
6. Icky Renrut - Prancin'
7. Billy Emerson - Hey Little Girl
8. Jackie Brenston - What Can It Be
9. Bobby Foster - I Do Love You
10. Clayton Love - She Made My Blood Run Cold
11. Johnny O'Neal - Ugly Woman
12. Bobby Foster - Your The Only One
13. Billy Gayles - I'm Tore Up
14. Bonnie Turner - Love Is A Gamble
15. Johnny Wright - Look At That Chick
16. Billy Gayles - Take Your Fine Frame Home
17. Billy Emerson - The Woodchuck
18. The Sly Fox - I'm Tired Of Beggin'
19. Bobby Foster - I Woke Up One Morning
20. Clayton Love - Do You Mean It
21. Kings Of Rhythm - Get It Over Baby
22. Kings Of Rhythm - Twist-A-Roo
23. Kings Of Rhythm - I'm Lonesome Baby
24. Kings Of Rhythm - Potato Mash
25. Kings Of Rhythm - All The Blues All The Time (Medley)
26. Ike & Tina - Worried And Hurtin' Inside
27. Ike & Tina - I'm Thru With Love
28. Ike & Tina - You Can't Blame Me
29. Ike & Tina - I Idolize You
30. Ike & Tina - Poor Fool
31. Ike & Tina - Betcha Can't Kiss Me (Just One Time)
32. Ikettes - So Blue Over You
33. Ike & Tina - So Fine
34. Kings Of Rhythm - Getting Nasty
35. Ike & Tina - Sho Ain't Me
36. Ike & Tina - Please Don't Hurt Me

I was halfway through Rocket 88 when I got my first phone call of the evening. It was from a lady who was VERY unhappy about the program. I explained to her that I was there to play his music, not support his lifestyle. I told her to look at it as a celebration of his death if she wanted. She liked that and said she would continue to listen. I have never gotten so many phone calls on a show. I was worried after the first call but luckily the rest of the calls were all positive. The best part of the whole show was playing the Spousal Abuse PSA! R.Ike.P.
Posted: Dec 14, 2007 1:26 pm

So, all this dislike for Ike about beating up on Tina...y'all must be REALLY mad at draft-dodger-in-chief George W. Bush (Republican) for lying the United States into the Reagan/Bush war for Iraq and being responsible for the deaths of thousands of working class Americans.

Ol' Ike is on Terri Gross today at 3 on Mississippi public radio, at 11 am on WKNO, I think...
Posted: Dec 14, 2007 2:38 pm

More Ike Turner radio tribute setlist goodness . . . from last night's Replacement Party.

Twistaroo

1. Jackie Breston and His Delta Cats - Rocket 88
2. Jackie Breston - Much Later
3. Billy Gayles - Sad As a Man Can Be
4. Icky Renrut - Hey Hey
5. Ike Turner and the Kings of Rhythm - The Rooster
6. Ike and Tina Turner - I Can't Believe What You Say

Prancin

1. Howlin' Wolf - Look a Here Baby
2. Otis Rush - Double Trouble
3. Elmore James - Sho Nuff I Do
4. Johnny O'Neal - Dead Letter Blues

Nuttin' Up

1. Billy "The Kid" Emerson - Red Hot
2. Ike Turner - Gonna Forget About You
3. Billy Emerson - Woodchuck
4. Bonnie Turner - Way Down in the Congo

New Breed Part 2

1. Ike Turner - Get It Over, Baby
2. Billy Gayles - Just One More Time
3. Ike, Carlson and Little Ann - Box Top
4. Billy Gayles - No Coming Back

Gulley

1. Ike and Tina - Goodbye So Long
2. Ike and Tina - We Need a Little Understanding
3. Ike and Tina - Finger Poppin'
4. Ike and Tina - Too Much Woman for a Henpecked Man
5. Ike and Tina - Make 'Em Wait
6. Icky Renrut - Jack Rabbit

Funky Mule

1. Ikettes - Your Love Is Mine
2. Ike and Tina - Bold Soul Sister
3. Nate Turner and the Mirettes - Sweet Soul Sister
4. Ike and Tina - Bet You Can't Kiss Me Just One Time
5. Ike and Tina - Ooo Poo Pa Doo

Cuban Getaway

1. Ike and Tina - I've Been Loving You Too Long
2. Ike and Tina - I Smell Trouble

Thinking Black

1. Ike Turner - Father Alone
2. Ike Turner - Don't Hold Your Breath
3. Eugene Fox - Sinner's Dream

Square Dance
Posted: Dec 14, 2007 2:40 pm

leave it to the ny post to have the best headline

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12132007/news/nationalnews/ike_beats_tina_ to_death_79527.htm

IKE 'BEATS' TINA TO DEATH
Reuters

December 13, 2007 -- LOS ANGELES - Rock 'n' roll pioneer Ike Turner, who rose to fame in the 1950s and became a star performing with his ex-wife, Tina Turner, has died at age 76, said an official with the performer's management company.
"Ike Turner passed away this morning. He was at his home," in San Marcos, Calif., in the suburbs of San Diego, said Scott Hanover, of Thrill Entertainment.

Hanover could not provide any information about the cause of death.

Turner helped pioneer rock 'n' roll in 1951, when his band, The Kings of Rhythm, recorded the song "Rocket 88," a tune widely regarded as the first record in the genre's earliest days.

As a guitarist and pianist, Turner played with the likes of B.B. King, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters and Willie Dixon in the 1950s.

He married Annie Mae Bullock in 1958. She subsequently changed her name to Tina, and they enjoyed such hits as "River Deep, Mountain High," "Proud Mary" and "Nutbush City Limits."

The pair won a Grammy in 1972 for "Proud Mary," and earlier this year Ike Turner was awarded again with the record industry's top honor for his traditional blues album, "Risin' with the Blues."

After his and Tina Turner's 1976 divorce, Ike Turner was crippled by a cocaine addiction and was widely vilified in the mid-'80s as Tina Turner mounted a huge comeback and said she had suffered abuse and humiliation at his hand.
Posted: Dec 14, 2007 3:17 pm

i crucially posted it above, dude.
Posted: Dec 14, 2007 3:48 pm

when in Memphis
I got to get your autograph honey
Posted: Dec 14, 2007 7:00 pm

letterman

JAMES BROWN'S TOP TEN PRISON COMPLAINTS

10. Only two hair dryers for over 3,000 men
9. Guards keep calling me "Little Richard"
8. Always getting leg caught in bars when doing the splits
7. Five packs of cigarettes for one bottle of Lustre-Silk
6. Prison library scandalously short of Jane Austin novels
5. Escape tunnel to narrow to shimmy in
4. Irritating snoring of Ike Turner
3. Death row guys always win talent shows because of sympathy vote
2. Can't believe I'm in here and John Denver walks around free
1. Just hate being soul brother #175683
Posted: Dec 14, 2007 7:10 pm

y'all must be REALLY mad at draft-dodger-in-chief George W. Bush (Republican) for lying the United States into the Reagan/Bush war for Iraq and being responsible for the deaths of thousands of working class Americans.

actually im not so sure its a bad idea to establish more permanent bases in that region and safeguard our supply of oil. also, bush served and was honorably discharged, lieutenant bush just taught himself how to fly a fighter jet i suppose. clinton was the real draft dodger in chief.
Posted: Dec 14, 2007 7:13 pm

thanks Socks!

that song blew my little mind. gotta git it.

if ike had never lived... musical world would be MUCH different. TRUE!
Posted: Dec 14, 2007 7:30 pm

safeguard our supply of oil.

WTF makes you think this is "ours"?

Therein lies the problem as to why our best and brightest are getting slaughtered over there...
hookorcrook
Posted: Dec 14, 2007 7:33 pm | Edited by: hookorcrook

i have posted on here at least twice before about how ike lived in the town next to the one i grew up in (san marcos, where he died) and how everybody had an ike story..my sister was his favorite waitress at IHOP and he used to come into the record store i worked at. I first met him at an airport which is a funny story that i think i have put on here at least twice (around the same time he turned down larry hardy's offer to do a record with him and andre williams because he said it would "ruin his reputation" HAHAHA). anyway, i was happy that the obits i read werent as bad as i would have expected. his book, "takin back my name' should be read by anybody who feels they have the right to criticize him.
Posted: Dec 14, 2007 7:33 pm

our best and brightest

...don't join the military.
Posted: Dec 14, 2007 7:35 pm

...don't join the military.

Bullshit
Posted: Dec 14, 2007 7:42 pm

Joseph Jirovec, 19 - the son of a city firefighter who is currently serving in Iraq - has pleaded guilty to a 2005 bias crime against blacks.

"We are not racist against Jewish people. That whole hate-crime thing is ridiculous," the Brooklyn man said.

He claims Adler's group was drunk and taunted his group, and one yelled, "We killed Jesus."

Jirovec will soon begin serving six months for his role in the attack against four men in Gerritsen Beach.

"I'm trying to stay out of trouble," he said. "When I get out, I want to go into the military."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12122007/news/regionalnews/jews_subway_her o_a_muslim_381263.htm
Posted: Dec 14, 2007 7:50 pm

Oh...well then you're right....everyone in the military are dumb fucks and racists.

Qualifies as one of the dumbest fuckin' things I've ever read here.
Posted: Dec 14, 2007 8:02 pm

ah an idealist, how refreshing!
Posted: Dec 14, 2007 8:04 pm

everyone in the military are dumb fucks and racists

just dumb fucks. the racists bit hasn't been proven...
Posted: Dec 14, 2007 8:07 pm

who wants to die?
sign your life away.
Posted: Dec 14, 2007 8:10 pm

War has caused unrest in the younger generation
Induction then destruction-
Who wants to die?
Posted: Dec 14, 2007 8:18 pm

Maybe I should join the military, huh? heehee
Posted: Dec 14, 2007 8:27 pm | Edited by: satchmykels

"You know education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework, and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq."

Don't look at me, I didn't vote for the guy.
Posted: Dec 16, 2007 11:05 pm

"Ike Turner, the ex-husband of icon Tina Turner."

Assholes. They couldn't just remember him as a rock and roll, R&B, and soul pioneer. Most people credit his bands recorded "Rocket 88" as the first recorded rock song.

Being married to and occasionally slapping Tina Turner was the side note to his amazing life and career. RIP.
Posted: Dec 17, 2007 3:11 am

You obviously missed it when someone wrote that the Marked Men sounded like the Get Up Kids.
Posted: Dec 17, 2007 3:34 am

i know, they sound more like air supply.
Posted: Dec 17, 2007 8:06 pm

nice write up in Slate by Donald Fagen (Steely Dan dude): http://www.slate.com/id/2180162
Posted: Dec 24, 2007 2:34 pm

ike finally beat tina to death...
Posted: Dec 24, 2007 5:50 pm

you, uh, just think of that one?
Posted: Dec 24, 2007 6:08 pm

naw, a friend just told me that one. thought it was a knee slapper. what, you've never recycled before?
Posted: Dec 26, 2007 5:28 pm

I like Phil Spector's take, at the memorial in lovely Gardena, CA:

Spector, who produced Turner's song "River Deep, Mountain High," said, "There was only one Ike, and I learned more from Ike than any professors I know."

He went on to say that Turner was "demonized and vilified" by his ex-wife, Tina Turner. He called the 1993 film "What's Love Got To Do With It," based on her autobiography, a "piece of trash movie," inspiring applause from some mourners.

"Ike made Tina the jewel she was," said Spector, who stood trial for murder earlier this year for the shooting death of actress Lana Clarkson. A judge declared a mistrial in September after jurors failed to reach a verdict.

Spector also accused Oprah Winfrey and Whoopi Goldberg of "demonizing" Turner on their talk shows.

Of Turner's 17 months in jail for a drug conviction in 1989, Spector said, "He was sent to prison for no other reason than he was a black man in America."

Each speech was punctuated with performances by Turner's band, the crowd rising to its feet again and again to sing and dance along.

Tina's song should have been: "What's Ike got to do with it" and the answer is "plenty"
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®