Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Hey, Northerners...
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 4:38 am

Kerosene space heaters in the house; yea or nay?
Trying to come up with ways to bypass gas central heat & air.
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 4:49 am

Why don't you try insulation. Actually, I did live in a country that didn't generally have heat and used a kerosene heaters quite a bit there. Wasn't exactly toasty and stank when I had to fill it but could give you something to drink on the side. We had one of those radiator like ones. I would imagine there are more efficient ones nowadays. In my current house, I like to warm the odd, non-compliant "bedroom" with an electric heater, which does quite nicely but probably not so great on the bill. My fave of late is the tip-proof Vornado. I still think gas is the way to go and spend some money weather-proofing your house. I did have a buddy who had an old, drafty bungalo pay some outrageous amount to have some idiots drill holes and blow shit up each stud bay, but it hasn't paid off for him really. Updating windows is great, but expensive (I did that last year on some of my older, opaque windsocks - did great on sound and killed about $30 a month on the gas bill). Wear your long johns.
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 4:56 am

Kerosene space heaters in the house; yea or nay?

no
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 5:06 am

Yeah, I suppose a more direct answer would be what she said.

They stink and really don't do that great a heating job unless they are some open-element type of affair - something that doesn't mix with children or your stacks of the Flyer. If you have a smallish room and can close the door, go for the electric.
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 5:33 am

i have two 1500 watt electric ceramic heaters, got at wal mart for less than 20 bucks each and they keep the whole house toasty warm. its 28 outside, 71 inside.

kerosene is for the garage or something, wide open spaces.
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 6:06 am

doesn't mix with children or your stacks of the Flyer.

i was gonna say that, actually...
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 6:11 am

I don't know that I'd consider myself a "Northerner", but I live in New York so I guess I live up North.

The previous owner of our apartment removed some of the radiators (go figure). So we're only running on half the radiators. When it gets really cold we have to suppliment the heat from the building.

We bought two DeLonghi electric oil radiators. They work very well.

http://www.shopdelonghi.com/products/heaters/oil_filled_radiators
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 6:17 am

FYI-

Those "electric oil radiators" are electric space spece heaters. They do not in any way connect to your home's "radiator system". They are on wheels and plug into an electrical outlet. Looking at the photos, it could be deceiving.
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 6:59 am

NAY!

I burned my hand something terrible as a kid on the top of one of a kerosene heater. Emergency room, bandages for weeks, etc.

And, recently, yeah, ceramic disc heaters have been saving me from an ineffective landlord situation... They warm up large spaces quite well.
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 7:20 am

spaceheater only raised my electric bill by ten dollars during october, usually the gas bill would be a hundred for the same time of year...
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 7:27 am

Damn, pheezy! Sorry to hear that, man.
Yeah, I got one and tested it in the garage. Puts out some heat, but man, it stinks after awhile.
I've got some electric heaters last year, towards the end of the real cold spell, but I guess I'm gonna have to man up and get the central heat fixed soon.
C.H.A. is a racket, though. It's one of those appliances that (at least in TN) only a "certified professional" can purchase the parts. I never said I'd install them myself, but a dude should be able to buy them.
One time, the "sparker" for the gas heat had to be replaced. Merely an allen-wrench shaped rod with a ceramic guard around it that also held another strip of metal. Two wires coming off of the piece. After "certified dude" bought it, it was well above 200 for just the part; no labor included.
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 7:29 am

Anyway, thanks y'all.
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 7:32 am

my electric bill was over $200 during the month i was gone....
i have no idea why...
where should i look?
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 7:35 am

Faucets dripping.
Water heater.
Gas (most expensive) or electric? (could be a leak)
Exceded chopped-up body limit for trash removal.

These are just a few lessons I've learned as a homeowner.
Also, that you can get gouged for no good reason.
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 7:52 am

Water heater.

probably that. my sister does a LOT of laundry. daily.
she asked me: is it your DSL that made the electric bill so high?
but i think its the water heater.
good call.

Exceded chopped-up body limit for trash removal.

we have a doberman. no trash removal for dead bodies necessary
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 7:59 am

my sister does a LOT of laundry.

The jesus-freak one? Still trying to wash away the sin, I suppose?
Tell her the Tide may move the stone one day, but not before her reckoning.
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 8:02 am

(TM) on that proverb, by the way. I'm going to work out some deal between Proctor and Gamble and the 700 Club.
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 8:10 am

scoffers and mockers shall not be tolerated.
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 8:12 am

"The devising of foolishness is sin, and the scoffer is an abomination to men." Proverbs 24:8 9
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 8:12 am

ALL the GAIN you make shall be for naught, as the SHOUT of the lord will smite you like an ARM & HAMMER.
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 8:13 am

jack stands... remember when your kid was 5?
we gotta 5 year old here.
laundry-a-rama
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 8:15 am

Don't WISK my CHEER away. Let's SNUGGLE.
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 8:16 am

I'm sorry, TK, I missed that. I thought you were talking to AJAXtands.
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 8:19 am

I need to BOUNCE back. This all bringing me DOWNY.
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 8:21 am

WOOLITE feel much better. Infact, I feel FAB.
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 8:21 am

"Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them" (Romans 16:17).
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 8:24 am

Only those who SURF shall be PUREx.
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 8:28 am

SWIFT is the SPRAY 'N WASH of the ocean of his love.
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 8:29 am

...love as pure as the IVORY SNOW.
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 8:32 am

Well, I'm feeling XTRA tired. I'm going to bed. It's the end of an ERA.
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 9:08 am

ajax laundry detergent is stronger then dirt
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToNNpP6DVsw
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 11:43 am

STRONGER THAN DIRT
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 11:44 am

Posted: Nov 24, 2007 11:48 am

"Ajax cleans like a white tornado!"

First featured in a 1963 TV spot for the Colgate-Palmolive Company, the "White Knight" (called by the industry the worst campaign of that year) went on to become one of television's most successful.
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 3:11 pm

if I was building a new house or something I'd go with this stuff. thought about trying to retrofit my house with it but it seemed like a hassle.
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 3:32 pm

Propane Propane

Propane Propane

Of course you might die of carbon monoxide poisoning.

I got one of those vornado heaters at walmart. All the research I could find raved on em. It cost 68.00 and I thought I'd rather pay $70 for something that works than pay $30 for a hunk of shit.
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 4:06 pm

This one time, at band camp, my old man set up hay bales in the front yard cuz it was below zero & the pipes would often freeze & there was plastic PVC frankensteined to the normal metal piping so you couldn't hit one end with a welder (discovered when a PVC joint melted upon treatment), so anyway, hay bales in the dug out snow and a big rocket kerosene heater at the head of the alley. Sitting in the living room while ma & pa were gone, I saw a column of smoke pouring into the air. The bales & the heater were blazing & the flames were coming right at the house. I went outside, unplugged the heater, dragged it by the cord away from the area and put it out with snow as the bales continued to burn. The (volunteer) fire cheif lived right next door (no other neighbors out in the sticks) & I ran next door to see Myrv through the front picture window (in clear view of the blaze) eating a donut and drinking a soda. I pounded on the door and said our house was feet away from going up in flames, and he looked at me like I was crazy. I pointed out the window, and by the time he came over, the bales were glowing coals & the flames were down to a few feet.

The heater was saved, but was now mostly black with a touch of the original color on the back. Morals - those heaters are tough. Don't place combustable material near a heater. Guys named Myrv make bad firemen.

Myrv (who was B'hai) had a son who ended up as an infamous GB criminal, because he owned some bars and was caught drugging women and filming them doing noodies.
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 10:37 pm

We're using plug-in radiators (one in each room), and plan on adding insulation in the attic ASAP. Anyone know the best way to go about this? I've been researching it, and adding rolls of it between the rafters is simple enough, but is it supposed to be in between the rafters on the ceiling too? And what do we do about the semi-finished part of the floor? How the heck do we get it under there? I wonder how much it costs to have someone just come blow that shit up there and will it be compatible with an attic fan? Being a homeowner sucks sometimes...
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 10:42 pm

Myrv (who was B'hai) had a son who ended up as an infamous GB criminal, because he owned some bars and was caught drugging women and filming them doing noodies.

What was the name of that place he owned? I think it was scientifically created to create confusion among patrons, just in case the roofies failed. More smoke and lasers than I've ever seen.
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 10:55 pm

and adding rolls of it between the rafters is simple enough, but is it supposed to be in between the rafters on the ceiling too? And what do we do about the semi-finished part of the floor?

Do one or the other, not both. Those things in the floor are called "joists", not "rafters". Rafters are those things supporting the roof. They usually say not to do it between rafters but mainly that's because it can hide leaks and when it gets wet it's a real mess. If the attic is not habitable, put loose material between the joists. If you have old knob and tube wiring for your ceiling lights, do not put anything near them as they put out heat to cool themselves. If you are using the attic as living space, then you might consider using the loose stuff on the uninhabited joist bays and using something different between the habitable rafter bays, like the thin insulating board. Be sure, whatever you do, not to block vents under the eaves. You attic is much like an elephant's ears - they are what allows your house to breath and regulate it's temperature.

Fuck y'all, I'm off to snort some kero.
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 11:38 pm

No to kerosene heaters. Some of the newer space heaters crank out a lot of heat and don't cost much to run. Heat bills around here get up into the 250 a month range in the dead of winter...

"PUT ANOTHER SHIRT ON IF YOUR COLD!"
Posted: Nov 25, 2007 12:15 am

i lived over a garage my last winter in memphis and just used two of the oil filled electric radiators. they were amazing and use very little electricity.

we have "free heat" up here which means that it's approximately 55 in my house all day. i work at home, so that means sitting in bed on the laptop with fingerless gloves on. and like, 6 layers. and it's only 40 out. ugh.
Posted: Nov 26, 2007 12:34 pm

gas bill is $15 a month
nothin but a pilot light

polar fleez and sweaters
Posted: Nov 26, 2007 3:11 pm

The War of Northern Kerosene Space Heater Agression II!
Posted: Nov 26, 2007 3:55 pm

Confirmed - the old man still uses the charred kerosene heater. Adam, I can't remember what that place was called, and he had another bar as well. I saw him outside the "laser" bar 2 days before hearing that shit on the radio, talked to him for a half hour or so and he told me to stop in certain days for free drinks (was I next????). He always seemed like a nice kid, we were all shocked...but the family was fucked.
Posted: Nov 26, 2007 4:11 pm

my current apartment looks like it use to have radiator heaters but they were removed and to make the job easier for the ass who was in charge, they installed ceiling vents through the attic instead of installing them in the floor or lower walls. the ceilings are 9 or so ft. high and the heat never has a chance to make it down to the floor. you can feel the temp change as you sit on the couch or stand up. luckily i can keep the thermostat at 68 or 70 and it keeps the place relatively warm but its also a good thing i have long underwear and sweaters. also, its a good thing im moving out soon.
Posted: Nov 26, 2007 4:53 pm

My downstairs neighbor must like her apartment really hot, and I am glad about that. Between her and the sunlight, the thermostat reads 70 in here, without me having to turn my heat on! I hope I can get away without having to use heat that I have to pay for all winter!
Posted: Nov 26, 2007 7:40 pm

Hey Theresa - here in BC, that $200 electric bill might be a sign that someone is hijacking your power for their grow-op.
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 8:44 pm

Electric Space Heaters! on sale now at Meijer.
www.meijer.com
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®