Posted: Nov 24, 2007 4:06 pm
This one time, at band camp, my old man set up hay bales in the front yard cuz it was below zero & the pipes would often freeze & there was plastic PVC frankensteined to the normal metal piping so you couldn't hit one end with a welder (discovered when a PVC joint melted upon treatment), so anyway, hay bales in the dug out snow and a big rocket kerosene heater at the head of the alley. Sitting in the living room while ma & pa were gone, I saw a column of smoke pouring into the air. The bales & the heater were blazing & the flames were coming right at the house. I went outside, unplugged the heater, dragged it by the cord away from the area and put it out with snow as the bales continued to burn. The (volunteer) fire cheif lived right next door (no other neighbors out in the sticks) & I ran next door to see Myrv through the front picture window (in clear view of the blaze) eating a donut and drinking a soda. I pounded on the door and said our house was feet away from going up in flames, and he looked at me like I was crazy. I pointed out the window, and by the time he came over, the bales were glowing coals & the flames were down to a few feet.
The heater was saved, but was now mostly black with a touch of the original color on the back. Morals - those heaters are tough. Don't place combustable material near a heater. Guys named Myrv make bad firemen.
Myrv (who was B'hai) had a son who ended up as an infamous GB criminal, because he owned some bars and was caught drugging women and filming them doing noodies.