Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Gram Parsons
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 8:25 am

Love them or hate'em??? I am a hugh fan... But I got facial hair having hippys with guitars and a banjo singing songs from Sweatheart on my porch..... I NEED A FUCKING GUN!!!!!!!! After practice I am gonna play the entire GG lp EAT MY FUCK unplugged in front of my girlfriends house..... so if your in SE Portland please stop by.....
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 8:38 am

His shit is famous. Good stuff on Grievous Angel. Admittedly, I don't know GP very well.
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 1:58 pm

He's awesome! But that "father of country-rock" mantle is up for debate. Gene Clark coulda been first too, and probably others as well...
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 2:18 pm

Gram helped turn people on to country music and he got Emmylou Harris going.
But yeah...Gene is the man.
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 3:34 pm

im a fan
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 3:48 pm

I watched that Heartworn Highways movie a few times last year. Gram seemed like a pretty cool guy.
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 3:55 pm

He rules... though I think his stuff with the Flying Burrito Brothers and International Submarine Band is the best.
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 3:56 pm

Gilded Palace of Sin is so surperior to everything else he did it's not funny.

That said, "A Song For You" is incredible.
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 5:33 pm

I think his songwriting is some of the best, but have to admit it took a while for his reed-thin voice to resonate with me.
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 6:18 pm

Dark End of the Street is one of my favorite songs ever when he sings it.
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 6:34 pm

he and emmy lou together is really nice. one of my all time favorite vocal duets.

wendy o and lemmy are good, too.
johnny and june
john doe and exene
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 6:53 pm

I love the first Burritos album . But I think Parsons is way overrated otherthan that. He died young because he was an utter fool. Nearly everybody that he worked with wound up hating his guts. Gene Clark once said that after he died he would know if he was in hell if he saw Gram Parsons there.
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 6:56 pm

Gene Clark once said that after he died he would know if he was in hell if he saw Gram Parsons there.

Not that Gene was the easiest guy to deal with, but that's funny.
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 7:27 pm

Gene Clark is a pussy.
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 7:51 pm

But I got facial hair having hippys with guitars and a banjo singing songs from Sweatheart on my porch

Ick. I can so clearly visualize this: Some PDX hipster hippies? I kinda miss em now sometimes...but then I see the hilarious drug dealing humankind down here that verges more on the Axl Rose/Bret Michaels on Casual Day circa 1987 look and all is right with the world.
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 9:28 pm

i'm a fan of all the byrds/burritos and their off-shoots

i do know that gram parsons was a selfish fool - it doesn't make his records any less good/memorable
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 9:34 pm

ecords any less good/memorable

like this?
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 9:38 pm

Nearly everybody that he worked with wound up hating his guts.

Not entirely what I gathered from the "Hickory Wind" biography. Impossible and frustrating to work with, love, and sometimes be in the same room with from the sound of it, but I don't remember him being 'hated' by many.

i do know that gram parsons was a selfish fool-it doesn't make his records any less good/memorable

Absolutely agree. I sing 'Luxury Liner' in the shower often...and LOUD.
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 9:51 pm

Piano player on Sweetheart of the Rodeo played on one-a my records.

Just sayin'.
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 11:40 pm | Edited by: bvalentine

Gram and the Burritos ruled. Too bad that Johnny Knoxville movie sucked so bad.

was a selfish fool

Isnt this a usual trait of a talented musician? I can think of a few others: drug addict, alcoholic, womanizer, assorted mental illnesses, self loathing and simultaneous inflated egos... the list goes on. Shit, if I was only talented I'd make it.
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 12:59 am

was a selfish fool

Isnt this a usual trait of a talented musician?

well, yeah.
but then you think of someone like gene simmons, who is merely selfish... oh wait a minute, you said TALENTED....

don't get me wrong, i like KISS enough... but it is definitely more thought out strategy than talent
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 1:12 am

Last year I was in Joshua Tree for a wedding and stayed in the room where he died, hoping his ghost might show and play "Wheels."

(no dice)
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 10:17 am

Gram's great, but Gene Clark - WHOAH! Spun the Radio Song/Why Not Your Baby 45 the other nite, while going thru some boxes, still sounds awesome 15 years after stumbling over it...

Anyone hear that boot of the Gram/Emmylou boom box rehearsal tapes? If you think his solo albums are over-produced (and prefer the dry sound of the ISB stuff), try and track 'em down...
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 11:06 am

could the bros be a mission style burrito or the other kind
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 12:19 pm

Two words: Chris Hillman. He's the real and for true father of that stuff. He was playing bluegrass with Vern Gosdin when Gram was still matriculating at Harvard.

Also Doug Sahm! He could do the country rock, but also R&B, garage, Tex-Mex, pop, anything he wanted to do. He was doing it around the same time, and in the same state (CA), and unlike Gram, he had a couple hits.

But that having been said, I dig Gram too, and it was a big revelation when I first heard Gilded Palace. I think everybody of a certain age has the same reaction when they hear it for the first time. I just get aggravated at all the cheesy hero worship of him from the alt-country/singer-songwriter crowds.
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 2:15 pm

Two words: Chris Hillman. He's the real and for true father of that stuff. He was playing bluegrass with Vern Gosdin when Gram was still matriculating at Harvard.

Also Doug Sahm! He could do the country rock, but also R&B, garage, Tex-Mex, pop, anything he wanted to do. He was doing it around the same time, and in the same state (CA), and unlike Gram, he had a couple hits.

But that having been said, I dig Gram too, and it was a big revelation when I first heard Gilded Palace. I think everybody of a certain age has the same reaction when they hear it for the first time. I just get aggravated at all the cheesy hero worship of him from the alt-country/singer-songwriter crowds.

All of this is put better than I could manage, esp. at 8 in the a.m.
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 3:17 pm | Edited by: Stephanie

Two words: Chris Hillman.

i've been listening to Gene w/the Gosdin Bros non-stop now that the CD reissue is out (and can listen to it in my car) and Chris Hillman, man...he was the GREATEST bass player in the world! For whatever reason, all I can concentrate on are his bass lines. Jesus. and i don't know why i'm freaking out more about it from this alb versus byrds albs...anyway...

and I think I've finally decided that "The Same One" is the greatest song Gene ever wrote. great and depressing.
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 3:21 pm

also, this is kinda related, kinda not...i'm discovering more and more everyday that Leon Russell was the man! This guy fucking rules! He did everything! and I just found his 1st solo alb (apparently the only one worht owning from what i gather) and it's great!
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 3:52 pm

i've been listening to Gene w/the Gosdin Bros non-stop now that the CD reissue is out (and can listen to it in my car) and Chris Hillman, man...he was the GREATEST bass player in the world! For whatever reason, all I can concentrate on are his bass lines. Jesus. and i don't know why i'm freaking out more about it from this alb versus byrds albs...anyway...

Because it's mixed higher than on the Byrds recs maybe?
I was playing the Edsel reissue in the car maybe last week - pretty prevalent in stuff like "Is Yours Is Mine."
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 3:57 pm

i'm discovering more and more everyday that Leon Russell was the man!

Yeah! There's not too many people that could do three or four uncoverable Dylan covers on the same album and somehow pull it off.
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 3:59 pm

Because it's mixed higher than on the Byrds recs maybe?

yeah, i guess i don't think about that stuff....but yes, that's probably the case.
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 4:02 pm

i'm discovering more and more everyday that Leon Russell was the man!

i pointed this out a few weeks ago when crucial dude (aka tim warren) was deciding between messina and rogers: russell was EVERYWHERE in the early 60's and a real guilty pleasure of mine was cocker stuff also but that first leon is all beautiful...
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 4:02 pm

but no one is sir doug
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 4:07 pm

There's not too many people that could do three or four uncoverable Dylan covers on the same album and somehow pull it off.

and on his 1st alb, he has songs called "Give Peace a Chance" and "I Put a Spell on you" and in one write-up i read of it, it said "only a man with this much hutzpah can get away with writing songs with these titles"

totally awesome.
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 4:09 pm

but no one is sir doug

This is a huge understatement. He was the best.
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 4:57 pm

Gene Clark is a pussy.

Trying to stir shit up, or do you really feel that way? Too sappy/sentimental or do you know something personally about Gene?

Doug Sahm and Gene Clark are two of my absolute favorites and they had more heart than most folks can comprehend.
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 4:58 pm

Gram Parsons = nay.
Gram Parker = yay.
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 5:00 pm

Gene Clark is a pussy.

If you'd have said Gene Clark is a pussy hound, I might've agreed...but a pussy?

Hardly...
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 5:00 pm

Gram Parsons = nay.
Gram Parker = yay.

BOTH yay.
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 5:18 pm

Posted: Aug 2, 2007 5:48 pm

The only major criticism I have of Gene Clark is he kept Jim Dickson(NOT Dickinson) from beating the shit out of David Crosby.
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 6:30 pm

Supposedly he's buried off Airline Hwy. in New Orleans/Olde Metarie. This guy Jeff "Guitar" Nelson I met is obsessed with G.P. and goes to the grave site on a regular basis for inspiration. I don't know if it's working though.

Great Stuff. Grievious Angels is tops!
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 8:27 pm

Posted: Aug 2, 2007 8:28 pm

Posted: Aug 2, 2007 8:30 pm

And not to forget the brilliant but mostly unsung Clarence White . http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=11914
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 10:12 pm

unsung Clarence White .

roger mcguinn's favorite byrd-mate
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 10:54 pm

I'm a fan but Grievous Angel is a hunk of poop. WAAAAAYYYYY overated album. GP is the only solo album worth having imo. Gram himself was pretty overated.
Gene Clark is a pussy.
If by pussy you mean one of the greatest musical geniuses of all time...agreed. Gene doesn't get 1/4 of the credit Gram did, and his catalog of "good" music is a whole lot thicker than Gram's. Gene's story was also "truly" sad where as Gram was a trust-fund kid who let the party get the best of him.
You can file Doug Sahm in the top 3 white soul singers of all time.
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 11:21 pm

my friends smoked a joint at his grave in new orleans last weekend..
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 6:13 pm

This guy Jeff "Guitar" Nelson I met is obsessed with G.P. and goes to the grave site on a regular basis for inspiration. I don't know if it's working though.

the gravesite (seriously) only has 35lbs of Gram, the rest was ashes in the desert.
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 7:02 pm

crucial dude (aka tim warren)

haha... huh???
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 7:16 pm

Nesmith > Parsons and pretty much everyone else mentioned.
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 7:22 pm

Gene Clark is a pussy.

I think Parsons might've been an even bigger pussy.
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 7:40 pm

I think Parsons might've been an even bigger pussy.
He was a trust fund kid, got $50,000 a year..
I would have been acting like an asshole too if I didn't have to work for that much cash.
50 g's was a lot more back then.
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 8:16 pm

Nesmith > Parsons and pretty much everyone else mentioned.

YES!!!
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 8:50 pm

really been diggin the nesmith lately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 11:06 pm

I have this live show with just nesmith and red rhodes on peddle steel from 79 or something. Fucking genius.

I tried to turn someone I know on to the First National Band records because he likes the "no depression" shit. HE DIDN'T LIKE IT. what a tool. That shit is better than Wayne The Fuckin' Train any day!
Posted: Aug 6, 2008 11:30 pm

funny you should mention Sweetheart Of the Rodeo as, just today, I found that CD in perfect condition at Salvation Army and the guy charged me a quarter for it!! I had heard the Gram Parsons solo stuff (along with some Flying Burrito Brothers and International Submarine Band too, but those were years ago) and liked it a lot, but never any of his stuff with The Byrds

I'm not a fan of hippies myself, but you sure could a whole lot worse than that; as a matter of fact, I'm almost envious of you that hippie sing things like that around you instead of, uh... I'm drawing a blank here!!
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 12:11 am

I'm not a fan of hippies myself, but you sure could a whole lot worse than that; as a matter of fact, I'm almost envious of you that hippie sing things like that around you instead of, uh... I'm drawing a blank here!!

does any of this mean anything???
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 12:13 am

really been diggin the nesmith lately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you heard the 3 disk Rhino Handmade box set of "Headquarters".. Its pretty great cause it sounds like Nesmith is just learning to come to terms with the pedal steel... The Tork shit is really good too.. There is alot of good live shit just before that came out on youtube.. but I am to drunk...and lazy to do it... Where's HOTSTIX??
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 1:06 am

I meant to say "you sure could DO a lot worse than that"; is that what you're referring to Bruce or are you trying to talk shit again?!
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 1:16 am

i'm simply pointing out that i could not gather any meaning from that sentence
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 1:32 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS

I like Graham Parker better than Parsons. I think I like the Rumour sans Graham Parker even better tho.
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 8:02 am

Graham Parker

That Stick To Me record kills me it's so good...I love Squeezing Out Sparks too.
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 8:59 am

Graham Parker

That Stick To Me record kills me it's so good...I love Squeezing Out Sparks too.

"Nobody Hurts You" (". . .harder than yourself") might be my theme song.
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 9:33 am

His version of I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down is BRUTAL
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 2:37 pm

Gram Parsons= Yes

Also, George Wunderlich, guitar of Sticks and Stones and The Uninvited ilk is sposedly close kin to Gram Parsons.

Gram Parsons=Yay!

Sticks and Stones=Yes YES YES yay!
Posted: Oct 18, 2009 11:29 am

Is Goner gonna get that new Gram Parsons box-set?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®