Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Chicago Tips...
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 6:02 pm

OK- All of my roomates' friends are art-with-a-capital-"A" douchebags and just wanna talk about their stupid installation pieces... I can't get any useful information outta any of 'em. So help me out...

Is there a natural foods store in this town OTHER than Whole Foods? I hate that place and REALLY don't want to shop there, but I guess I will if I must.

Also, what's the best radio station to send promos to? Anyone in town particularly friendly to the punk/garage "scene"?

Any good bookstores other than Myopic? That place is expensive.

What about record stores? Reckless seems alright, any others I should know about?

And how 'bout thrift stores? I've been to the Village Discount on Milwaukee, and also the Brown Elephant around 6 Corners... but what I'm really looking for is furniture for my place. Any ideas? (I'd prefer not give money to IKEA).

Cheap eats? Let me know!!
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 6:21 pm

Joe, first get a bike.

Stanley's produce mart is great. (North east of ashland)

WLUW, WHPK

Powell's books (same powell, pre portland, new owner now) 2850 n lincoln. Also corner of clark and something between belmont and diversity is a cheap dusty old man book shop. Theres a history/anthro bookshop on grand and halstead.

Theres like 40 village discounts. they all good. Is the ark still there? They were good for furniture. The further away you get from hip neighborhoods the better the stores generally.

Ed's dim sum house.

If you can't tell, I miss Chicago.
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 6:24 pm | Edited by: LisaLisa

As far a grocery stores that have a large selection I'd got with Trader Joe's and there is also a Sunshine Market on clybourne? I think...all three Whole Foods, Trader Joes and Sunshine are within a half mile of each other.

Send stuff to WLUW and WHPK...Pat is the guy to talk to. He was at the show last night, you'll probably see him around and they'll def. play stuff. Also Darius.

Surprisingly, second-hand book stores are kinda sparse. There are record stores on the north side like Hard Boiled (damen and roscoe) and laurie's planet of sound around Lincoln Square. South side has the "real" record stores.

Speaking of Roscoe there is a village thrift right across the street from the record store. I got an airline acoustic guitar for 5.00 the other day!

best thrifts are down on the southside...once we get back in town we'll take you around.
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 6:25 pm

oh, yeah, the ark is still there...on milwaukee just north of division...lots of furniture. Also there is a salvation army on north around cicero that has a whole floor of furniture.
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 6:32 pm

Yeah, I went to Powell's 'cause I knew about the Portland connection, and I liked it a lot... but I guess I'll just have to deal with the fact that the Portland Powell's is the best bookstore in the world and I'll have to do without it. Although I do really like that Myopic is open 'til 1am. Nerd out.

And yeah Lisa- take me around!! I can't hang out with the art school crowd for much longer.

Also- any job leads would be sweet...
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 6:33 pm

rib tips
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 6:36 pm

I got yr rib tip right here!
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 7:34 pm

dave's records on clark st is ok
reckless on milwaukee has seen a recent influx of AWESOME FUCKING STUFF :(
i'm overwhelmed by beverly's but holy mother of god i mean that in a good way.
dusty groove is good for eclectic stuff.
i'm pretty sure there's a coconuts over by the diversey brown line stop.
hyde park records used to be part of the 2nd hand tunes chain.
permanent records on chicago just east of damen isn't bad.

those are pretty much the only ones i can think of that no one else has mentioned.

were you there last night joe? if so did i meet you? and why, exactly, do i have a chair back from ronny's on my coffee table?
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 7:54 pm

I was, but we didn't meet... Next time! I met Bill and Lisa and Stacy and Mike and Dave. And the Hipshakes guys. Party on Kevin's coffee table!!!
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 8:05 pm

wow, i think i only had four or five beers but drinking on an empty stomach gets me f'ing looped. and my hands are cut up again.
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 8:35 pm

Great bookstore/record store no one ever mentions is Shake Rattle and Read in Uptown at Broadway & Lawrence. There's a photo of the Ramones hanging out in the store buying comic books from the 70s, and the owner Ric has millions of great stories. I've heard people say it's one of the best used bookstores in the midwest, and you will find some great used records there too.

Quimbys is the best for new books/mags, I'd say.
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 9:18 pm

i was there too joe. i would have liked to meet you, but i also don't like people, or talking, or music, or beer. but next time. next time.

also, as far as stores and stuff, what everyone else said. and get a bike. and a new place to stay. and some tacos.
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 9:58 pm

yes, as per sarah, GET A BIKE.

i've noticed a lot of thrift stores near the funeral home that seemed like untapped treasure troves. start hitting the outlying neighborhoods like belmont and central. come to think of it, there are some pretty awesome looking stores on the far west side.

Shake Rattle and Read
YES!

stanleys is good, but lately i've noticed better produce at cermak on north ave. & california.

surprised you didn't ask about good bars.
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 9:58 pm

anyone been to that marrakesh place on ashland and blackhawk????
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 11:10 pm

Record stores: I think the Reckless on Broadway's the best of all three in the area. Hit it as often as you can tolerate and you'll find good stuff. Ditto if you go to Dave's once every month or so. Seems like the guy has a backstock of good '80s stuff that he's slowly trickling out. Beverly's in Beverly is good for old bubblegum and '60s garage (turkey) stuff. You'll occasionally find a '70s gem or two, but don't count on it. The Jazz Record Mart downtown is overwhelming for someone like me who knows nothing about jazz and soul and blues, but if that's your thing, you'll love it -- except for those prices. Three times the size of Dusty Groove and you'll pay for it. There are some other decent shops I've heard about in Hyde Park and south of the loop, but unless you have a car or know someone who does, you're not going there anytime soon.

Thrift: I have a lotta luck with the Value Village (or is it Village Discount?) on Roscoe -- the one that Lisa mentioned. The one on Milwaukee has a huge stash of t-shirts (and smells like an immigrant's unwashed ass). And then there are tons out in the NW 'burbs and far south.

Books: Looks like most of the old rocky-roll magazines have been picked over at Shake, Rattle & Read but there are some decent finds to be had in there. Not many records there, but some worth a purchase last time I nosed through. (Silicon Teens LP!) I like Quimby's OK and Chicago Comics on Clark is good if you are into indie press stuff or are looking for your Clowes/Ware/Brunetti/etc. fix. Never had much luck with Powell's. Myopic can blow me.

Pizza: Going through something of a moral quandary as of late as I'm no longer sure that Pete's Pizza is the best joint in Chicago. It might be Pequod's in Lincoln Park. I'm not normally a deep dish kinda fella, but theirs does not fuck around. Grab one of those and a pitcher of Blue Moon and you're on your way to an early bedtime. Then again, take that with a grain of garlic salt 'cuz I still haven't been to Chicago Oven Grinder Co. and some guy who was dressed like the Highlander informed me at work the other day that it was, hands down, the best pie in the city. I'm tempted to believe him because he looked awfully goddamned enlightened and he gestured crazily the whole time he spoke.

Good bars: Unsure if this is representative of popular opinion, but I really like Small Bar in Logan Square. It's never that crowded and their beer selection's pretty decent. Plus it always smells like delicious fried food and they didn't get sore at me about the time I ordered two helpings of wings and left before the food arrived because I was too high to understand the dangerous mechanics of the ordering process. Fuck the one on Division. If you are looking to "rub elbows" with fellow collegiates then head on over to the Rainbo on a Thursday and watch those "sparks fly." Jay from MOTO DJs at Club Foot on Wednesdays and if I didn't have to work Wednesday nights I'd go there more often. I know, I know, I know: I actually like the California Clipper, especially on Friday nights. Yes, I'm a glutton for punishment, but if you're anything like me you need something to stare at other than a TV while you're drinking in public.

Grocery: Sunshine will gouge the ass offa' you, even worse than Whole Foods. I've always liked Stanley's for fruits and veggies. Treasure Island has the best salad bar in the city, I think, taking price and everything into account.

-Rick Bayless
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 11:25 pm

start hitting the outlying neighborhoods like belmont and central.

absolutely true. when me and jen lived on austin blvd we used to go to the salvation army on division & central all the time. until the time we were looking for a place to park and the two kids brandishing pistols ran by the car. there's also some places on north ave that aren't too bad. there are a TON of places on harlem kind of near grand but the last time i was out that way there weren't as many deals to be had. there are/were some places in galewood too aparently but i've never been. my old neighbor from when i lived on washington blvd in oak park used to swear by them.
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 11:28 pm

Good bars: Unsure if this is representative of popular opinion, but I really like Small Bar in Logan Square.

i'll second this and second eric's eschewing of the division st location. it blows if there are any other people in it. most of division st. does. did you wind up getting a place in the neighborhood? if so i can tell you about most of places around here.
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 11:31 pm

did you wind up getting a place in the neighborhood?

nevermind, i just read your email, we live on the same street.
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 3:14 am

there's a hilarious new Indian Sports Bar called Karma Crossing about a block north of Armitage on Western that gets bombed with graffiti every night, but looks like it would be kinda crazy. I just really like the image if a Indian-themed sports bar, I guess.
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 4:38 am

there are no loudmouths like cricket loudmouths.
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 5:50 am

Man, I FUCKIN' LOVE CHICAGO! I think I may be going there for Christmas!
Yeah!
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 7:19 am

I'm taking notes from this thread in case my last-ditch efforts to stay in Portland fall through. Which at this point could very well be possible.

Dammit.
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 10:59 am

Talbot, bring the Black & Whites back. 2 x "Multiple Girls" = WAY TOO MANY GIRLS!
Posted: Sep 21, 2007 3:33 am

We wanna come back ASAP!
Posted: Feb 8, 2010 11:05 am

are th
Posted: Feb 8, 2010 11:09 am

Are these tips still good? Will be in Chicago this weekend staying at the Palmer Hilton with no car. Any good shows? Or a decent Goner type dj or bar that would be worth checking out? Thanks!
Posted: Feb 8, 2010 11:30 am

Are these tips still good? Will be in Chicago this weekend staying at the Palmer Hilton with no car. Any good shows? Or a decent Goner type dj or bar that would be worth checking out? Thanks!

check Victim Of Time, Chicago section for show tips - there's a good one on Thursday at this space called "Reuben's" with Other Minds, Magic Words, Hollows, & The Runnies...

as far as record stores go - Reckless is definitely still good, but for my money I always find more of what I'm looking for at either Permanent Records or Laurie's Planet of Sound...
Posted: Feb 8, 2010 9:25 pm

Palmer House is pretty central (it's downtown after all) and you can access any train/bus line from there. Blue line goes to Wicker Park/Logan Square and its associated bars/record stores/etc. I live in Pilsen now, so I never know about or do anything cool.

Also, bring yr snow shoes... STORM WARNING!!!!!
Posted: Feb 9, 2010 10:18 am

STORM ALERT!

It's gonna be, like 2 feet or something... lotsa snow right now...
Posted: Feb 10, 2010 5:57 pm

Well I guess I picked a great time for a visit 12 inches of snow and an earthquake. It even even made the news in Toronto. Black Hawks tix are they hard to come by? None at the box office for Saturday's game.
Posted: Feb 11, 2010 6:27 am

blackhawks tix are easy to come by if you want to shell out the money. "scalping" is illegal but "ticket agencies" are legal. the cubs own their own "ticket agency" and sell their own tickets for 10 times the face value.
Posted: Feb 11, 2010 11:50 am

Save money on a hotel by sleeping on the L train, this is actually encouraged and chicagoans have been known to leave little gifts and tokens for sleeping strangers.
Posted: Feb 11, 2010 12:36 pm

i've woken up at the end of the line at o'hare, harlem/lake, forest park, howard, 95th st, and linden (the last 3 in one barely memorable night). i would not recommend it.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®