R.I.P.

I love Max Roach!
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 6:36 pm

I love him too!

RIP.
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 6:43 pm

RIP
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 7:44 pm

-looks like my neighbors are about to enjoy (or not) We Insist! Max Roach's Freedom Now Suite.

RIP
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 8:00 pm

Yeah, just saw this. RIP, bad muffukka ...

Legendary jazz drummer Max Roach dies at 83
By CORTNEY HARDING
Billboard.com
NEW YORK Acclaimed be-bop drummer and composer Max Roach died in his sleep early this morning (Aug. 16) at age 83 in New York, according to a spokesperson from Blue Note Records. The cause of death was not announced.
Considered one of the most influential drummers in jazz and beyond, Roach was born Jan. 10, 1924, in Newland, N.C., and moved to Brooklyn, N.Y., as a child. Raised in a musical family, he started drumming with gospel bands at age 10 and played with Duke Ellington at 16.
Roach recorded more than 70 albums, working with luminaries like Ellington, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Charles Mingus and Sonny Rollins. In 1952, he co-founded Debut Records with Mingus and released the groundbreaking live album "Jazz at Massey Hall," featuring Parker, Gillespie, Bud Powell and Mingus.
He went on to record albums with Dinah Washington and Ellington, and in 1966 released a solo album, "Drums Unlimited." The record, containing several tracks comprised solely of drum solos, caused a stir at the time and remains one of the few records of its sort to date.
A longtime civil rights advocate, Roach in 1960 released a seven-section suite themed around slavery and racism, "We Insist! Max Roach's Freedom Now Suite," that featured vocalist Abbey Lincoln, who he married two years later.
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 8:08 pm

One of my all-time favorite jazz records is Ellington, Mingus, Roach - Money Jungle. A masterpiece and thee best lazy weekend afternoon record of all time...

I got to see Max Roach and Cecil Taylor at Columbia Univ outside the main green and it was quite a show! First reunion since their 1979 concert at Columbia...quite amazing...
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 8:13 pm

I was just looking for that quote by Max (when he played at the White House) wherein he attributed music's progress in the 30's to the "wide open" nature of Boss Prendergast's Kansas City.

The man was not just a player, he was a thinker

He also said, in that same interview, that jazz was the "real music of democracy"
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 8:13 pm

Northsea Jazz festival, 1977. Roach, Reggie Workman, Cecil Bridgewater, Billy Harper, no piano. I sat at Billy Harper's feet while he played a 20 minute sax solo. Utterly mindblowing.
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 8:31 pm

Money Jungle

FUCK yes - a really great album... R.I.P.....wish I coulda seen him play just once...a guy I knew studied Jazz at a music school on the east coast & said Max Roach performed at a concert they held...said he did a 20 minute snare solo! - SNARE SOLO!....damn....
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 8:33 pm

fuck.

saw him live in the mid-90's. he was fantastic. did the most amazing solo on his high hat stand, just the stand. the Rollins, Roach, Clifford Brown band put out some of the most insane music ever.

RIP
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 9:02 pm

I sat at Billy Harper's feet while he played a 20 minute sax solo. Utterly mindblowing.
I fuckin LOVE Billy Harper...a true heir to Trane...

said he did a 20 minute snare solo!

Yeah, I would say the first piece at the gig with Cecil Taylor was over 1-hour - and these were guys in their late 70s and early 80s...insane...
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 9:13 pm | Edited by: eric o

tough. RIP. money jungle does rule.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 12:47 am

He might have been the last great surviving jazz drummer.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 12:55 am

Aww man. Lame.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 12:55 am

Ed Blackwell, Elvin Jones and Tony Williams are all gone. Now Max. There are still greats out there but not legends.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 2:04 am

Aw man! R.I.P.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 3:43 pm

He might have been the last great surviving jazz drummer.
Sunny Murray and Milford Graves are still with us...and Hamid Drake is as solid as it gets for the newer generation. Rashid Bakr is a favorite too...

There are still greats out there but not legends.
agreed
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 4:46 pm

re snare

a friend just e mailed me this:

I went to school in Atlanta with his lovely (and crazy) twin daughters Dara and Ayo.
Met him at Dara's graduation party back in 94(?).
I remember he seemed to be looking right through me when we shook hands and he had really hairy ears.
Also got to see him do his hi-hat solo thing (where takes a hi-hat to the front of the stage and plays every inch of it from top to bottom pulling an amazing array of tones, rhythms and sounds at lighting speed, of course)
It was a gimmicky way to end a show but fascinating and he made it look soooo easy.
He's pretty much the last of the beboppers ain't he?

Also, as is the case with many successful travelin' musician types..(uh, present company excluded) he was not always the most attentive of fathers.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 5:12 pm

Sonny Rollins is still alive...
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 5:20 pm

They're going to air an old interview with him on Fresh Air on NPR today if anyone has it on...or wants to turn it on, rather.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 5:41 pm

on right now...
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 5:53 pm

Doug Schulkind on WFMU just played an amazing, amazing interview he did w/ Roach back in '88. Features tons of his solos and him waxing poetic on them and drum culture around the world. Dial it up on the archives...

Someone should get Sonny to play a concert on the Williamsburg Bridge.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 8:07 pm

i think they should name a street after him in new york city. the man changed jazz music forever. RIP.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 7:39 pm

Nope wait a minute Jimmy Cobb might be the last if not one of the few great surviving drummers. In fact Cobb is the only surviving person from the Kind of Blue sessions
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®