Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Disney World Haunted Mansion!
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 4:43 am

Posted: Sep 15, 2007 4:55 am

Oh my god. I rode that when I was FIVE. The second I started watching it, I had my first memory of that original ride...well, if not the first memory, the first memory in at least 30 years! Why am I not in Orlando this weekend?

I hope Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is still there--that was my fave.
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 6:31 am

Best shit ever. We went to Disneyland a few weeks ago and did the Haunted Mansion twice!
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 6:46 am

I hope Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is still there--that was my fave.

my sister told me it was still there (anaheim). she has a 5 year old -- they went last year on the kid's 4th birthday.

i guess it could be gone now... but it was there a year ago.

i LOVE Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. if you want a super facsimile of it, the bus that goes from Hollywood to the Valley over Laurel Canyon delivers the bumps and careening pretty much just like Disneyland and its only $1.25 to ride it
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 6:52 am

mr. toads wild ride was amazing!!! all of that land when they had E tickets and stuff was so beautiful. i think that haunted mansion gets turned into nightmare before christmas all the time now.
hmmm...i love tim burton but i love the ride the way it was.
i love pirates of the carribean too and i hope they didn't turn that into the movie.
they got rid of the island, the spaceship ride, the jamboree bears, the frontier land ride where you were on safari AND the ride where you turned into a molecule which was my favorite.
the star wars ride i hope they kept. pee wee herman's voice was the robot who would take you on the tie fighter thing....
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 8:11 am

i love pirates of the carribean too and i hope they didn't turn that into the movie.

the movie is the ride!
welcome to the afterburner effects of postmodernism! blockbuster movie that takes its everything from an amusement park ride!

the ride where you turned into a molecule which was my favorite.

no more monsanto world of the future? damn
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 4:18 pm

My childhood summers were spent in Florida, and the yearly the Haunted Mansion was always a highlight...never got old!

At Disney World, Mr. Toad's was turned into a Winnie the Pooh ride! Ugh!!!
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 4:27 pm

Posted: Sep 15, 2007 4:52 pm

You couldn't drag me there now but years ago we'd run around that place on the paper tabs, lit up like pinball machines and having the best time ever. Standing in line for an hour and a half? No problem!

The Mansion and other "slow" rides were fantastic (Mr. Toad's was an absolute killer...) and I recall nearly having a grand mal watching Michael Jackson as Captain Eo in 3D.
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 8:24 pm

Never been to Disney Land etc., but have heard about this place.

Club 33
http://www.disneylandclub33.com/index.html
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 9:41 pm

Strange place....the obsession with "33" and all.....very enjoyable....14 year waiting list...
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 10:25 pm

I just discovered this! BOO!!! Well, at least the original one at Disneyland is still there...it is actually better...but Disneyworld was my first Mr. Toad, so I lament its loss.

Poor kids of today.
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 10:30 pm

Disneyland original:

Disneyworld Tracks 1 and 2:

Posted: Sep 15, 2007 11:48 pm

I just discovered this! BOO!!! Well, at least the original one at Disneyland is still there...it is actually better...but Disneyworld was my first Mr. Toad, so I lament its loss.

Poor kids of today.

That's AWFUL!
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 12:16 am

winnie the pooh gross! and sorry about what i said with pirates! what i meant was i hope they didn't add any new ugly movie shit to it. coz yes i know it was a ride first.
the molecule ride is so gone. so lame. and there aren't any fucking rockets! or big bear jamboree which i mentioned or the learn about america one where you sit there and it spins around with animatronics.
i loved 3d captain eo! i think thats what became star wars. still haven't seen the indiana jones one, unless that was what replaced star wars.
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 12:48 am

Speaking of old Florida attractions, my stepmother was/is a Weeki Wachee mermaid back in the 70's. We went to see her and a bunch of old mermaids swim there last week and it was SO GREAT! I almost cried. I went there when I was 5 with my granddad on out Winnebago tour of Florida and it was easily on par with Disneyworld to my 5-year-old self.

http://www.weekiwachee.com/
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 3:11 am

that is sooo rad.
shit, i'm retarded ever more as i just realized you guys are talking about florida and not the good ole orange curtain one that i grew up with...
fuck...whatever.
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 11:14 pm

We are talking about both! Florida and California--the bastard states of the US.
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 6:35 am

oh. ok. i'm an ADD reader on this thing...alrighty then.
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 7:32 am

Florida and California--the bastard states of the US.

yes - both usurped from spanish speaking peoples
both have cities called Hollywood
both grow oranges and other citrus
both have perpetual sunshine
both have a surfeit of amusement parks - many of which mirror the other states'...

scary twins...
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 2:23 pm

What about the Eastern Airlines ride, "If You Had Wings?" I would figure that's about as long gone as Eastern itself.
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 2:49 pm

What about the Eastern Airlines ride, "If You Had Wings?"

That was my favorite ride as a kid. The other kids were all about space mountain, but I could not get enough of If You Had Wings. ANd, there was never a line to get in!
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 2:51 pm

ANd, there was never a line to get in!

You're not even kidding. NEVER. Or, about as much of a line as there was to go on the Wedway People Mover.
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 2:55 pm

I am now starting to fully appreciate Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_You_Had_Wings

Some salient points:

" Little publicized and little known, waiting lines for this attraction (located across from Mission to Mars) were nonexistent or short even when the park was crowded."

" The omnipresent music featured singers tunefully chanting, "If you had wings, if you had wings, if you had wings, had wings, had wings, had wings." The music did not succeed in masking the sound of the hidden projectors, which were audible throughout most of the ride."
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 3:10 pm

scary twins...

The "scary twins" prevalent in both states are the insane amount of bizarre tit jobs!
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 4:21 pm

Posted: Sep 19, 2007 1:16 am

you're a doom buggy!
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 4:52 pm

If You Had Wings Fan Site

(I love the internet)

Actually, it's a site dedicated to all the defunct rides at Disney! All my favorites are there.

http://home.cfl.rr.com/omniluxe/wyw.htm
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 4:56 pm

20,000 Leagues Under THe Sea

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

WEll, not all my faves - I don't see Country Bear Jamboree or Pirates...
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 5:01 pm

If You Had Wings Fan Site

Contributing
Disney Personnel:
Buddy Baker

Weird... he's the musical director/ arranger on Disneyland Records' brilliant take on the "Electric Company" record.
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 5:03 pm

Maybe he contributed the mp3's - like THIS ONE
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 5:15 pm

Never been to Disney Land etc., but have heard about this place.

Club 33
http://www.disneylandclub33.com/index.html

wow... what a cool site! always wanted to know what was in there.
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 5:17 pm

you\'re a doom buggy!

True!
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 5:27 pm | Edited by: jahna

Uh, I've gotten caught up in nostalgia... I forgot about my childhood obsession with the Polynesian Village, Swiss Family Robinson, and the ENCHANTED TIKI ROOM!!!

I just dug up PICTURES from when we stayed in the Polynesian Village when I was a little kid. I'm the one with the blue plaid dress, missing two front teeth (also one shot of me wearing dad's hat.) Dig my dad's 'stache! When he finally shaved it off in '95 or so, I didn't recognize him.
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 5:30 pm

I just dug up PICTURES from when we stayed in the Polynesian Village

my folks and i kicked it at the Jolly Roger!
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 5:37 pm

ENCHANTED TIKI ROOM

UNCHANGED!!!!

Other than the removal of a minor musical number set to the "Barcarolle" from Jacques Offenbach's opera Tales of Hoffmann and the final verse of Let's All Sing Like The Birdies Sing, the show has remained otherwise unchanged since its 1963 inception due to a stipulation in the sponsorship contract with Dole that the attraction remain unchanged. As such, the attraction is arguably dated. One chorus of Let's All Sing Like The Birdies Sing has Josť crooning like Bing Crosby, Fritz scat-singing in a gravelly voice like that of Louis Armstrong and Pierre singing like Maurice Chevalier. Still, the attraction remains among the park's most popular.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®