Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Name a band that other Goners would ridicule you for liking
Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 2:44 pm

e: LA's.... really? i'll give the lp another listen. i had high hopes... not realized at the time. i'll give it new ears.

esp liberty ship

great lp

Sure is. "I Can't Sleep," "Timeless Melody" and "Failure" are great.

I saw them live! TLA/Philly, 7/4/91. They were decent but Staitjacket Fits opened and were incredible.
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 3:10 pm

Grateful Dead has some good songs on Workingman's Dead and American Beauty- "Box of Rain" is a great folk rock song
Agreed. These are both really good records, and it is a shame that one has to hang their head when they say this. Because so much of their stuff, esp the live 30 mintute jams suck, and their fans cannot be selective or objective, etc ad nauseum. Both of these albums are as good as any Byrds records.
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 3:26 pm

Duckworth actually mentioned the Dead yesterday. He likes the first record - "the one all their fans hate."
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 4:05 pm

The music is interesting enough I guess, but those videos, JEEZUS!

URL
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 5:18 pm

These were the Aphex Twin videos I was talking about:

Come to Daddy

Rubber Johnny

Window Licker
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 5:26 pm

I have been ridiculed by an actual Goner Records recording artiste for loving The Yum Yums.
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 7:40 pm

And yeah Paul, Hall & Oates and the first Boston record make me happy for some reason I can't figure out. So ridiculous and funny, probably the perfect mentions on here. And you can add a couple Rush songs, as well.

Todd, okay, let's get winded and blast Thundermug this weekend%(!@*%_!(

What about Giorgio's solo stuff? "Son of My Father," "Looky Looky," "Moody Trudy," etc. Keyboard glam!

Yeah man, that early Giorgio shit is insanely fucking good. Those singles are constantly on my turntable. Have you heard his mid-70's/80's disco/dance-funk shit? "I Want To You Funk You Tonight" in particular is hilarious!#)!(*#)!
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 8:55 pm

claw hammer claw hammer claw hammer!
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 9:03 pm

Bringing this full-rhombus, I dig Clawhammer so much that I like their Gordon Lightfoot cover (and I hate Gordon Lightfoot).
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 9:20 pm

Amy Winehouse
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 9:25 pm

I have been ridiculed by an actual Goner Records recording artiste for loving The Yum Yums.

I have NO idea who that would be.
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 11:56 pm

trickknee we should drink a few beers sometime !
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 12:10 am

jon spencer
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 5:57 am

the Libertines
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 4:01 pm | Edited by: Sonicg

Action Swingers - specially the generic Decimation Blvd.
But hey I dig the Wildhearts...
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 5:05 pm

I find myself reaching for THIS when feeling blue. My fave is "Toba Toba."

So wonderfully cheesy. I think I originally pulled it from the WFMU blog...
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 5:07 pm

Action Swingers were awesome, duh! We tried telling everyone this but no one would listen because Ned called 'em fags. Whatever.

trickknee we should drink a few beers sometime !

Hell yeah nigger!
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 5:12 pm

Ned

who? son, are you on the pot?
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 5:32 pm

Unfortunately, no. Are you on the matzah?
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 5:40 pm

probably chris isaak. i really dig baja sessions and forever blue. really bad sometimes, but also really good for when i'm really depressed.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 5:54 pm

oh god, forever blue is so wonderful and depressing.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 5:56 pm

i usually feel better about my situation when i listen to that guy.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 5:58 pm

Alot of shit I listen to would probably make most here puke. I am a huge fan of synthpop (Human League, Depeche Mode, Soft Cell etc...). I listen to alot of electronic music sometimes (breakcore, minimal techno, electro, house). I also like some stuff off of Working Man's Dead by Grateful Dead. Also love hip-hop, but can't stand most of that dirty south and crunk bullshit. Don't suppose there is a whole lot of people into shit like At The Gates, Burzum, Sepultura or grindcore here either. Can't forget goth music, Death in June, Laibach, Skinny Puppy and most other stuff I listen to.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 6:39 pm

Amy Winehouse

I think she's hot and has a gnarly set of pipes.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 6:59 pm

i usually feel better about my situation when i listen to that guy.

Saw him live at the Botanic Garden a few years ago and was surprised at how funny he is onstage. Sounded good, too.

Lisa Marie, on the other hand, opened and looked/sounded like dogshit.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 8:46 pm

Gentle Giant.

Don't suppose there is a whole lot of people into shit like At The Gates, Burzum, Sepultura or grindcore here either.

There's at least one. Especially At the Gates.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 9:12 pm

I think she's hot and has a gnarly set of pipes.
and she has boobs on her arm
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 4:15 am

Grateful Dead, Workingman's Dead

70's Elton John

The The

love those.

and steve miller.
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 4:17 am

probably chris isaak

You know, I never would have given Chris Isaak a second thought, but New Bomb Turks really liked him & Bill Randt once played me an Isaak record that was just plain great.
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 6:25 am

There's at least one. Especially At the Gates.
seconded ... well at least Slaughter of the Soul...I probably like more Entombed out of all that
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 6:44 am

Slaughter of the Soul is one of the best metal albums of the 90's.
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 6:45 am

Scratch that... one of the best metal albums of any era.
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 2:15 pm

Grateful Dead, Workingman's Dead

Funny you should mention this. . .Just rented Festival Express, which was filmed right around the time of this record. I have no great love for any of the acts featured in particular (Dead, the Band, Janis Joplin, etc.) but it's a GREAT doc. The scene with Janis and Rick Danko alone is priceless. If Janis is asking you if you're OK you MUST be pretty screwed up.
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 2:51 pm

The scene with Janis and Rick Danko alone is priceless.

Heck yeah!
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 8:38 pm

i think a lot of people would think it odd that i LOVE april march
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 8:45 pm

The scene with Janis and Rick Danko alone is priceless.

Heck yeah!

dbl heck

i love
little green bag by george baker selection

wanna fight? call my ex. 1 800-she suck
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 8:47 pm

Duckworth actually mentioned the Dead yesterday. He likes the first record - "the one all their fans hate."

which goes to show that Grateful Dead *fans* (and whatever all that entails) are drooling morons. The first one is ACE! Picked up a nearly-mint condition s/t at Princeton Record exchange last week. I've said it before, the first 5 or 6 lp's were tight!
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 8:48 pm

The Band are great.
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 8:52 pm

The Band are great.

top 5 fave

and man that fucking manuel makes my knees weak
Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®