Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Jul 30, 2007 4:20 am

My wife is thinking about getting one of these, and I was wondering if anyone has one or knows somebody that has one, and what do/don't they like about it?
Posted: Jul 30, 2007 7:58 am

I wish I knew more. I know the Jetta Diesel gets 50 mpg highway & that really piques my interest. The worked for a branch of my company one time that had fleet VW vehicles & they ran like tops for getting driven very hard & for getting no maintenance.
Posted: Jul 30, 2007 12:41 pm

i used to own one and i liked it a lot, even though it wasn't the best mechanically reliable car. it never had HUGE issues, just small things that would go out that would pile up and be a pain in the ass. parts for them aren't cheap, but not grossly expensive either. depending on the year they are easy to work on.
Posted: Jul 30, 2007 2:09 pm

Everyone I've ever known who's had one was absolutely in love with their car. These same people ultimately got rid of their Jettas due to problems like arman mentioned. Jettas were notorious for this though, so I'm sure they've corrected the problems by now. If I were you, I'd get a new one with an extended service warranty (cars are the only thing I buy extended warranties on).
Posted: Jul 30, 2007 6:28 pm

Malapropic, I asked the same question a few weeks ago (I've been driving a VW Beetle that has been plagued with problems and need to replace it).

I have decided against another VW for several reasons, including the dealership here in Memphis, but the main one was because when I called my insurance company, my rates were gonna be substantially higher for a Jetta or Rabbit. I assume that's because they're so expensive to fix, so I decided to pass and get a Honda instead...

love the look/feel of the VW, but can't afford to drive it. also, like Arman said, I've had friends with Jettas have stupid problems like rattles in the sun roof, which drove them crazy but which the dealer wouldn't fix. and with my own VW, the gas tank latch broke within a year (considering I got gas ever two weeks, that meant I only used it 20-30 times), and after getting a $350 estimate to fix it, I decided to pry it open and access it that way instead. typical stupid small problems that you think a company like VW would have solved by now...
Posted: Jul 30, 2007 7:39 pm

I've heard nothing bad negative things about them.
hookorcrook
Posted: Jul 30, 2007 7:43 pm

VWs are great but you have to get rid of them at around 100,000 miles when they start to self destruct. i was told this before by a friend who has had a couple and it was an accurate prediction. my passat is at 103K and suddenly needs like $5k of work. think it is trade in time.
Posted: Jul 30, 2007 8:05 pm | Edited by: chuckvicious

Good cars. Weird though. Most don't have a radiator, and are air cooled(as opposed to coolant / anti freeze ) You can't just change the oil in them, you have to have a special vacuum to suck it out. Found out yesterday you have to jack the car up to change the transmission fluid from underneath. But overall they are very efficient and affordable because of the good engineering.(good gas mileage, longevity, power) Good for the mechanically inclined. I heard that you should stay away from the late 90's though.
Posted: Jul 30, 2007 9:12 pm

german cars rule as a general proposition, they handle and drive sooooooo much better than Jap and American cars
Posted: Jul 30, 2007 9:27 pm

Most don't have a radiator, and are air cooled(as opposed to coolant / anti freeze )

This is (I'm almost positive) only true of VWs until like, 1981 or something. I drive a '74 VW and it's the best car I've ever owned. Air-cooled is where it's at... water is for boats.
Posted: Jul 31, 2007 1:04 am

I decided to pass and get a Honda instead...

Sweet! Good for you. I worked for a company called HiSan in the late 80s that brakelines & fuelines for the Honda plant in Marysville. It was then that I learned what a reputation for quality that Honda had.

The Civic Hybrid gets 49/51 city/highway. Not bad.
Posted: Jul 31, 2007 8:31 pm

Check out consumer reports some of the worst cars of all time
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 3:07 am

Hondas are way solid, but Hybrids got too many weird parts and are gonna break down over time.

Jetta TDI is bitchin coz they are made in Germany, but the gas ones are made in Mexico and they suck.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®