Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Movies you thought were good when you were a teenager
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 6:10 pm | Edited by: Windy

We watched Necessary Roughness last night on tv because we remembered that as teenagers we thought it was good!!!
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 7:24 pm

I thought Hackers was pretty bad-ass when I was a teenager. Johnny Mnemonic too. I'll still watch either if they're on tv...but I think I'd probably think they were really dumb if I saw them first as an adult.
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 7:38 pm

slc punk. one of those kids from scream is in it. i think.
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 8:06 pm

I thought Hackers was pretty bad-ass when I was a teenager.
Angelina looked so awesome in that movie.
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 8:09 pm

I would contribue to this thread but Jack Stands would point out that the movies that came out when I was a teenager were all in black & white and were silent.
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 8:13 pm

but Jack Stands would point out that the movies that came out when I was a teenager were all in black & white and were silent.

Oh, come now. I wouldn't go that far. Sure, the theatres might have been black and white, but the movies probably mixed the colors together...
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 8:14 pm

warriors.

i recently re-watched it. it doesn't age well.

i've recently been wondering if i would still like "my bodyguard" (high school bully movie with matt dillon). i'm thinking not.
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 8:24 pm

I watched "the last starfighter" yesterday and kept laughing & finally had to turn it. I used to LOVE that movie.
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 8:27 pm

the last starfighter
yeah. that one.
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 8:28 pm

watched the last half of running on empty a little while back, and while it didn't age too well, the ending still made me tear up
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 8:32 pm

i still love the burbs
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 8:40 pm

running on empty

Is that the wrestling movie??
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 8:47 pm | Edited by: Windy

no it's the movie about the radical parents on the run from the FBI for a bombing. river phoenix plays one of their sons -gets into julliard on the sly. martha plimpton plays his love interest
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 8:50 pm

breakfast club
heathers
red dawn
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 8:52 pm

i LOVED red dawn! not sure if i would love it now though...

what about:

Legend of Billie jean - i swear we watched that 5,000 times the one summer we had HBO
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 8:56 pm

no it's the movie about the radical parents on the run from the FBI for a bombing. river phoenix plays one of their sons -gets into julliard on the sly. martha plimpton plays his love interest

Ahhh, yes. I remember that now... What about "Gleaming the Cube" with our old buddy Christian Slater?
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 8:57 pm

of course - i had a mad crush on him back then. gleaming the cube was the "edgy" movie.

plus one of my all time teenaged faves - pump up the volume
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 8:59 pm

Gleaming the Cube! Yes!
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 9:00 pm

pump up the volume
wasn't there a boob in that one?
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 9:00 pm

gleaming the cube was the "edgy" movie

With Tony Hawk! Remember he was one of the skating pizza guys who helped CS with his quest to avenge his korean brothers death??
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 9:02 pm

my parents rented "Eat The Rich" when i was like 12 or 13, and it changed my life. probably a really bad movie in reality. but lemmy lemmy lemmy!! i really want to see it again to see if anything besides lemmy and motorhead is good about it.
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 9:03 pm

yes - christian slater
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 9:06 pm

Posted: Nov 19, 2007 9:06 pm

yes! samantha mathis.

bowie - the millionaire thinks we should just go ahead and exchange phone numbers so we can discuss our teen- aged movie star crushes.
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 9:07 pm

Birth of a Nation.

I remember seeing it when it came out. Still my favorite movie. Call me sentimental.
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 9:07 pm

you probably mean these ones.

yeah - except there is a shot where she pulls her sweater over her head - you can see them full on
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 9:28 pm

bowie - the millionaire thinks we should just go ahead and exchange phone numbers so we can discuss our teen- aged movie star crushes

Sounds like we were living in parallel universes! How old are you?? I am 32..
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 9:31 pm

Sounds like we were living in parallel universes! How old are you?? I am 32..

yep - same here.
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 9:32 pm

plus one of my all time teenaged faves - pump up the volume

i listened to the soundtrack OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER... it ALMOST convinced me that i should like concrete blonde.
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 9:33 pm

"Birth of a Nation. I remember seeing it when it came out. Still my favorite movie. Call me sentimental."

Seamus,i'll see your Birth of a Nation and raise you my Train Arriving At The Station. We really thought an actual train was coming towards us and stampeded right out of the Nickelodeon!
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 9:38 pm

i've recently been wondering if i would still like "my bodyguard" (high school bully movie with matt dillon). i'm thinking not.

It holds up for me...I love that movie...so much.
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 10:04 pm

Joe- yer a nickelodeon. Seamus- yer a goofball.
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 10:08 pm | Edited by: saispas

Holds up; saw it about a month ago on cable. I also loved Meatballs. Chris Makepeace was adorable.

How does Rivers Edge hold up? And Little Darlings?
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 10:08 pm

Saw Quicksilver not too long ago. Kevin Bacon trying to break away from the fast paced living of the NY stockbroker.... decides to become a *gasp* bike messenger.

Wait- do you think we all saw these movies and believed them and thats why many of us are bartenders, servers, maybe even *gasp* bike messengers? Because growing up in the 80's we rebelled and don't care about the money?? Did KB send us the wrong message as children?? Or the right one? Just something to think about.... But I think we were brainwashed!!
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 10:11 pm

I also loved Meatballs

one of the best teen movies anywhere/anytime. i saw that movie over & over & over.........
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 10:20 pm

Revenge of the Nerds. And it's still funny.
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 10:23 pm

Well, I wasn't a teenager when I saw it but I thought "Sixteen Candles" was a great teenager movie. I saw it about 4 times.
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 10:23 pm

I was a latecomer to Revenge of the Nerds (in my 30s the first time I saw it) and it is easily one of the best comedies ever.
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 10:26 pm

warriors.

Stop talking crazy, why would you say such a crazy thing.
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 10:40 pm

Posted: Nov 19, 2007 10:47 pm

I was a latecomer to Revenge of the Nerds (in my 30s the first time I saw it) and it is easily one of the best comedies ever.

Some comedies don't translate well from adolescence into adulthood, but this one stands the test of time and, most importantly, maturity.

"Those nerds are a threat to our way of life!"

I saw Trading Places a few months ago, and while parts were funny, it wasn't nearly as hilarious as I had remembered. Speaking of Trading Places, on to the nudity thread.
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 10:49 pm

Revenge of the Nerds

Most impotantly it has Rabbi Dan's hero Deezen in it. Rev it the fuck up!
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 10:55 pm

breakfast club
heathers
red dawn

i loved all these, but red dawn was my favorite of them.

Seamus,i'll see your Birth of a Nation and raise you my Train Arriving At The Station. We really thought an actual train was coming towards us and stampeded right out of the Nickelodeon!

ha.

Gleaming the Cube!

i thought this movie was the total shit when i saw it the first time. heheh. i haven't seen it again in years though.

warriors.

Stop talking crazy, why would you say such a crazy thing.

i must say i have to agree with davie on that one. although, i never did see it until last year.

meatballs

i just recently got that movie on vhs from the thrift store. i love it.
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 10:55 pm

I bet D Herc is all over this one.

Explorers!!!
What the hell? Just last night I was talking about this movie with my bro-in-law.

It's really weird that this thread was posted today cause last night we had a birthday party for my mom and some of us ended up in fromt of the tv watching E.T., which I hadn't seen in about ten years. It was pretty great.
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 10:56 pm

War Games seemed neato and deep when I saw it at the theater at age 16. Now it just looks goofy and Matthew Broderick is annoying.
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 11:01 pm

Matthew Broderick

I wanna watch Project X again and see if it still makes me feel as bad for the monkeys.
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 11:04 pm | Edited by: Hugh Jass

And Little Darlings?
What about Foxes? Scott Baio, Jodie Foster, and Cherie Currie? It must still rule!

And how 'bout Bugsy Malone? Baio and Foster again. I was only 9 when I saw it at the theater- by myself- and I loved it, because I'm gay for musicals. But when I saw it on TV recently for the first time in almost 30 years, I still liked it, but it was really weird and creepy. From the IMDB plot synopsis: "A gangster movie where all the gangsters are children. Instead of real bullets they use 'splurge guns' that cover the victim in cream."
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 11:13 pm

Bugsy Malone is almost better now; I took it very seriously at age 9, but recently it was funny as hell.

Revenge of the Nerds II is also pretty good; the beginning when they go into the hotel and the veddy, veddy snotty older woman shockingly complains to the management: "Thahs NERDS in this hotel!!!!!" Classic.
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 11:34 pm

ve recently been wondering if i would still like "my bodyguard" (high school bully movie with matt dillon). i'm thinking not.

i've gone 20 years without thinking of this movie and now this is the second reference to it i've seen in two days. odd.
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 11:42 pm

this is the second reference to it i've seen in two days

Same thing with me and Explorers...see above. Weird.
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 11:51 pm

Apple Dumpling Gang.
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 11:55 pm | Edited by: skank police

Light of Day...
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 12:14 am

warriors.

Maybe it's you who doesn't age well, 'cause The Warriors is awesome.

When I was in high school I thought "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka" was the shit. I watched it again a few months ago, and it was actually just shit.
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 12:25 am

The Chase.
Flight of the Navigator

I was right!
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 12:30 am

How does Rivers Edge hold up?
As a teenager I thought Glover, Hopper and the soundtrack were awesome.
I think this is probably what led up to the choice of Keanu, though.
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 12:35 am

When I was in high school I thought "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka" was the shit. I watched it again a few months ago, and it was actually just shit.

No fuckin' way! The Chris Rock scene is da bomb!

Rib place owner: My cups cost more than fifteen cents!
Rib place customer (Chris Rock): All right, fuck the cup. Pour it in my hand for a dime.
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 12:41 am

I watched UHF about a million times when I was growing up. I watched it again recently and I still laughed my ass off. It doesn't seem to impress people my age who have never seen it, though- I think it had to have been watched at an impressionable age the first time.

Wheel of fish!
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 12:50 am

i LOVED red dawn! not sure if i would love it now though...
i bought it recently and actually it was better than i remembered. big budget, high production values, decent acting.
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 12:52 am

the fist time i saw clockwork orange i was 13 and rented it to watch with my mom. she said "if theres one more rape im turning this shit off"
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 1:05 am

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 1:53 am

Less than Zero.
But I was VERY influenced by James Spader even then. Especially when he was being so mean and nasty, as he also was in Pretty in Pink.
And really, Robert Downey, Jr. is a pretty great actor. His portrayal of a REAL drug addict was so lifelike.
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 3:10 am

i though mo' money with the wayans brothers in it was pretty funny when i was a teenager. but mostly because of the one scene where they go into a shop and damon wayans is acting completely crazy and tearing shit up and the store owner wants him to get out and his brother says that it is because his blood sugar is going low and he needs a sandwich. so the owner makes him a turkey sandwich. i always wondered if i would do that, if it would work. that was in 1992, and most of you were older than a teenager, but i wasn't. :P heheh. i recently rewatched that and it was REALLY awful, but the sandwich shop scene i still laughed at.
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 3:15 am

great rock n roll swindle
got a copy on vhs from the local record store when i was 13.
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 3:53 am

"when you were a teenager"
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 4:02 am

You need to stop talking about the Apple Dumpling Gang already, Jack Stands.

If that is your "real" name.
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 4:42 am

Natural Born Killers
Pink Flamingos
Brady Bunch Movie
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 5:22 am

when i was a teenager, i thought THE MAGIC CHRISTIAN was a superb bit of filmmaking. i have memories of scenes... memories of lots of badfinger too (which is why i went to see the movie; that and RINGO!)

i'm not gonna see it now, though. it might be lame or worse yet... pretentious. but it IS peter sellers... anyone see it recently?
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 5:41 am

I thought the long-haired kid in Neverending Story was a girl, and, flat-chested or not, couldn't believe they let her vest flap open to show some nipples.
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 5:43 am

I also checked out Pink Flamingos from the public library, and they didn't care that I was only 17. Take that, Blockbuster!!
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 7:47 am

How does Rivers Edge hold up?

Saw it a few months ago. Still fucking great movie.

MOTHERFUCKER! FOODEATER!
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 7:58 am

The Kevin Costner movie Fandango was a favorite when I was in high school, especially the scene in which they hook the front of the Cadillac up to the back of the train, but when I saw it a few years back, it's just plain no good.

Ditto w/Witches of Eastwick. Why anyone went to see that pile of dung will remain a mystery equal to that of the pyramids.
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 8:16 am

I thought the long-haired kid in Neverending Story was a girl, and, flat-chested or not, couldn't believe they let her vest flap open to show some nipples.

Funny. I thought the same thing about Motley Crue on the Shout At The Devil album cover.
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 10:10 pm

Light of Day...

Saw this in the theaters! With my much older much squarer sis who DOES not like any sort of rock n roll (even the cheesey kind like in this movie). So, I loved it if just to spite her.

What was the other horrible music movie about the same time with the girl band whose members included Justine Bateman and Julia Roberts? Anyone remember that movie??
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 10:23 pm

While I haven't seen Evil Dead 2 real recently i'm sure it still rules. It might even be better than After The Fall Of New York and Yor: Hunter From The Future but that could be a stretch.
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 10:36 pm

While I haven't seen Evil Dead 2 real recently i'm sure it still rules.

It sure does.
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 10:46 pm

What was the other horrible music movie about the same time with the girl band whose members included Justine Bateman and Julia Roberts? Anyone remember that movie??
Satisfaction! P.U.! No thanks for making me remember that steaming pile. Compared to that flick, Light of Day looks better than This Is Spinal Tap.
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 11:14 pm

Satisfaction!

Ohhhh, yeah!
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 11:16 pm

Light of Day...

my sister is in that movie somewhere... yeesh
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 6:33 am

Satisfaction!

Ohhhh, yeah!

At one point I owned multiple VHS copies...not that long ago. My first EBAY outing...had no idea what I was doing...but didn't pay more than $2 each...gave 'em away for Christmas. It cracks me the hell up. "One band, one van, one summer...". I love the pill popper chick with the doberman.

Aaron Spelling masterpiece...with a Steve Cropper produced soundtrack....did he give Justine the cowbell for Mr. Bigstuff?
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 7:38 am

Maximum Overdrive, I love the traveling bible salesman almost dead in a ditch, yelling for help. "Adios motherfucker!" at the end is still crucial. Sink the pink.

The Wraith. Saw it in the theater, titties and lil Howard. Randy Quaid = Sheriff Loomis. I believe Clint and his buddy sniffed window washer fluid.

DW Griffith humor will never die.
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 12:26 pm

THE GOOD, THE BAD, THE UGLY on acid
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 1:06 pm

Reservoir Dogs and pretty much everything else Tarantino did.
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 9:29 pm

The Goonies is really annoying now. Also, the Lost Boys, but mosty for Kirk Cameron's crazy trenchcoat, and that asshole playing sax on the boardwalk.

Oh, and Night of The Comet. I used to love that movie.
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 9:44 pm

Robocop!
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 10:16 pm

I believe Clint and his buddy sniffed window washer fluid.

Clint Howard=Timmy Vulgar
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 10:33 pm

and that asshole playing sax on the boardwalk.

I had forgotten about this guy. Why did those kids all think that was cool?
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 10:59 pm

Kirk Cameron's crazy trenchcoat

THAT WAS NOT KIRK CAMERON!!!! I know, cause I had a huge crush on him when I was a kid.
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 11:32 pm

Anything with Cameron Mitchell in it. A true sign of quality.
Posted: Nov 22, 2007 12:14 am

The Goonies is really annoying now.

i still think it's good.
Posted: Nov 22, 2007 12:17 am

Kirk Cameron's crazy trenchcoat

THAT WAS NOT KIRK CAMERON!!!! I know, cause I had a huge crush on him when I was a kid.

Oh shit! You're right! What was I thinking? Corey Haim!
Posted: Nov 23, 2007 10:13 pm

I really liked 10 1/2 Weeks. Girls on Fire was good too.
Posted: Nov 23, 2007 11:05 pm

Repo Man. And it's STILL good.

-Ryan
Posted: Nov 23, 2007 11:49 pm

Rock-n-Roll High school
Texas Chainsaw Massicre
Exorcist
Mommy Dearest
This is Spinal Tap
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®