Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Intestinal Distress
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 3:11 am

Okay, folks...I'm getting pretty desperate here. I hate to put this out there (nothing worse than whining about being sick) but I really am in a bad way over here.

I have been sick for five weeks, and don't appear to be getting much better. It started with severe cramps, fever, some vomiting, and running to the bathroom every ten minutes. He put me on Flagyl and Cipro. Also did a CT scan that showed I had colitis and was told that it could have been brought on by salmonella or e-coli. My white count was way high. Got a little better. Got worse. He put me on Cipro again and another antibiotic used for traveler's runs. Scheduled me for a colonoscopy which showed nothing...well, it showed diverticulitis and they seemed totally unworried about that. "Eat fiber, exercise, eat fruits and vegetables." Got a little better again. Now I am worse.

I don't have c diff, I don't have ulcerative colitis. I've eaten the heck out of Greek yogurt. Like, every day for five weeks. I can't eat anything but soup, broth, and noodles or I get sick again. No fever or vomiting, but the bathroom thing every fucking fifteen minutes.

If anybody out there has any suggestions or has experienced anything similar please email me and let me know. As it is it's looking pretty bleak. The thought of no cheese or red wine (not to mention real food or ANY alcohol) indefinitely has me going nuts! I practically cannot leave the house!
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 3:26 am

gluten intolerance?

sounds crazy but I had a friend that suddenly developed symptoms like that upon returning from Europe. They eventually figured out she had gluten/wheat allergies.

The only thing I can't remember is whether or not she had fever. I know she had the runs, throwing up, cramps and the WORST gas. She was hospitalized at one point for dehydration.
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 3:32 am

I've actually thought of that.
After they said "eat fiber" I went out and bought a bunch of heavy fiber (whole wheat, bran, etc.) stuff. It made it worse.
So, isn't it really hard to avoid wheat/gluten? How do you go about that?

I don't think I've gotten dehydrated yet...but have lost fifteen pounds and am very pale and have no energy.

Thanks, Windy. This is what I need...a list of things I can ask the doc about when I see him next week. I mean, I'm even thinking parasites fercrissakes!
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 3:38 am | Edited by: Windy

it is really hard to eliminate from your diet. i remember that she had to pretty much throw out all the food in her house and start over; shop at natural food stores. basically nothing made from wheat is the biggest, but there are chemicals and ingredients in even stuff like candy that contain gluten/wheat. i can't remember it all.
[url=http://www.gluten.net/diet.htm]
this site[/url] might help, but it warns not to start a gluten free diet without being properly diagnosed...
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 3:41 am

Posted: Nov 9, 2007 3:53 am

Posted: Nov 9, 2007 5:33 am

So, isn't it really hard to avoid wheat/gluten? How do you go about that?

Yes, it is hard...esp if you have celiac disease. The intestines actually turn against themselves when you eat small amounts of gluten. Which is in Rye, Barley, spelt, wheat and a few other things. It's becoming easier though as 1 in 133 people actually have the disease, and even more have wheat allergies...so the restaurants and grocery manufacturers are catching on. Honestly, I think it's a business goldmine waiting to be cashed in on. I'm not celiac, but I've been gluten-free for 2 years. Once you get used to it...it gets WAY easier (except when other people are cooking for you). Go to a Gastroenterologist and get a diagnosis!!! I have cookbooks and lots of info if you need more too....

http://www.myspace.com/remasixteema
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 5:43 am

drink shitloads of water and take 1000x the reccomended dosage of vitamin c.
http://www.bodyandmind.co.za/merchant_nc.php?pid=464&step=4
http://www.toolsforhealing.com/CD/Articles/W/WaterCure.html
i never go to the doctor.
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 11:31 am

pilgrims foods is on line and I bought the ascorbic acid powder which I mix into some juice or ginger ale each day

i take up to 2 or 3 grams over the course of 24 hours
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 1:51 pm

Posted: Nov 9, 2007 1:54 pm

URL

I don't trust the Turks for what they did to the Armenians and the Chinese keep killing our babies with date rape chemicals in our toys but look here:
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 1:57 pm

fecal culture?

sounds like a band in Berlin
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 2:00 pm

Posted: Nov 9, 2007 2:00 pm

Good luck. Sorry for pain.
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 2:43 pm

Rema, I swear you need to be the healthy cooking Alton Brown.
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 4:45 pm

Posted: Nov 9, 2007 5:29 pm

Donkey, they don't think it's Crohn's because my small intestine is not involved.
Thanks, Dick. You're a regular donkey!

And thanks, all. I've done tons of research on a lot of this stuff. It's all over the web. But it just keeps getting more and more complicated the more you look into it. I mean, I'm actually thinking of trying that AMP stuff:
http://aloereviews.com/Forums/framehelper.aspx?g=posts&m=46

It never crossed my mind that one day I'd just not be able to eat anything without my insides blowing up. Jeesh...I'm really glad I made that lunch at Cozy Corner during Gonerfest!
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 5:49 pm

what about your gal bladder? I had a friend with the same type of symptoms and he had his gal bladder removed......
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 7:42 pm

IBS? I had similar symptoms (my stomach gave out on me after a year or so of abuse, directly following what I thought was a food poisoning incident) and I had to start taking prilosec and something else and it helped. Had to change my diet (not as good about it now as I should be) and after six months or so I got it under control. Had to drink citrusel (or however you spell) for years too. Only thing that got me through it was grass. Seriously, it is the only thing that can fix my stomach to this day as taking any kind of immodium or pepcid fucks me up worse. Horrible to deal with when you have shit to do but damn if it doesn't make you feel better. Couldn't have gotten through it without it.
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 7:57 pm

well, whatever it turns out to be, let us know!
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 7:58 pm | Edited by: Alisa

There's just tons of stuff to choose from, isn't there? A tick??

conner sewer, this sounds really, really close. What's prilosec? He put me on Previcid and it's helped that. Are those similar drugs?
Only thing that got me through it was grass. Seriously, it is the only thing that can fix my stomach to this day as taking any kind of immodium or pepcid fucks me up worse.
Ditto.

Thanks Windy!
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 7:59 pm

what about your gal bladder? I had a friend with the same type of symptoms and he had his gal bladder removed......

me too... and it took a really long time for the drs to diagnose.
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 8:00 pm

wait, I still have my gall bladder, my friend does not.
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 8:11 pm

A study in the Journal of Epidemiology (May, 1992) was reported to show that people who have high blood levels of vitamin C live 6 years longer than those who have lower blood levels! The Vitamin C Foundation states: "The optimum intake is likely to be in the region of 1,000 mg (1 gram) to 10,000 mg (10 grams) per day. If you are in the grips of cardiovascular disease, an infectious or immune system disease, or cancer the ideal level may be much higher. If you drink excessive amounts of alcohol, live in a polluted city, have a stressful lifestyle, take drugs including aspirin, or smoke, your optimal intake will again be raised. An intake of 200 to 300 mg of vitamin C per day is required to raise the average smoker's vitamin C level to that of a non-smoker. An intake of around 50 mg per cigarette probably affords maximum protection. Albert Szent Gyorgi, who isolated vitamin C in 1928, recommends 1 gram daily. Dr. Michael Colgan takes 5 grams daily. Dr. Linus Pauling takes 10 to 18 grams daily."

In his article, "Vitamin C: How Much Is Enough?" Patrick Holford states, "The immune system depends on having healthy immune cells and associate molecules such as antibodies. Vitamin C is essential for both. Antibody production increases on supplementing 1 gram of vitamin C. It is also needed for interferon, complement, and prostaglandin production, and is essential for the proper function of immune cells such as lymphocytes and leukocytes. A recent study showed, in the test tube, that vitamin C can even inactivate the HIV virus. Thanks to the work of Linus Pauling and coworkers we know that 10 grams of vitamin C doubles the life expectancy of cancer patients, and, in some cases effects a complete cure. Its role is even more pivotal in cardiovascular disease, which is now being postulated as the long-term consequence of vitamin C deficiency. Just about every marker of cardiovascular disease, arterial damage, high blood cholesterol levels, low HDL levels, high levels of oxidized cholesterol, thick blood are all improved by adequate vitamin C intake at levels up to 10 grams a day. Vitamin C increases resistance to stress, lessens allergic reactions, helps arthritic conditions, slows down the aging process and improves energy production. Beneficial effects of vitamin C in human trials tend to increase with the amount given up to, and above, 10 grams per day. On the basis of research into vitamin C's effect on disease states it would appear that an intake of somewhere between 1 and 10 grams may be optimal simply for maintaining optimal function of the immune, endocrine and cardiovascular system."

The US RDA for vitamin C is only about 90mg... this is FAR short of the optimum amount needed to act as an antioxidant, benefit heart function and support overall health. I would encourage you to consider taking additional vitamin C to support good health and well-being!
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 8:13 pm

Research shows that plain old water can actually be used in place of traditional medications to prevent and treat many diseases.

The link between our health and our intake of water is unquestionable. Recently, I found an interesting book called "Your Body's Many Cries for Water" by Dr. F. Batamanghelidiji. In 1979, this doctor was taken as a political prisoner in Iran and was set to be executed. While imprisoned, he was attempting to help his fellow prisoners with their medical problems and discovered the amazing healing powers of water. Using just water, he was able to cure stress induced peptic ulcers and relieve the pain of many degenerative diseases. Today, he's the leading expert on water and its miraculous ability to heal. According to his research, water can actually be used to prevent and reverse premature aging and eliminate pains from heartburn, migraines, arthritis, and angina. He says it can actually cure asthma and hypertension, among many other things.
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 8:16 pm

what about your gal bladder?
Gall bladder causes extreme abdominal pain radiating up through the diapraghm and even shoulder blade. That's what Andy Warhol died of. It hurts something awful . You feel like the Alien is about to pop out of your stomach. It about killed me in 1992. I also had a gallstone the size of a peach pit.
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 8:17 pm

Dump the Tums and cure heartburn.

Heartburn may be a signal of water shortage in the upper part of the gastrointestinal tract. It is a major thirst signal of the human body. The use of antacids or tablet medications in the treatment of this pain does not correct dehydration, and the body continues to suffer as a result of its water shortage.

Tragedy: Not recognizing heartburn as a sign of dehydration and treating it with antacids and pill medications will, in time, produce inflammation of the stomach and duodenum, hiatal hernia, ulceration, and eventually cancers in the gastrointestinal tract, including the liver and pancreas.

Colitis.

Colitis Pain is a signal of water shortage in the large gut. It is associated with constipation because the large intestine constricts to squeeze too much water from the excrements - thus the lack of water lubrication.

Tragedy: Not recognizing colitis pain as a sign of dehydration will cause persistent constipation, which can result in fecal impacting, verticulitis, hemorrhoids, polyps, and appreciably increase the possibility of developing cancers of the colon and rectum.
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 8:18 pm

Back pain.

Low Back Pain and Ankylosing Arthritis of the Spine may be signs of water shortage in the spinal column and discs - the spinal cushions that support the weight of the body. These conditions should be treated with increased water intake - not a commercial treatment, but a very effective one.

Tragedy: Not recognizing arthritis and low back pain as signs of dehydration in the joint cavities and treating them with pain-killers, manipulation, acupuncture, and eventually surgery will, in time, produce osteoarthritis when the cartilage cells in the joints have eventually all died. It will produce deformity of the spine. It will produce crippling deformities of the limbs. Pain medications have their own life-threatening complications.
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 8:21 pm

My wife was sick for almost a year before they diagnosed gall bladder...she went in for a million dollars worth of tests...I think the docs just wanted to run up a bill with the insurance company...finally went to the emergency room it got so bad...they diagnosed gall bladder right off the bat.
She was sick as hell...and now all better
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 8:32 pm

My wife was sick for almost a year before they diagnosed gall bladder
Same thing happened to me . They said I had a hiatal hernia. Fast forward two years-When I turned yellow as a lemon ,they thought hepatitis. Finally an ultra sound said gallbladder/stones. While I was operateed on, my quack surgeon pronounced pancreatic cancer . He told everybody in my family but me that I was in bad shape. The pathology tests came back four days later and said no cancer ,just an ugly pancreas. He still said he thought it was cancer. that was 15 years ago. Motherfuckin' quack.
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 8:55 pm

a political pundit and an amateur nutritionist? just great.
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 9:01 pm

drink alot of water and take 1000 times the reccomended dose of vitamin c.
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 9:13 pm

Hell, it just might be a slowly build up red whine allergie. There's funny stuff in there that agrees better with men than with women.

Or some cheese infection.

Well, seeing how heretofore my diet consisted of about 40% red wine and cheese then that's probably a pretty good guess.
Also, I ate "modified Atkins" for several years. I'm starting to think that (and red wine and cheese) are maybe what screwed me up.
I've had gallstones for years...and have thought maybe that's what is wrong. But the pain isn't like gallbladder pain. And there are all those other symptoms, too.

I'm definitely into throwing everything at my doc I can think of, or that y'all can think of too. I'm writing this all down on my little notepad that I've been whipping out at each visit.
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 9:26 pm

No!
Do not take extra vitamines! Esp no vitamine pills.

Hmmm...I bought some mofo vitamins today just because I feel like my current diet isn't providing me with ANY.
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 9:45 pm | Edited by: Golightly

Man....The Goner board is the BEST place to get medical advice...I'm firing my doctor...he has no idea what the B side of the white vinyl copy of the Butthash single put out 45 minutes ago is.
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 9:47 pm

eat a shitload of vitamin c. i stand by my statement.
http://www.orthomed.com/titrate.htm
September 2007 - A study funded by the NIH at John Hopkins University found that Vitamin C prevents the growth of cancer cells in an animal model, supposedly by the elimination of the HIF-1 (hypoxia-induced factor) protein, which is necessary for cancer growth in oxygen starved environments.[26]
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 9:54 pm

vitamin c makes me feel groovy!
look how healthy i am...hahaha
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 9:55 pm

I still have some records from you to review Missy Manchaster..

HUH?

he said youre a woman.

this thread is getting better and better...
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 10:05 pm

Heartburn may be a signal of water shortage in the upper part of the gastrointestinal tract. It is a major thirst signal of the human body.

this is true. once i started to drink more water, my heartburn went away for awhile. it immediately started back when i went back on my obscenely bad caffeine binging again and ditched water. i'm going to have to start drinking more water again. it's just hard to kick the coffee habit when you're only sleeping 4 hours a night due to stupid work schedules.

So also check for a tick.

a friend of mine had contracted lyme and had some really awful shit going on which sounds like what you got, but was also vomiting a lot too. so check on ya for a bite/tick.
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 10:05 pm

this thread is getting better and better..

Pot or Coffee?

Hue Blanc or Cococomas?
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 10:20 pm

Hell, it just might be a slowly build up red whine allergie.

i had been thinking sulfite allergy - but i already told you that, alisa

the thing is, sadly NO ONE knows - not doctors and not one of us lay people - about what's going on in our bodies sometimes... doctors can perform tests and they TRY to diagnose based on their education and experience and its just about as successful a grab bag as the goner board...

tomatoes MAY NOT be good for some people - certain blood types respond vastly differently to acid and alkaline. there's a whole lot of reading to do...

if you know your blood type, you may want to investigate a diet based on that... its like reading a phone book, that book - but it makes a lot of sense
the blood type diet...
Posted: Nov 9, 2007 10:35 pm

Research shows that plain old water can actually be used in place of traditional medications to prevent and treat many diseases.

i've mentioned this guy before and i have read 2 of his books: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kneipp_therapy
Posted: Nov 10, 2007 1:56 am

if goner can have a cookbook, why not a medical reference book?
Posted: Nov 10, 2007 2:13 am

Have you been checked for a tick?
Hate to say it, but he's possibly right. I seen your backyard.
Posted: Nov 10, 2007 5:10 pm

damn, Alisa, sorry to hear that. It sounds like they already pulled out the big guns (Flagyl, Cipro), so I really don't know. I got terribly ill about 5-6 years ago, lost about 10 lbs., looked and felt like shit, terrible reactions to all kinds of foods with no rhyme or reason. All signs pointed to me having some nasty parasite, but every test the gastro did turned up negative. I ended up going to my GP for something completely unrelated and he mentioned the weight loss. I told him what was happening and he informed me that tests for lots of parasites were completely unreliable and were prone to false negatives. He put me on Flagyl, and sure enough, within a few weeks I was gaining weight and thriving.

When I went back to the gastroenterologist , he still seemed skeptical and felt like I had some generalized irritable bowel syndrome since every test he'd performed (parasites, crohn's, colitis, etc, etc) had turned up negative. Like yeah, dude, you just fucking wake up one day with IBS. I don't buy it. All I knew was that I felt better.

Even so, I do think my body chemistry was somewhat altered forever during those months of hell. I've still got a fairly sensitive stomach and pretty much steer clear of dairy (except for 'hard' cheeses and yogurt) and these were never issues when I was younger.

So yeah, I'm not much help, except to say I'd probably get a second round of tests (esp for parasites), possibly from another doctor. And if they do put you on some hard-core antibiotics, make sure you rebuild your intestinal flora with some good pro-biotics (bifidus, l. casei, acidophilus, etc.)
Posted: Nov 10, 2007 5:18 pm | Edited by: Will

or you could try something like this,

It would likely suck and you'd have to be incredibly diligent, but if you started feeling better you could re-introduce certain things one at a time and possibly narrow down what the offending agent is, if it is indeed a food allergy.
Posted: Nov 10, 2007 7:40 pm

Geez, you poor thing! The only ray of sunshine I have for you is that apparantly EVERYONE has divoticulitis. My aunt & grandmother have it and told me to tell my doc. She says it's the most common thing on the planet so not to be concerned.

When I first saw the title for this thread, I was gonna bith about not being able to poop for five days after ankle surgery cause of all the pills.... but then I thought better of it.

Like the way I slipped that in there anyways??
Posted: Nov 10, 2007 7:44 pm

I think Bradx is right with his vitamin C suggestion...still recovering from some food poisoning I got a month ago on my honeymoon, and it did seem to help me. My mom is a nurse practitioner who's into natural remedies, and along with vitamin C she recommended aloe vera juice. Tastes like ass (I mixed it with EmercenC in an attempt to make it more palatable), but it's supposed to promote growth of the stomach lining, which I shat out. Just a thought. I haven't been able to eat my "regular" foods since I got sick. My dad was telling me last night that the bacteria in your stomach dictates what you're hungry for and I think I killed all the kind that hunger for meat. Luckily not all pizza has meat on it. Hope you get it figured out!
Posted: Nov 10, 2007 8:24 pm

I have not read through this whole thread, so appologies if this has been resolved or suggested already, but those symptoms sound like celiac sprue--the gluten intolerance. It can be very hard to diagnose, but very debilitating and uncomfortable...as well as damaging. If you haven't investigated this possibility, do so.
good luck
Posted: Nov 10, 2007 9:05 pm

I was thinking a gluten allergy too. Or a dietary imbalance that finally came to a head. My mom is looking at this acid/alkali stuff right now. Her system's all messed up too. I wouldn't go nuts on the vitamins just yet unless they're food-based. Some can be a bit harsh on even a healthy system. I'd stick with the probiotics for now.

Good luck Alisa.
Posted: Nov 10, 2007 9:49 pm | Edited by: Alisa

I am going to have him do more parasite cultures. I too cannot believe that one day I just woke up with IBS (and I'm sure that's what he's going to tell me I have). And yeah, Will, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to what sets it off.
I've looked into the AMP stuff, which is aloe, but not the gel.
I took that big vitamin yesterday, and didn't feel so great this morning. Maybe I shoud just get some C...though I've always had trouble taking vitamin C. I have way upped my water intake since yesterday, and it seems to be helping some.
I decided it would be easier to start with cutting out all dairy, instead of the gluten thing. My god, that sounds like a complicated nightmare! As does a lot of it.
Miss Faye, that acid/alkali stuff is pretty interesting.

Thank you all.
Posted: Nov 10, 2007 9:54 pm

Talking about some chicks IBS is the best reason I've heard yet for abolishing the internet. Other than Brad X.
Posted: Nov 11, 2007 7:43 pm

not being able to poop for five days after ankle surgery

Thanks, I have that operation comin up...
and am rather fund of my trooperpoopers in the morning.

Well, be careful cause they gave me stool softeners, the whole shebang and I only pooped ONCE after five days.... It took longer to even feel a little normal again.
Posted: Nov 11, 2007 7:53 pm

And I already was scared shitless

Ha ha ha! Very good.
Posted: Dec 17, 2007 5:39 pm

Alisa, do you have an update on all this?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®