Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / did ian mackaye die?
Posted: Oct 2, 2007 10:14 pm

that's what i heard. like, hit by car in baltimore and shit. really???
Posted: Oct 2, 2007 10:14 pm

no!

it's all BS, theres no links or news on this that i can find....
Posted: Oct 2, 2007 10:15 pm

I read about it in a myspace bulletin for what that's worth.
Posted: Oct 2, 2007 10:16 pm

i figured.
Posted: Oct 2, 2007 10:19 pm

keep looking!
Posted: Oct 2, 2007 10:23 pm

died in the waiting room
Posted: Oct 2, 2007 10:25 pm

fuck. no. really? fuck that's awful. i just watched american hardcore last night and was gonna call him. fuckfuckfuck
Posted: Oct 2, 2007 10:26 pm

HEE-HAW!!!
Posted: Oct 2, 2007 10:28 pm

a myspace bulletin

and then i saw this one...
Everyone: The Ian MacKaye death reports are BULLSHIT!
FYI, Fugazi has been inactive for at least two years. If you go to the Dischord Records website, you will see that not only are Fugazi not touring much less doing anything at the moment, but that the only member of the band out there at the moment is bassist Joe Lally, who will start his tour for his solo album on the 17th. MacKaye's current band is the duo called The Evens, and I'm sure if he had perished, the Dischord website would be all over it. There also is NOTHING on any wire service feeds. Someone is trying to stir up rumors and trouble. I learned my lesson with these things: Research these things before you post them. Now please, let's calm down and try to stop this before it spreads further - I've already seen six bulletins, all saying the same thing, and all misspelling Ian's name the same way!
Posted: Oct 2, 2007 10:35 pm

the myspace bulletin
Ian Mackaye, lead singer of influential hardcore band Minor Threat as well as Fugazi passed away today in a Baltimore hospital room. Outside a Fugazi show in New Jersey last night, the singer was struck by a car passing by the front of the Ventura Theatre. Brunswick police say that the driver allegedly stopped, but then fled the scene. There is now a police investigation underway.

Mackeye was rushed to St. Agnes Hospital in Baltimore, where he was pronounced dead this morning at 6am. This is a tragedy for the underground music as a whole and we need to stand together at this time of loss.

hit in a car in NJ - while playing the Ventura Theatre (in Calif?) and sent to the hosp in Baltimore
Posted: Oct 2, 2007 10:40 pm

retarded.
Posted: Oct 2, 2007 10:43 pm

hit in a car in NJ - while playing the Ventura Theatre (in Calif?) and sent to the hosp in Baltimore

yes, all very suspect....

and while the concert venue, the ventura theatre is in california, that could be a common enough name... there's malibu's all over nyc, after all
Posted: Oct 2, 2007 11:47 pm

Posted: Oct 2, 2007 11:49 pm

why thanks donkey!
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 3:57 am

Someone who posted an internet story about this on Stonerrock.com is getting torn a new ass by a bunch of people who did not think it was funny, tho' I don't think it was originally posted as a joke.

and while the concert venue, the ventura theatre is in california, that could be a common enough name... there's malibu's all over nyc, after all

When we were getting tickets for Tom Waits @ the Orpheum in Memphis, we found out that Ticketmaster sells tickets to 16 different venues named The Orpheum.
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 4:01 am

Too bad I always hated that guy.... Minor Threat... Give me a fucking break... I grew up 100 miles from Washington DC... I HATE THAT SHIT!!!
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 4:35 am

My friend wrote a song about him. We never put it to music:

Ian MacKaye! Ian MacKaye!
We're always gonna call you Ian MacKaye!
We're never gonna call you Ian MacKaye
and we're always gonna call the other one Guy!

Now we'll never get the chance. xRIPx lol.
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 4:47 am

HEE-HAW!!!
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 4:50 am

Too bad I always hated that guy.... Minor Threat... Give me a fucking break

I'm definately not the biggest Ian MacKaye fan on the planet, but he's gotta be one of the most beloved persons in music over the last 25 years. He & Corey Rusk gave new meaning to honesty & D.I.Y.
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 5:18 am

I like his music, I like long-ass, slow-ass songs when the drug involved is mental exhaustion. I like that he has stubbornly stuck by his principles. But he's kinda like Charles Bronson without the violence. Imagine if Deathwish 3 was just Paul Kersey working to create a counter-culture that encouraged civility and upward mobility. That ain't my life. I buy air-soft guns at convenience stores on my way home from 4-day benders.

So basically I'll be happy to discuss him respectfully in hushed tones, I'll listen to Embrace and use it to score chicks if I can. But he's just some dude with a good band or two at the end of the day.
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 6:28 am

he's gotta be one of the most beloved persons in music over the last 25 years.

yep. don't much care for his music or that kind of punk rock, but i like the GUY
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 9:15 am

yep. don't much care for his music or that kind of punk rock, but i like the GUY

ditto. I don't listen to the music, but he's always been a decent guy to me. Ian, that is, not "guy."
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 1:07 pm

i just watched american hardcore last night and was gonna call him.

Call him what? I suggest "douche-bag".
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 4:49 pm

Upon questioning about his bandmate's condition, Guy Picciotto responded "I never thought too hard on dying before, I never sucked on the dying. I never licked the side of dying before and now Ians feeling the dying."
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 5:15 pm

"No bunny. It's not funny. Don't believe everything you read."

- Remember when this Mackaye dude had that side-project Pailhead with that Al Gorgonzola douche from synth-to-metal swindlers Ministry? The poster boy of straight-edge self-rigtheous idealism with a junky sellout muttonhead? Weird!
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 5:33 pm

The poster boy of straight-edge self-rigtheous idealism with a junky sellout muttonhead? Weird!

Not a unique combination, actually. Self-righteous or not, he's still friendly with all sorts of unsavory characters.
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 6:12 pm

Al Gorgonzola

now THAT's a funny name-calling if ever!

i agree w/ glenn.... mackaye is a geniunely nice, friendly approachable guy
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 6:48 pm

one time my friend was trying to collect donations to hire a jew lawyer to get out from under a drunk-driving charge. Ian casually asked if he was actually guilty or innocent, and my friend said "guilty" and Ian gave him twenty bucks.
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 7:59 pm

from the jay reatard blog
Was walking back stage to use the bathroom and Ian Mackaye was drinking a beer talking about lawyers..Was kinda a weird moment ..

ian drinking beer - next thing you know he'll be fucking and/or playing golf -- he's dead to me now
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 10:12 pm

ian drinking beer - next thing you know he'll be fucking and/or playing golf -- he's dead to me now

well, i saw bob marley eat a hamburger. he's dead too
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 10:25 pm

Lyle Presslar was my A & R guy at Caroline. 6 Degrees of Tesco Vee!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®