Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Dr. Doctor, PhD
Posted: Nov 10, 2007 11:00 pm

Any PhD-ers in the house? I need some advice ASAP for something stupid I'm about to do.
Posted: Nov 10, 2007 11:06 pm

roky

at
optonline.net
Posted: Nov 10, 2007 11:07 pm

I'm sending you an email right now.
Posted: Nov 10, 2007 11:08 pm

hope jerry is out of town hunting quail then
Posted: Nov 10, 2007 11:13 pm

i'm on my way to one. working on my master's currently. i dunno if i am stupid enough to continue though.
Posted: Nov 10, 2007 11:54 pm

Mr. Dr. by The Suicide Commandos rules!
Posted: Nov 11, 2007 1:06 am

you can call me too. i'm in town...
Posted: Nov 11, 2007 1:10 am

So basically, MF, you have the answer you are searching for.

(in other words, don't do it unless you are completely committed to a life in academia. If you are, then go for it...my brother is in year 3 of a post-doc/still writing dissertation/publishing so he can eventually get a real job)
Posted: Nov 11, 2007 4:02 pm

Nah, I feel lost if I'm not in school, so the commitment isn't the issue. My concern was the Statement of Purpose, which I have to do on short (ie., by Tuesday) notice. I've pretty much got the ideas, but they're pinging around in my head right now like a bunch of pinballs.
Posted: Nov 11, 2007 4:08 pm

School is for losers.
Posted: Nov 11, 2007 4:17 pm

I would like to get higher degrees, but 8 years from now, I'll still be paying off my school loans from the one I got. I can barely fathom going back. Other than staying in school for the rest of my life, paying the minimum amount, then some way weaseling my way to get tenure so I don't have to pay it back...
It gives me a headache thinking about it, but good luck to you.
Posted: Nov 11, 2007 4:34 pm

I'm going back to take a few classes next year so I can get certified to teach english abroad. I plan on having my summers free when I get my son off to college so it seems like a perfect plan for me to go work and travel.
Posted: Nov 11, 2007 4:57 pm

You can email me:
ijuvenile74@yahoo.com
with any grad/doctoral related questions.
jami
Posted: Nov 11, 2007 5:02 pm

certified to teach english abroad.
I am this. It is sort of a joke, but I guess most English schools want you to have it. Where are you planning on going? I went to barcelona, which was an great place to live, but a bad place to work as an american english teacher. I'd go to veitnam if I was doing it again.

As per school, I kinda of plan on being in it forever. I am getting my second BA right now and am planning on getting 2 masters aftr that.
Posted: Nov 11, 2007 5:04 pm | Edited by: saispas

I gotta write my "Career and Educational Statement" for the City Planning masters program on one to two pages which is hilarious; I'd love to see what some of the 21 year olds entering the program have to say; mine for my social work masters actually had hip hop lyrics in it (hey man, that shit works with the college folk).
I say drink some strong coffee or tea and get to typing. Then forward to people to proofread and edit then. You can do this. I will be glad to proofread it.
Posted: Nov 11, 2007 5:10 pm

drink some strong coffee or tea and get to typing
or take an adderall or snort a line
Posted: Nov 11, 2007 6:30 pm

or take an adderall or snort a line

I was being discreet!
Posted: Nov 11, 2007 9:02 pm

i can't even remember what i put on my statement. i don't remember writing it. i probably did it drunk or something like that, knowing me.
Posted: Nov 11, 2007 9:06 pm

I gotta write my "Career and Educational Statement" for the City Planning masters program on one to two pages which is hilarious

i used to edit and/or ghost write those things... if you want me to review yours, feel free to send
Posted: Nov 11, 2007 11:09 pm

I would truly appreciate that, TK. I will get back to you when it is closer to time. This one is really important because if I get an assistantship, I won't have to take on more debt to do this thing. Very huge.
Posted: Nov 12, 2007 11:12 pm

Posted: Nov 13, 2007 4:08 am

Thanks for the offers of help guys. I've got the sucker written and ready to go pending a review by a trusted writer friend. Unfortunately, given insane time constraints, major overhauls will be impossible. I guess like most things I do, I'll just have to send it in, cross my fingers and hope for the best! I can always reapply in January...
Posted: Nov 13, 2007 4:15 am

ugh. that reminds me i got to get to working on my GA application.
Posted: Nov 13, 2007 4:17 am

Thanks for the offers of help guys. I've got the sucker written and ready to go pending a review by a trusted writer friend. Unfortunately, given insane time constraints, major overhauls will be impossible. I guess like most things I do, I'll just have to send it in, cross my fingers and hope for the best! I can always reapply in January...

good luck

let me know
Posted: Nov 15, 2007 12:24 am

I'm in!!! Woohoo!!! Thanks so much for your help everybody. I will be cursing your names a few years into this...
Posted: Nov 15, 2007 9:02 pm

that was quick. what type of program did you apply to? Congrats!
Posted: Nov 17, 2007 12:03 am | Edited by: Miss Faye

I know. I was expecting a response after Thanksgiving or something. The program is Applied Linguistics.
Posted: Nov 17, 2007 12:19 am

GREAT!!!!

When do you begin? January?

I take the MAT January 14th (can you believe it only takes ONE HOUR?!?!? Yes.) and my application will be complete then. I have to have my letters and statement in by February and then I will know in the Spring whether I get an assistantship. I am seriously biting my nails...but hey, we can do this right???
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®