Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Tropical Storm Dean
Posted: Aug 13, 2007 8:48 pm

Four more MPH and we have TS Dean, the first truly threatening tropical storm this season.

Odds on Hurricane status, anyone? I will say most certainly good given the disgusting heat over this quarter of the US over the last few weeks, but as I don't bet I don't know what a good odd looks like.
Posted: Aug 13, 2007 9:41 pm

I'm betting it becomes a TS as of the 5:00 p.m. report out of the hurricane center, due in twenty minutes or so. Hurricane strength in 36-60 hours. This looks like a classic cape verde storm, could get huge. just hoping it stays out of the gulf.
Posted: Aug 13, 2007 9:47 pm

damn, I was wrong, still a depression.

and I'm changing my hurricane window to 48-72 hours.
Posted: Aug 13, 2007 11:36 pm

just hoping it stays out of the gulf.

God no kidding--that water is hot, gross hot.

My hurricane window is 50-60 hrs.
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 5:00 pm | Edited by: Womb Raider

it's officially a TS now.

NHC is giving 1:1 odds of hurricane in 60 hours.
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 7:17 pm

Onto hourly watchings of Tropical Update on The Weather Channel.

Hurricane Season is here--just in time for our trip to St. Augustine! Wave action, brah.
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 8:35 pm

Fuck a hurricane! Should be more terrified of CHOCOLATE RAIN!!!
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 10:08 pm

That guy reminds me of several of the black guys I went to (Memphis) Central with.
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 10:12 pm

Posted: Aug 14, 2007 10:12 pm

see also; area of low pressure in central gulf. I am predicting tropical depression 5 by tonight with rapid intensification, cat 1 hurricane to hit texas coast between galveston and brownsville this weekend. I'll put $5 on it if someone can give me some good odds.
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 10:51 pm | Edited by: saispas

see also; area of low pressure in central gulf.

They are discussing it on the news right now and I just thought, "Hmmm, wonder if WR knows about all that mess?" I think they are underestimating it given the huge mass of still, disgusting heat hanging over the South...as far as I know there is nothing going on up there to scoop down and kill that mess.

I also just read that Earles is on a cruise hitting Key West and the Bahamas this week!
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 4:46 pm

oh yeah baby, we got TS Erin in the gulf now! NHC giving approx 11:2 odds on hurricane strength in 24 hrs.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 6:04 pm

That shit looks like it's heading straight into the gulf.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 9:24 pm

Erin Go Bragh!!!!

And yup, the Dean Man is headed right into the Gulf by Tuesday, they say. Help us all.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 9:27 pm

Posted: Aug 15, 2007 9:33 pm

ugh.

well that track is certainly not set in stone.... but heads up memphis, maybe we'll see you next week.
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 1:09 am

I wonder where the hell people who live here evacuate to? We don't even have a "Hurricane Kit" or whatever you call it--all the bottled water, canned goods etc etc etc.
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 1:37 am

I dunno, if I lived in FLA I'd be much more likely to ride storms out than evacuate, unless I lived right on the beach or something. but you should definitely stock up, not necessarily for this one but in general. and most importantly, make sure your vehicles aren't in danger of flooding, that way you can evacuate after a hurricane if things get ugly.
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 1:42 am

Yeah, we need to do the stocking up thing bigtime--we just have next to no room in our kitchen. Stuff will be shoved under the bed and beside the washer and dryer!

Today there was a massive deluge for about an hour and the entire backyard and around my car in the alley was flooded up to my ankles in spots. I am sure if we had a Cat 2 in this neighborhood with more rain than wind, we'd be fucked--the cars would be anyway.
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 2:53 am

i'd be going a little bit inland if i lived in florida. my dad's best friend lives down there and he just goes a lil more inland when storms come. stays in a hotel for a few days. then goes back home.
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 1:39 pm | Edited by: saispas

We have to sneak the cats in, I guess. Though I heard La Quintas take pets!
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 1:47 pm

OK, here we go!

BULLETIN
HURRICANE DEAN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 12A...CORRECTED
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL042007
800 AM AST THU AUG 16 2007

...CORRECTED REPEAT SECTION WINDS...

...STRENGTHENING DEAN SPEEDS TOWARD THE LESSER ANTILLES...

A HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE ISLANDS OF DOMINICA
AND ST. LUCIA. A HURRICANE WARNING MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS
ARE EXPECTED WITHIN THE WARNING AREA WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS.
PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY SHOULD BE RUSHED TO
COMPLETION.
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 2:39 pm

Yeah here in orlando I usually dont worry that much. It usually just means I get to miss a day of work, which is cool. This new house I live in though has me a little more worried. We have a bunch of huge oaks around our house and even in small storms my yard becomes littered with giant limbs.
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 2:53 pm

Yeah, we are surrounded by these insane, huge "knotty" trees...I have no idea what they are, but we have two in our back yard and our neighbors also have a couple on either side. They are gorgeous to look at, watch squirrels have hijinx on but I have that fear of a huge branch crashing into our roof. A daily fear in Summertime Florida!
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 4:29 pm

well, all i know is, i will not be riding out this storm. anything over a cat 3, i am gone.
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 4:34 pm

comeon, deany baby! 30 north, 90 west! come & get me baby! daddy needs a new pair of shoes!
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 5:48 pm

You do realize, that there will NOT be another Road Home if this hits.
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 6:33 pm

You do realize, that there will NOT be another Road Home if this hits.

there won't be another Home period. I can't wait.
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 6:36 pm

I wonder if I tried to get rental insurance today if State Farm would be gouging?

They likely won't do rental insurance on items damaged by flood and wind, seeing as no one can get a damn home insurance policy in this state.

What records would you pull out of your collection pre-evac if it was time to get gone? So far, all my Fall, ESG (all 99 Records actually), my early rap 12"...
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 6:36 pm

also, jessica, do you know anything about the girl who got her throat slit last night at Pal's? descrption: 30 y.o. black female. worked for road home.

that kinda fits the description of my road home lady, who hasn't called me back today. hope it wasn't her. that would really delay things.

we need another hurricane. fuck this shit.
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 7:00 pm

Have no clue. I'd call her again. But you just put the astroturf down! You know, apparently, astroturf is the new thing on outdoor decorations. Oprah's designer says so.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 3:29 pm

poor poor texas
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 3:35 pm

Yeah, unless some huge system comes through, looks like South Texas is gonna get slammed again. But as they say, you never know what will happen once it hits the Gulf. The water is up to 86 degrees in that nasty bathtub.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 9:28 pm

astroturf is the new thing on outdoor decorations

This is a goddammed lie.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 10:54 pm

You can get it from your local Lowes.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 12:04 am

astroturf is the new thing on outdoor decorations

This is a goddammed lie.

face it Jack, you're old fashioned. join the new millenium!!!
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 1:09 am

Cat 4, brothas and sistas.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 4:52 am

Tings not be looking too good for Jamaica, mon! I and I should have got a real apartment instead of this raggedy hut, but instead I spend de rent on ganja. Haile Selassie and Marcus Garvey be watchin over me tho. One love!
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 5:00 am

Well, at least maybe this heat'll break.

And hopefully we'll get some Chocolate Rain.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 6:38 am

hey saispas where in this beautiful state do you live?
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 6:39 am

I think my bad credit history fucked my chances of getting out of my current house so I'll probably be riding this season out on kaley street. I remember when Charlie hit a few years ago this street had most of the damage. I plan on taking all my records if a storm hits
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

where in this beautiful state do you live?

St. Pete; you are in Orlando, right?

We are headed down to get my rich people fix down in Sarasota--good food, amazing bookstores and a farmer's market await.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 6:01 pm

they're forecasting it to strengthen even more. gah.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 7:05 pm

The Yucatan gonna get blasted.
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 4:17 pm

Jesus is Mexican
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 6:32 pm

that's hey zeus
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 8:32 pm

Jamaica looks fucked
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 12:49 am

The eye is 50 miles "due south of Kingston Jamaica."
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®