Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Best place to buy inexpensive Apple computer stuff online?
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 3:01 am | Edited by: saispas

Our iBook needs a new battery and natch, Apple's price is crazy.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 3:13 am

That's what you get for buying Apple. Work somewhere where they give you that shit for free... or buy a $400 computer from Wal-Mart and be done with it.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 3:22 am

That is way too easy an answer. The "Genius" at the Apple Store even told us not to buy it there and hinted to look online but could not give us names cos well, he'd get fired. My work computer is a circa 2001 HP laptop that weighs about 10 lbs.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 3:44 am

just look on ebay. there are a ton of sellers on there for batteries. just make sure its your exact model...etc, and use a seller with nice feedback. i bought a battery from one of these guys for short money and its been spot on.

its seems its best to look for the OEM batteries, but a generic equivilent might be solid too. i'm too nervous for those things.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 3:51 am

i use craigslist.

shrug
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 5:23 am

ebay. craigslist and then there's the macmall??
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 5:28 am

a friend of mine runs a small online deal, maccessorize.com. i really dont know if he has batteries and shit, but i know he has ac adapters and crap like that.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 3:04 pm

buy a $400 computer from Wal-Mart

Or just send dollars straight to north Korea
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 3:27 pm

Thanks all--I won't buy a generic as I have heard nightmares re: these things destroying the computers, even easy stuff like power adapters.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 3:55 pm

Powermax.com is pretty reasonable, and I've found some deals on MacMall. Also, you can check the refurbished section on the Apple site.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 4:18 pm

Powermax is certainly the cheapest--thanks! Any tips on how to get them lasting longer? I have a MacBook and get a pretty long charge out of it, but it is only a year old. I have been running the battery out to about 25% and then recharging.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 4:48 pm

i think that after a year, the charge-life of a battery drops way down.
your new battery will probably be great for a year +/-

i am just experiencing that w/ the crappy dell i bought because the whole laptop cost less than getting a new monitor for my iBook. my charge lasts 30 minutes or less; i used to have close to 2 hours..
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 5:57 pm

Apple claims their batteries keep 80% of their capacity after 300 cycles. I've had my MacBook since April and I've gone through 137 cycles.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 6:48 pm

the battery on my ibook was indestructible and made an honest claimant of Apple. the battery on my dell is crap
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 8:07 pm

How about external hard drives for a Mac? I need to pick one up cause I burned all my CDs to my computer and sold them. If it crashes now, I'll lose all that junk. Anyone got a recommendation of what brand or model is good?
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 9:19 pm

Apple claims their batteries keep 80% of their capacity after 300 cycles.
I have had mine since Oct 06 and am on 304..thanks col bat. This thing is full of interesting tidbits.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 5:18 am

i bought a 250 gig LACIE hardrive a couple years back. at the time that was a ton of memory, and i shelled some cash out for it, but i think that a 250gig would be cheap as shit now. i put more music than i ever care to listen to on it and it still has a ton of room.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 5:52 am

You in Tac yet??
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 5:56 am

Sorry thought this was a Bowie thread
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 6:08 pm

How about external hard drives for a Mac? I need to pick one up cause I burned all my CDs to my computer and sold them. If it crashes now, I'll lose all that junk. Anyone got a recommendation of what brand or model is good?

I bought a LACIE too. Love it.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®