Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Punk rock helps deliver baby in Oakland street
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 9:30 pm

So far, this is my all-time favorite fun way to come into the world story.

http://www.siliconvalley.com/ci_7175624?nclick_check=1
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 9:35 pm

cool, registering rules!
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:01 pm

If you don't want to register yourself:

http://www.bugmenot.com/view/siliconvalley.com
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:14 pm

Quite an act: Baby arrives in middle of street
CIRCUS PERFORMERS ASSIST IN DELIVERY
By Angela Woodall
MediaNews
Article Launched: 10/14/2007 01:35:28 AM PDT

There is one newborn who was born marching to the beat of her own drummer.

She came into the world last weekend in the middle of Telegraph Avenue in North Oakland with the help of circus performers on their way back from a Cure concert, and with a punk band T-shirt for a blanket.

That's one hard-to-beat entrance and a great tale to boot.

Amber Wheeler and Keno Mapp, members of an avant-garde circus and cabaret company, the Vau de Vire Society, were driving down Telegraph Avenue near Alcatraz Avenue in the wee hours of Sunday morning. A minivan abruptly stopped in the street, and a man jumped out, forcing their car to slow down. The two performers peered ahead of them, and saw in the minivan a woman arching her shoulders with her stomach in the air.

The couple doubled back and found the baby was already on her way.

Luckily for the newborn, Wheeler is studying midwifery and is a practicing birth assistant who had one birth under her belt (and she has one of her own), as well as a first-aid kit in her toolbox.

The parents declined to be interviewed or release the name of the baby, but they and the Oakland Fire Department confirmed the circumstances of the birth.

"Give me your hand," Wheeler said in Spanish, to soothe the mother, who had swiveled her knees outside the passenger-side door - meaning the baby would have to be caught to avoid hitting the pavement.

Wheeler's arms were there.

"The

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

Advertisement
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
father stepped back, so I stepped in," Wheeler said.
In the meantime, Mapp was on the phone with a 911 dispatcher and searching for water and something to wrap up the baby.

The couple happened to have clean T-shirts from the concert printed with images of Dr. Madd Vibe, alter-ego of lead singer Angelo Moore of the punk-ska band Fishbone.

"I said, 'Guess what we did with your T-shirts?' " Mapp recalled telling Moore.

"This baby's going to grow up to be one of the best musicians in the world," he added.

But the baby had begun to turn blue and wasn't breathing because the umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck.

Wheeler put the baby on the mother's belly and the two women unwound the cord.

Still no breath and she was turning a darker blue.

Even her attempt to resuscitate the newborn by doing cardiopulmonary resuscitation failed.

That's when she recalled a midwifery lesson: A baby has to be welcomed into the world.

So she told the baby to stay, told her she was welcome and "sure enough" she took a big breath, Mapp said.

"She was a pretty little thing. She was a shade of indigo, but she wasn't getting progressively blue," Wheeler said.

Then she rubbed the baby to get her blood flowing and put the mother in the back seat of the minivan to rest with the heater cranked up.

Paramedics from the Oakland Fire Department arrived shortly after, cut the umbilical cord, delivered the placenta and took mother and baby to the hospital.

The baby already has her first book - inspirational poetry written by Mapp, signed by the couple who visited the big inspiration in a tiny body.

Contact Angela Woodall at awoodall@bayareanewsgroup.com.
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 11:14 pm

That's when she recalled a midwifery lesson: A baby has to be welcomed into the world.

I do the same thing after I "number two".
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 11:30 pm

your poop breathes?
what do you eat?
hookorcrook
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 12:58 am

i dont get why they were selling fishbone shirts at a cure concert. is it 1989 or something? FISHBONE??
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 1:17 am

Fishbone, punk rock? Since when?

That poor poor baby.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 2:04 am

Hippies.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 5:06 am

i dont get why they were selling fishbone shirts at a cure concert. is it 1989 or something? FISHBONE??

I wondered all that, too.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®