Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / West Virginia named top party college
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 10:25 am | Edited by: Mullett

I went to Ohio U. Drunk, fat, & stupid is indeed no way to go through life, but I'm doing it anyways.

MORGANTOWN, West Virginia (AP) -- To the disappointment of school administrators -- and the pride of some students -- West Virginia University is No. 1 on The Princeton's Review's annual list of the top 20 party schools.

The school has made the list seven times in the past 15 years, despite efforts to curb underage drinking and rowdy behavior.

But not since 1997 have the Mountaineers taken the top spot. Last year, WVU was No. 3, bested by the University of Texas at Austin and Penn State, both of which remain in the top 10 this year.

Senior Katie O'Hara, 22, said WVU is No. 1 because "no matter what kind of party you want it's here -- bars, fraternities, house parties. ... If you want to take shots all night, there's a bar; no matter what you want to do, it's there."

Still, O'Hara said her friends "know how to manage their time. They know when to party and when not to," which wouldn't explain the school's No. 1 ranking in the category of Their Students (Almost) Never Study.

The rankings are contained in the 2008 edition of "The Best 366 Colleges," which is going on sale Tuesday and is based on a survey of 120,000 college students at those schools, mostly during the 2006-07 school year.

Top Party Schools
1. West Virginia University
2. University of Mississippi
3. University of Texas, Austin
4. University of Florida
5. University of Georgia
6. Penn State University
7. University of New Hampshire
8. Indiana University, Bloomington
9. Ohio University, Athens
10. University of California, Santa Barbara Coming in second on the party list was the University of Mississippi, followed by the University of Texas-Austin, the University of Florida and the University of Georgia.

West Virginia's No. 1 ranking is just speculation, said West Virginia sophomore Stuart Sauer.

"I think there's no way to measure that," said Sauer, 20, of Richmond, Virginia. "Every school's a party school."

Incoming WVU President Mike Garrison focused on the positive rather than the rankings, saying the students he met over the weekend and on the first day of classes Monday are more concerned with their futures "and with the great year we have ahead" than with partying.

"I'm focused on the way this university changes people's lives, the research that we do and the service we provide to the state of West Virginia," said Garrison, who officially replaces David C. Hardesty Jr. on September 1. "This is a special place, and the whole state is proud of it."

The Princeton Review says the guide to the best schools is intended to help applicants who can't visit every school in person.

Top Sober Schools
1. Brigham Young University
2. Wheaton College (Illinois)
3. Thomas Aquinas College (California)
4. College of the Ozarks (Mo.)
5. Grove City College (Pa.)
6. U.S. Coast Guard Academy
7. U.S. Air Force Academy
8. U.S. Naval Academy
9. City University of New York, Queens College
10. Webb Institute (N.Y.)
Guide author Robert Franek said each of the 366 schools "is a 'best' when it comes to academics.

"But as anyone visiting colleges can attest, their campus cultures and offerings differ greatly," he said. "It's all about the fit."

At the other end of the partying spectrum is Brigham Young University, claiming the top spot in the "Stone Cold Sober" category for the 10th straight year.

The book has 62 categories in all, including: Best Campus Food, Virginia Tech; Most Beautiful Campus, Sweet Briar (Virginia); Dorms Like Palaces, Smith College (Massachusetts); and Birkenstock-Wearing, Tree-Hugging, Clove-Smoking Vegetarians, Hampshire College (Massachusetts).

This year, WVU finishes among the Top 10 in several other categories: No. 4 in Students Pack the Stadiums; No. 5 for Best College Library; No. 6 for Lots of Beer; No. 7 for Lots of Hard Liquor; and No. 8 for Best College Newspaper.

The Princeton Review, which is not affiliated with Princeton University, is a New York company known for test preparation courses, educational services and books. It published its first survey findings in August 1992.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/20/party.schools.ap/index.html
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 3:52 pm

The only thing this place doesn't have is any good local bands, venues, record stores, or any semblance of an underground music scene. If you want college rock, hip-hop, or metalcore, WVU is your place.

This is also like the fifth time they've been voted top party school.
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 3:56 pm

UT-Knoxville used to be on that list...with good reason. I feel for those poor saps stuck up on The Hill these days; now more 5-for-1's and $1 Pitchers!
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 5:50 pm

way back when, the head honchos at the University of Georgia turned down the Animal House producers' request to film on campus... thought it might harm the school's rep. goes to show that you can't put a finger in the dyke...
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 6:46 pm

Univ of Oregon actually took Animal House on and wow! Oregon is STILL boring!
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 7:03 pm

I went to Ohio U.

Got any good ghost stories?
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 12:44 am

I went to Ohio U.

Got any good ghost stories?

You know what, I don't. The housing part of the campus was divided up in to East, West, South, & new South Greens, so the old mental institution was known as North Green. Not only did I never venture up there (I only went one year), but I never saw the demonic face on the one dorm room that has been since turned into a boiler room 'cause no one would live in it.

There was an old airport hanger that was converted into a bar called, of course, The Hanger. Their deal was $5 at the door, then nickel drafts. It was Burger Beer that made you pee out your butt the next day.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 3:51 am

I'm from Athens, the ridges is where you went on a dare when you took psychedelics. Not really all that scary, but of course there is the big blood stain on the floor of one of the rooms and the graveyard with numbers instead of names on the tombstones. It's now the home of the graduate art students.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 4:10 am

Yeah I went and hung out at OU with a friend of the family when I was like 12 or 13, and he told me all the stories...scared the shit out of me. He took me to the library so I could read all the stuff in the archives. We went up to the ridges and looked at all the numbered gravestones. I was really fascinated by everything, but I scared shitless when I tried to sleep that night!
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 6:05 am

Since this thread has gone from party school to Ohio U spook stories, I've included the following link to what used to be one of most favorite sites.

www.deadohio.com
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 7:42 am

all i did was party when i went there. probably why i don't go there anymore. heh.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 7:46 am

all i did was party when i went there. probably why i don't go there anymore. heh.

That is one place that I always wanted to go, but never made it. For all the bands in the late 70s that came out of there like MX-80 Sound, Gizmos, & Dancing Cigarettes, that place had to be out of control.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 6:06 pm

oddly enough for being such a party school, the level of academics is pretty great. it was pretty tough. i would love to go back now that i'm not such a raging fuck up. i ended up having a gpa (under a 2.0) that took me over 2 years of nothing but straight a's to rescue because i just never went to class all that often.

i'll ask my dad about those bands. he ended up going back to college right around that time to iu. he was a little bit older and more serious of a student then though, so i dunno. he was more of a partier when he went to purdue in the late 60's.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 11:52 pm

oddly enough for being such a party school, the level of academics is pretty great

Ohio University's Scripps School of Journalism is fantastic & when I was there, was considered one of the 3 best J schools w/ FSU & Arizona or AZ State.

I had a friend who went to IU for music. It's as well regarded as Julliard, but isn't as posh sounding. She quit after 2 years because she could pretty much play anything she wanted on piano & by then, they'd beaten the joy of playing music out of her.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 11:56 pm

i can understand. they certainly beat the joy of speaking japanese out of me. heh.
Posted: Aug 27, 2007 6:38 am

<i>19781982 Indiana University Art Museum in Bloomington, Indiana</i>

Didn't know that was designed by I.M. Pei, the Chinese guy who designed the Rock Hall of Fame. Is it awesome?
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 6:42 am

yes. it is pretty awesome. the atrium in it is really cool. all glassed in and angular. super neat. it's free admission, or least it used to be. i haven't been up there in a few years so that may have changed. lots of cool exhibits and they've got hardwood floors throughout most of it and a nice little cafe too.
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 7:29 am

I like to party....COLLEGE HERE I CUM!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®