Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Who or what "saved" you?
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 5:17 pm | Edited by: Stephanie

Inspired from andria's post.

that flyer saved me...

(that would be a good thread topic: who or what "saved" you?)

mine would be working with and meeting Josh Lumpkin at the Pick N Save when I was 17. He was in The Goners (no lie). My first basement show - which was actually in someone's family room in a suburb of Milwaukee. They were all obsessed with The Donnas and they'd always say "The Donnas all wanna fuck the The Gonnas" (in a sort of accent).
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 5:19 pm

one time when i was about 8 years old i was eating cherries in bed and a pit got lodged in my throat. i ran out to the living room, unable to breath, hands around my neck, and my step-dad turned me upside down and whacked me on the back until the pit shot out of my throat. thanks dad!
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 5:20 pm

I'm going to have to go with drugs in high school.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 5:24 pm

Cheapo Crypt Sampler #1 came along at a time in my life where I was into ska and swing music. It really helped turn me around.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 5:27 pm

man, ska's first two waves were great, but i have a feeling womb raider was gettin' down to mustard plug and skankin' pickle.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 5:31 pm

I'm going to have to go with drugs in high school.

word.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 5:32 pm

eh, I never really liked that midwestern shit too much but I did have a whole lot of moon records stuff. and I don't care what anyone says, the Pietasters were a great band before they signed to Epitaph.

I will admit to liking less than jake.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 5:34 pm

tard plug and skankin' pickle.

the K-hole of waves
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 5:34 pm

The Beatles and a guitar when I was nine.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 5:36 pm

i heard some psycho-billy band on the inner-web radio yesterday. not that i really care, but when did psycho-billy start sounding like straight up metal?
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 5:38 pm

what a great question, Miss S -- glad I could somehow inspire it!

I gotta say, even more than that RKL flyer, hearing Black Flag (with Dez on vocals, although I went through a brief, stupid Rollins phase an embarrassingly amount of years later) for the first time, and buying my first copy of the Stooges' Raw Power were life-altering moments, as was reading Burroughs' Junkie and Kerouac's On the Road.

I even remember marching into the suburban Turtles store in Roswell GA when "Do They Know It's Christmas?" was big and splurging on the Sex Pistols album. my folks knew they were in for it when that needle dropped into the grooves of "Anarchy" and that fucked-up sound started rattling through my daddy's procured-in-Okinawa-during-his-'Nam-stint oversized Pioneer speakers... life, for me, was never the same again.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 5:41 pm

one time when i was about 8 years old i was eating cherries in bed and a pit got lodged in my throat. i ran out to the living room, unable to breath, hands around my neck, and my step-dad turned me upside down and whacked me on the back until the pit shot out of my throat. thanks dad!

i once did this with ice cubes. i use to have a huge infatuation with them until one day when i was about the same age and choked. ran to my dad with hands around throat and he gave me the Heimlich Maneuver.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 5:43 pm

A Skateboard, a Minor Threat s/t cassette, and my dad's stash.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 5:45 pm

ran to my dad with hands around throat and he gave me the Heimlich Maneuver.

it would have melted down, duh.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 5:47 pm

1995 - a mix tape given to me by a co-worker. He was trying to get me to join his newly-formed band, and they only needed a drummer. The tape blew my mind.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 5:49 pm

I gotta say, even more than that RKL flyer, hearing Black Flag

When I was a wee tyke my parents made me a mixtape to listen to in my fisher price tape recorder. It had "TV Party" and "Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie" from the Damaged album on it, as well as Minor Threat's version of "Stepping Stone" and god knows what else. I think a rockabilly version of "Shortenin Bread" too. From ages 9-12 or so I thought of this as "lame parent music" and became a devotee of "rap", i.e. pre-gangsta top 40 shit like MC Hammer and Kris Kross.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 5:52 pm

parents made me a mixtape

you have to take patton oswalts advice and don't admit to having good taste in music because your kids will like and do the opposite of what you do and pretty much become assholes. like patton, just hand them a copy of phil collins' "no jacket required".
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 6:03 pm

I had fallen out of punk/rnr and veered off into the world of black/death metal as my guitar skills improved. I was lost in a dark void until I heard the Exploding Hearts and realized that rock n roll could still be great. So that's what saved me.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 6:04 pm

threw away your corpse paint with TWO hands, did you?
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 6:08 pm

Concert Cafe, Green Bay WI. There should be a list of every great release that's come out by people that grew up going there...it'd be a mile long!
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 6:15 pm | Edited by: Stephanie

so, Bazook was born with his record collection, huh?

oh yeah, drugs in high school......Thanks, Christina!!

ooh, i should say Green Bay, WI, too, but indirectly, as i've never lived there, but there are a handful of people who have lived there or are from there that have been there/caused life altering/changing moments for me.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 6:24 pm

so, Bazook was born with his record collection, huh?

there was no specific event. i mean, i loved hearing "surfin' bird" on the radio when i was a kid. i was buying surfaris cassettes from the grocery store when i was in jr. high, i got into punk in high school, i heard thee headcoats one day walking into a record store... what do you want from my life???
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 6:31 pm

just giving you shit
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 6:34 pm

thanks alot! i'm gonna go kill myself.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 6:40 pm

PS i don't know how many times i have to say it, but my collection is relativley small and lacking some of the most essential items ever.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 6:46 pm

collection is relativley small

oh SNAP!
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 6:47 pm

and by collection, i men collection.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 6:49 pm

MEN collection? alright dahmer...
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 6:51 pm

MEAN. you have way too much cock on the brain.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 6:52 pm | Edited by: arman

better than in my mouth.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 6:54 pm | Edited by: saispas

Buying The Replacements "Let It Be" from Randy Chertow at the Record Bar in The Mall of Memphis simply because I thought they looked cute on the cover.

Simultaneously receiving a mixtape with the Sex Pistols, Gun Club and the DKs from a friend from summer camp who lived in Nashville.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 6:55 pm

better than in my mouth.

you would know.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 7:11 pm

and you're STILL craving that shit, damn
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 7:13 pm

and you're STILL craving that shit, damn

i don't get it.

therefore... i win!
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 7:20 pm

alright dahmer...
oh shit that made everyone in the office look at me cause i couldn't help but laugh out loud..
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 7:21 pm

fumble recovered! I WIN!
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 7:22 pm

Jesus saves.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 7:22 pm

my record collection ain't so rad.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 7:27 pm

I only really thought my collection got cool when I added the Midnight Cowboy 45, and my James Chance Second Chance record. Then I took a step back and thought "I'm for real... dude".

As for saving...I actually give credit to DCR for giving me a Clone Defects cd...nice guy.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 7:36 pm | Edited by: elle

moving to memphis when i was 17 saved me. i had better access to better music than i did in a bumblefuck town in southern indiana. getting ahold of good stuff was only happening when i came down here for summer vacation previously to visit my dad who already lived here and the few times that i ran off to louisville without my mom knowing. my mom kicked me out and i moved in with my dad down here in memphis. the rest is history.

oh and drugs helped too. heh.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 7:36 pm

hearing Church Key by the Revels when I was 3 years old

hearing Television Marquee Moon for the first time - didn't know rock & roll could sound like that

Sex Pistols album

a cassette I made when I was about 18 with NY Dolls 1st on one side and Velvets Loaded on the other

another cassette about that same time with Toots & the Maytals Funky Kingston and Al Green Let's Stay Together

buying Boom by the Sonics in about 85

K-JUICE 1370 AM Solid Gold Soul - great R&B chart oldies from 60-79
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 8:30 pm

Is that why I never got my cd?

I have always been pretty rad. Life must be hard for you recovering losers.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 8:41 pm

Oddly enough, I was saved by my parents twice. I was a total loser dork kid living in Iowa in 1982. I thought I liked "punk" because I dug PIL, Clash, Ultravox, and Wall of Voodoo videos they played on MTV the year it started. When my mom went to visit family friends in SF, she told their punk rocker daughter that I liked punk and gave the girl some money to buy me some records. She brought me back a bunch of 7"es: Rudimentary Peni- Farce, Blitz- Razors in the Night ; JFA- Blatant Localism; Varukers- Never Surrender. She also got me MRR #3. I absorbed it all like a sponge and then became a total HC punk loser dork.

When I still could NOT fit in at school- even with the stoner freaks or the rennaisance faire geeks- the folks sent me away to a boarding school for losers 60 miles from NYC. On my vacations, I got to visit friends and family in Manhattan and Brooklyn and I always went to HC matinees at CBGB and A7. By the time I left that school after 11th grade I was so fully immersed in punk rock, I didn't care about anything else anymore and eventually dropped out of my local high school. Thanks Mom and Dad!
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 8:59 pm

and too, "saved" can mean different things to different people.

i still like all the same music i was always obsessed with (well, you know, there are exceptions), but just for me, learning that music can be a lot more accessible than I knew or really thought about before..... you know, DIY!

I was obsessed with Tori Amos when I met Josh and he worked at one of her shows when he lived in Virginai and he hugged her and I thought that was so cool. When I look back, he was kind of a dick to me but is still a really important person to me.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 9:01 pm

Is that why I never got my cd?

duly noted. ok, i'll get you your cd's. you'll be stoked. sorry, i've been busy getting loaded.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 9:10 pm

i've been busy getting loaded.

HUZZAH!
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 9:34 pm

the one night my dad walked into my room to shout at me to turn that shit off, but realized i was playing guitar and stopped and listened for a second. then left without saying anything.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 9:34 pm

I'm still waiting to get saved, and I'm getting pretty fucking impatient about it.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 9:40 pm

that would be a good thread topic: who or what "saved" you?

still waiting.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 9:43 pm

moving to memphis when i was 17 saved me.

Moving BACK to Memphis when I was 16 saved me too. While in retrospect, my West Memphis daze taught me a lot of things I would never have learned as a Midtown new wave girl attending Central, I needed to get the fuck out of that bayou backwoods to escape teen pregnancy, inevitable failing of high school and abusive wigger cradle robbers.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 9:47 pm | Edited by: tapecase jackson

I've always had impeccable taste in music...but if you mean when I got into punk/garage stuff, that would be when I heard White Stripes - White Blood Cells around when it first came out. I was really into underground hiphop at the time, but it was all turning to crap. I always dug Dead Kennedys, Clash, Misfits, etc., stuff I got into when I skated...but after I heard WBC I started discovering all the Detroit bands (Clone Defects, Gories, Dirtbombs, etc.) and learned to play guitar, and it was all over from there.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 9:49 pm

Adam from the Throbbin' Urges!
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 9:57 pm

Adam from the Throbbin' Urges!

i still have my Apathetics pin! best band name ever!
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 10:04 pm

I just puked a little!
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 10:14 pm

the one night my dad walked into my room to shout at me to turn that shit off, but realized i was playing guitar and stopped and listened for a second. then left without saying anything.

Reminds me of the time I was 13...rockin out in my bedroom playing guitar to Aqualung and my dad walks in right at "Snot is running down his nose"....he sighed and said "Dinner is ready"....hung his head and walked out.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 10:15 pm

he sighed and said "Dinner is ready"....hung his head and walked out.

probably disappointed his son was playing jethro tull.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 10:20 pm

i think i was trying to play a youth of today song
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 10:30 pm

eric gaffney circa 1991.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 10:30 pm

take these broken wings
by Mr. Mister
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 10:47 pm | Edited by: Golightly

probably disappointed his son was playing jethro tull.

Yeah...he was more of a ATOMIC ROOSTER man.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 11:04 pm

thrasher magazine
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 11:07 pm

eric gaffney circa 1991.

good shit. my older sister went to school out in western mass and her room mate gave me a copy of the freed man cassette around 1990. that kind of changed the direction of my music purchases for a few years.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 1:32 am

1989-a college radio station called WTOH,which i never could tune into before,magically came in.
they played black flag drink and drive,and then they played creep in the cellar by the butthole surfers.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 1:53 am

Cheapo Crypt Sampler #1 came along at a time in my life where I was into ska and swing music. It really helped turn me around.
There was a record store in Athens called the Outer Limits where they had a copy for like 4 bucks. Definitely sssssaved me.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 1:59 am

pbs stax doc and the goner board.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 2:01 am

wireless technology, electronic fund transfers and dogs
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 2:05 am

WTOH- - Top Of the Hill,brah!!!!

I used to know some DJs there in the mid-80s. Specifically Johnny Goldfinger and Keith from Vomit Spots.

But even aging myself further,i'd have to say it was the 1-2 Punch of my 6th Grade teacher talking about Sex Pistols and Iggy along w/ seeing Devo on Saturday Night Live shortly afterwards that got me right here.The Devo thing was my "Beatles On Ed Sullivan"moment,seeing a band that made perfect sense to me when nothing else did. The talk w/ Teach (Ms. Connell,later Mrs. Chaplin) was probably a chance for her to out- grossout our conversation about Kiss ("They throw up fake blood on stage- eeeewww!"),as she talked about how they spat on the audience and covered themselves in peanut butter,but it was pretty freaky stuff to my 11-year old self,and got me intrigued as to what the hell this crazy shit was. There's been no turning back since...
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 3:27 am

Reminds me of the time I was 13...rockin out in my bedroom playing guitar to Aqualung
Liar..........you were 17 when Aqualung came out (1971).
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 3:57 am

I would like to thank Misty White for showing me what a truly awful thing it is to be a deadhead.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 4:30 am

I would like to thank Misty White for showing me what a truly awful thing it is to be a deadhead.

Moi aussi. She was the first specimen of this I ever met.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 4:43 am

that kind of changed the direction of my music purchases for a few years.

I bought Phantom Surfers "18 Deadly Ones" around 1992 and that took me in a whole new direction musically.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 5:01 am

Moi aussi.

Somebody from Germany translate this shit.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 5:01 am

My Austrailian don't make no sense.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 5:02 am

what a truly awful thing it is to be a deadhead

Dude. I got some totally kind rice krispie treats in my bag.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 5:04 am

skateboarding, and the idea of new wave / punk.

just the knowledge that other people thought that all the music on the radio was bullshit was so fucking great.

saved, and ruined me for life.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 5:13 am

Moi aussi.

Nein. C'est la grenouilleuse (=FROGGIE.) its french for "me too"

as for real life people, bill heiden taught me everything about photography and music and i inherited his job at the record store. i was never ever even a fraction as nice as he was when people asked for crap product.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 5:23 am

Moi aussi.

well, i am trying to translate literally i think it amounts to your a pussy that smells like patchouli and like the dead but are looking to get you hair cut so that the interview at the corporate job goes smoothly.

of course, i could be wrong
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 5:25 am

Totally wrong, brah. Thanks for the drum circle invite.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 6:13 am

Listened to 77 punk in highschool but veered off into the world of black/death metal as my snorting skills improved. Heard "Do the Milkshake" on Radio VH1 while slacking off at work and thought it was terrible and unlistenable but couldn't stop thinking about how much I disliked it. Looked the oblivians up after my lunch break, listened to Big Black Hole and was blown away. Totally saved me, I didn't think there was any good punk/rock and roll around, much less in Memphis.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 6:16 am

Funniest thing about all this shit (besides the fact that I STILL don't have an edit feature) is that I found the garage punk forums when I was 16 or 17, visited a couple of times and wrote it off as a bunch of shit with a lot of morons writing about bands with shitty names. Wish I'd found out about Goner then though..
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 6:46 am

JOHN WATERS MOVIES
-Deperate Living
-Pink Flamingos

THE CRAMPS
-Interview in Incredibly Strange Music
-Born Bad comps
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 11:39 am

Chronologically:

My dad, on a beach in Cornwall when I was a kid and had been dragged under while surfing
My cousin, by introducing me to the wide world of rock'n'roll at age 12
Rock'n'roll 24/7
My friends, all the times I've ever f-ed up or made stoopid decisions (too many to count)
Nadia, for obvious reasons!
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 11:58 am | Edited by: michael baker

i was a kid and i saw phil hubbard battle nick weatherspoon from courtside in a local HS basketball playoff game; my best friend in HS had a brother in a "blues" cover band--he had records by muddy, bo, wolf; in the summer before 9th grade i was told by 8th grade teacher to read gatsby--i read asll and i think the zelda bio came out soon after so i read that, and criticism of Fitzgerald, and a few biographies and then tried that guy Hemingway's books and...
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 12:31 pm

It was a series of events...

*Metallica's "Garage Days Re-Re Visited" piqued my interest in the Misfits. I was already losing interest in 80's glam heavy metal at that point and had started buying death metal tapes when I had the money.

*Buying a Mentors tape, thinking that they were a death metal band.

*Ordering a ROIR catalog after seeing their ad in the back of Circus, which introduced me to G.G. Allin. Once I got some X-mas $ from Grandma, I went to Northern Lights on University in Frogtown and bought "Hated in the Nation"

*A friend of mine gave me a copy of "Decline of Western Civilization: Pt. 1" that he had stolen.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 12:55 pm

Oh yeah! I almost drowned in Pinetree Pond when I was six. Fortunately, my older sister Lisa was there to save me.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 1:33 pm

It seems that a lot of people almost drown! My dad rescued me from the waves in St Lucia when I was a baby, but it was the silly bastard who let go of me in the first place, so he don't get no good karma!
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 5:36 pm

Concert Cafe, Green Bay WI. There should be a list of every great release that's come out by people that grew up going there...it'd be a mile long!

For sure, it'd be huge. And what was funny is that those people are all within a few years of each other, it was one generation of kids that all came together from all over the state. Timebomb Tom had an enormous influence on WI music over the past couple decades. Kraftbrau closing made me think of the Cafe, sad when there's such an amazing venue in a small town with a rabid following - there are rarely other viable options, unlike in bigger cities.

Nothing "saved" me, listened to the old man's Beatles/Beach Boys/Cash records, picked up Devo and whatever as a kid, started reading about punk bands a little later and picked up Pistols/Ramones/Saints and whatever. I lived in nowheresville, not a single person liked anything beyond radio or classic rock stuff. Just seemed to gravitate towards it. Back From the Grave/Nuggets/Sonics records had a big influence, though, as did hearing that 70s punk stuff. Spacemen 3 and the NZ Flying Nun records were a big breakthough for psych/pop.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 7:06 pm

Typical high school alienation/skateboarding/drugs combo but I was already a weirdo due to genetics and my older brother's weird-ass record collection.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 7:14 pm

Internet! I would've never known about all this cool music without internet. When I was 24 I was still listening to that alternative MTV crap with those crappy friends (musically speaking) I got stuck with in this lame village in the middle of nowhere. Second important life saver, my car. It has brought me to hundreds of shows all over Europe.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 7:18 pm

Ramones, Misfits and atheism.

Oh, drugs too.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 7:43 pm

Napster and allmusic.com in 1999. I had no access to a record store, no money, was a jock honor student, only got CDs on Christmas or my birthday, and previously used the internet only for porn. I had taken piano lessons and my dad had a record collection with the clash and the sex pistols but i never really liked either. Shortly after being able to download music for free I dropped acid and smoked weed for the first time the same night. Everything was much better after that.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 7:57 pm

The Kids Are Alright
Live at Leeds
Village Green Preservation Society

Buying The Replacements "Let It Be" from Randy Chertow at the Record Bar in The Mall of Memphis simply because I thought they looked cute on the cover.

I bought the I'm Not Your Soldier Anymore LP when it first came out purely out of them looking so cool on the cover....freaking out about it the next day to my friend, he pointed to this dude on the cover and said "oh my god, this guy's entire catalogue is fucking great". So then I bought Best of the Worst and listened to side A of the 1st record religiously (Don't Haunt Me overandoverandover)....then I bought Bluff City....

Thank You, Deadly Snakes!
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 8:02 pm

and atheism.

Me too!
I swear to God!
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 8:03 pm

HEE-HAW!!!
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 9:20 pm

i don't know if there's any single thing that "saved" me as much as it was a series of small things leading up to my first year of college where i was introduced to --

butthole surfers, big black, the residents, jesus lizard/scratch acid......and lots & lots of drugs.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 9:43 pm

atheism! yes.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 9:59 pm

accidently buying the Pagans Street Where Nobody Lives lp and not selling in
subsequent Stalin-like record purges...

and meeting Useless Eater and Dutch Hercules
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 10:00 pm

"not selling IT" jesus i stupid
Posted: Sep 13, 2007 1:45 am

and Keith from Vomit Spots.
vomit spots still do reunion shows every christmas
Posted: Sep 13, 2007 6:02 pm

Don Kirshner's Rock Concert
Night Flight
TV shows w/ punk story lines or interviews
Newhart (80's)
SCTV
Creem Magazine
the hype of 77' punk/ New Wave
the reality of 80's HC
rock climbing
early snowboarding w/o real bindings, out of bounds
Visions of Cody by Kerouac
Will by Liddy
Answer Me!
Posted: Sep 13, 2007 7:20 pm

Night Flight!

good answer
Posted: Sep 14, 2007 2:13 am

Living in the boondocks, it was an FM transistor radio that allowed me to pick up a rock station from Jackson, Mississippi, with album sides and no static, and the drugs helped, too. Free psychedelics in every cowfield, yessir.
Posted: Sep 14, 2007 2:34 am

a couple things.

my friends older brother taking us to see laughing hyenas in a basement of a co-op in east lansing. a couple of months later we saw mule play in that same basement. that really got me into exploring more underground type of shit.

also, going into FBC to buy extra width and tom potter taking me under his wing and hipping me to the gories, the hentchmen, etc...

lastly,when i was livin in k-zoo, my roomate brian cheney(RIP) made me finally pull out those stones and kinks records i had gotten from my girlfriends dad. i was thinking it was just lame classic rock. i was wrong.
Posted: Sep 14, 2007 5:42 am

1)jason rhea...who moved me to memphis and got me the fuck out of phoenix mere days before i was set to move to seattle, wa. i lurve him.

2)and being a military brat.
3)oh, and not being skinny.

you appreciate things a lot more when boys arent chasing after you. i spent more time compensating for what i dont have in looks with far better things, like smarts, a sense of humor, and music/film/literature.
Posted: Sep 14, 2007 5:49 am

beauty is skin deep. ugly is to the bone.
Posted: Sep 14, 2007 6:02 am

frank leith - the wacked out baptist/republican freak who turned me onto the ramones

the plasma center - they paid for most of the records during my college days

jacob leinenkugel - a god
Posted: Sep 14, 2007 6:19 am

beauty is skin deep. ugly is to the bone.

eh, but beauty can be overcome with a nice bone.

those of us with neither are unfucked...

*sigh*
Posted: Sep 14, 2007 10:28 pm

Didn't read all of this, but I can't help but noticing that all of the things that saved my life...... at some point ruined my life.
Posted: Sep 14, 2007 11:00 pm

1986. Skateboarding. Met another kid who let me borrow his "Let Them Eat Jellybeans" comp.
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 12:05 am

Dr Demento!
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 12:17 am

A guy loaned me a cassette of Never Mind The Bollocks in 1979.

Interview with Duane Peters in Action Now Magazine

Standing in line at Magic Mountain behind Jeff and Steve McDonald.
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 2:05 am

Dr Demento!

YES!!! Thank god when i used to go visit my dad in l.a. when i was a tot he'd always play dr. d for me. that had a HUGE impact on me.
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 2:52 am

Yeah! The Funny V introduced me to Napolean Thee XIV
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 5:27 pm

you appreciate things a lot more when boys arent chasing after you.

Leah, you are a genius. That is the most profound fucking statement I have heard in FOREVER.
Jason saved me a couple times, too.
Moving to Iowa City in 2004 also saved me, literally. Saved my life.
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 1:13 am

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®