Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / The Jam - Live At Dortmond 81'
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 2:34 am

Rad bootleg. 21 tracks. Get the whole thing for free here!
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 4:49 pm

Cool! Thanks!
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 5:36 pm

Thanks!
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 6:05 pm

Danke
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 11:31 pm

thanks.
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 6:54 pm

No problem!

However, someone wrote in and said it's "Dortmund" not "mond".

I think they should just change to dirtmound to avoid confusion.
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 7:08 pm

The Jam sucks ( beat ya to it ,bradx).
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 7:14 pm

the ramones are dead but paul weller just bought a new pair of clarks.
Posted: Sep 18, 2007 1:15 am

i love the jam and all those bands that brad thinks sucks... and rumple too, i guess
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 9:37 pm

I really can't see how anyone can say the Jam sucks. Unless they're talking about "Beat Surrender"... those cover songs are embarrassing.
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 9:39 pm | Edited by: bazooka joe

Posted: Sep 19, 2007 9:43 pm

i love the jam

me too.
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 10:08 pm

I really can't see how anyone can say the Jam sucks. Unless they're talking about "Beat Surrender"... those cover songs are embarrassing.

"Beat Surrender" is a cover?
Why they ever touched "Heatwave" is beyond me though.
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 10:10 pm

i think that's what he meant.
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 10:21 pm

All Mod Cons/Setting Sons/Sound Affects are great records though, even if I played them to death when I was 18/19 and only go back to them sporidically.
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 10:36 pm

really can't see how anyone can say the Jam sucks
Because I bought that "Modern world" record when it came out and it gave me a crushing boredom headache. Paul Weller is a pretentious twat . Even his idol Pete Townshend says so. Steve Marriott would agree but he's unavailable for comment.
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 11:04 pm

Is "New Art School" a cover?

Weller may be full of pretense now, but in 1977 that shit cut like a knife
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 1:22 am

Weller may be full of pretense now, but in 1977 that shit cut like a knife

while i disagree that he's pretentious now, i do give you that in 1977, that shit cut like a knife.

i've had only positive personal experiences with paul weller and his dad. i'm sure that rick buckler and bruce foxton have completely different experiences.

then again.... when they played the whisky, i was the one who handed them their money in cold hard cash, ugly american greenback dollars. that tends to make people nice to you
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 2:04 pm

"Beat Surrender" is a cover?
Why they ever touched "Heatwave" is beyond me though.

There's like 3 other songs on the Beat Surrender 12"... I don't remember all of them... but there is a chi-lites song and hey do war. It sounds like fucking Style Council and not the Jam.

And Heatwave blows.
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 2:06 pm

really can't see how anyone can say the Jam sucks
Because I bought that "Modern world" record when it came out and it gave me a crushing boredom headache. Paul Weller is a pretentious twat . Even his idol Pete Townshend says so. Steve Marriott would agree but he's unavailable for comment.

Yea... but considering Modern World came out 6 months after In The City it's not all that bad.
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 2:35 pm

I was mad about 'em when I was a kid, and I gotta say that stuff like the inner sleeve of All Mod Cons, and Weller talking about stuff in interviews led me to all sortsa things, such as pop art, The Action, "Brickfield Nights", and stuff... My fave Jam stuff is still tales From The Riverbank/Sound Affects-era, up to Funeral Pyre... I mean, I prolly woulda never heard Eddie Floyd if it hadn't have been for Weller & co covering "Big Bird" (quite well, as it happens)... met him a coupla times, nice fella, bit miserable...
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 5:11 pm

paul weller and his dad

yeah, that dad shit threw me for a loop, esp. at the age when I hated mine...

punk was all about round pegs, square holes. every act had different wiring. but the Jam could really bring it. any UTube on them circa '77?

when did they play LA first? he got a pocket full of pretty green

i saw them in UK and then over here for the Gift tour a few years later... that was when I got off the train
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 8:03 pm

Someone is seeding a DVD of this performance on dimeadozen.org. Like most Rockpalast shows it is really high quality video.
here is a link to more info about the show
http://www.rockpalastarchiv.de/concert/jam.html
Posted: Sep 21, 2007 5:31 am

when did they play LA first?

october 7, 1977 - 2 nights at the whisky

johnny cougar (mellencamp - tho he wasn't going by that name then) opened. it was a total polygram couple of nights.
i worked at the club, booking - which is why i remember the date...still got that calendar w/ all the notes n stuff on the deal each band made...
when you're 20, you think you could work in a night club forever...

i think A reason john weller managed the band (as opposed to so many other reasons that make sense) is that so many of the band's idols (ie: small faces, american R&B acts) got ripped off by managers and publishers and labels. you could call john weller a control freak, but he was looking out for his kid's best interest.

he was really nice to me - but then again, i paid those guys. but paul weller and i are the same age, so maybe MR weller was just seeing his kid's generation being able to work at things they wanted to do, rather than have to drive trucks n shit.

2nd time in LA = my birthday in 1978 (april 14 @ the starwood). they were really nice and turned about 45 minutes of their big press/record release party into a b'day party for me. yup. weller sang the birthday song to me. maybe that's why i like him. dunno.

they were a very fun part of my youth. all good memories and i do like the records. they haven't grown old on me.
Posted: Sep 21, 2007 5:49 pm

i would have killed to have seen them in '77. they must of only played LA & NYC.

the first English "punk" band I saw was 999
Posted: Sep 21, 2007 6:26 pm

The first couple 999 records are awesome.
Posted: Sep 21, 2007 6:28 pm

they put on a great show, too.

pretty much have kept at it the whole time as well
Posted: Oct 7, 2007 8:48 am | Edited by: Theresa K

30 years ago today
october 7, 1977
first JAM show in LA @ the whisky
"johnny cougar" opened.
for the 3 people who care
Posted: Oct 7, 2007 7:18 pm

Paul Weller is a pretentious twat . Even his idol Pete Townshend says so.

Really? Where? I'd like to read that.
Posted: Oct 7, 2007 7:29 pm

pete townshend = glass house rock throwing if that's true
Posted: Oct 7, 2007 8:04 pm

I bought the All Around The World/Carnaby Street 45 on import when it came out. That was really it for me with them although parts of In The City are good too and Modern World. Even some of All Mod Cons is good too. But I don't really like any bands in costumes (Except Population 2 and The Wombles. And The Bay City Rollers. And Kiss. And The Ramones. All others suck except for some other ones I'll probably think of later.)
Posted: Oct 7, 2007 8:20 pm

Damn cool boot. I've always been a big Jam fan (though the last couple albums not so much as the first few).
Posted: Oct 7, 2007 8:33 pm

There's like 3 other songs on the Beat Surrender 12"... I don't remember all of them... but there is a chi-lites song and hey do war.

The Chi-Lites cover was "Stoned Out Of My Mind' which was okay and lead me to hearing the orignal. That version of War on it does totally suck though. 'Shopping' was decent but yeah, it was more Style Council sounding than the Jam.

I thought I liked the Style Council for their first singles cuz it was Paul Weller's new thing but realized by the time their album came out that I didn't really dig it much.

The Jam are one of the reasons why I always wanted to own a Ric...and the reason why I now do.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®