Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Four-CD set showcases best of San Francisco '60s music
Posted: Sep 3, 2007 9:07 pm

Posted: Sep 3, 2007 9:47 pm

a must have!!!

although i think i have most
Posted: Sep 3, 2007 11:19 pm

a must have ... to shove up a hippies ass!

i wish i had something more clever to say, but that sounds like shit.
Posted: Sep 4, 2007 1:15 am

what the collection?
Posted: Sep 4, 2007 1:55 am

to shove up a hippies ass!
Nah, that's pretty funny
Posted: Sep 4, 2007 2:00 am

Except for Creedence Clearwater Revival, Palao includes key pieces by every major San Francisco band of the era - Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Santana, Steve Miller Band, Quicksilver Messenger Service, etc. - alongside many baffling minor figures.

"If I put out a box set of San Francisco clique Top 10 bands, it wouldn't be much fun to listen to," he says.

Palao certainly develops his own orthodoxy about the scene, elevating some acts seen as minor at the time - such as the little-known Frumious Bandersnatch - or expanding the perimeters of the scene to include an entire disc called "Suburbia" that features bands from outlying regions such as San Jose (Count Five) and Cupertino (Chocolate Watchband) that had little to do with the Fillmore-Avalon scene.

" 'Psychotic Reaction' by Count Five may have been a little blip," he says, "but that little blip was as exciting as anything on the first album by the Airplane or the Dead."

wow man, thanks!
Posted: Sep 4, 2007 2:42 am

Frumious Bandersnatch

killer stuff joe
Posted: Sep 4, 2007 3:00 am

but having to buy a box set with Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Santana, Steve Miller Band to get to it is retarded.
Posted: Sep 4, 2007 1:07 pm

Alec is a lovely guy, and has impeccable taste, but even he couldn't bake a cake like this box set without garnishing it with some turds from the 'Dead, etc...

"This year, of all years, we would be covered in Baby Boomer nostalgia, and most of it pretty ugly," he says. "I knew I could sell a Summer of Love package. But I decided to do something classier and make it a history of Northern California rock, 1965 to 1970."

...at least it'll introduce some old hippies to the stuff they SHOULD have been listening to! Ditto for the teen Deadhead/jam band bozos with $65 fer Xmess (whoops, sorry, Winter Solstice)...
Posted: Sep 4, 2007 6:51 pm

Wait ... if you like that, you might like this:

There is going to be a big 60's Rock Reunion Show at the Saddle Rack in Fremont on September 9th. Many of the Bands featured in both Bruce Tahsler's second edition book, "Garage Bands from the 60's - Then and Now" and the just released ACE records CD titled - 'You Got Yours' - will be performing at the show. This concert will also be the last show promoted by legendary East Bay Rock promoter... Bill Quarry.

Headlining the show will be the original members of the Tower Of Power horn section performing with the 'Spyders' - another popular 60's Bay Area act.

Also appearing is the compilation band of some of the most popular 'Garage Bands' of that era... "Peter Wheat and the Breadmen, The Fendermen, Tommy Narducchi and the Hustlers, Mark and the Uptowners, plus a couple of new faces added on.

Other bands appearing are: The Just 6, Just Truckin', Delta Wires, Misanthropes, Gin House Blues Band
Posted: Sep 5, 2007 12:38 am

Man, thanks for posting that - right in my backyard but I hadn't heard about it...
Posted: Sep 5, 2007 12:38 am

expanding the perimeters of the scene to include an entire disc called "Suburbia" that features bands from outlying regions such as San Jose (Count Five) and Cupertino (Chocolate Watchband) that had little to do with the Fillmore-Avalon scene.

Can I buy just this disc?
Posted: Sep 5, 2007 12:51 am

i think the best part IS:

expanding the perimeters of the scene to include an entire disc called "Suburbia" that features bands from outlying regions such as San Jose (Count Five) and Cupertino (Chocolate Watchband) that had little to do with the Fillmore-Avalon scene.

because it shows that bill graham had a lock only on a SLICE of SF music. its a very nice way to redirect history away from st. bill.

for people who did not grow up in california and know only about the SF / bay area music from history and the records it left behind... i hate to tell you this

BUT

LIVE AND IN PERSON -- all those band you hate .... were the most popular and concert-hall-filling groups in the CITY. really. sorry. not my fault. blame bill graham and herbie herbert (who is actually a real sweetheart; just has questionable taste in music)

in punk rock days, metropolitan sf's most popular and successful bands were NOT the dead kennedys or avengers or mutants or nuns or flipper or a host of others.... they were HUEY LEWIS, SANTANA, JOURNEY.... we california punk people in the 70s called huey lewis "huge loogey."
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®