Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / The Golden Compass...
Posted: Nov 26, 2007 8:08 pm

Anyone else stoked?! The trailers look pretty good so far, and the books are great... I mean, how can you not love a young adult fantasy trilogy based on Milton wherein the main character is a 13 yr old girl who sets out to kill god?

PARTY!
Posted: Nov 26, 2007 8:36 pm

Polar bears in armor? I'm stoked!
Posted: Nov 26, 2007 8:42 pm

You should read the books. Really smart and not dumbed down at all. The author is this guy Philip Pullman who's an avowed atheist and has called the Narnia books nothing more than poorly written poisonous crap. The trilogy is based on heavily on Paradise Lost and the works of William Blake. I am a bit worried that the movies will have to tone down some of the more radical ideas of the books, but that's Hollywood I guess.
Posted: Nov 26, 2007 9:01 pm

Although they are YA ... the only people that have any interest in the books (at least at my library) seem to be men between the age of 30 and 50... hmm.
Posted: Nov 26, 2007 9:07 pm

Really? My 13 yr old cousin digs 'em, and my roommates 14 yr old sister too. But I mean, yeah, a lot of the subtleties are probably lost on the target audience.
Posted: Nov 26, 2007 9:08 pm

seem to be men

i do sort of think it's weird that Pullman's other YA trilogy is also about a teenage girl...
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 5:57 pm

The books are great. Apparently, all the anti-religious stuff has been reworked entirely for the movies - so don't expect much from it in that sense. Still, the trailers look good. I fucking love the armored polar bear fights! And yeah - I'm a man between 30-50. Go figure.
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 6:20 pm

Ha! I'm still under 30!!
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 9:52 pm

i can't wait till those polar bears gang bang that 13 year old girl.
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 11:26 pm

i can't wait till those polar bears gang bang that 13 year old girl.

. . . on God's corpse!
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 1:25 am

That kind of book and movie drive me up the wall!
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 1:28 am

That kind of book and movie drive me up the wall!

Reconsider. They are REALLY good. I don't even read fantasy, don't care about Hobbits, etc. But for an educated, critical reader, these are quite rewarding.
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 1:31 am

don't care about Hobbits

wait. Wait. WAIT! WHAT!!!
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 1:44 am

It's true.
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 1:47 am

Well, maybe I will reconsider this particular movie/book, cos I don't care about Hobbits either. In fact, Hobbits and weird dragons and mythical so and so's bore me to pieces. Gold helmets on polar bears and wildly Photoshopped lobby posters and unrelenting digitized mania...good lord. Just can't do it!
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 1:51 am

The books are really good...guaranteed to be banned at a grade school near you.
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 2:08 am

Yeah, I can't stress enough the crazy subversive nature of the books. And aside from trying to kill god, the 13 yr old girl protagonist smokes, gets drunk, and has sex. Not your everyday fantasy/young adult bullshit. Also recommended: any of Pullman's essays and/or interviews he's given. Just his views on Narnia/Lord of the Rings are pretty interesting (esp. for non-fantasy nerds).
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 2:14 am

I watched on the extras on Lord of the Rings dvds that CS Lewis and Tolkien were good friends. I thought Tolkien was more "mystical" and Lewis was just a bible thumper. Don't like narnia, even if I did as a kid, now I see it for what it is.... but Tolkien is another story...

Anyway, I need to read these books.
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 2:19 am

Hobbits and weird dragons and mythical so and so's bore me to pieces

Tsk, tsk...*

*Thanks again, Donkey.
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 2:21 am

narnai bored me but lewis's religious writings are on par with any other anglican of this century

i mean last

he thumps nothing; he's a brilliant writer

tolkien i always thought was best suited for smart pot smoking teen boys

i am none of those
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 2:24 am

Now Stands when you put that together...I gotta reconsider my entire fortitude! YOW!
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 2:31 am

Pullman's take on Tolkien is that he's presenting an obviously Christian story under the guise of something a bit more academic, whereas Lewis is just cribbing from every other fantasy writer to create a thinly veiled biblical allegory. He's said that the difference is that CS Lewis asks important questions, but that his answers are bullshit, and the Tolkien simply avoids any sort of intellectual discourse at all, preferring to offer up a safe, non-critical view of the world/times.

From and interview with MTV: "For Tolkien, the Catholic, the Church had the answers, the Church was the source of all truth, so 'Lord of the Rings' does not touch those big deep questions," Pullman said. "The 'Narnia' books are fundamentally more serious than 'Lord of the Rings,' which I take to be a trivial book."
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 4:26 am

but seriously folks, all academic discourse aside. i can't wait till those polar bears gang bang that 13 year old girl.
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 6:54 am

POLAR BEARS IN ARMOUR!!!
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 1:23 pm

I fought an armoured polar bear once- wasn't as exciting as I thought it'd be... Of course it was really drugged up and it cost me A LOT of $$$
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 4:33 pm

dooood! jack, will you produce the video for my new hit single "wizard of bras"?
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 4:37 pm

and unrelenting digitized mania

this is exactly what i can't stand about these movies.
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 4:48 pm

Pullman's take on Tolkien is that he's presenting an obviously Christian story under the guise of something a bit more academic, whereas Lewis is just cribbing from every other fantasy writer to create a thinly veiled biblical allegory. He's said that the difference is that CS Lewis asks important questions, but that his answers are bullshit, and the Tolkien simply avoids any sort of intellectual discourse at all, preferring to offer up a safe, non-critical view of the world/times.

the thing about Tolkien is that he was a history buff & a language nerd (or a "philologist" if you will - ha!.. just learned that term)... & he was actually more interested in creating the imagined languages, 'history', & 'culture' of Middle Earth than anything else - the story always kinda seemed like an afterthought to me.... still liked 'em as a kid though... but I like dragons & ogres & stuff....
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 7:18 pm

jack, will you produce the video for my new hit single "wizard of bras"?

I made the song, Donkey made the video!
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 7:40 pm

enhanced split single, then!
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 7:43 pm

on lazor disc!!!
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 11:12 pm

seriously, I loved these books. I thought they were brilliant and I cried my eyes out at the end. very lovely cosmology.

i'm sure that the movies will suck all the antichristianity out, which is sad, but damn those armored bears are rad.

i hope the witches are cool too.

i bet they cut out how "god" was just the first angel and then he got senile and the other angels hid him away...

stupid damn angels.
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 8:26 pm

Hey lovers of the books,

Philip Pullman is currently working on "The Book of Dust", which is a collection of short stories about the various characters from His Dark Materials, apparently set before, during, and after the events of HDM.
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 8:51 pm

Yeah, I heard about that shit. He was in Chicago giving a lecture recently, but the tickets sold out so fast you'd a thought he was the Beatles.
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 10:57 pm

"More popular than God" indeed.
Posted: Dec 8, 2007 5:35 pm

Well, they fucked that up.
Posted: Dec 8, 2007 5:49 pm

so you saw the movie then?
Posted: Dec 8, 2007 6:42 pm

I saw it last night, and it was only okay. They moved a lot of stuff around from the book. The Witches just kind of show up and are not explained. They cut most of the Gyptian stuff too. No Fens. Plus, the cut almost all of the last two chapters of the book out completely. The armored bear stuff was cool. Definitely the most kid unfriendly part.

I didn't see any remnants of the anti-religious sentiment from the book. The only possible trace amount is use of the word heretic. Overall, I give it a solid B. For what it's worth.
Posted: Dec 8, 2007 7:44 pm

Some SPOILERS below.

I fucking hated it. Nothing that makes the books so moving is retained in the film version. So the kids are getting cut from their daemons, who cares? It's never apparent why that would be a fate worse than death. When they find Billy Costas, they just "Don't worry, we'll get your daemon back" like it's not a big deal. He doesn't even die. Also, there was no explanation about why it was important for Iorek to get his throne back, or what had happened to the bear kingdom since he left, or why/how Lyra was able to trick him.

I will say that I thought it was almost perfectly cast, and looked really good. They just butchered the story beyond recognition.
Posted: Dec 8, 2007 8:54 pm

Stanislaus Grumman, also known as John Parry, or Jopari, is Will Parry's father, an explorer, and a former officer in the Royal Marines. He leaves our world on an expedition into the far North, in which he finds one of the many trans-dimensional windows, leading to the world from which Lyra Belacqua originates. When he gets there, he becomes a shaman, and receives a ceremonial hole in his skull. Though not born in the world of external dćmons, he somehow acquires one: a female osprey named Sayan Kötör, who disappears when he dies. Lee Scoresby gives his life to save him, and eventually he meets up with his son, but he is shot down by a vengeful witch whose love he once spurned. Grumman's pseudonym is a possible allusion to Stanislaw Ulam, the renowned nuclear physicist.

w.t.f.?!?
Posted: Dec 8, 2007 10:30 pm | Edited by: clif

In the book, I thought Stanislaus Grumman was an explorer who became an adapted Tarter to study their culture and he got the trepidation hole as an initiation ceremony?

I haven't read the books in a while either.
Posted: Dec 8, 2007 11:05 pm

i personally dislike the movie's premise but that's unimportant. major complaint for me is that it's completely pussy shit to cut the balls of all the stuff in the book that makes it interesting. and it's totally not an appropriate movie for kids even if the meat and potatoes are left out. but that's just cuz i have kids.
Posted: Dec 9, 2007 5:17 am

Really? My 13 yr old cousin digs 'em

My 11 year old has read them. My mother called today to inform me that I am "encouraging him to not believe in god". I take it that her church group must be up in arms over this.
Posted: Dec 10, 2007 2:30 am

POLAR BEARS IN ARMOUR!!!

This dude can make it happen:

URL
Posted: Dec 10, 2007 2:29 pm

POLAR BEARS IN ARMOUR!!!

This dude can make it happen:

THAT is awesome.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®