Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / The Sultanic Verses
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 8:45 pm

Only three songs into it but I'm declaring that it's light years better than the last KKBBQ album. Good rockin' shit with cool noises and I'd even spin it in public!
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 8:47 pm

HANDCLAPS!
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 9:02 pm

the only songs i can think i don't care for is the 'two left feet' one. great record, love it and listen to it all the time.

i love the bells.
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 9:10 pm

OH YEAH - great record!
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 9:11 pm

there's one song i thought sounded really empty when it forst came on and now i can't find it. this record isn't mindblowing by any means, but it's completely solid and it swings and rocks so what else matters? really great performances and production here. must get on wax!
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 9:15 pm

I thought Sultanic Verses was even better than the BBQ records. My favorite jam on it is "We're Sinking."
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 9:16 pm

I thought Sultanic Verses was even better than the BBQ records.

me too, by a mile, and those ones are good!! that last one with KK was pretty boring. couldn't even listen to the whole thing. this one brings the muh-fuckin'party though!
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 9:20 pm

I dunno man - I think I'm one of the only people who think that the BBQ solo records are better than the KKBBQ stuff...so sue me!
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 9:58 pm

I like this record a lot, and I'm surprised I didn't hear more about it upon its release. Looking forward to the KK/BBQ tour this fall/winter.
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 9:59 pm

I'm surprised I didn't hear more about it upon its release.

me too.
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 11:16 pm

I like it but those squeaks get annoying. Oil that shit!
Snarf-snarf.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 12:34 am

Moooooreeee, Mortal Man. I've been digging this one for a while now, someone played that song on one of the garagepunk podcasts, and I bought it the next day.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 12:06 pm | Edited by: El Boydelz

Mortal Man is my favorite song too.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 3:13 pm

'Something Wrong' is my favorite song!
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 3:39 pm

me too.

no one cares about mark sultan. he's a non-entity in canada, i don't think anyone in montreal even likes him! every other horseshit indie band in that city and this country is drooled over no matter how banal and pointless, as long as they are new, hip, and have gay hair. i truly believe that someday mark sultan will get his due for the the great body of work he has put out over the years...but that time may be many, many years away.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 3:43 pm

me too.

no one cares about mark sultan.

i think the point is that we haven't heard about the album much at all on any media the WE OURSELVES would support. I don't think we're scratching our heads wondering why it's not on MTV and written up in Spin. I haven't even seen it mentioned on Terminal Boredom yet in any great length.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 3:51 pm

i've played it on my radio show a bunch. I'M DOING MY PART. i care. I care too much.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 3:54 pm

RADIO RULES!
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 4:05 pm

RADIO RULES!

It can be used for good, or for evil.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 4:14 pm

it can be used for good evil!
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 4:51 pm

good bad, not evil
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 5:08 pm

yo!
thanks to those who do enjoy it. the problem with ANY scene is that hype dictates everything - even this one. so, i hardly ever get any mentioned, except with KK&BBQ, probably due to a 'bad rep' or something. and that's fine by me. just enjoy the music and don't ask questions. and 'ottawarockerdude', i don't play in canada. maybe your pals don't care, but i (surprisingly enough) do have fans.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 5:18 pm

hi mark
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 5:25 pm

yo! we'll be in milwaukee... are you guys djing??
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 5:35 pm

MARK!

hi.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 5:39 pm

hey! what's up!?
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 5:42 pm

love the last track with the chick singing too.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 5:49 pm | Edited by: dustymedical

yo! we'll be in milwaukee... are you guys djing??

yup

KK&BBQ
Johnny & The Limelites
Midwest Beat
The Get Drunk DJs
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 5:54 pm

In New York it's:

KKBBQ SHOW
THE SONIC CHICKEN 4
TUNNEL OF LOVE
DJ'S TIM WARREN AND
THE SONIC CHICKEN 2
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 6:02 pm

that's a whole lotta chicken in NYC!
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 6:20 pm | Edited by: dustymedical

whole lotta turkeys in MKE!
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 7:11 pm

Damn, that NY show sounds fun as hell!
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 8:05 pm

Tunnel of Love need to come back to Chicago....

they ruled it!
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 8:31 pm

are there any atlanta dates on this tour
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 11:29 pm

I haven't even seen it mentioned on Terminal Boredom yet in any great length.

There's only been one update since the album came out, and it was right after its release. Here's the review:

Mark Sultan "Sultanic Verses" LP/CD
With the "Sultanic Verses" Mark Sultan delivers his best outing since the first King Khan and BBQ Show LP, and one of the finest records he's cranked out to date. Stylistically he's all over the place with this one - toy keyboards add a touch of low budget pop to some tracks, there are psych flavored tunes like the fantastic "Unicorn Rainbow Odyssey" (actually a pretty touching song despite what the goofy title would have you believe), stripped down punk scorchers, and of course the greasy rnb infused rock 'n' roll Mark has already proven himself a master of - and the results are both surprisingly cohesive and characteristically authentic. There's less of a "full band" sound than I was expecting getting into this, but it nevertheless sounds unlike anything he's done. I wouldn't go so far as to call this the "Between the Buttons" of Mark's oeuvre since it's still firmly grounded in the aesthetic of his prior records, but the chances taken here and the awesome results thereof do invite the comparison. It's really worth taking a moment to note that his voice sounds as incredible as ever. Mark is HANDS DOWN the best singer in all of rock at the moment - it's not even close. Add to that his unwavering vision and singular songwriting talent and you've got a recipe that can't be beat. If you like rock 'n' roll there's really no conceiveable way you won't be ga-ga over this LP.(SB)
(In the Red // www.intheredrecords.com)
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 11:31 pm

are there any atlanta dates on this tour

Halloween at Lenny's.

And I'm partial to 'Cursed World'.
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 12:59 am

I just got off work and I'm going home to play this right now. "We're Sinking" is ace with a simple solo that fits the song perfectly. Love the toy piano.
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 3:40 am

i love that "warpath" tune on here.
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 4:10 am

Can't wait for that NYC Show!
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 4:44 am

no one cares about mark sultan. he's a non-entity in canada, i don't think anyone in montreal even likes him! every other horseshit indie band in that city and this country is drooled over no matter how banal and pointless, as long as they are new, hip, and have gay hair. i truly believe that someday mark sultan will get his due for the the great body of work he has put out over the years...but that time may be many, many years away.

Hey ottawarockerdude, this is not true at all, montreal people fucking loves
what mark does. For instance, the number of times people ask him to play is just plain crazy. Its his choice to not play here, we respect that but it doesnt mean he aint got no fans or somethin'...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®