Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / query: S&H costs
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 10:31 pm

i'm ordering a t-shirt directly from a band for my buddy's birthday and I just got a message back that the S&H is $9!!!

um, do i have a right to bitch?
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 10:34 pm

yeah unless its like overnight airmail or something.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 10:39 pm

thanks, that's what i thought. i'll be polite though.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 2:03 am

FYI - maybe they are using a priority mail flat rate box. that rate is $8.95.
first class mail is probably just as fast - and probably WAY less.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 2:13 am | Edited by: Hugh Jass

$9 s&h for a shirt is ludicrous, unless it's wrapped up in silk or something. "Handling" costs are a total racket for a lot of sellers. Unless the seller is specifying priority mail, they're probably using some cheapo method and pocketing the extra as handling fees. And Teresa's right about Priority mail not being so fast. It's seldom worth the extra cost. The master tapes for our LP took a week to get to SF from Oakland. That's 13 miles!

And ever see some of the s&h costs people ask for on e-bay? I regularly see $6 or more to send an LP domestically. Where do these people get off with that crap? If they're afraid of the record selling too cheaply, they should just put a higher reserve and put a reasonable s&h cost.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 2:36 am

I charge $2 over actual postage on ebay, and $3 over actual if it's international. I state this on my "Me" page. If someone doesn't want to pay an extra two bucks for the box, adequate taping, packing material (bubble wrap as I sell a lot of glass) and the hour it takes me to pack something and drive to the post office and back and wait in line well, then, fuck em.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 2:51 am

Oh yeah...that $2 includes a Delivery Confirmation. If you don't have one of those on every domestic ebay package you send you are screwed. People are nuts, and you HAVE to have some kind of proof that it was mailed.
Also, the post office has seriously gone off its rocker. You can hardly sell anything on ebay anymore because shipping costs have gone up so much.
I've taken to sending everything I can in an envelope...boxes cost too much to ship.
Still, I'll agree. Nine dollars for a tshirt is insane.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 5:05 am

I'm gonna chime in on this one; the REAL reason that shipping and handling padding happens on ebay is that sellers don'tt have to pay fees on that $$ by ebay - we're just sticking it to tha man. I charge $3 shipping for LPs - it doesn't cost me that much. SOME fucking people sell shit for .01 and charge $10.00 for s&h. That's retarded but they're working the system. More power to em. As long as the buyer know the costs up front I don't have a problem with it.

As for the $9 s&h, those guys can fuck themselves. Instead of "being polite" you should just send them an email with a link to this thread. Let us be the assholes you cannot be.

"Motorcycle" by The Charles is a great song.

Just sayin
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 5:09 am

Let us be the assholes you cannot be.

a t-shirt waiting to happen!
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 5:19 am

for Goner Mailorder, we TRY to charge 1.00 over actual shipping price for the cost of the box (about .60) and "handling" which would be packing & ringing up & filling out customs forms, which, if we really added it up, would mean we made about $5 an hour packing & ringing orders full time. Party! We're not trying to make money on shipping. We regularly refund money on international orders placed via paypal because the shipping estimate on the cart gets messed up easily.

Ebay's another deal, it's understandable selling cheap and charging high shipping if that's how sellers make more money without ebay taking a cut-eird but understandable. Our only reall hassle on ebay was some hardcore punk rock collector in Holland who objected to our charging anything more than actual shipping costs. Whoo. Please.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 3:48 pm

Our only reall hassle on ebay was some hardcore punk rock collector in Holland who objected to our charging anything more than actual shipping costs.

Hence Dutch auction, Dutch treat, Dutch oven, Dutch barn and Dutch Hercules...
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 4:53 pm

Don't forget Double Dutch Bus.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 7:58 pm

the only time i don't charge actual on ebay is if my seller fees are higher than average, and then i pad it like a dollar.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 8:05 pm

i'm still waiting to hear back from them...
Posted: Sep 13, 2007 12:46 am

If they were "cool" they'd just send it to you for free... Some people.
Posted: Sep 13, 2007 1:06 am

With the "new' post office, actual S&H is a joke. I have a scale, and go to the USPS site to figure out how much it'll be. But, to post it on ebay, you can't give an actual, just a ballpark, because of the distance factor. I don't know if someone who buys my stuff is in Jackson, TN or Seattle.
And, like eric o said, international shipping is just a crap shoot. The info on the website may be much different than when you get up to the post office line. Which, you have to do if you're shipping internationally.
If I'm way off, I usually refund them some money...but it's all a guessing game.
Posted: Sep 13, 2007 1:13 am

it's all a guessing game.

that's for sure!

even at my local post office (a contract station, but official nonetheless), a package - same size, weight, etc - that i regularly send to toronto -- this one clerk tells me its one cost - and i know he's wrong - because i've sent it every week to the same address and know what it is supposed to be --- and its supposed to be $4.60...he tells me it is $1.72

had i listened to him, it would have been returned for insufficient postage - and that was with him using their magic scale where you punch in a country code, and it gives you the service options, etc.

the postal service is at its lowest point ever, i think. their clerks don't even know what services exist half the time! and their machines get shit wrong all the time.

i'm no fan of paying fedex and ups prices, but at least i know what they are!
Posted: Sep 13, 2007 4:13 pm | Edited by: Stephanie

If they were "cool" they'd just send it to you for free... Some people.

pfft...right?!

ok, he said that padded envelop is $1.75, tracking number so it doesn't get lost is .70, plus shipping costs and also the fee we have to pay to paypal for processing the payment.

That all equals $9? the T-shirt is already $18... and the thing is, this is for a SRB T-Shirt! Maybe I should just agree and insist that their "shipping costs" go to a Fred Smith scholarship fund or something...I don't know.
Posted: Sep 13, 2007 4:21 pm

is this coming from the my space page? that is run by gary rassmussen bass player in the band, if so i'd say suck it up and pay. if it's from somewhere else you should look into this option
Posted: Sep 13, 2007 4:26 pm

padded envelop is $1.75

What's padded is the cost.
Hi-yo!
Posted: Sep 13, 2007 4:32 pm

that is run by gary rassmussen bass player in the band, if so i'd say suck it up and pay

yeah, i know it's run by him, that's why i'm being polite (and thought twice about asking him about it) and just wanted to ask about it here.

I don't know.. I'm in the mindset that they (anyone) should up the price for whatever they're selling and have the shipping costs be the actual shipping costs.
Posted: Sep 13, 2007 4:37 pm

i just think they deserve whatever money they get, t-shirts go for much more then that at big concerts, etc... how much do you want it?
Posted: Sep 13, 2007 4:42 pm

i know, i know! I just had to ask! They're legends!!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®