Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / S X SW Questions
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 5:43 pm

So who's playing and when? I guess we may be going down this year, it would be on Thurs. 3/13 - our showcase has 20 bands and it goes from noon - 9 pm. I threw out the idea of doing a gig in Nashville, a gig in Memphis, then driving the rest of the way... but I am not sure how well that went over. We'll probably just fly down and rent a mini-van. (Is it worth spending all this $$$???) My drummer's so excited she is about to pee herself (her words, not mine) and considers this a dream come true, so I'm trying to be positive about it. Another potential bummer is that my bass player works on films and there may be a film starting production in Cleveland (where she lives) right around the same time as this gig. So we might have to play without her if she gets that job. Sigh. So many details... Input? Anyone? Shell Shag is organizing the showcase.
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 5:50 pm

i haven't played sxsw in years. though not totally opposed to it i'm not going to bend over backwards to do it. with that said, its still a party i guess, so i don't think its ever "worth" it for any reason other than that. a showcase with 20 bands? i don' know about that...shell shag are awesome, but 20 bands????? just stay drunk, it'll be easier to deal with.
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 5:55 pm

That's pretty good advice. Well on the upside, I've always wanted to go to Austin, and S X SW by proxy, so it'll be fun I'm sure. I almost went with the Slicks 2 years ago (shoulda coulda woulda)... at least this time I'd be making MY OWN rockstar memories... Yeah the show case in a PARKING LOT didn't sound that appealing either...???
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 6:33 pm

Well? What showcase is it?
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 7:13 pm

20 bands is 16-17 too many.....
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 9:03 pm

My band played there last year. We treated it as a vacation. The free pass to SXSW was all we got paid so of course we took a bath on expenses.
We could have made up some of our losses by playing some un-official shows and day parties, but that would have kept us busy and away from seeing some of the other bands we wanted to see.
Over all I think it was a blast, but the idea of using it for business / promotion is lost on me. Unless you are playing a big show at Stubb's or can get the right buzz before you get there your band is lost in the sea.
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 9:08 pm

I went one year and had a fucking BLAST. Goner showcase was packed so a friend and I managed to sneak in and see Morrissey! (I don't care if you think that's gay, it ruled). Made it back to Beerland in time to see Head totally slay. I think the Fall-Outs are gonna play this year?!?
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 10:17 pm

we're pencil-necked in at Beerland on friday night with our roster & guests tryin' to figure out if they can make it... we'll be there!
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 10:47 pm

I went with my ex's band as their "manager", their label paid for the flight, and we had the all-access wristbands and a place to stay. Their show was less than spectacular.... but the entire weekend was fucking awesome. Shows all day long and drinking, craziness, it's totally worth going, especially as a band so you dont have to pay to get into anything!!
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 2:52 am

We treated it as a vacation. The free pass to SXSW was all we got paid so of course we took a bath on expenses.

that's a healthy mindset. And SXSW is a hell of a vacation. Just a nightmarish clusterfuck everywhere you look. Find a free list and read through it a couple times. But mostly just know you're coming to spend money and have fun.

As for who's playing they haven't released the first list yet. Should be crazy though! Save up!
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 5:38 am

this would be tons of fun to play at
Posted: Dec 14, 2007 3:06 pm

I'm already thinking of it as a vacation with my bandmates, so it ought to be fun. But right now it's still up in the air. My drummer has to buy her ticket today or she's going to lose some air miles or something. I'm going to have to borrow money to afford a ticket! When I said 'yes,' I wasn't thinking I'd have to buy a plane ticket in less than 7 days. Oh well... I guess I'll make some calls later. We haven't even recorded an album yet, so I am not thinking this is going to be some big opportunity for the band. I just hope I get to see some of my favorite bands while we're there, too... Like I know what's going on in the world of music! Golden Boys? Haunted George? Anyone?
Posted: Dec 15, 2007 2:01 am

Golden Boys? Haunted George? Anyone?

Probably. Any band from Austin will play at least once somewhere. Goner will bring down some greatness. First list of official SXSW bands should be out in Feb. Expect to spend a LOT of time at Beerland.

Also find someplace to stay, quick. I think the closest hotel still available is in another city.
Posted: Dec 15, 2007 3:40 am

I've been the last 2 years and worked at Waterloo and Beerland in 2006....it's definitely a blast.....some of the best things are free....day shows, parties, etc.....
Posted: Dec 16, 2007 5:09 am

the first time I played SXSW, it was a big deal and we got a ton of hype out of it, which got us lots of press and a few gigs - but ultimately didnt sell any more records.

the second time, we played another 1000 seater in addition to our booker's showcase, but our appearance wasn't hyped, our record came out six months later and got only one or two pieces of press worth a damn.

the day shows are fun, there's lists for the free stuff. vice's events had BBQ and roky erikson last time i went, and you can always see japanese punk bands, which is a great thing. we played with DMBQ and Afrirampo and that was killer.
Posted: Dec 16, 2007 8:56 pm | Edited by: trey

Expect to spend a LOT of time at Beerland.

rob's house / douchemaster / die slaughterhaus showcase at beerland on saturday march 15th. we got our lineup pretty much nailed down and its gonna be a drunken mess. details later.
Posted: Dec 17, 2007 12:03 am

we played with DMBQ and Afrirampo

Hell yeah.

Golden Error is hopefully going down. Fuck a showcase, parties are where it's at.

rob's house / douchemaster / die slaughterhaus showcase

Although this and Goner showcase are sure-fire winners. Final Solutions better be playing!
Posted: Dec 17, 2007 2:25 am

Psychedelic Horseshit
Tvyek
Cheveu (france)
Pink Reason
TV Ghost
Daily Void
XnobbqX (aus)
Naked on the Vague (aus)
Fabulous Diamonds (aus)
Eat Skull
Little Claw
Blues Control
Mike Rep and the Quotas
Ex-Cocaine
Unholy Two

are all rumored to be playing. heard a rumor there is a chance Electric Bunnies may come back too.
Posted: Dec 17, 2007 4:30 am

Shell Shag

just realized that if shell shag is playing then more than likely the carnys and/or attic ted are playing. fucking awesome.
Posted: Dec 17, 2007 1:08 pm

Hipshakes are most likely going. Playing Slovenly showcase and more???...
Posted: Dec 17, 2007 3:00 pm

but ultimately didnt sell any more records.
We don't even HAVE a record yet, so...

Psychedelic Horseshit

The lead singer/guitarist is a friend of mine...

We are all booked, flying down Weds. 3/12 and coming back Sat. 3/17. We still need to get the details from Shell Shag to get our hotel room booked...maybe I'll call Jen tonight. I just saw the Unholy Two is on there, they're Columbusites, big CS fans too.

So add the Mary Anns to that list.

We are looking to share/rent equipment- since we are flying... My drummer would love to borrow/ pay to use some drums plus we have a keyboard player and bass and guitar. We could probably use Shell's guitar amp but other than that we are hoping to network our way into some equipment, if anyone knows anyone... or has any hints.
Posted: Dec 17, 2007 3:18 pm

We are looking to share/rent equipment

that's usually the rule. shouldn't be a problem. rick carney will gladly loan you all his gear.
hookorcrook
Posted: Dec 17, 2007 5:19 pm

Golden Boys? Haunted George? A

we had a 'showcase' the last couple years and may again this year with GBs, The Mirrors and Hank IV. Steve would probably go but it is kind of late in the game and I am not getting any help from anyone to get something going except from the official sxsw folks and the bands dont think that is as fun (probably true). If it was an unofficial one then Hex Dispensers would play too but I am not going this year (8 years is more than enough, i dont forsee personally returning to sxsw) and cant see arranging anything from afar. GBs will play at least once i'm sure.

I can't believe the trouble I have had getting Hank IV added to shows. They are going to play the WFMU stage but as of now that is it. If anyone is putting something on they could jump on that would be great.
Posted: Dec 17, 2007 5:41 pm

Hipshakes are most likely going. Playing Slovenly showcase and more???...

MORE! MORE!
Posted: Dec 17, 2007 5:45 pm

rick carney will gladly loan you all his gear.

It will be in use with Pat Todd and the Rank Outsiders. Maybe Gravy Boat and Superfly, too. Thanks for thinking of me Arman.
Posted: Dec 17, 2007 6:57 pm

You can borrow my bass rig if you need to.
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 9:17 pm

France Has the Bomb may have an official show, and we're looking to add a couple more. If anyone has any leads, we'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

URL
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 1:28 am

We are most likely coming down... 90% sure... playin' the Goner Showcase (+ more??...anyone?? ....email us: cococoma (at) gmail.com)...
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 2:33 am

France Has the Bomb/Cococomas/Headache City House Party?!?!
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 9:56 pm

Well? What showcase is it?
God I don't know anything yet because Jen from Shell Shag isn't returning our calls. It may even just be a party. Is there a way to get added to another showcase, since we'll be there for 5 days anyway? Or is it too late for that?

Sorry I'm off the board so much, working my tail off @ UPS right now!!! So I haven't been on in DAYS>>>>> I'll try to be better.
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 9:58 pm

You can borrow my bass rig if you need to.
We may need to... we'll be playing on Thursday March 13th, location TBA
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 10:01 pm

K I'll let you know when I figure out when the hell we're playing!
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 10:12 pm

I'm going to try my best not to vomit my intestines out this time around.
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 10:31 pm

wha? no no no! vomito!
Posted: Dec 22, 2007 12:18 am

Floridas Dying has an afternoon show at Beerland March 13 (thursday). Its not official so its free.
Daily Void, Hibachi Stranglers, Electric Bunnies, Menthols, Coconut Coolouts, and more
if anyone can help with some extra parties for Electric Bunnies, Menthols, Daily Void, or Hibachi Stranglers please contact me or point me in the write direction. I have a lot of tours to book down to austin as well so any help would be appreciated.
Posted: Dec 22, 2007 12:29 am

wha? no no no! vomito!

Do you remember when you and Jeanine and bill and I went and got tacos last year...that shit made me SICK!!!! or maybe it was 3 days of drinking and not eating
Posted: Dec 22, 2007 12:40 am

Is there a way to get added to another showcase, since we'll be there for 5 days anyway?

If it's an official SXSW showcase then SXSW is kinda bitchy about that. But that didn't stop anyone last year!

Not really too late but get in touch with people down here who do shit like that or get sponsered by Vice or Sparks or some other kinda insufferable hipster shit and they might get you onto some big party.

OR

Just play your showcase and spend the rest of your time mooching offa bigshot wannabes, riding the ASCAP boatride, eating Turbonegros Barbeque, and generally making a nuisance of yourself!
Posted: Dec 22, 2007 1:01 am

Do you remember when you and Jeanine and bill and I went and got tacos last year...that shit made me SICK!!!! or maybe it was 3 days of drinking and not eating

man those tacos were GOOD!....mmmmm....Margaritas....
Posted: Dec 22, 2007 2:48 pm

Anyone got a party we could play, looks like maybe there isn't gonna be a Slovenly showcase...
Posted: Dec 22, 2007 3:33 pm

Yeah, I'm interested in finding out who's hosting some parties. I need to get something for TV Ghost, Dead Luke and like Rich above mentioned, the Electric Bunnies definitely need a party too.
Posted: Dec 22, 2007 9:06 pm

Posted: Dec 24, 2007 7:35 pm

The 13th is also my guitarist's birthday... so we're gonna have to treat her right. (Although she's already given us some disclaimers about not being much of a partier anymore!) I think she's going to have to have a few margaritas at least. We'll be in Austin damnit!
Posted: Dec 25, 2007 4:06 am

First off, Shellshag fucking rule.

Secondly, if Shell is putting togeather a twenty band showcase, it's not an "official" showcase. That's a good thing! I'm sure that if they are going to TRY and have that many bands go on in a timely fashion. There will be some sort of backline.

And thirdly, you could probably rent something and fly if you got on the ball.

Good luck. Eat at Tamale House, don't buy crack by the salvation army. Take the "upper deck". Have a drink at The Poodle Dog. Don't carry anything on yer person.
Posted: Jan 18, 2008 7:48 pm

Yeah, I'm interested in finding out who's hosting some parties.

...Secondly, if Shell is putting togeather a twenty band showcase, it's not an "official" showcase. That's a good thing!

You are correct- we are playing at a PARTY, hosted by Shell Shag. A friend who lives there has also offered us a gig at a coffee shop of some sort.

My guitarist (Elisa Nicolas) has a solo act and she's applied for an actual showcase with them, but I don't think she's heard back. (By the way, her solo stuff is NOTHING AT ALL like the Mary Anns!) She ROCKS IT OUT for us! She busted out this AWESOME little song at practice the other night. She was like "If you held a gun to my head, I could write 10 3-minute songs overnight." We were like, 'GO AHEAD!'

rent something and fly if you got on the ball. Elisa looked into renting the backline, it's exorbitantly expensive! My drummer got some drums (one of our friends who moved down there is going to bring hers down...) so that's a big relief. I'm in touch with Shell Shag, as far as seeing which bands are playing at the party. I think we'll be OK, but we just want to have it all nailed down before we go, obviously! We are all flying down together. Girl party!!!
hookorcrook
Posted: Jan 19, 2008 4:28 am

looks there is going to be a hook or crook show afterall, wednesday night at Lambert's www.lambertsaustin.com

haunted george
the mirrors
golden boys
hank iv
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 3:28 am

ooks there is going to be a hook or crook show afterall, wednesday night at Lambert's www.lambertsaustin.com

haunted george
the mirrors
golden boys
hank iv

The CDR $HOWCA$E is downstars at Lambert's the same night as the hook or crook showcase.
NO $HIT!!!!

El Jesus de Magico
Guinea Worms
Tommy Jay Band featuring the General and Mike Rep
Necropolis
Night of Pleasure
The Unholy Two
hookorcrook
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 9:29 pm

that is totally radical news. fuck!
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 9:58 pm

What is CDR?

I've never heard of any of those bands.
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 10:45 pm

rad! i know where I will be on Wed. night.
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 12:42 pm

the carnys
I know they are... My guitarist may be playing (the local paper listed her as playing but she wasn't sure if that was a misunderstanding or not) in a showcase, if she is, we'll all get the wristbands because she did not have her other backup band going with her!
El Jesus de Magico
Guinea Worms
Necropolis
Night of Pleasure
The Unholy Two
These are ALL Columbus, OH bands.... Sweet.
Who was it who was potentially offering a bass rig on this string? We still need one if you're still up for loaning/renting it out... Our slot on the Shell Shag party lineup is 1:40 pm...
Shit James you know I'm gonna be at the Hook or Crook showcase, if I can get my ass in!! Can ya help a sista out??? (If we don't get the free wristband hookup from Elisa...) I gotta see you guys play, it's been so long. Sorry I've been such a sporadic Goner, but I've actually been having to WORK lately... SIGH>>>
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 12:48 pm

that's not james, he's no longer in the golden boys either
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 1:07 pm

What is CDR?
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 1:09 pm

columbus discount records
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 1:32 pm

Oh. Thanks, Bruce!
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 1:56 pm

that's not james, he's no longer in the golden boys either
OOPS! Sorry, Golden Boy!
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 2:25 pm

Hey wendy! I'll still be there. ChrisO wants me to babysit and steve and lisa are staying out at my place.
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 2:28 pm

and maybe jimmy hole!
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 3:36 pm

Hey wendy! I'll still be there. ChrisO wants me to babysit and steve and lisa are staying out at my place.
SWeet. Babysitting's always good! I can't wait to see y'all- looking forward to hangin' in TX!
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 11:12 am

Anybody have a slot for the Mary Anns on Friday? We'd have to borrow equipment.... Anybody? ANYBODY? We just figure we'd like to do that if we could, since we'll be down there anyways....
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 1:59 am | Edited by: Mullett

ooks there is going to be a hook or crook show afterall, wednesday night at Lambert's www.lambertsaustin.com

haunted george
the mirrors
golden boys
hank iv
The CDR $HOWCA$E is downstars at Lambert's the same night as the hook or crook showcase.
NO $HIT!!!!

El Jesus de Magico
Guinea Worms
Necropolis
Night of Pleasure
The Unholy Two

Kills me that I am going to miss this. Also fun would be the Necropolis/True Sons show in Memphis a night or two before. I think Night of Pleasure is on that bill as well.

SXSW was awesome when I attended. Awesome bands everywhere & I couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting someone I knew. I'd like to take the girl one year & go to the film festival.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®