Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / The Wire.....
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 7:16 pm

Just bought Season 4 from work......Amazon has some awesome prequels on the page you buys season 4 ....awesome.....
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 7:30 pm

i love omar
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 8:11 pm

i have two more episodes of season 4 to finish.
i think it's the weakest season so far, but it's definitely still great, and is better than 99.99% of anything else currently being made for tv/cable.
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 10:08 pm

Season 4 is the BEST season so far.
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 10:24 pm

Omar showed up on some other show I was watching recently and I was like a little kid, pointing at the screen and screeching.

I agree, Season 4 brought so much together; great season.
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 10:26 pm

Omar showed up on some other show I was watching recently

law and order, it repeated last night, i think it was suv
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 10:35 pm

Season 4 is the BEST season so far.

no way.
the stringer bell/avon barksdale 1st and 3rd were the best.
way too much time spent on the corner kids and the school bullshit in the 4th season.
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 10:39 pm

Omar showed up in Trapped in Closet, alongside Will Oldham. That sorta blew my mind.
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 11:00 pm

Season 4 is the BEST season so far

agreed
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 11:22 pm

no way.
the stringer bell/avon barksdale 1st and 3rd were the best.
way too much time spent on the corner kids and the school bullshit in the 4th season.

This isn't just a shoot'em up cop show with badass villains. It attempts to portray the life of criminals and law enforcement on a completely objective level. Part of what made season 4 great was the hopeless nature of it all. Prez, who had long just been a crappy cop who treated criminals with no sense of humanity, finally realized where these people were coming from. The terrible schools, the screwed up parents. His attempts to help these kids are just met with bureaucratic bullshit.
If you don't like season 4 I really think you are missing the entire point of the show.
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 12:51 am

the corner kids and the school bullshit

Wow. You are missing the point if you weren't touched by this part of the show and how it connects to the bell/barksdale gangsta party. Maybe you'll reevaluate at some point. While I have never thought a season was anything but great, season 4 brought so many thematic levels together in a way I have never seen before in a TV show and I doubt I will ever see it again. The only annoying thing to me (which I said before) was the male social worker character who was a total caricature.
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 1:40 am

This isn't just a shoot'em up cop show with badass villains. It attempts to portray the life of criminals and law enforcement on a completely objective level. Part of what made season 4 great was the hopeless nature of it all. Prez, who had long just been a crappy cop who treated criminals with no sense of humanity, finally realized where these people were coming from. The terrible schools, the screwed up parents. His attempts to help these kids are just met with bureaucratic bullshit.
If you don't like season 4 I really think you are missing the entire point of the show.

i never said i didn't like season 4, i think it's great.
i just think it's the weakest so far.
and thanks for clearing that all up for me that it's not just just a shoot em up cop show, i would never have realised that.

Wow. You are missing the point if you weren't touched by this part of the show and how it connects to the bell/barksdale gangsta party. Maybe you'll reevaluate at some point. While I have never thought a season was anything but great, season 4 brought so many thematic levels together in a way I have never seen before in a TV show and I doubt I will ever see it again. The only annoying thing to me (which I said before) was the male social worker character who was a total caricature.

i ain't missing any point.
yeah, i get the whole connection, thanks saispas for pointing that out.
shit, they are making that connection too obvious ferchrissakes, beating you over the head with it.
i think the show has been more intelligent than that in previous episodes.
yeah, those kids are hard, they tell the teachers to fuck off, dookie stinks, and they all have fucked up lives, I GET IT.
taking the "hard" kids out of class to "study" them?

i watched the first three seasons, and loved all of it.
i still think it's one of the best things i've seen on tv, so take it easy guys, i wasn't dumping on the whole thing.
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 2:02 am | Edited by: saispas

taking the "hard" kids out of class to "study" them?

Like I said, this part was a stretch, but guess what? They actually do shit like that, all the time.

And quit buggin Tim--just having a conversation, right?
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 2:13 am

not buggin'.
i know studies like that have been done.
i just think it was overkill, and a little boring.
no problem with conversatin', just don't assume i don't get it because i think they have done better.
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 2:30 am

I agree that part was most definitely overkill, but the rest was some of the best shit they have done.
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 8:10 am

all y'all need to shut the fuck up before I stop watching the show just cause I don't want to think I'm in the same crowd as a bunch of screeching hysterics
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 2:55 pm

And since nobody's mentioned season two yet, I gotta say that after getting over the shock of how different it was from the first season, I think I enjoyed it the most.
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 3:10 pm

And since nobody's mentioned season two yet, I gotta say that after getting over the shock of how different it was from the first season, I think I enjoyed it the most.

I just re-watched season 2 and enjoyed it much more than when it first aired. A big part of that was being over the shock of how different it was, and also seeing it in the context of the subsequent seasons.
Posted: Dec 15, 2007 6:06 am

I'm 3 episodes into the 4th season. so far it's by far the funniest. not blatantly ha-ha funny but lots of humorous situations and seems more self-aware than before. omar & the honey nut cherios thing was awesome.

I thought season 2 was crappy because not enough ghetto violence, plus I wanted to kill that Ziggy douche, but so far season 4 is delivering on the goods without Stringer Bell & Barksdale being part of it.
Posted: Dec 15, 2007 7:00 am

I've also been watching a lot of Homocide lately, which is amazing and interelated with the Wire on many levels....
Posted: Dec 15, 2007 9:26 am

When I was younger I could always excuse my lack of activity on a given friday night to the fact that I wanted to see homicide, not that I didn't have any friends. Oh wait I still have no friends.
Posted: Jan 1, 2008 7:30 pm

The first two episodes are available on torrent right now.
Posted: Jan 1, 2008 8:40 pm

I'm not downloading with torrents anymore so I searched for rapidshare links- I found the first two and the fithth episode in a Hip Hop Forum but some asshole posted spoilers WITH STILLS FROM THE SCENES!!!!
Posted: Jan 1, 2008 9:35 pm

Lyndsey just borrowed Seasons 2 & 3 from a friend, but couldn't watch them until we got Season 1 from the library.

For the way people rave about this show, Season 1 left us scratching our heads.
Posted: Jan 2, 2008 12:18 am

It takes a while to get used to The Wire if you are expecting every other crime or cop show that's come before. It doesn't try to round off the edges on the cops and it doesn't apologize for making the drug dealers and their minions fully realized characters. There are no hookers with a heart of gold and Huggy Bear and Rooster don't live in Baltimore. What I find amazing is how many of the issues that surface are issues going on right now in Memphis, sometimes with the real folks here in those positions of authority saying exactly the same things... oops getting a bit ahead for those of you on Season One.
Posted: Jan 2, 2008 3:16 am

we've got about 3 episodes to go in the 4th season. it's getting too heavy for me to watch more than one episode a day.
Posted: Jan 2, 2008 2:50 pm

it's getting too heavy for me to watch more than one episode a day.

Totally. Have you ever watched "The Corner" miniseries (based on a great book) that they did prior to The Wire? JEEEEEEEEESUS. I saw the world through The Corner for about two weeks--depression central.
Posted: Jan 2, 2008 3:37 pm

want to see it... read the book. amazing book.
Posted: Jan 2, 2008 4:49 pm

I downloaded Episode 1 of Season 5 and watched half of it. It is fucking awesome. Get stoked.
Posted: Jan 2, 2008 9:31 pm

It is on HBO OnDemad already, too. Just realized that yesterday but haven't watched it yet.
Posted: Jan 2, 2008 10:09 pm

Have you ever watched "The Corner" miniseries (based on a great book) that they did prior to The Wire? JEEEEEEEEESUS. I saw the world through The Corner for about two weeks--depression central.

Yeah...the corner was heavy...but fucking great....can't wait for this next season of the Wire...I'll be checkin some on demand tonight!
Posted: Jan 2, 2008 10:16 pm

IT IS INDEED ON DEMAND!!!!

YES!
Posted: Jan 2, 2008 11:20 pm

IT IS INDEED ON DEMAND!!!!

YES!

You bastards. No on demand at my house. I guess I'll have to avoid this thread like the plague this season to avoid spoilers.
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 12:13 am

For the way people rave about this show, Season 1 left us scratching our heads.

I was the EXACT same way, but the other seasons are absolute GOLD. I'm impatiently waiting for S5 episode 1 to finish downloading.
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 2:18 am

seen the 1st two episodes of season 5. 1 was damn good, but 2 was even better.
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 2:29 am

I was the EXACT same way, but the other seasons are absolute GOLD.
They're all good, quitcher bellyachin'...
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 2:14 pm

I think they are all gold also...SPOILER beneath...

From episode 1, does anyone else sense a more conventional The Wire? As in Homicide: Life on the Street conventional or the Michael Moriarty Law & Order conventional, but conventional nonetheless. Maybe it was just a really well-written and well-directed episode, but it was immediately crystalline.
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 8:13 pm

Nick and I are just getting into this show - we're on episode 2 of season 2 as of last night. It really is the best cop/bad guy show I've ever seen... so real and gritty. I love that they didn't just ditch the characters and crimes of season 1, but added to them with season 2... I'm assuming it makes for more complex plotlines with each season. This might be my favourite show, which is funny considering after the first episode, I didn't think I'd make it through a season.

The acting is fantastic, but McNulty's accent (brit?) comes through a lot, especially when he's pissed off.
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 8:14 pm

and Irene, don't worry, that was hardly a spoiler!
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 8:33 pm

The acting is fantastic, but McNulty's accent (brit?) comes through a lot, especially when he's pissed off.

Yeah, but a real Baltimore accent actually has a lot of British/Scottish qualities to it. McNulty's accent ain't that far fetched. Just wait until season 3 & 4 where they dig up some local actors with really severe Maryland accents. The white western district guy with the moustache is the best and the school principal from season 4 has a pretty good one too.

I love that they didn't just ditch the characters and crimes of season 1, but added to them with season 2... I'm assuming it makes for more complex plotlines with each season.

I really liked this part of it too, but the last few episodes I've watched have so much shit going on in them it almost gives me a headache. I keep hoping a bunch of characters get murdered just so there's less drama to keep track of.
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 9:00 pm

Yeah, but a real Baltimore accent actually has a lot of British/Scottish qualities to it. McNulty's accent ain't that far fetched. Just wait until season 3 & 4 where they dig up some local actors with really severe Maryland accents. The white western district guy with the moustache is the best and the school principal from season 4 has a pretty good one too.

that makes sense... in the Maritime provinces of Canada (New Foundland, Nova Scotia, PEI, New Brunswick) a lot of people sound like they're fresh off the boat from Ireland or Scotland, even if they've been around for generations. Accent or not, McNulty rules (for a self-centred prick cop).
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 9:06 pm

Just wait until season 3 & 4 where they dig up some local actors with really severe Maryland accents.

Fact: local casting on The Wire is done by Pat Moran, who has been John Waters' casting director since Polyester (1981) and acted in his earliest films, even going back to the 60's.
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 9:12 pm

Wow JJ! I was wondering about possible connections and that is huge. Did Pat stick around Balttimore to cast or did he/she travel to the coasts for work?
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 9:15 pm

So far as I know, she's always been based in Baltimore. Her IMDB page surely gives that impression, with credits like "Homicide (casting: Baltimore)" and "Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 (casting: Baltimore)."

To me, she'll always be Patty Hitler (Party Guest In Nazi Uniform) in Pink Flamingos.
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 9:18 pm

HOLY SHIT! Pat Moran's son is a dude named Brook Yeaton, who, in addition to having several Art Department credits in the business (including on-set dresser on The Wire), also does a bit of acting. Why, you might know him as season two's 'White Mike' McArdle!
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 9:28 pm

Where did y'all find torrents of Season 5? I can't find them anywhere. I usually use the Pirate Bay.

Thnx
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 9:41 pm

Sending the police van around the world in season 2 is about the funniest goddamn thing ever.

Anybody who loves The Wire and hasn't immersed themselves in Homicide is doing a disservice to their cultural palate.
Posted: Jan 4, 2008 12:10 am

Anybody who loves The Wire and hasn't immersed themselves in Homicide is doing a disservice to their cultural palate.

I love Homicide too, but the Wire is far superior in every way. Well, except that Andre Braugher and Yaphet Kotto aren't on it.
Posted: Jan 4, 2008 12:13 am

Where did y'all find torrents of Season 5? I can't find them anywhere. I usually use the Pirate Bay.

Try Isohunt.com, apparently the guy who loaded them on pirate bay linked his myspace on the torrent tracker so HBO found him. People are idiots.
Posted: Jan 4, 2008 1:32 am

I love Homicide too, but the Wire is far superior in every way

I would not say FAR superior. I think this question needs to be re-evaluated about 5/7 years after the last Wire episode.
Posted: Jan 4, 2008 1:36 am

I would say about even. Especially considering the money and time advantage that The Wire has. Not to mention the ability to curse and fuck and slaughter.

Despite all this, Homicide is actually probably more raw and the characters even better drawn. The Wire seems more impressive because of its over-all scope. But none of the characters are as fascinating or idiosyncratic as a Pembelton or Bayliss. Belee dat.

(Although the "fuck" crime investigation sequence in the first season of Wire is a thing of genius.)
Posted: Jan 4, 2008 2:52 am

Homicide is actually probably more raw and the characters even better drawn

Homicide is more Deadwood (Romantic) than The Wire, in many ways. The characters and relationship dynamics are more fleshed out simply because they are allowed to concentrate on that to the exclusion of trying to be some grand social commentary, Naturalist novel (The Wire). Good thing I am a fan of both of those things.
Posted: Jan 4, 2008 5:09 am

Haven't seen Deadwood yet. Gonna go on a spree when I can afford to up thee Netflixxx.

Pembleton stroke year rules.
Posted: Jan 4, 2008 3:55 pm

just got in season 1 and 2 of Trailer Park Boys
so you know I'll be in a better mood next week
Posted: Jan 5, 2008 12:56 am

after watching the 4th season I would just like to say that I don't like the show anymore and David Simon is a depressing sadistic fat bald jewwy man. I tried to be compassionate and understand the ghetto world around me, but decided it was easier to call the police on, or shoot, all menacing negroes in the vicinity of my home. Here's to better times on my 42 inch high definition television; you heroin selling murderers be damned!
Posted: Jan 5, 2008 2:24 am

you obviously have not see the premeire for the new season, it's set in the lower ninth and angelina, brad, and harry conick make it all better
Posted: Jan 5, 2008 2:26 am | Edited by: Womb Raider

you obviously did not read my post, they need to napalm the lower 9th ward, nothing good ever came out of that crack ridden shithole. and any attempts by do-gooding hollywood celebrities are obviously going to be cancelled out by greedy politicians, incompetent civil servants, and drug dealing gangbangers. if we want to live by the wire's view of things let's just blow them levees up again.
Posted: Jan 5, 2008 2:27 am

angelina, brad, and harry conick make it all better
Posted: Jan 5, 2008 2:50 am

ok really though, I finally realized I don't need HBO to remind me the world is a never ending cycle of shit. I read the newspaper for that. Show me some big titties, kill all the bad guys, and superglue the fat cop to the toilet next to a ticking time bomb. That's what TV is for.

p.s. I predict the 5th season will suck.
Posted: Jan 5, 2008 2:52 am

funnily(crap is that a word?) 5th is about newspaper
Posted: Jan 5, 2008 3:47 pm

I have heard they have some really good dope down in New Orleans, WR. Maybe that will adjust your mood if Brad and Angie cannot?
Posted: Jan 5, 2008 5:51 pm | Edited by: Womb Raider

I have heard they have some really good dope down in New Orleans,

street drugs here are about as potent as brad pitt's limp dick. you really can score some fine heroin in baltimore though, that much is true.
Posted: Jan 5, 2008 8:07 pm

Apparently David Simon's next show will be about the New Orleans music scene post-Katrina.
Posted: Jan 5, 2008 9:03 pm

street drugs here are about as potent as brad pitt's limp dick

I wonder why someone hasn't gotten back on that game? Was it always like that down there, cos, you see, I have no fucking idea.
Posted: Jan 5, 2008 11:12 pm

It's not that you can't get good drugs here, but anything purchased from the "mopes" on the "corner" is cut with so much god-knows-what that you might as well snort a bunch of comet. to get the good stuff takes a level of commitment that I am not willing to put forth.
Posted: Jan 5, 2008 11:42 pm

half-steppers get stepped-on!
Posted: Jan 6, 2008 3:56 am

Rappers stepping to me they want to get some
But Im the kane, so yo, you know the outcome
Another victory
They cant get with me
So pick a bc date cause youre history
Im the authentic poet to get lyrical
For you to beat me, its gonna take a miracle
And, stepping to me, yo thats the wrong move
So what you on, hobbs, dope or dog food?
Competition I just devour
Like a pitbull against a chihuahua
Cause when it comes to being dope, hot damn
I got it good, now let me tell you who I am
The b-i-g d-a-double d-y k-a-n-e
Dramatic, asiatic, not like many
Im different, so dont compare me to another
Cause they cant hang, word to the mother
At least not with the principal in this pedigree
So when I roll on you rappers, you better be
Ready to die because youre petty
Youre just a butter knife, Im a machete
Thats made by ginzu, wait until when you
Try to front, so I can chop into
Your body, just because you try to be basing
Friday the 13th, imma play jason
No type of joke, gag, game, puzzle or riddle
The name is big daddy, yes big not little
So define it
Heres your walking papers, sign it
And take a walk
As the kane start to talk, cause...
Posted: Jan 6, 2008 7:05 pm

Posted: Jan 6, 2008 10:18 pm | Edited by: saispas

Has anyone seen the Bubs at the NA meeting with Steve Earle short? Watching now.

Never mind...brief ad for tonight/series.
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 5:45 pm

ok really though, I finally realized I don't need HBO to remind me the world is a never ending cycle of shit.

Chris, does this make it all better?
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 6:20 pm

yeah, I guess.
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 5:08 pm

Meldrick Lewis is back! Good to see a familiar face join the cast... I knew he'd been a long-time Wire director, but it's good to see him in front of the camera.
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 6:51 pm

Meldrick Lewis is back!
Yes!!!

I was however sorely disappointed that the producers didn't pick up the Compulsive Gamblers' version of "Way Down in the Hole" for the theme tune this season.
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 6:56 pm

is it just me or does the theme song get worse with every season? I didn't think it could get any worse than the one in season four but my goodness, the new one is fucking horrendous.
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 6:57 pm | Edited by: saispas

I wanted them to go back to first one and quit all the switching around; too gimmicky.

Oh and I hope "Meldrick" starts wearing the pork pies, but I doubt he will with this character, more of a Bunk thing to do.
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 7:08 pm

Unless they do it as an homage somewhere in passing or something. You never know.
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 7:18 pm

Watched the Homicide last night where Munch sings Mack the Knife at karaoke. Classic.
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 12:40 am

Watched the Homicide last night where Munch sings Mack the Knife at karaoke. Classic.

Me too! We watched season 4 of The Wire and then The Corner and now we have Homicide represented fully in our Netflix que. And Ned Beatty...I'm in heaven. I love that man.

When they killed Bodie on season 4 I wanted the social realism to end and for Omar to blow them all away. I liked Bodie a lot. But, what can I say? I still love The Wire.

With all this David Simon television I've been watching lately I sure could use a dose of Liz Lemmon and Michael Scott.
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 1:08 am

Oh, I watch the same Office repeats (both BBC and US) over and over and over to counteract bad vibes from The Wire etc.

(Didn't The Corner fucking tear you up or what? I was weeping like a baby at the end.)
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 3:11 am

i'm totally down for OMAR vs DUDE IN NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN movie.
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 3:11 am

though perhaps with a catchier title.
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 8:51 am

Count me in for $8!!!
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 8:52 am

wait....you do mean violence and not sex, right?
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 1:22 pm

[i]wait....you do mean violence and not sex, right?[i]

I don't think he's Omar's type.
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 8:35 pm

I think Omar would take him...out, I mean. I mean, dead, not "Out". Whew.
Posted: Jan 18, 2008 5:19 pm

So, I hate to say it, but I think its gotta be said: this seasons sort of feels like it might end up sucking. Like, David Simon is using the show as a soapbox in none-too subtle ways... all the characters are speechifying and moralizing and the whole thing seems a bit one dimensional. Especially in the newsroom.... Like the "evil editors"? And the wise old crusty city editor with a rough exterior but a heart of gold? I mean, c'mon! It all feels a bit obvious.
Posted: Jan 18, 2008 10:34 pm

You are too cynical for a young man, Joe.

I agree, but not enough to just throw my hands in the air. My biggest frustration is with the McNulty faux serial killer storyline...that better stop and soon.
hookorcrook
Posted: Jan 18, 2008 10:37 pm

maybe i just saw all the preachy soundbites already in the on demand extras so they seem even more unsubtle now but yeah i get that feeling too.
Posted: Jan 18, 2008 10:53 pm

yeah so far it has not been as "real" as the previous seasons. the newsroom parts especially have a schmaltzy, sitcom kind of feel to them.
Posted: Jan 19, 2008 1:19 am

Definitely feels, especially in episode 3, like certain monologues were too well framed and melodramatically played out. Also, the end with Omar seemed more like the beginning of a Steven Segal movie. But then again, shit is blowing up! SHhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
Posted: Jan 19, 2008 1:55 am

My biggest frustration is with the McNulty faux serial killer storyline...that better stop and soon.
That retard stuff is hilarious! reminds me of nip/tuck
Posted: Jan 19, 2008 2:03 am

My biggest frustration is with the McNulty faux serial killer storyline...that better stop and soon.

Yeah. I know. And I haven't even seen the newest as I don't have onDemand, but I guess the writers couldn't think of another way to spur the city brass into coughing up dough for the police, so I think we'll have to hold tight for now.
Posted: Jan 19, 2008 3:47 am | Edited by: saispas

EXACTLY. I am expecting some serious mother-daughter three way sex to yet another remix of "Blue Monday" any second now.
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 2:40 pm

what the hell was up with omar flying off the balcony and disappearing does he have ninja powers now?
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 3:26 pm

It's the coat. It's really a cape.
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 3:29 pm

And the way Marlo conducted the execution of Proposition Joe! Very respectful.
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 4:03 pm

the newsroom scenes are really making me cringe. But all this new Omar/Marlow/Prop Joe drama has got me thirsting for more now.
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 4:20 pm

the newsroom scenes are really making me cringe.

it's been cracking me up because they keep saying the rules that are taught in first year journalism classes
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 12:03 am

You guys are killing me. I'm 1/2 way into season 3 (at least 32 hours worth of viewing) & I'm still waiting for this to get good.

Christ, there's so much going on in Season 2, the DVD offers a road map so you can keep all the characters straight. Still tough to do.
hookorcrook
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 3:59 am

You guys are killing me. I'm 1/2 way into season 3 (at least 32 hours worth of viewing) & I'm still waiting for this to get good.

someone else told me that tonight and i thought maybe they were set up to not like it because everyone told them it is the best thing ever. i think it is and i wish i was in their shoes to watch a a ton of them in a row now but if you have watched that much and dont like it maybe you wont like it.
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 11:29 am

Anyone else notice that so far in season 5 David Simon is going sort of overboard with all the train metaphor stuff? Like, not just the usual lots of train tracks and actual trains, but now there are a ton of train whistles in the soundtrack? And more train songs, too. 5th seasons is blowing it pretty hard.
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 11:49 am

Haven't noticed one train or whistle at all. They been feeding you perception altering substances out there in Chicago?
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 11:50 am

Or is your apartment right next to the train tracks?
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 12:29 pm

You're not listening!! And at this time of year, I WISH I lived next to the train.
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 1:10 pm

Didn't you get any extra long john's for xmas?
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 10:34 pm

RIP Omar
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 11:42 am

I knew it would be that kid.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 1:01 pm

Who is watching a week ahead?

I almost gave up a major development to those that aren't--ooops!
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 1:02 pm

yeah, i've been trying to watch myself, only one more episode
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 1:06 pm

So you saw the scenes from the final episode? That thing better be 7 hours long to tie up all those loose ends.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 1:10 pm

yeah, can't remember was soprano's last longer than an hour? two hours to end it would be great
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 1:36 pm

Episode 10 is supposed to be 90 minutes, and I've read in several places that it will not be on OnDemand a week early.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 3:17 pm

I'm not watching a week ahead, so I've still got 2 episodes. I guess I'd better not look too closely at this thread until it's all over.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 5:58 pm

Yeah, leftpeg- get outta here!

OK- so the last two episodes (8+9) have ALMOST redeemed this weak-ass season. I don't watch the "scenes from next week's episode" shit, but the finale better be good, or I'm never gonna illegally download another HBO show ever again.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 6:34 pm

The one for this coming Sunday (showing now on On Demand, leftpeg!) was so good. And the scenes from the next look great as well. PRESBO!
Posted: Mar 1, 2008 3:19 am

so i've been thinking. all the major players from previous seasons are supposed to make an appearance this season. brother mouzone hasn't been on yet. he's gonna get marlo! right?
Posted: Mar 1, 2008 10:52 am

brother mouzone

Not major. And also, that was one of the silliest, most indulgent plots ever on the Wire, and I think David Simon knows this. He's not gonna give more screen time (let alone Marlo's potential demise) to the guy that was more mythical/unrealistic than even Omar.

If Marlo goes, it will be at the hands of a Barksdale-related enforcer (Slim Charles, maybe?), and the series will end pretty much where we started- with Avon and Co. back on the streets runnin' shit.
Posted: Mar 1, 2008 11:50 am

the guy that plays marlo (marlowe?) is awesome.

i ain't watching this silly ass season.

love for the presbo!
Posted: Mar 1, 2008 11:58 am

marlo (marlowe?) is awesome

silly ass season

This season is pretty silly, but there is still some great shit. Esp. with Marlo.
Posted: Mar 1, 2008 12:36 pm

This season is pretty silly, but there is still some great shit. Esp. with Marlo.

And Dook and Michael.

PRESBO!!!
Posted: Mar 1, 2008 1:19 pm

love for the DOOK!

i'ma watch it all straight through when it's over. yep.
Posted: Mar 1, 2008 3:13 pm

Saispas- that scene in episode 9 with Marlo... "My name IS my name!"

Goddamn, one of the best scenes in the whole series. Give that kid an Emmy.
Posted: Mar 1, 2008 4:29 pm

Bubbles has also been awesome all season.

I loved the scene with the FBI profiler. "He's in the ballpark."
Posted: Mar 1, 2008 6:36 pm

Saispas- that scene in episode 9 with Marlo... "My name IS my name!"

I actually thought that was corny! Like, where the hell did all that crazy energy come from all the sudden?

Bubbles always makes me get close to crying. Did anyone notice that it was the real life Fran from The Corner taking his blood for the HIV test???? GO FRAN!
Posted: Mar 1, 2008 7:54 pm

that was corny!

??

where the hell did all that crazy energy come from all the sudden

That's what's so rad, he was always sort of unnaturally calm and detached. All of his crazy rhetoric about wearing the crown, and when he had that security guard killed, and the Prop Joe moment ("I was never meant to play the son"), etc... it all adds up. I thought that outburst was so appropriate and satisfying and necessary to his character. Jamie Hector represent!
Posted: Mar 1, 2008 8:40 pm

I hear you, but I didn't feel that from him (the actor). If I analyze it, I see exactly what you are saying and I likes the idea, but he just came off a bit forced. Still, he is certainly one of the better actors on the show this season.
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 2:35 pm

anyone notice if this is on ondemand or do we have to wait until sunday?
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 2:47 pm

Best actor of this season- Steve Earle's combover.
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 3:48 pm

no on-demand for this one. they don't want spoilers posted everywhere.
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 3:51 pm

sheeeeeeeet
Posted: Mar 4, 2008 1:30 pm

so are they gonna have to throw out the whole case against marlo because of the serial killer hoax? this has all gotten really confusing. I'm very happy the show is ending.
Posted: Mar 4, 2008 1:46 pm

I'd like to propose the Wire series finale drinking game:

Clay Davis says "sheeeeit" = 1 drink
Michael gets got = 2 drinks
McNulty goes to jail = 5 drinks
McNulty commits suicide = 10 drinks
??????
Posted: Mar 4, 2008 3:40 pm

Dooky moves in with Presbo=5 drinks
Omar's zombie comes walking down the street and caps Omar=25 drinks
hookorcrook
Posted: Mar 4, 2008 5:47 pm

I guess we'll have to wait a week to talk about it for sure but in tough competition the most irritating thing this season was Omar's 5 story leap resulting in one broken leg. oh he hid in the closet. whaaaat?

Hopefully the last season of the Shield will bring the action.
Posted: Mar 4, 2008 5:59 pm

Meant to say Omar's zombie would cap Marlo.
Posted: Mar 4, 2008 8:20 pm

most irritating thing this season was Omar's 5 story leap resulting in one broken leg. oh he hid in the closet. whaaaa

Apparently this really happened to the guy that Omar is based on (the actor who gets got in the apt. shoot out). He was involved in a similar shoot out and bailed out of a three story window. He's now married to Fran from the Corner.
Posted: Mar 4, 2008 8:44 pm

Posted: Mar 5, 2008 7:30 am

This show pisses me off and I've never seen an episode. I added it to my Netflix queue eons ago after several people raved about it. The availability was "Very Long Wait" for fucking EVER, and just yesterday it changed to "Now". I quickly moved it to the top of my queue, thinking we'd get the first disc of season one in a couple of days. When I checked again this morning the availability was "Long Wait". What the fuck!?!?!?

I have checked for it at Blockbuster - it's always checked out.
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 8:08 am

When I checked again this morning the availability was "Long Wait". What the fuck!?!?!?

You can purchase the season DVDs on Amazon for 35-40 bucks each, and they're worth it.

If you fuck with torrents or rapidshare then you can get the entire series more or less for free.

P.S. If anyone cares, the DVD screener (93 minutes!) of the final episode has already been leaked.
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 8:53 am

P.S. If anyone cares, the DVD screener (93 minutes!) of the final episode has already been leaked.

Good to know. Time to stop checking Wire threads on any message board.
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 10:08 am

Fran + Donnie = LUV

I just heard that Ed Burns got a movie about this green-lit. Simon's gonna write it with him.
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 10:26 am

That should be a total winner...they gotta snag whatserface back from CSI: Miami; she IS Fran.
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 12:22 pm

Major Rawls & Stan Valchek having gay buttsex: 80 drinks
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 12:47 pm

Add the zombie of DeAngelo Barksdale to the Omar zombie=30 drinks
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 1:19 pm

Lester and Mc Nulty sodomize Griggs with a billy club for snitching to Daniels= 2 drinks and 3 "umbrella steps" forward. Yes, The Wire is now a drinking game affiliated with "Mother May I."
Posted: Mar 6, 2008 5:03 pm

Posted: Mar 6, 2008 5:33 pm

I heard Richard Price but I think our station is behind one day.
Posted: Mar 6, 2008 5:38 pm

This will surprise no one, but Terry Gross interviewed David Simon on Fresh Air today.

you're stealing chico's chace to post, maybe he won't see this and post it again though... i'm breathless in anticipation.
Posted: Mar 6, 2008 7:27 pm

Chica Hairless can eat it.
Posted: Mar 9, 2008 10:11 pm

So long. Overall a good season, but the newspaper storyline really didn't seem to go anywhere.
Posted: Mar 9, 2008 10:13 pm

I totally thought Marlowe was going to kill Michael, so I was very relieved to see him as Lil Omar!

RIP Wire.
Posted: Mar 9, 2008 10:37 pm

I like the idea of Michael being a stick-up boy, but I didn't like how they basically re-created the introduction of Omar from S1 to show it. I mean the Wire usually doesn't shove things like that down your throat. I loved the scene during the montage of Partlow and Wee-Bay. I just wish I could have heard their conversation. I think that Marlow is going to be done with the game, he has the money and he has Levy. Stringer got screwed because he didn't have Levy to help him when he tried to go legit. The main irony of it is that Marlow doesn't really want to go legit, he couldn't care less about dropping bodies for the rest of his life. That's not to say that Stringer developed a conscience, he just realized that he could get an equal profit with less risk by going legit. Marlow is just basically a sociopath.
Posted: Mar 9, 2008 11:04 pm

I like the idea of Michael being a stick-up boy, but I didn't like how they basically re-created the introduction of Omar from S1 to show it.

Yeah, it was cheesy, but as an homage to my favorite Wire character, I am fine with it.

I agree that marlow is a complete sociopath, but he is also a complete pussy. He left that scene cos he couldn't even consider making the transition out of fear of leaving what he knew; Stringer didn't have the fear and in fact, welcomed the challenge.
Posted: Mar 9, 2008 11:10 pm

I would just like to say I'm glad I never have to watch this show again.

When it was good, it was great. When it was bad, it was horrible.

Mostly I loved it because I have a soft spot for Baltimore & Maryland. And junkies and drug dealers too I guess.
Posted: Mar 10, 2008 5:07 am

O fuck, there's a whole topic about that crapshow.
A serious one even.
Posted: Mar 10, 2008 11:39 am

Pretty weak finale. The Sun plot really didn't go anywhere, and it did so pretty unbelievably (wouldn't the cops have told the editors about the undercover guy?)

Also, for Dukie to go from kid to scamming Prez to junkie in the span of one episode felt like bullshit. Michael as Omar was obvious from the end of the 9th episode, but to put a shotgun in his hand and have him zing out Omar-style one liners was a bit much.

I liked seeing Prez- I knew he would make it.

McNulty seemed a little TOO okay with leaving his job. Lester had a pension and a hobby, but McNulty has Beadie's ugly kids to take care of. Sort of weird how he went out.

Sydnor as McNulty felt abrubt and silly. I liked the last Bunk/Kima scene. I liked Jimmy's fake wake... Landsman is golden in those scenes.

Valchek as commish! Pretty good.

Daniels/Ronnie- a little too picture perfect of an ending.

It was nice to see so many familiar faces and get so much resolution, but it all felt a little forced. Too many overt parallels rammed down the viewer's throat.

I will say that Slim getting Cheese was great, and Marlo's bizarre, fierce, return to the corner was pretty mesmerizing. He's an animal... didn't Prop Joe have a line about how hard it was to "civilize this motherfucker"? Pretty appropriate.

Best show ever, RIP.
Posted: Mar 10, 2008 12:19 pm

I liked the last Bunk/Kima scene. I liked Jimmy's fake wake... Landsman is golden in those scenes.

These two scenes rectified many a problem.

Marlo's bizarre, fierce, return to the corner was pretty mesmerizing.

Very Richard Widmark. But I saw it more as he came back to a place that wasn't talking/thinking/caring about him, they were caring about Omar's legend. I could only read it as he's in trouble; he's over, just like Barksdale and Stringer. Plus Slim was shown with the Connect.
Posted: Mar 10, 2008 12:44 pm

I could only read it as he's in trouble; he's over, just like Barksdale and Stringer. Plus Slim was shown with the Connect

Yeah, that's what I mean... he goes back to the only thing he knows/wants and has nothing. Omar succeeded in his bid to strip Marlo of his power. But seeing him disarm those kids and sort of vibrate at the sight of his own blood and sense of power (however marginal) really explains a lot about him. And it was a good parallel with Jimmy... these two dudes totally adrift, facing something new and unfamiliar and having to adapt. Pretty interesting end for Mr. Stanfield.
Posted: Mar 10, 2008 2:48 pm

i'ma watch it all straight through when it's over. yep.

me too....
Posted: Mar 10, 2008 6:06 pm | Edited by: saint sarah

The end Dookie faced made me sad. I guess west b-more needed a new Bubbles.
Posted: Mar 10, 2008 7:03 pm

Dook broke my heart the whole time.
Posted: Mar 10, 2008 8:01 pm

DOOKIE was set up to rule it. just like Bubs.
Posted: Mar 12, 2008 3:42 pm

does anyone have a good non-torrent site to download Season 5? i don't have HBO and i am tired of having to turn off radios, not read articles, and run away from people the second season five is discussed. i've already heard enough spoliers.
Posted: Mar 15, 2008 12:49 pm

Richard Price is in Oxford at Square Books Tuesday.
Posted: May 14, 2008 5:44 am

does anyone have a good non-torrent site to download Season 5? i don't have HBO and i am tired of having to turn off radios, not read articles, and run away from people the second season five is discussed. i've already heard enough spoliers.

Sorry for the delay; I don't check this site as often as I should.

As for your query, a Rapidshare Premium (http://rapidshare.com/premium.html) account is your oyster...

http://tinyurl.com/6mth4q
Posted: May 14, 2008 8:57 am

Bunk was at the Hornets game last night!
Posted: May 14, 2008 9:00 am

We're starting season 4 tonight - can't wait!
Posted: May 14, 2008 9:01 am

nice!
Posted: May 14, 2008 11:45 am

Bunk was at the Hornets game last night!

I saw him (on TV that is)! So was the guy who got kicked off Grey's Anatomy for calling his gay castmate a "faggot"!!!
Posted: May 14, 2008 9:35 pm

Final thought

Season 5 was still good, the finale was great. I think the main reason the newspaper storyline didn't work as well as say the school story line did is that people could not relate to it. Most of us went to public school, and we can all relate to how poorly the system is run. As students we were constantly told about the importance of tests, without much thought to actually develop our critical thinking skills. It's a fucked up system that we all recognize, and we still relate to those few teachers who actually cared about us. Hell I wouldn't know anything about Punk Rock if it wasn't for Mr. Riley.
At the same time we all know that the media is insanely fucked up, but we do not know the inner workings of an actual newspaper as well so the characters are automatically removed from us, and their frustrations from the higher ups do not resonate as well as the do when shown in relation to a school system. Of course the same could be said about police, but our culture has a larger fascination with police and we seem to be more knowledgeable about the corruption within a police department. In addition people such as "goners" still enjoy seeing a show with a few cops that are good and want to help people and do not see being police as their opportunity to "bust some skulls and take down some faggots". We distrust the police, but would like to trust them.
Posted: May 15, 2008 7:34 am

then how come most critics (who, in fact, work for newspapers) hated the newspaper storyline too?
Posted: May 15, 2008 7:54 am | Edited by: michael baker

hen how come most critics (who, in fact, work for newspapers) hated the newspaper storyline too?

solid point, if also overstated--hate seems too strong a word, esp with so many people (about fucking time) naming it as best show ever on TV blah blah. Perhaps the print guytz and girlz fall prey to a goner board-like (new thesis for deadcity) dislike of strangers. More than turf wars or xenophobia--it's a message board; it's a tv show--these insiders decry anything that smacks oif easy glossing over what they call a life's work. I am a news0paper man and you will never understated the complexities here. UH? i worked as freelance critic for knight ridder. i saw something. went to a phone. spoke over the phone a review. boy now that's Byzantium in its convoluted renderings. my point? i think anyone inside is going to dislike an outsider's viewpoint. simple psychology. makes the critic feel better. bigger britches. creating false battles where they win by default. sort of like nfl commentators who excuse sloppy play because "we" never played the gasme. yeah, but favre threw it into triple coverage in field goal range. so? you never played QB. but i can fucking see.

i think more so than davie's objections are that

season 5 seemed tired, as do most finales, what with the tendency to close avenues of expression as opposed by the aesthetic desire to open things up.

the third CD in any box set is always better than the 6th cd. check out CCR and the rascals and the velvets.

season 1 and season 4 were so GD great EVERYthing will pale.

season 5 sucked also because we knew the best show on tv ever was kaput.
Posted: May 15, 2008 9:13 am

but it wasn't "an outsider's viewpoint," David Simon worked at the Baltimore Sun for like 20 years or something.

The real problem with the newspaper plot was the characters SUCKED. They were boring bitter bastards. Pretty much all the other plotlines on the wire had great character development, but the newspaper people were always one -sided schmohawks.
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 10:54 am

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 1:08 pm

WIRE related:

The current issue of Stop Smiling magazine is the "DC Issue" and features two covers, one with George Pelecanos and one with Anwan Glover, AKA Big G, AKA Slim Charles.

Haven't gotten to the Pelecanos interview, but the Glover one is long, insightful and entertaining. Also features a great interview with Thomas Frank. Good reading all around.

As a subscriber, mine came with a CD copy of live & unreleased tracks from Glover's Backyard Band. This is my first real exposure to go-go, and I'm not sure I like it.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®