Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Flamin Groovies ?'s
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 3:07 am

1. Is there a book?
2. Why did Chris Wilson quit?
3. Reunions
4. Does anyone really like the mid-80's rehashed shit? with the 3rd really shitty "singer"...
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 3:11 am

sure
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 3:14 am

The one comment "Is this the Flamin Groovies or Mr. Mister"... was funny as hell...
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 3:18 am

My relationship with Cyril by this time was starting to get a little strained as he was such a volatile person – he had really bad temper tantrums.

And then Dave left the band in early '80 – he had health problems and had had enough of Cyril and the bad blood in the band.

Cyril crashed his car on the way over to Dave's house to try and talk him out of it – he was in shock. And I thought "nice one" as I'd said to myself I'd not be the first one to quit so then I had an excuse.

We then went back to the States and things got worse and worse. I was utterly fed up by then.

On Halloween night 1981 we were playing a drug dealers convention and Cyril had double booked us. We were supposed to play at this second place – I can't remember the name of the shit hole – and I'd said I'd never play there again after my first time there when they used my gear without permission. So Cyril said "Right man, you're out of the band" so I thought "I'm out of here – thanks for the memories". I walked out and I've never seen him again. That was 31 October and on 28 January '82 my wife and I moved back to London.
-Chris Wilson
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 3:21 am

Posted: Oct 31, 2007 3:25 am

reunion 2002
For fans of the Flamin' Groovies, a bit of magic took place a few days later on November 13th at the Parkside nightclub when Cyril Jordan decided jump onstage for a couple songs with The Dilettones, Roy Loney's new band, featuring James Ferrell, and Larry Lea. Introduced by Roy as "my best friend," Cyril joined his old bandmate to share vocals on "Flight 505" and "Teenage Head." Those that attended this event were treated to a very special moment as three members of the FlaminÍ Groovies shared the stage once again. Roy's new band sounded excellent at their debut performance, and Cyril's surprise attendance at this show provided an unexpected treat to a packed house of euphoric music lovers.
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 3:41 am

Shake Some Action has some great songs on it but the rest of their stuff...yawn
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 3:44 am

I mostly dig Teenage Head LP... It is hit or miss though.... The Lp "Now"..is like over half covers?? Good versions (mostly ...but whats the fucking point....)... "Slow Death"...rules..
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 4:03 am

I was at that Parkside show....pretty awesome....Dictators cover of Slow Death is great.....
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 4:09 am

Shake Some Action has some great songs on it but the rest of their stuff...yawn

Your nuts. Shake Some Action is great, but their piece de resistance is Teenage Head. Hell, even Flamingo has good stuff on it.
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 4:19 am

"You're"

I think Teenage Head is way overrated.
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 4:27 am

I really like Flamingo, followed by Teeange Head followed by Shake. The power poppy beatlesesque stuff doesn't do it for me.
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 4:35 am

"You're"

I think Teenage Head is way overrated.

That was reference to your genitalia. Look for it.

OK, that's not true. Thanks for pointing out my misspelling...

I guess we can agree not to agree. I think that record is great & it's certainly not overplayed. How in the hell can you not like "Yesterday's Numbers?"
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 4:49 am

your nuts hahaha
i like the in between stuff
the slow death lp on norton is excellent
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 5:10 am

Flamingo rules. Heading for the Texas Border has one of the best guitar riffs ever. Second Cousin may be the best incest-rock song of all time. Whiskey Woman is also excellent. Teenage Head is my close second favorite though.
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 5:19 am

i dont think that 80s clip of slow death is that bad. i like alot stupider shit than that.
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 5:30 am

anyone not into them still has a lot to learn about music
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 5:34 am

Their name turned me off for years.
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 9:00 am

may be the best incest-rock song of all time

other good ones???
1. Kissing cousins....
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 1:23 pm

levon
Member Posted: Oct 30, 2007, 11:10 pm Quote

Flamingo rules. Heading for the Texas Border has one of the best guitar riffs ever. Second Cousin may be the best incest-rock song of all time. Whiskey Woman is also excellent. Teenage Head is my close second favorite though.

whiskey woman is in teenage head, but yes, i agree, flamingo and teenage head are their best lp's. loney lp's are also quite good. out after dark kicks ass.
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 3:31 pm

Some of the live records are cookers, like Bucketful of Brains. I like the "Stones" period better than the "Beatles" period, but both have gems.
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 4:05 pm

Flamingo and Teenage Head both rule, but the demo material compiled on the Norton Slow Death album (recorded right after Chris Wilson came on board) may be their best-ever stuff. And this is coming from a huge Roy Loney fan.
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 4:10 pm

Sneakers!!!!!
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 4:45 pm

Flamingo and Teenage Head both rule, but the demo material compiled on the Norton Slow Death album (recorded right after Chris Wilson came on board) may be their best-ever stuff.

SECONDED.

I also really love SUPERSNAZZ! - it get's no love.... still kinda operating in that do-dah san-fran vibe, but with flashes of what was to come... plus the cover art RULES!...

Definitely one of my favorite bands....
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 4:50 pm

it get's no love....

oh, Laurie!

Definitely one of my favorite bands....
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 4:51 pm

but the demo material compiled on the Norton Slow Death album (recorded right after Chris Wilson came on board) may be their best-ever stuff.

i'm gonna have to listen to this stuff more, i think...cos i'm in the no-loney, not-as-much love camp.
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 4:52 pm

teenage head is a top 30 lp

whiskey woman is a top 20 song

supersnazz
slow death
shake some action
flamingo

in that order are all grewat too
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 4:57 pm | Edited by: Stephanie

and yeah, Whiskey Woman is one of the first FG songs i ever heard and fell instantly....god, that song is so great. and Yesterday's Numbers, too! oh, mullet mention this already! yes!
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 5:02 pm

the Norton Slow Death album (recorded right after Chris Wilson came on board) may be their best-ever stuff.

that record is weird (meaning great) - definitely a 70's Motor City vibe, but really only for that recording session... after that they pretty much went la-la into Merseybeat-land....

my faves in order:

--Supersnazz
--Teenage Head/Flamingo (I constantly go back & forth as to which I like better)
--Slow Death
--Shake Some Action
--Jumpin' In The Night (take away the 'Werewolves of London' cover & it's a pretty strong album)
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 5:13 pm

Massively underrated 2nd era FG song: "First Plane Home."
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 5:18 pm

but no love for sneakers from any of you? is it not considered because it's an EP? dudes, that shit is great! might even be my fave, too..and i'm with you, bill, constantly going back and forth on which one is better - though i think i'd even put supersnazz in there.

i bought supersnazz for 35 bucks just so i could frame it!

fuck, it's all good! this thread is making my day!
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 5:40 pm

fuck, it's all good!

it's true - all of this is talk just apples & oranges... they rule.
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 7:46 pm

3. Reunions

I saw Roy Loney backed by The Young Fresh Fellows in the 90s...really good shows, they did mostly all Flamin' Groovies tunes...I think I played one of the gigs (Primate 5) but not sure. They played Seattle and the 3-B in Bellingham with The Fallouts too! (if anyone was at the 3-b, do you remember if Primate 5 played???
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 7:54 pm

i got a flyer for the croc shock the year he played, pretty sure primate -5 were on that maybe not the same night though
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 7:54 pm

I've never even heard Slow Death! I thought I was referring to "Grease", that collection of covers - post-Loney still though. Well, shit. i need to get/ hear that.
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 7:56 pm

er, i thought that's what slow death was, rather....
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 8:15 pm

Teenage Head.
Flamingo

love both of these albums. i've only heard one song off the norton slow death one though. thought it was good.
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 8:18 pm

i've only heard one song off the norton slow death one though. thought it was good.

Slow Death
Blues From Phylis
Dog Meat
Let Me Rock

All malevolent, all incredible. The Rolling Stones on crack.
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 9:00 pm

I think the Electric Shadows are playing as the Flamin' Groovies tonight at Rockstar Bar.
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 9:10 pm

38 posts for one of the most mediocre bands ever vs. 5 posts for one of the greatest. What does that tell you?
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 9:16 pm

you're mediocre.
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 9:20 pm

You are. Especially if you like a lousy band like the Flaming Groovies.
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 9:23 pm

awww..so sweet.
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 9:29 pm

Flamingo and Teenage Head both rule, but the demo material compiled on the Norton Slow Death album (recorded right after Chris Wilson came on board) may be their best-ever stuff.

SECONDED.

actually third. i said it first.
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 9:39 pm

i got a flyer for the croc shock the year he played, pretty sure primate -5 were on that maybe not the same night though
awesome...I miss YFF and Fallouts...Flamin Groovies RULE!
Posted: Nov 1, 2007 4:35 pm

You are. Especially if you like a lousy band like the Flaming Groovies.

Superb logic: If one likes a band that person is called a mediocre person by a person who does not like that band.

I remember logic class;

All Men Are Mortal.
Socrates Is a Man.
Ergo, Ned is Gay.
Posted: Nov 1, 2007 10:39 pm

Some people call you faggot.
Posted: Nov 1, 2007 11:18 pm

Some people call you faggot.
ah. good to see things haven't changed too much.
Posted: Apr 6, 2008 3:27 am

Laurie Did It / Apart From That / Brushfire

all excellent, and all on Supersnazz.
Posted: Apr 6, 2008 7:03 am

Heading for the Texas Border is great, but that riff's pretty much Ray Charles' I Don't Need No Doctor!

All of the Groovies' LPs have got great stuff on. As far as Cyril's much-cherished ambition to be the US Beatles, that's as far as he got! Kinda kool that you can pick thru all their stuff, like you can with the Fabs, and make yer own versh of what the Groovies are/were/ever shall be...

I think that the Grease versh of Slow Death is one of THE greatest r'n'r recordings of all time, and the rest of them sessions ain't no slouch, either! FG Now has some great stuff on it, esp When I Heard Your Name, which is also on the Norton LP, and even Jumpin' In The Night had a coupla goodies, esp First Plane Home...

The 80s stuff I can take or leave, but Cyril certainly had some aces up his sleeve, like way Over My Head and Step Up, crap production, 'Phil Collins' drums and the other vocalist notwithstanding...

I love the Groovies!
Posted: Apr 6, 2008 7:10 am

I love "Teenage Head," but I think I might like "Flamingo" better. "Headin' for the TX Border" is one of my all-time favorite songs.
Posted: Apr 6, 2008 7:43 am

Same here. The first time I ever heard it was actually Nashville Pussy's cover.....uh, yeah. One of the few bands where I actually enjoy the live records about as much as the studio ones.
Posted: Apr 6, 2008 5:51 pm

"Teenage Head" & "Flamingo" are at the same level for me. Depends on what mood I am in, "Flamingo" is definitely faster & tougher sounding. They're my two favorites though. I think I like "Sneakers" more than "Supersnazz."

I don't bother comparing the Chris Wilson period to the early years, it's only two of the same guys. I think they just had to keep the name due to contract/label shit anyhow.

I think "Grease" is fuckin' great. How does that differ from the "Slow Death" thing?

How can you not like the Flamin' Groovies?!
Posted: Apr 7, 2008 12:50 am

norton's "slow death" comp is a reish of "grease" (and "more grease" and a whole bunch of other stuff). it was also reished previously by marilyn recs in europe as a single lp. original artwork for "grease" rules.
Posted: Apr 7, 2008 1:03 am

slow death is the only groovies record i own.
Posted: Apr 7, 2008 6:32 am

since nobody mentioned it, i got their 10" 45
i think it books for $300 or so
Posted: Apr 7, 2008 2:33 pm

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:jiftxq8hldse

This looks like the LP version of the "Grease: Complete Skydog Collection" CD (which has everything from "Slow Death" and a lot more). Anybody have this 2XLP? Probably gonna order it today.
Posted: Apr 8, 2008 4:30 am

i got those goldstar tapes
it didn't have too many high moments
but it coulda
Posted: Apr 8, 2008 7:46 am

Are those extra tracks on the "Slow Death" comp worth owning? Only heard the original "Grease" 12".
Posted: Apr 8, 2008 8:16 am

Are those extra tracks on the "Slow Death" comp worth owning? Only heard the original "Grease" 12".

Assuming you're referring to the Norton disc, just get it. Everything on there is worth it and Cyril's liner notes are great. "Since I Heard Your Name" alone is worth the $.
Posted: Apr 8, 2008 11:44 am

Anyone know anything about the period when they added the chick singer (late 80's)? How long did that last?
Posted: Apr 8, 2008 12:11 pm

Cyril has a ruling comb-over but apparently Roy's band is better.

Magic Christian band is playing a lot around here.
Posted: Apr 8, 2008 3:20 pm

i got those goldstar tapes
it didn't have too many high moments
but it coulda

Really? I think that stuff is really damn good. Even all the covers.

Haven't heard "Slow Death", but there's only one song on that LP that I don't have on vinyl already.. Flamin' Groovies have the most confusing discography. Those first Chris Wilson recordings must have been released on 10 different fuckin' albums.
Posted: Apr 8, 2008 5:24 pm

Is Magic Christian worth seeing? they've been up to Portland twice now and I've flaked out both times.
Posted: Apr 8, 2008 6:20 pm

we're playing a coupla times in may with roy (seattle/tacoma), some pals are his backing band (long shots).
Posted: Apr 8, 2008 8:37 pm

What's the info on the Seattle show?
Posted: Apr 9, 2008 8:40 am

roy loney & the long shots
fucking eagles
tripwires
fri may 16 @ sunset

long shots = jim+johnny sangster, joey kline and the model rockets drummist
Posted: Apr 9, 2008 10:24 am

munster did a gold star tapes 2lp with much the same stuff as the norton comp. came out a year or two earlier from memory. probably earned 'em a cease and desist too.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®