Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Comercial Media Nerd Help
Posted: Sep 2, 2007 9:54 pm
I'm working on a video project for school this weekend and I'm wanting to use some photographs from the web. What's the legal policy on use of other's photos (in an educational video psa)? Is there any kind of fair-use deal out there? I know with sound you can use a portion of audio as long as it's under a certain time, relevant to the story, and not for profit. But I'm not sure about photos.

I would ask an instructor, but I won't see one until the project is due. Their policy is pretty much anything is ok so long as it's legal.

What would be the minimum resolution you'd want to use for a photo going in to Avid?

Also, I don't seem to have any plug-ins that will let me do the motion-control/Ken Burns thing with photos in Avid (unless I'm just not looking in the right place). Is there another way to do this without buying a plug-in?

Any resources on the web that have free hi-res photos? Preferably war shit.
Posted: Sep 2, 2007 10:11 pm
im pretty sure fair use copyright law says you can use pretty much any picture as long as its nonprofit and for academic work. is it actually going to be broadcast? if not and its just for the classroom setting it seems that it would be legal to use any photos, just as long as its not being published or uploaded to the web. provide a credit line if possible.
Posted: Sep 2, 2007 10:29 pm | Edited by: Rachelandthecity
I know with sound you can use a portion of audio as long as it's under a certain time, relevant to the story, and not for profit

My recollection is a little cloudy from doing music supervision 4 years ago for RCN - but that whole 8 seconds scenario is not true at all. (you can use so much without having to get permission.)

Even if it's for not for profit - you still have to get a release - now that's not to say that anyone would actually come after you or anything would happen - so, when you use it it's at your own discretion - but at Ardent Records we are constantly dealing with students who want to use material for projects and not for profit type stuff.

Now, I think there is a come type of clause for things that are considered newsworthy - and thas how news organizations get around having releases signed for everything - but if they do some type of montage sequence with music under it - it's probably covered under their ASCAP agreement. At RCN we had a lawyer on staff and we were constantly working with many different scenarios- so take everything I say with a grain of salt!!! Once I interviewed BB King at BB King's in NYC and we asked if we would use 20 seconds of footage of his performance that night, he said absolutely, his manager signed a release, but BMI still ended up making us pay 1800 to use it!!! And it was a show about how BB KIng's was voted the best place in the city to see live music!!!

BTW, I recently heard that Univeral released the rights to any of their songs to be used in Youtube Videos or something - but of course, we re supposed ot be talking about photos.

For photos - I would assume you would go by the same guidlines as you would for publishing them to the web:

1. Photographs are covered by copyright law the moment they are developed in the photo lab. Do not use someone else's photos unless you have their permission, and it's always a good idea to give credit to the photographer as a courtesy.

2. When adults are featured in a photo and they are easily identifiable (i.e., they are the main or only subject of the picture), make sure you have their permission. Newspaper and magazine photographers carry with them release forms, which they ask the subjects to sign. Release forms basically say, "I give my permission for the photos taken of me on this date to be used by this magazine in any way the magazine staff chooses." A release form protects against possible law suits. You might not need it for your website; you'll have to decide if there is any risk involved.

3. When children are identifiable in a photo, do NOT use this picture without permission of their parents or guardians. Frequently, schools ask for signatures on release forms at the beginning of each school year. This can include use of photos on their websites.

4. Group shots, silhouettes, long-distance views, and other photos that don't feature anyone in particular require no special permission for publishing on the Web. But you may still need the photographer's permission to republish - and again, it''sa good idea to give the photographer credit

Now, if this thing is only going to be shown to your instructor and/or your class - there's not much to worry about because probably no one there has any interest in questioning whether you received permission.

But if I saw a photo that I had taken in a PSA and had not been asked my permission - even though it was for a non-profit or for a good cause, etc - I would probably be upset simply because the user didn't have the courtesy to ask.

Of, course does everyone follow these guidelines - nope, I know that I don't.

The real question I guess is - who is your audience and what is the scenario in which if you choose not to follow these guidlines how can it come back to bite you in the ass - i think Perex Hilton is currently getting sued for 4 million bucks.

Anyway, you should probably just ask Theresa K.
Posted: Sep 2, 2007 10:54 pm
Thanks Rachel. It's for a 60 sec television spot that will never be aired. Regardless, we have to have all of our projects turned in following real-world laws (as if it was being aired). I have limited resources for this subject, so I'm playing with the idea of plugging in stills in the video. We covered bed music and I know what I can get away with there, but we never talked about photos. Some of the things I'm looking at would be damn near impossible to credit. I can figure something else out.
Posted: Sep 2, 2007 11:03 pm
im pretty sure fair use copyright law says you can use pretty much any picture as long as its nonprofit and for academic work.

not really. not enough facts here to make that decision

billy - drop me an email and i'll tell you everything you need to know.
i've made dozens of PSA in my lifetime
Posted: Sep 2, 2007 11:04 pm
PS - copyright law fair use thingie applies ONLY to the NEWS and obits on the NEWS - ie: walter cronkite level stuff - not even for private charities, and not so much anymore for PBS.
Posted: Sep 2, 2007 11:05 pm
and PPS - billy, i can tell you how to make it look like the pictures are moving even though you don't have the motion control tool
Posted: Sep 2, 2007 11:12 pm
billy, i can tell you how to make it look like the pictures are moving e

drink maker's mark and jump up and down
Posted: Sep 3, 2007 1:02 am
Bed Music!
Posted: Sep 3, 2007 1:08 am
Isn't that a Julianna Hatfield album?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

  Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®