Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / i just wrote a proposal for an independent study class about goner, goners, and gonering.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 1:33 am

3 credits for rocknroll!

i'm gonna be hitting some of you assholes up for interviews in the fall.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 1:34 am

i read the crypt records catalog and discovered whiskey and drugs. the end.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 1:38 am

I thought you already did this.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 1:39 am

Can you say "drinking" and "a lot" in your paper?"
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 1:42 am

motherfucker shit ass tits rape.
HEE=HAW
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 1:43 am

Can you say "drinking" and "a lot" in your paper?"
i can say whatever i want. its my class.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 1:51 am

can you teach something based on very few facts and lots of contradictions?
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 1:53 am

How do I get records on my computer?
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 1:53 am

i mean it seems like their really isn't much to be learned. you can't teach taste, and i'm the only one around here who has it anyway. fag.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 1:54 am

I thought you already did this.
right?
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 1:56 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

Posted: Jul 24, 2007 1:59 am

Posted: Jul 24, 2007 2:23 am

i mean it seems like their really isn't much to be learned.

What's up in Memphis? Chicago? The Upper Antilles? Akron? NYC? Louisville? Mexico?
Top 10? Best of?
Why is Jay Reatard so touchy about the word "ghetto"?
Can saispas top the last "how do I fix my?..."
What's up with a whole Memphis category? What do you remember?
How do you cook shrimp, pork, BBQ?
Who's playing where?

There's a lot to be learned, but I wonder what the thesis of all this is. What is there to independent study? It's kind of a narrow field...
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 2:30 am

Just remember the three B's.

Bray
Brah and
BBQ
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 2:31 am

i mean it seems like their really isn't much to be learned.

lots of contradictions

he's gotta find a way around this,
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 2:33 am

You can devote a full semester to the study of whether the Black Lips live record will be released on vinyl, and what label will be putting it out.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 2:55 am

If someone put that out on vinyl I'd totally buy it
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 3:55 am

you're a I'd totally buy it
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 4:54 am | Edited by: Miss Faye

Awesome idea dcr.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 1:50 pm

I'd like to add as a sub thesis, that some very informed folks, such as myself, get all our new via the goner board. It is way less slanted than reuters or ap.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 3:37 pm

please leave me divorcing my husband almost 3 years ago and still not finding a decent man to date out of it. that's boring anyway.

and please make sure there are lots and LOTS of references to ROCK. i will then feel dutifully represented. if i'm being represented at all, that is...

and can you get a young coked-out, rock star slutting janice dickinson to play me in the goner movie? i'm reading her book "check please!" and she's making me laugh.

ah laughter...
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 3:39 pm

and don't forget a slideshow presentation of all our pets.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 3:39 pm

laughter and dating????

here?

in the world???
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 3:41 pm

re the interview: no matter the questions these are my answers

burp
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 4:06 pm

please leave me divorcing my husband almost 3 years ago and still not finding a decent man to date out of it. that's boring anyway.

Please do not leave out my quest for a hug from jenna. It came to me in a dream once, for chrissakes. And my wife already busted me for it.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 4:45 pm

Please do not leave out my quest for a hug from jenna. It came to me in a dream once, for chrissakes. And my wife already busted me for it.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 5:01 pm

Posted: Jul 24, 2007 5:04 pm

will this be coming out on vinyl?
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 5:23 pm

Or on 8-track?
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 5:29 pm

You should leave Jenna out just to piss her off.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 5:33 pm | Edited by: deadcityrebel

to answer a few burning questions, this class will be concentrating on the mechanisms of culture. i'm using "goners" because my professor and i feel this little group of people is unique in that you all have defied, in some way or another, some of the theories surrounding culture. my aim is to explore this. with the various interests we have here, its hard for anyone entity to exploit them. look at what rachelandthecity is always trying to do. it never works. are we punk? are we losers? are we so out of touch that no one else cares? are we so hip that no one can keep up? i'm very interested in developing an argument for another approach to cultures like this. in theory this group is situated in emergence and is feeding off residual elements in culture awaiting dominant exploitation. this group is different; instead of using these residual elements as a basis for nostalgia (which i see as detrimental), the group uses it to effectively proliferate itself as a constantly re-emerging culture, somehow avoiding the dominant. there are always exceptions, but generally i've noticed this group is very aware of itself, is very self-reflexive, and very critical of each component of itself.

HEE-HAW!!!
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 5:37 pm

oh, and i've just been talking about it, now i'll actually have time to put all my ideas together into a paper.

when i'm done i'll send it to anyone wanting to read it.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 5:49 pm

You should explore why Mormons aren't fond of Arkansans.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 5:49 pm | Edited by: jenna

ha, trickknee! subterfuge is far superior to celebrity.

in theory this group is situated in emergence and is feeding off residual elements in culture awaiting dominant exploitation.

uh, i came to this board because i was an oblivians fan.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 5:51 pm | Edited by: deadcityrebel

uh, i came to this board because i was an oblivians fan.
me too, but i'm a nerd and i like thinking about this stuff. and if can get college credit for liking the oblivians, i damn well will.

aren't fond
we got beat up alot over there
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 6:00 pm

we got beat up alot over there
Pretty sure it was the other way around...
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 6:05 pm

really?
oh.
if i can apologize for everyone else, this is me doing it.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 6:27 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

Just messin' with you, chippy. I honestly didn't know anything about this, until I saw that documentary on PBS a few weeks back.
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 5:13 pm

yeah. i'm glad i'm not any of those people. i do not want to have to explain that to jesus.
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 5:18 pm

you wouldn't have to anyway. when you die, your dead.
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 5:35 pm

Is "love, goner style" going to be a part of the paper?
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 5:53 pm

your dead.

your dead? what about my dead?
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 5:55 pm

you know what i mean, 'billy.
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 5:57 pm

'billy.

Is that short for hillbilly?
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 6:00 pm

Posted: Jul 25, 2007 9:24 pm

DCR - you should read my friend Stacy Horn's book, Cyberville: Clicks, Culture and the Creation of an Online Town and talk to her about the mechanisms of culture yadda yadda yadda....

also - i had her on one of the talk shows i produced... she's kind of the expert w/ bonafides in the "online community" field, so you'll be getting MORE than anecdotal stuff from your "friends" for your paper
Posted: Aug 8, 2007 6:44 pm

look at what rachelandthecity is always trying to do. it never works.

what exactly am I always trying to do?

the thing about this board is - when i think I have an iron clad idea about something, that there could be no logical argument, I just come here and I get the other side.

I hear things here that I would have never come up with on my own in a million years - and thats fine, I usually respect the other person's idea and relearn that there is never only one way to look at something.
Posted: Aug 8, 2007 7:59 pm

IRON MAIDEN WOULD BEAT THE GIN BLOSSOM'S IN TICKET SALES.
Posted: Aug 9, 2007 5:22 pm

...and Nicko's nose is flatter than ANYONE'S! So there...
Posted: Aug 9, 2007 5:33 pm

you should write about "i'm gay.... it's true"
a lot of people want to be gay. it's probably a whole other paper.
Posted: Aug 9, 2007 8:56 pm

DCR: I am totally graduating on the basis of my thesis documentary about women involved in The Rock and Roll, which basically means i have been driving around partying all summer. It isn't any feminist manifesto, for those of you who dont know me. It is basically about ROCKING OUT and being a girl>

It seems only natural that we, as Goners, should GD do what we want to do. I am NOT sure that this will in turn get me a high paying luxurious job, but at least I didn't have to read about mass communication theories for six months or work at a right-wing local 8 page newspaper. Not to mention validating any reason to hang out and watch bands at anytime. It's research.

That pretty much makes us all PH fucking DEEs

Thank you
Dr. VanWinkle, PH.D
Posted: Aug 9, 2007 9:04 pm

Twinkle RULES!!!
Posted: Aug 9, 2007 9:07 pm

Interviewer: Your skill set looks solid, and your graduating status shows determination. In order to determine your interpersonal skills, I'd like to know how you handle inter-personal relationships. Have you any experience there?
Interviewee: Have you read the Goner-board, you fucking faggot?
Posted: Aug 10, 2007 12:41 pm

Or as the guy who gave me my only bad Ebay feedback put it, "Go hell you wee wee"!
Posted: Aug 10, 2007 6:45 pm

what exactly am I always trying to do?
exploit. and everyone here is all to aware of what exploitation does. it may not be intentional, but you're still doing it.
Posted: Aug 12, 2007 7:52 am

gonna be hitting some of you assholes up for interviews in the fall.

are you aware of the definition of irony?

you should look it up.
Posted: Aug 12, 2007 8:19 am

gonna be hitting some of you assholes up for interviews in the fall.

are you aware of the definition of irony?

That's not irony, that's innuendo.
Posted: Aug 13, 2007 5:09 pm

Jack Stands RULES!!!
Posted: Aug 13, 2007 7:43 pm

sometimes i think i'm funny....then i come to the goner board and read stuff like this and can't think of a witty thing to say to top what the rest of you funny motherfuckers are preaching...

keep it up assholes!!!
Posted: Aug 13, 2007 7:50 pm

i dunno man, that time you called me up and asked what back from the grave volume 1 was worth was pretty fucking hysterical.
Posted: Aug 13, 2007 10:47 pm | Edited by: My Crushing

well billy made it seem like i had a "find"

but whenever i need a quick laugh...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZSzT7NJ8d00
Posted: Aug 13, 2007 10:52 pm

sixteene is the star of that vid! peewee did the righteous horns, jenna posed with the inverted horns.
Posted: Aug 13, 2007 11:01 pm

jenna must be crazy
how can she be that good lookin and single???
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 1:12 am

what back from the grave volume 1 was worth
six dollars.
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 1:24 am

HAAAAAA!!! That's what i told him! LMFAO!!!
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 1:25 am

ROFLMAO!
LOL!
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 1:29 am

DCR - I really want to read this when you're done.
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 1:52 am

my BFTG is worth 7 because its covered in resin so if youre desperate you could always scrape it and maybe catch a buzz...
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 2:09 am

i have volume 1 with the glow in the dark cover and the "hidden" lyres track and shitty liner notes.
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 2:24 am

arent the early pressings mastered poorly? i remember hearing that somewhere...
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 2:33 am

sounds alright. i haven't had too much a reason to actually listen to it, except for the lyres track.
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 3:45 am

Posted: Aug 14, 2007 10:36 am

mechanisms
sociology...yuk
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®