Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / ANSWER Me!
Posted: Aug 4, 2007 3:00 pm

Does anybody know what happened to Debbie and Jim Goad. the couple behind ANSWER Me! ?
Posted: Aug 4, 2007 3:45 pm

Jim Goad is on the road with Hank III as an opening act. I love the Redneck Manifesto.
Posted: Aug 4, 2007 4:04 pm

Debbie Goad died from cancer I believe.
Posted: Aug 4, 2007 4:44 pm

I heard she passed away, but there was some kind of drama involved. How many volumes of Answer Me! they put out? 4?
Posted: Aug 4, 2007 5:29 pm

He wrote a book called "Shit Magnet" that goes into a lot of the drama in uncomfortable, honest detail. It's a good read.
Posted: Aug 4, 2007 5:37 pm

Jim Goad is on the road with Hank III as an opening act.

true. my friends are backing him up.

jims living in atlanta. last i heard he was writing a book about nascar culture.
Posted: Aug 4, 2007 5:48 pm

I've been hearing about Answer Me! for years but never actually read an issue. They've got a book of it at a store nearby. Should I buy it? I've got Redneck Manifesto but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Posted: Aug 4, 2007 5:59 pm

Yeah, you should. I've good the book with the 3 issues and is very entertaining
Posted: Aug 4, 2007 6:21 pm

Answer Me! had some really good stuff in it. Dana Hatch swears by the rape issue.

I think they are a little overblown to say the least, but they are pretty sharp & sometimes savagely funny. When I say overblown, I mean that when they go one about how much they hate children & the notion of having children & how terrible it is to bring a child into this world. I specifically remember the article when Debbie flat out calls children "creatures" 'cause she can't say "baby" or "child". Also, there's a part where she is going on about her Christmas tree in which she's hanging used tampons on it.

Great. Hope it smelled good, too.

She did have cancer & he eventually wound up with some young girl. If I'm not mistaken, he wound up in jail for beating her down. Don't know if my timeline is correct, but I know what I've posted isn't far off.
Posted: Aug 4, 2007 8:20 pm

Wasn't he married to or dating Lisa Carver (Rollerderby zine) somewhere in there too?
Posted: Aug 4, 2007 9:08 pm

He definately was never married to Lisa. There might have been a Boyd Rice connection in there somewhere. Answer Me! did a piece on Rice at one point.

One thing that really soured me on him was when he beat the girlfriend. Judging people as harshly as Goad does is fine if the person doing the judging is squeaky clean, which Goad definately is not. I clipped his Wikipedia page for good measure.

James Thaddeus "Jim" Goad (born June 12, 1961) is an American author and publisher, noted for the controversy surrounding his (now defunct) magazine ANSWER Me!.
Jim Goad with an opossum.
Jim Goad with an opossum.

He was raised in Philadelphia, PA. He met his late ex-wife Debbie in New York City. They married and moved to Los Angeles where he worked in a print shop. He moved to Portland, Oregon in 1994.

Jim and Debbie published four issues of their zine before running afoul of authorities with #4 (the "Rape Issue"), which offered multi-faceted views of sexual assault. The Rape Issue was discovered for sale at The Newstand by a young woman attending in Bellingham, who passed it on to a battered women's shelter. The Newstand was acquitted of trafficking obscenity, primarily because the prosecutor couldn't prove the sellers knew ANSWER Me! was obscene.

ANSWER Me! was also blamed for the suicides of three British youths in 1996 and for Francisco Martin Duran's rifle assault on the White House in 1994. (Duran quoted a line from the magazine in a note he'd left in his van before firing 29 rounds at the White House.)

Jim and Debbie Goad divorced in December 1997. In 1998, he was arrested for beating his girlfriend, who had left several death threats on his answering machine (all documented on jimgoad.net) and against whom he had filed a restraining order. He pled guilty and served a prison term. He was released in October 2000.

Goad has authored four books: The Redneck Manifesto, wherein he explores issues of class in modern America; Shit Magnet, his autobiography (written while in prison); ANSWER Me!: The First Three (a compilation of the magazine's first three issues), and Jim Goad's GIGANTIC BOOK OF SEX, an anthology of his post-prison writings for sex magazines.

He maintains a website which has an archive of his old articles and new items. Scapegoat Publishing published an expanded reprint of ANSWER Me!: The First Three in 2006. Feral House published Jim Goad's GIGANTIC BOOK OF SEX in April 2007.
Posted: Aug 4, 2007 9:13 pm

Wasn't he married to or dating Lisa Carver (Rollerderby zine) somewhere in there too?

She's married to Boyd Rice, they have a kid named Wolfgang
Posted: Aug 4, 2007 9:55 pm

Thaaaaaat's right...I got those dudes confused, still have the Boyd Rice Answer Me somewhere...ahhh, the angry 90's.
Posted: Aug 4, 2007 10:11 pm

Are they still married? She wasn't married when she was kickin' it around Columbus w/Jerry Wyck during the summer of '98. She came back in early '01 when there was the wake for Jerry at Little Brother's & had Wolfgang with her then, but was the guy she was with was definately not Boyd.
Posted: Aug 4, 2007 11:15 pm

not sure if they were even married, if so it was very short, i think they has split before she even had wolfy
Posted: Aug 4, 2007 11:28 pm

i got her book around here somewhere but can't find it right now
Posted: Aug 4, 2007 11:41 pm

wolfgang? i could have sworn it was adolf.
Posted: Aug 5, 2007 1:12 am

James Thaddeus "Jim" Goad (born June 12, 1961)

same exact date as my sister. how could two people with the same stat be so different. well, there you go: astrology is wrong!
Posted: Aug 5, 2007 4:29 am

Posted: Aug 5, 2007 6:50 am

I've been hearing about Answer Me! for years but never actually read an issue. They've got a book of it at a store nearby. Should I buy it?

YES!
Posted: Aug 5, 2007 6:57 am

Bucket - thanks for that link. awesome.
Posted: Aug 5, 2007 9:12 pm

Just read the rape issue.
Interesting.
Could've done without the pics, though.
Posted: Aug 6, 2007 1:36 am

If you read Shit Magnet, it helps you understand his beating his girlfriend. Made sense to me. He doesn't try to play it like he's an angel or anything.
Posted: Aug 6, 2007 2:08 am

Posted: Aug 6, 2007 3:13 am

If you read Shit Magnet, it helps you understand his beating his girlfriend.

no. it. doesn't.
Posted: Aug 7, 2007 1:49 am

I was introduced to him once. Pretty quiet guy with a pretty loud haircut (pompadour). I think he was in jail up here, but I don't really know. Read the Redneck Manifesto and I've had all Answer Me's within the circle of friends since they were probably new.
Posted: Aug 7, 2007 4:21 am

he lived in st john's, that was where he was sent to jail from
Posted: Aug 7, 2007 6:07 am | Edited by: andria

we sold answer me at shangri-la when I worked there, but the goads' manifestos always creeped me out.

huh, if you google wolfgang carver, this is the first thing that comes up, and the age is on the mark. from the special olympics new hampshire website: http://www.sonh.org/sports/2007_sgresults/PA7S9HYMAQGIQ6ZG.html
Posted: Aug 7, 2007 7:01 am

no. it. doesn't.

yes. it. does.
Posted: Aug 7, 2007 9:23 am

Dana Hatch swears by the rape issue
I think I read his copy when I used to hang with him in Athens when I was wee lad. God bless Ohio.
Posted: Aug 7, 2007 6:45 pm | Edited by: roche

A buddy of mine & I used to head down to shows @ the 3B in Bellingham pretty frequently on weekends ... I remember we were at that newsstand (cuz he collected a lot of zines) & saw the rape issue in there before the noteriety.

This same friend also gave me 'Shit Magnet' to read, & yeah ... it doesn't excuse Goad for anything he did to his girlfriend. He makes some good observations on a lot of things, but overall he comes off as a cry-baby victim that can't fess up for his own actions.
Posted: Aug 7, 2007 7:37 pm

not sure if they were even married, if so it was very short, i think they has split before she even had wolfy

i got her book around here somewhere

Lisa Carver's book Drugs Are Nice came out a couple years ago and detailed her relationship with Boyd Rice, the birth of their son Wolfgang and their split. It was actually a pretty good read.
Posted: Aug 7, 2007 7:50 pm

Lisa Carver's book Drugs Are Nice came out a couple years ago and detailed her relationship with Boyd Rice, the birth of their son Wolfgang and their split. It was actually a pretty good read.

that's the one, funny thing about my getting it was that i was at disney world and found it in a sales bin at virgin records
Posted: Aug 7, 2007 8:20 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

Answer Me! was a godsend. I hated zines, but the guy at the magazine store was SURE I would like that one. It was one of the few alternative voices challenging almost every tentacle of the underground and calling it on it's BS. Heterosexual white males (along with the rest of western culture) became been the scapegoat of choice in the early 90's, and there was finally another intelligent voice that was not only not wasn't feeling your pain, but he was glad you had it.

It was funny, gory, entertaining, slick, intense, inteligent, over-the-top and 100% free of grammatical errors. It was the most polarizing thing you could ever have on your coffee table, and the people that hated it the loudest were the least likely to put it down. Admitting to liking it and not being against it's overall premise was a way to weed out supposedly open minded liberals from your inner circle. He was shoving a size 18 boot up the rectum of PC liberalism and hipster culture at the precise moment it needed it most.

Redneck Manifesto is one of my favorite books. Shit Magnet not so much.

He is on tour with Hank III & The Big Red Goad/Power of County singing everybodies favorite trucker songs. Power of County are great guys, so have no fear hosting them on tour.
Posted: Aug 8, 2007 6:15 pm

The woman (among other things that in my mind justify physical violence) attacked him. He fought back. Obviously he's bigger and stronger than her, so she probably should have never attacked him in the first place and she would have never gotten her face smashed in.

I've fucked up a few women in my time before. All of them the kind of violent fucked up cunts that get off on attacking men because they assume that all men are afraid to hit back. I'm not one of those men. In fact, I welcome dealing with women of that type, because it allows me to fix them.

I am not a huge fan of Shit Magnet, and Redneck Manifesto was filled with the kind of shit I'd been saying for years, so it didn't do a whole lot for me, because it provided me with little insight.

I got alot of respect for the guy though. There are people out there who I think make better art out of life itself than through consciously trying to mold something with text or sound. He's one of them.
Posted: Aug 9, 2007 3:39 pm

i reckon the redneck manifesto is essential reading. not real keen on shit magnet, the writing is excessively melodramatic. every pont is made three times before moving on. it's like being repeatedly punched in the face.
Posted: Sep 18, 2007 10:07 pm

every pont is made three times before moving on. it's like being repeatedly punched in the face.

sounds like he succeeded then. i'm reading it right now.

read this a couple weeks ago. she's a great writer.
Posted: Sep 18, 2007 11:08 pm

Rollerderby was a good mag.
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 12:08 am

Shit Magnet kinda reads like some boo-hoo-I-was-abused shit so far. Maybe when I get past the chapter where he's pretending to be 12 it'll get better. Yeah yeah you got beat up and turned into an asshole and now you're in jail. Man bites dog.

Oh, and then he complains about how he's being scapegoated but he turns right around and says "my wife deserved for me to punch her in the mouth." Sucks you're in jail dude but that's what happens in real life.

I liked the Redneck Manifesto.
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 6:02 am | Edited by: Shawn Carpetbagger

Man "Shit Magnet" totally humanized Jim Goad. For the better. The Jim Goad character arch-type, at this point, is so over done...especially on message boards. You know who you are! Don't make me point you out! So many of you dudes are Goad rip offs that it's sad. Ha! Ha! Yeah, I get it, it's shocking to post "nigger". Whatever, dude. My great grandma was a regular Miles Davis. Jim Goad is a better writer than all of you fuckers. Get a third dimension.
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 7:17 am

Get a third dimension.

Did anyone else have to read this shit in middle school?

sure, he's a great writer. Typewriter tycoon. Alliteration assassin. Hyperactive highroller of hyperbole. Metaphysicist of the metaphor. Simile simian. Hyphen annihilator. Gonzo gargantuan.

But after a paragraph or so of that shit he kinda loses me. I liked the research in Redneck Manifesto, his arguments were well presented, persuasive, and entertaining.

Here's my sticking point (so far) in Shit Magnet: he's admittedly sensitive to being called a sexist. But (and/or And) he hit his wife. That's basically a demonstration of power.

He argued convincingly in Redneck Manifesto that "white-trash" haven't got enough power to be "racist" because they can change very little outside their small sphere of influence. That argument doesn't work here because in most relationships the male claims physical dominance over the female, defended here as such:

he's bigger and stronger than her, so she probably should have never attacked him in the first place

I'm not dogging Shit Magnet here. I'm sure it's a fascinating read. And what could be more humanizing than scapegoading your victim. But I'll back up the "No. It. Doesn't." argument, at least for now.

Shit what was my point? Fuck. Goddammit. Hey carpetbagger, see you tomorrow night! Fuck yeah. Shit yeah. Gonna spend all of my money and probably borrow some so I can get real fucked up. Choke some bitches the fuck out!
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 9:25 am

what if the female has all the money and the name on the rent application/mortgage?

who's got the power then?

or what if she owns all the best records and collector plates?
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 5:00 pm

Hey carpetbagger, see you tomorrow night! Fuck yeah. Shit yeah. Gonna spend all of my money and probably borrow some so I can get real fucked up. Choke some bitches the fuck out!
Who is this mysterious "a cobb"? But yes, Golden Boys, Teeners, and Ape-Shits show tonight is gonna be awesome!
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 5:22 pm

I could do without the Rape Issue, but the Serial Killer Issue is fascinating.
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 7:16 pm

The Obviously! Scandal

Goad's article:

http://www.nypress.com/15/52/news&columns/feature.cfm

The offending article originally run in Exotic:

DOLLAR

Strippers are garbage. Not special. Not unique. Just more cunts. You girls have all kinds of ideas about things, but you're just another dumb whore. Prove me wrong.

Bitch, I don't care if you're a "singer", or a "dance technician" or even a "writer" in your spare time. Why would I? You must understand. To me, you don't have a personality, aside from the wrinkled hog jowls between your legs. Now that's interesting!

Obviously!

Tell me why I would think otherwise. Why would an intelligent human being assume that a woman who exposes her genitals for greasy one-dollar bills has anything important to say? I mean, come on! That's one step up from a trained monkey! What, do you have some magic "inner goodness" about you? Yeah, right! You're a prostitute! That isn't good!

I've fucked strippers. I've hung out with strippers. Garbage. They use drugs as if the comet hits tomorrow. They get drunk and tell you about their lives. They're "artists", and "thrift store owners" and "worth something". Uh, excuse me, ma'am? Could you get your fucking life out of my way? I'm trying to look up your asshole. Thanks.

I can look at the place on your body that shit comes out of. Anytime I want. For a dollar. And you have feelings? I can see your pooper! Is this a joke?

I've tried, believe me. I've tried to listen to you. But I just cant seem to get my head around the idea that you show your privates to people you dont know for money. Can't you wait tables or something? What's wrong with you? Are you broken? Now, you can't get enough of exhibitionism with the hardhats at work, you actually put on costumes and pretend to be "burlesque dancers" in your spare time. Really. That's not interesting, that's stupid. That's like me dressing up like a "ninja", or a "wizard". Cut it out. Show me your pussy. Shut up, here's a dollar.

You're a servant. Low class. For a dollar you'll let me look at your brown-eye. You'll come over to my house and do it for, what, $69.95?If I had some Ecstasy tablets you would suck my dick. Really, you would. You would just lick my nuts. If I bought you some platform boots, or a fur coat, I could fuck you up the ass. Really. For enough money, you'll do anything, because you are a prostitute. I bet you'd dance naked right in front of me, and rub your crotch on my lap, for about ten bucks. Yep, you sure would.

Obviously!

I don't care if you're happy taking your clothes of for money. Do whatever you want, it won't be important. I'll never care. It just frustrates me that you assume I respect you, because I don't. I wouldn't expect you to think highly of me if I, say, sucked cock at the train station for a living. Or if I got paid to dress up like a woman and lip-sync to ABBA songs. That's disgusting. I would be ashamed to expose myself to roomfuls of people.

I think its clear that the majority of women in our culture feel the same way. They feel very private about their genitals. They don't show them to just anybody. So, consequently, the woman who feels no shame, the woman who actually dances around naked is decidedly abnormal. Sort of a freak. I mean, come on. What sort of twisted, damaged person would show me their genitals for a dollar? What is that, a cry for help?

Obviously!

So, girls, follow your heart. If your brain is so royally fucked, that you aren't ashamed of being a prostitute, keep wiggling that ass. Hey, I don't mind, it's great for me. I like it, because it means you arent even really a person. You're an object. You're like a Sphincter-TV that I can turn on whenever the mood strikes me. I have a few drinks, and blow on your clit when your back's turned. Then I laugh.

It only costs me a dollar. Whore.

The correction:

http://www.xmag.com/archives/10-07-jan03/city.html
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 12:31 am

at least there was a correction.
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 1:47 am

heh.
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 4:01 pm

The Jim Goad character arch-type, at this point, is so over done...especially on message boards.

Assholes are assholes and they've existed long before Jim Goad and will exist long after he's forgotten. Some people just lack a sense of empathy. My grandfather was a real asshole. He was a self-made man and managed to raise up a very succesful business which he later lost as a result of his take-no-shit, but give-it-to-everyone-else ways. You don't fuck with the banks I guess. Lesson learned.

Most of my asshole friends were assholes long before they ever read Jim Goad. The most redeaming thing about Goad for most of my friends, and myself, is the recognition that "this dude gets it" even if you don't agree with everything he believes, or already knew everything he had to say before he even said it.

I can't speak for every prick on the internet, but I can tell you that I've never had to rip off Jim Goad, because my grandfather pulled that schtick off alot better and had been doing it for about forty years before Jim Goad even saw the light out the end of his mother's cunt.

You've got a logical fallacy on your hands, I'm not sure which one, because I never went to college, but I know enough about enough to know that yer full of shit.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®