Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Name a band that other Goners would ridicule you for liking
Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 11:34 am | Edited by: Rumpleforeskin

Inspired by Mullett ,I'll jump on the hand grenade first: The B-52's. Yes, they're fags and old biddies but their shows are fun as hell and they rock like a sonavabitch live.
Not bands really ,but I LOVE cowboy songs and so I like Roy Rogers, Gene Autry ,Tex Ritter and Sons of the Pioneers.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 12:37 pm

OXYMORON--their first two albums (Fuck The Nineties-Here's Our Noize and The Pack Is Back) are so transcendently excellent in the street punk genre that to even compare them to any other band in that genre would be an utter disservice. Ultra-tight, well-produced, talented songwriting (yes! thoughtful and well-written streetpunk!), tons of instant anthems, lots of energy, great vocals. They're from Germany and are the only band that could make me sing "I WANNA BE A DIRTY PUNK!". Killer band.

-Ryan
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 2:28 pm

maybe not all goners would ridicule me for it, but for some reason i constantly have to defend my liking of deerhunter. don't care to explain any further.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 3:14 pm

If Goners made fun of them, I think that would be the trademark of quality in most cases
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 3:26 pm

Ridicule is what Goners do best. I can't think of a band that *wouldn't* be ridiculed by someone on the board.

Oh, and I like the Detroit Cobras.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 3:47 pm

you beat me to it!

Detroit Cobras
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 3:51 pm

Gay Baby
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 4:23 pm

I'm ridiculed for not liking the carbonas.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 4:36 pm

If Goners made fun of them, I think that would be the trademark of quality in most cases

Thank you!

Most of my record collection would not meet the "standards" of many a Goner on this board.

The Time; Rick James; cocaine rap.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 5:31 pm

Rick James rules! Most of the stuff you like doesn't! Fix that fucking soapdish and get off the fucking soapbox!
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 5:42 pm

I could name probably one hundred bands that are WAAAY to hip and progressive for Goners to understand and therefore ridicule me for it. Im not sure Im ready for the public humiliation though!
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 5:58 pm

Belle and Sebastian. I'd rather listen to them than most of the crap raved about on here most of the time.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 5:59 pm

You are just showing your superior taste. Revel in it.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 6:00 pm | Edited by: Stephanie

B & S..yes.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 6:26 pm

Belle and Sebastian are good, at least their best shit is really good. Still prefer Pastels/Vaselines crew, and the B&S documentary made me want to strangle them, but they've come up with a lot of good tracks.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 6:53 pm

Belle and Sebastian
Iron and Wine, lots of Will Oldham, Devendra Banhardt, Magetic Fields, Akron/Family, Biggie Smalls, Billy Joel
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 7:00 pm | Edited by: Tupac

first single on the XsecondX THIRD jesus jones album.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 7:01 pm

Hanoi Rocks
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 7:06 pm

OXYMORON

Idols out!I never liked Oi! very much except of the traditionals (Blitz fucking rules!) but they were quite good.Another good nineties band on Knock Out records were the Discocks from Japan.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 7:10 pm

OK, this is the thread I should have posted these bands on...

Supertramp
Styx
RUSH
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 7:43 pm

oh, here's one...i like the new misfits. not as much as the old misfits of course but thats a given.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 7:48 pm

bob wills & his texas playboys.

i've been on a 2-3 month kick of listening to that stuff.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 7:49 pm | Edited by: elle

sarah, i actually like iron and wine and devendra banhardt and will oldham too. i also like elliott smith. i kinda like stuff like j church and jawbreaker and hot water music too. i like all kinds of dirty south rap stuff too. (in fact, i may make another visit to crunkfest this year like i did last year with andria and luteinizer.) i like some indie dance stuff that's ridiculous just because i like to dance. i have been known to sing along to really awful stuff like journey and styx and reo speedwagon and CCR. reminds me of when i was little cuz i know my mom and stepdad used to listen to that stuff.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 7:52 pm

i have been known to sing along to really awful stuff like journey and styx and reo speedwagon and CCR.

I don't get how you can lump CCR in with the others above.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 7:55 pm

Bonnie Prince Billy is awesome. and really short in person.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 7:56 pm

it's stuff that my mom and stepdad used to listen to and i'm certain some goners would make fun of me for liking it. the two reasons i put that on that list.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 7:57 pm

bob wills, ccr, and will oldham are some of my fave acts

i used to like Dink
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 7:57 pm

I can hang with Elliott Smith, a lot of Will Oldham, and maybe the first 2 and a half Belle + Sebastian records, but Iron and Wine and Devendra Banhart I will never understand.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 7:58 pm

I love Wings.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 8:00 pm

Devendra Banhart I will never understand.

You have to listen to his first album to understand- it's creepy!
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 8:07 pm

Oh and I've seen Devendra, will oldham and magnetic fields live and Devendra's the only one I didn't go into liking and coming out hating.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 8:08 pm

Devendra Banhart I will never understand.

You have to listen to his first album to understand- it's creepy!

But I already heard Marc Bolan, and didn't really dig the first time 'round.

What I mean to say is, I bought that first Devendra record 'cause so many people were flippin' out over it, and while there were some pleasently creepy moments (augmented, I'm sure, by the fact that the first time I listened to it was in the car while getting lost in the suburbs while trying to find Goodwill), it ultimately bored me and I decided it sucks.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 8:16 pm

But I already heard Marc Bolan

I always think Donovan...
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 8:16 pm

and maybe the first 2 and a half Belle + Sebastian records
Ha! Ha! "Maybe"? Sounds like you're afraid that some Goner's lurking around the corner ready to give you a right bollocking or that your rep as a budding music mogul will be forever tarnished.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 8:18 pm

are you actually british, cuz you talk like them alot.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 8:19 pm

wow, i never realized what shitty taste in music you people had.

i like gordon lightfoot.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 8:22 pm

wow, i never realized what shitty taste in music you people had.

i like gordon lightfoot.

Those two sentences together just made me laugh my ass off!
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 8:23 pm

are you actually british, cuz you talk like them alot.
eric o made fun of me for liking m. ward, because he sang the word "aeroplane" instead of airplane. I don't care -- I like m. ward -- sometimes he even reminds me of a more laidback greg cartwright!
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 8:24 pm | Edited by: clif

Sebadoh, White Stripes, and Demolition Derby
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 8:32 pm

Posted: Jul 19, 2007 8:34 pm

I like devendra cause he writes dumb little songs and they sound kinda nice. My favorite is the one about michigan and a snail and some such business. I write dumb little songs too and sing them to myself. His songs are more like songs though.
As per iron and wine, the first album tugs my heart strings like some nick drake does, and that's gotta count for something.

I like m wards covering the misfits. and arab strab covering sammy hagar.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 8:34 pm

and maybe the first 2 and a half Belle + Sebastian records
Ha! Ha! "Maybe"? Sounds like you're afraid that some Goner's lurking around the corner ready to give you a right bollocking or that your rep as a budding music mogul will be forever tarnished.

I like "If you're feeling sinister" through and through, but that's the only record I ever owned by 'em. Still own it. I know there was an album before that, but haven't really heard it, and the album after (boy with the arab strap, right?) I never bought but my best friend was into and there were some songs on there that I'd get stuck in my head. And then the records just start to blur together. So, I stand by "maybe the first 2 and a half".

And how's this Leftpeg: I even bought that Looper 7" and I think I still got it. Talk about gay.

M.Ward I think is OK. Any sort of Portland indie rock from the mid-90's still gets me, as it's what I was raised on.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 8:37 pm

ooooh,

I love Crescent, that band rules! Anyone else?
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 8:39 pm

Hanoi Rocks

Red Menace's favorite band!

CCR definitely shouldn't be listed with those other bands. They were a top-notch rock band with classic tunes.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 8:40 pm

Prince.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 8:40 pm

It's Prince!
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 8:41 pm

i cried at the Sufjan Stevens show. I should probably get a beating for that, huh?

Demolition Derby

Favorite band from Bloomington/Normal while in college there, hell ya.

NNNoooo, everyone loves prince!

it's Prince!!
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 8:47 pm

Demolition Derby

Actually from around B/N I meant.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 8:57 pm

CCR definitely shouldn't be listed with those other bands. They were a top-notch rock band with classic tunes.

Heard "Who'll Stop the Rain" someplace yesterday and it sounded great. That one always stops me in my tracks - that and "Green River."
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 8:58 pm

Fountains of Wayne
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 9:14 pm

Hanoi Rocks

YEAH!
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 9:15 pm

Rick James rules! Most of the stuff you like doesn't! Fix that fucking soapdish and get off the fucking soapbox!

You don't know what I like, Hatey McHatester.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 9:26 pm

Inane reality shows?
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 9:30 pm

Tired yet?
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 9:34 pm

i cried at the Sufjan Stevens show. I should probably get a beating for that, huh?

i don't know which is worse... going to the show or crying at it

you're getting your beating here
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 9:38 pm | Edited by: Mark Beef

We've got a Fuzzbox
Spin Doctors
New Radicals
Pink
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 9:39 pm

I like devendra cause he writes dumb little songs and they sound kinda nice. My favorite is the one about michigan and a snail and some such business. I write dumb little songs too and sing them to myself. His songs

i thought devendra banhart was a girl until just now.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 9:48 pm

Pretty good drone-noise-space. I can dig it. Ever listen to AMP? Movietone?

First Devendra LP and EP are great. It's been quite awhile since I listened to him, but I saw him a bunch on early tours, stayed at the house, yadda. Really nice genuine guy, but last couple times I saw him he was def. getting a little further from/closer to THE EDGE. Or something. One time he asked me if I could score him any smack. It made me sad. I was like, "Any other drug, and I can do it" Hell, I coulda done the smack but I didn't wanna be "that guy." Next time I saw him though, he seemed to be doing better. I think the pressure (not to mention touring w/ Micheal Gira) was getting to him. Not so into his newer shit, and all the stuff around him (music-wise) pretty much blows. Dude's got mad talent though; amazing guitar player, great lyricist.

cried at the Sufjan Stevens show. I should probably get a beating for that, huh?

Yes. Saw him once. Ouch.

Then again, I listened to Faith No More's 'Angel Dust' the other day and it almost rocked me as hard as when I was 14. I love FNM (up til AD). Chuck fuckin Moseley!!!
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 9:58 pm

Sebadoh

I have a fuckin Sentridoh album, but mostly because I loved, loved, loved Dinosaur Jr so much. Actually, make that present tense- love.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 10:01 pm

The only one I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned...

LUNA!! I really love 'em.

(but the documentary made me want to stab them all)

I'm really hungover today, I'm sure there's about 80 more my brain can't process right now.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 10:02 pm

Saw Eric Gaffney walking by the pizza parlor last night. Smoked a joint w/ him at a show he played w/ my friends' band about a month ago. He's a nut. Punk Rock Syd Barrett.

He actually busted my balls for not having gone to see re-united Sebadoh after I told him how much I love his old shit. I was like "Puff puff GIVE, motherfucker!"
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 10:04 pm

LUNA!!

A lot of my friends in HS school loved this band, but it always reminded me of this goth chick who didn't like her name and told everyone to start calling her Luna. Now I can't even stand the sound of it, much less a band named that name.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 10:06 pm

It IS a horrible band name.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 10:14 pm

LUNA!!
I loved them in high school. Saw them play a super epic version of 23 minutes in brussels once. It was sweet. I don't like them now though, I guess I got over them when I heard and hated pup tent.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 10:17 pm

i don't know which is worse... going to the show or crying at it

he has a pretty voice and a full orchestra! I couldn't help it! but yes, i did pay to go because i wanted to soo..bring it on!
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 10:19 pm

i thought devendra banhart was a girl until just now.
The first time I saw him I thought he was jeebus
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 10:19 pm

Hues Corporation
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 10:22 pm

Movietone?love it
LUNA!!thumbs up

and pretty much everything else i listen to would be punted over the wall here.

But your smiling faces and endless wit keep me coming back for more.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 10:23 pm

I forgot I love horrible corny era Elvis. "Kentucky Rain" may be my favorite of his singles.
Even worse , I love The Go-go's .So there.........................
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 10:24 pm

I LOVE THE GO-GO'S!!!!
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 10:25 pm

I have noticed that there is very little ridiculing going on here. So unlike you goners! Where's bazooka joe??
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 10:27 pm

We've got a Fuzzbox
Spin Doctors
New Radicals
Pink

He actually bought an entire Pink album. It was then that I knew he had reached a musical deadend.

Me, Im into the following not hip bands:
Modest Mouse
Guns N Roses
Iron and Wine
Kelly Clarkson
.......These are just to name a few. I cant leave out the countless 80's goth shit that I play when Im feeling nostalgic, or the awsome hair rock either. Hair rock I like all the time.. Cos, well, I WANNA RAWK!!! I WANT TO RAWK!!!!
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 10:28 pm

Guns N Roses

Aren't these guys eternally hip in a not-so-hip kinda way? It's always good to rock GnR on a road trip or in a tour van, at least.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 10:29 pm

hey i do'nt even know what anyone's talking about except for luna.

i only listen to oldies radio.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 10:32 pm

Demo Derby is still going strong and have some pretty great new songs. However, I think 75 % of people hear would listen to half a song and write them off as a "bar band." Maybe. Whatever. They Rule!
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 10:55 pm

Aren't these guys eternally hip in a not-so-hip kinda way? It's always good to rock GnR on a road trip or in a tour van, at least.

I suppose you do have a point. Its usually popular with the dread locked, Venom patch wearin, pacific northwestern types. Ex gutter punks gone foodies. You know who Im talking about
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 11:09 pm

Guided by Voices
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 11:18 pm

gin blossoms. i can't help myself when i hear "hey jealousy."
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 11:25 pm

bob wills & his texas playboys.
Ain't a thing wrong with that!

The Smiths. Oh, and Green Day. Go ahead, I know I'm now banned.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 11:27 pm

Oh, and Green Day. Go ahead, I know I'm now banned.

don't worry...i have a lot of love, too.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 11:31 pm

I love Springsteen. I like every album he's every done (except maybe Lucky Town and Human Touch) and his output from '73-'85 contains some of my favorite albums ever.

I also really like the Orange Peels, especially that So Far album. They are possible the biggest puss-pop band ever. I found out later that Larry from the Mummies is their lead guitarist and I about shat myself!

And I am on a HUGE Fleetwood Mac kick lately. I'm not talking about the cool Peter Green period, either. We're talking about the Lindsay and Stevie period. I even bought Lindsay's first solo LP and I'm totally digging it.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 11:33 pm

gin blossoms. i can't help myself when i hear "hey jealousy."

God help you! Maybe my extreme hate is derived from the fact that Im from Tucson and they played that fucking song like it was its own station or something.
Just thinking of that song brings the reverberating hums of nails on a chalkboard.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 11:36 pm

I love Springsteen
Long live the boss!
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 11:50 pm

I forgot I love horrible corny era Elvis.

Thats the Elvis I like. I'll go further and say I like jumpsuit elvis better than pre military elvis.

Green Day
White Stripes
Hives
Big and Rich
Jason and the Scorchers.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 11:54 pm

Crescent! CCR is my favorite band of all time. I like lots of faggy 80s electro pop, 80s goth music, Uncle Tupelo, YES, Gentle Giant, Springsteen, Huggy Bear, Polvo...
Oh yeah, I FUCKIN LOVE CRASS!!!
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 11:59 pm

And Jefferson Airplane and early Grateful Dead. I like pot.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 12:00 am

Who doesn't like CCR and Springsteen?
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 12:04 am

i cant stand bruce : (
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 12:05 am

GBH, discharge
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 12:08 am

>bruce hater me
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 12:11 am

Jason and the Scorchers.
I can't believe you put them with Big and Rich and Green Douche.

Aren't these guys eternally hip in a not-so-hip kinda way? It's always good to rock GnR on a road trip or in a tour van, at least.The last great mainstream band. Post Izzy sucks though.

Kelly ClarksonWe made out @ SXSW!!!
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 12:11 am

I would say I would get ridiculed for about 90% of my record, but to name "a band," how about Archers Of Loaf?
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 12:14 am

We've got a Fuzzbox
Spin Doctors
New Radicals
Pink

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I dont think that heckling for the above list would be limited to just Goners. Cos when something sux, it just sux! I think Beef has been spending too much time hanging around elementary schoolyards around recess.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 12:30 am

I also really like the Orange Peels, especially that So Far album.

YES YES YES!! Great band, great album! They need to play another show around here one of these days.

Guided by Voices

I have the feeling there are a bunch more GBV lovers on this board than one might think.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 1:14 am

I have the feeling there are a bunch more GBV lovers on this board than one might think.

that's for sure.

Archers Of Loaf?

yeah, I'm guilty of this one, too.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 1:21 am

i kinda like my taxi "who's to blame" 7 inch.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 1:40 am

Th Faith Healers and Moonshake
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 2:22 am

Thundermug & Barnaby Bye
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 3:01 am

Morning Musume's "4th Ikimashoi" album!!!!!
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 3:18 am

kentucky rain is great! eddie rabbit wrote that one!

Eric got me singing little river band songs all the time now when he started that thread a while back. got to say they make me smile every time.

got a weird soft spot for harry chapin, probably because my dad would put that on and i would cuddle up with my mom and listen when i was a little tyke. was kinda like story time.

others i can think of:

hall & oates (although i know some of you have come to my defense on that before)
fatima mansions (don't know how the hell this happened)
mother hips (especially back to the grotto)
chavez (actually nobody i meet seems to like this band on cd. definitely won plenty of fans live. i don't know their cd's make me go fucking out of my mind with joy!)
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 3:22 am

Hall and Oates
Steve Miller Band
Beherit
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 4:13 am

i was about to put hall and oates but i erased it! i don't love them, but i like them enough to own their greatest hits cd and to have seen them live 2 summers ago.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 4:19 am

Man, that Dogs' cover, "Nineteen" on the Rob's House 7" just shredds.

LUNA!!

I always wanted to see them. Mind of a Child Records did an LP/CD with a bunch of Brooklyn vets called Shapir-O'Rama. They did a song called "She's A Beacon" & they invited Dean Wareham to do the singing. Luna started doing for encores. I always wanted to go to a Luna show & shout for it.

I would call this "guilty pleasures" & my biggest guilty pleasure is Flock of Seagulls. Go ahead... Let me have it... I'm a grown man... I can take it.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 4:22 am

thank god one of us has consistently perfect taste.

me!
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 4:27 am

Jason and the Scorchers

Gacckkkk!!!!!
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 4:28 am | Edited by: Miss Faye

that's for sure.

I triple that sentiment.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 4:41 am

I triple that sentiment.

Quadrupled. I just realized I have over 10 hours of GBV on my iTunes. No wonder they come on every fifth song when I have it on random. I also just realized I'm GAY!

Would y'all make fun of me if I said I love me some AVAIL?
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 4:49 am

GBV lovers on this board

I saw them play the Magnet magazine 10 year anniversary show in Philly w/My Morning Jacket & the Shins back in 2003. The Shins were so boring, I found it physically painful, but once Bob & the boys went on, the beer began to flow & all was right with the world again.

Columbus man-about-town Duane Hart lived with Nate Farley at that time. Nate was talking to us before the show & people started coming up to Duane & me asking if we knew Nate. I don't know what was on Duane's mind, but he kinda slowly said "Yeah, he & I share a place." Once a couple of kids heard that, they wouldn't leave Duane alone.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 5:00 am

Modest Mouse
Guns N Roses

i loooooooove modest mouse. they're great to listen to while stoned out your gourd. they seem to make so much more sense then. gnr? reminds me of middle and high school.

I love me some AVAIL?

i wouldn't make fun of you because i love them too.

guided by voices

adore them.

Beherit

this guy i used to date listened to beherit a lot and i used to do impressions of it all the time. cracks me up. i kind of actually started to dig it after awhile once i got over the initial making fun of it stage.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 5:44 am

guided by voices

Pollard is one truly likeable freak poet, Watch Me Jumpstart is one stellar piece of documentary entertainment, I've even seen them live...and there are lots of things I love that I once deemed pussy...but I just can't embrace the GBV. It's like when someone goes up for the hi-five...and you just can't give it.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 7:15 am

Fiona Apple

Also the sound of two men kissing.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 8:39 am

Th Faith Healers and Moonshake

Hell yeah! I'll one up you: Long Fin Killie. TOO PURE!

Wondering how many US Maple fans in the audience. Not many, I'd guess.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 9:13 am

I have a US Maple album.

I heard about them through a *cough* Alkaline Trio *cough* 7" song lyric.

That's a statement for ridicule.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 1:50 pm

People would ridicule Guns n Roses and Archers of Loaf?

Appetite for Destruction is one of the best albums of the 80s and Ickey Mettle is one of the best albums of the 90s.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 2:10 pm

I'll one up you: Long Fin Killie.

I ignored this purely on the name alone. What is it like?
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 2:16 pm | Edited by: Rumpleforeskin

my biggest guilty pleasure is Flock of Seagulls
If you can get the visuals out of your mind, there is some really great guitar on "I Ran" and "Space Age Love Song". Too bad FOS guitar player cracked up mentally ,probably due to being in what just about everybody considered a joke band.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 2:21 pm

there is some really great guitar on "I Ran"

I was noticing just that the other day in the car; that "sparkly" repetitive line during the verse? VERY GOOD.

I also was impressed with the singing and sax in "Who Can It Be Now?" (Men at Work) on the same day.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 2:28 pm

I'm .......so......weak......from.....laughing
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 2:52 pm

Th Faith Healers have long been a favorite of mine, I guess it's ridicule-able. Echo & the Bunnymen? Dig some of that shit A LOT.

Funny music - first Boston LP and Hall & Oates put me in a good mood every time I hear 'em. So cheesily perfect, almost what an android or alien would sput out as "radio hit material."

Paulyfuckface - you never burned me that Thundermug!
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 3:37 pm | Edited by: LisaLisa

Pollard is one truly likeable freak poet, Watch Me Jumpstart is one stellar piece of documentary entertainment, I've even seen them live...

If you saw them live pre-Mag Earwig and don't like them cool... but if you saw them post that record I'd say you didn't really see them.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 4:16 pm

Guided by Voices
Bob Pollard came into reckless one day when I was working. I nearly swooned.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 4:23 pm

Love Echo and the Bunnymen. Still have most of their LPs and also a few of my Siouxie LPs and most of The Cure ones too. I think I still own The Cult "Love" LP also.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 5:30 pm

Morrissey
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 5:39 pm

If you saw them live pre-Mag Earwig and don't like them cool... but if you saw them post that record I'd say you didn't really see them.

I honestly have no idea...but who cares? Everything they've ever recorded is clogging the shelves behind me, and has been from the dawn of GBV. I live with a huge fan. Don't like them, never will, Pollard is cool. Period.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 6:08 pm

Paulyfuckface - you never burned me that Thundermug!

Oh yeah, will do.. Not sure if you'd dig it at all though. When you cumin' to Mke next?
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 6:27 pm

Probably next weekend - don't tell me what I won't like!!!!!!

GBV is a band I liked years ago but never really feel like listening to. Was it "Bee Thousand" that had "Kicker of Elves" and shit on it? That was my favorite.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 6:41 pm

Yeah, Bee Thousand. I can't talk or think about GBV anymore. Suffice to say, they once ruled, then blew.

I have a US Maple album.

I heard about them through a *cough* Alkaline Trio *cough* 7" song lyric.

That's a statement for ridicule.

What's the lyric?!?! Weird.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 6:42 pm

yes that was Bee Thousand. I feel the same way-loved them back then bbutnever listen anymore. When it happens to come on and I'm around I like though.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 6:42 pm

Wait, is it: "I went to the US Maple show/half the crowd left while the other half saw God" ???
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 6:43 pm

GBV, Hall n Oates AND The Cult all fucking rule. No doubt about it!!!!!!
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 6:44 pm

TJSA. I just never got it. I even tried. alot.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 6:45 pm

"I went to the US Maple show/half the crowd left while the other half saw God" ???--dont know that lyric but it makes sense. Loved what they were did live...only ever heard Talker and like it enough.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 7:01 pm

Tool's "Hooker With a Penis".
Fuck y'all. I like that song.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 7:02 pm

And me and the boy love to sing along to QOTSA's "Lost Art of Keeping a Secret" and that Blur "Woohoo" song. There. I said it.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 7:03 pm

Besides. You people like Eddie Money. No accounting for taste here, really.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 7:04 pm

I'm not getting defensive, or anything...
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 7:06 pm

"Kentucky Rain" may be my favorite of his singles.

Love that tune, esp. the first 5 seconds.

E.'s art reached a pinnacle, started heading up after the Vegas Comeback
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 7:15 pm

I saw Lisa Marie in Reno but can't say I enjoyed or like her "act". Priscilla was there, though, and I enjoyed soaking up her aura.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 8:14 pm

fatima mansions (don't know how the hell this happened)

I still have this record. Haven't listened to it lately but I always liked that first song Angels' Delight. Goes great on a mix tape right next to Cop Killer.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 8:31 pm

Wait, is it: "I went to the US Maple show/half the crowd left while the other half saw God" ???

Nah, it goes:
"Remember last April
when we saw US Maple
Somehow the singer showed the Fireside exactly how I feel"
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 8:31 pm

that Blur "Woohoo" song

robin, please say you air guitar in cargo shorts and flip flops when this song comes on!
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 9:45 pm

Nah, it goes:
"Remember last April
when we saw US Maple
Somehow the singer showed the Fireside exactly how I feel"

Holy shit that is fucking lame/awesome!!! I mean, it's a horrible lyric ("somehow"? it's fucking Al Johnson, he's like the Christopher Walken of rock). "show the Fireside how I feel"? You feel like a simp and a dink!!! Christ.

That about makes my day.

Made the other lyric up, by the way.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 10:23 pm

I LOVE THE GO-GO'S!!!!

Everyone who does NOT like them is ridiculous...
As for me, I really like the Thermals.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 11:37 pm

weird al's "even worse" album.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 11:41 pm

Ickey Mettle is one of the best albums of the 90s
Agreed
I LOVE THE GO-GO'S!!!!
Agreed
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 11:41 pm

Made the other lyric up, by the way.

It's a good one. Mind if I steal it?

I LOVE THE GO-GO'S!!!!

Everyone who does NOT like them is ridiculous...

My first crush as a kid was Belinda Carlisle. The only issue of Playboy I've ever bought was the issue with her.
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 12:12 am

Probably next weekend - don't tell me what I won't like!!!!!!

Alright! And fine!!!!!!
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 12:13 am

Actually, Todd.. is it you that likes Boston? Or am I just thinking of Eric Apnea er sumthin'..
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 2:48 am

real old 808 state
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 4:06 am

that Blur "Woohoo" song

Oh I completely loved this song AND the entire Parklife LP too.
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 5:48 am | Edited by: Miss Faye

Secret Service and/or Final Solutions. Anything with Justice.
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 6:56 am

i think i just liked a marilyn manson song i accidentally (right!) saw on Jay Leno! Whaaaaaaaat?

the La's "There She Goes" is up there with the best pop songs ever. too bad they couldn't fucking write anything near it again. Blur Parklife is fantastic.

others: pet shop boys, The The, nurse with wound, abba, ash ra tempel, Holger Hiller, anything with a vocoder in it, Dirty Ho. dambuilders, but they're my boys. Echo & the Bunnymen are great. early Pooh Sticks rule. KLF. Human League. Talking Heads. Chrome Cranks. Kill me.

We had a Go-Gos bootleg from right around 1st lp release, but with 2nd lp songs... they were amazing. I'm sure at that point they were the best band in LA besides what, Van Halen? Torched the stage.

US MAPLE? opened up for a great show... quintron, oblivians w/quintron, DEAD MOON in NYC. that was a whoah show. stroke it, noel.

GBV was a rock band, ended up with the dambuilders drummer (k march), ended up a pop band, great songs. come on. they're better than the Photos / A's / Yachts / Shirts / Polyrock / Pezband at least. Kicker of Elves!

i will now retire to drinking & reminiscing with richard martin. please join us someday.
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 8:17 am

Chrome Cranks
kinda snuck that one in eo, i can see the mixed emotions but i still have most of their stuff, teel and burt, come on, ripping off the scientists, it's alright in my book.
there was the one from seattle that was ripping off the chrome cranks, completely spacing on the name right now, but i think even they were great
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 8:49 am

Gimmicks?

Ain't no Cranks, ain't no shame.

nurse with wound

Let that freak flag fly, brother.

anything with a vocoder in it,

Especially ZAPP!!!!
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 10:29 am

Grateful Dead has some good songs on Workingman's Dead and American Beauty- "Box of Rain" is a great folk rock song

I like Moby Grape a lot, even after their first record.

I can totally enjoy some 70's Elton John.

Is Minor Threat a Guilty Pleasure?

Oh, and Stone Temple Pilots' "Big Bang Baby" fuckin' rules, I don't care what anyone says. And I like the s/t Blur Album.

"I wanna be adored" by The Stone Roses is fuckin' great.

That's all for now.
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 1:55 pm

US MAPLE? opened up for a great show... quintron, oblivians w/quintron, DEAD MOON in NYC. that was a whoah show.

At Continental? YES. I think I arrived too late for US Maple, though.
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 2:11 pm

Grateful Dead has some good songs on Workingman's Dead and American Beauty- "Box of Rain" is a great folk rock song

I like Moby Grape a lot, even after their first record.

I can totally enjoy some 70's Elton John.

Is Minor Threat a Guilty Pleasure?

Oh, and Stone Temple Pilots' "Big Bang Baby" fuckin' rules, I don't care what anyone says. And I like the s/t Blur Album.

except for Shirley Temple's Pussy i agree with all this but i have posted about Monor threat, those deads, moby grape, and early EJ so my position is clear: keepers

and i wanna be adored on headphones is no guilty pleasure: it's a monster

i like 4 seasons, merrill frankhauser, millenium a lot too

Poco is prolly borderline goner ridicule--not that i care--
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 3:15 pm

The first U.S. Maple CD is pretty good.
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 5:18 pm

I get pretty psyched up when "Take it Easy" by The Eagles comes on the radio.
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 5:41 pm | Edited by: Miss Faye

I love that whole record.

get pretty psyched up when "Take it Easy" by The Eagles comes on the radio.
I've been accused of being a closet Eagles fan.
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 6:22 pm

I get pretty psyched up when "Take it Easy" by The Eagles comes on the radio.

probably my least favorite song musically and lyrically ever. but then again, that's the point of this thread.
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 6:32 pm

While I despise the Eagles, I never cease to laugh uproariously, repeatedly say "God, what a DICK Don Henley is" and then proceed to sing all of "Life In the Fast Lane".
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 6:49 pm

70's Elton John

saturday night's alright (for fighting) is a total fist-and-air pumper for me
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 7:11 pm

Oh, and Stone Temple Pilots' "Big Bang Baby" fuckin' rules

I sthat the one with that 70s looking cable-access vibing video. Dirty bass hook and meldoic chorus? Gotta admit, that's a pretty good song.
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 7:51 pm

the La's "There She Goes" is up there with the best pop songs ever. too bad they couldn't fucking write anything near it again.

too bad you couldn't be bothered to listen to the rest of that fucking brilliant album!
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 8:05 pm

Belinda Carlisle. The only issue of Playboy I've ever bought was the issue with her.

Miss Carlisle is a good looking woman, no denying, but that pictorial is heavily touched up.
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 8:14 pm

Chrome Cranks kinda ruled. Sometimes. "Nightmare in Pink" is a good song.
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 8:31 pm

Anybody have that weird La's collection of 80s stuff? There's punk shit and Jesus and Mary rips and all kindsa strange stuff. I just have the CD itself and no case, so I don't know shit about it. I actually found it in a tour van in Europe.

"Nightmare in Pink" is a good song.

So is "Shine It On" and "Driving Bad" and "Doll in a Dress" and "Desperate Friend" and...
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 8:40 pm | Edited by: satchmykels

Miss Carlisle is a good looking woman, no denying, but that pictorial is heavily touched up.

aren't they all? allow me to answer my own question...

hell fucking yes!
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 9:14 pm

i like gordon lightfoot.

I fucking hate that guy!!!!! My dad would play the LP "sundown" over and over again.... When I got my first apt. I got a copy of that record for 25 cents and put it on the back of my toilet and when I was really drunk I would always piss on it... My dad came over and saw it and was totally pissed off.... I heard he had cancer.... I hope he dies a painful death...
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 9:37 pm

My dad came over and saw it and was totally pissed off.... I heard he had cancer.... I hope he dies a painful death...

wishing a painful death upon your own father is cold-blooded...

unless he used to ass rape you while forcing you to listen to gordon lightfoot, or something.
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 9:48 pm

RAPE!
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 11:06 pm

re: LA's.... really? i'll give the lp another listen. i had high hopes... not realized at the time. i'll give it new ears.
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 11:42 pm

Bush
Hole
Soul Asylum
& I really love Jesus Jones!!!
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 12:44 am

THE CARS!!!!!! But, that's probably not very ridicule-worthy, because they RULE!
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 4:23 am

aren't they all? allow me to answer my own question...

Seriously, her pictorial is so touched up that much of it is blurry. If you are into that, get the magazine Perfect 10. No surgeries, no touched up photos.

THE CARS!!!!!! But, that's probably not very ridicule-worthy, because they RULE!

Ocasek's son, Adam, used to do a lot of drinking & horsing around with bassist-mechanic about town, Jayson Brown. Adam typically would start fights that Jayson had to finish. Adam couldn't fight his way out of wet paper bag. Another thing about Adam was that he'd wear ripped Stooges t-shirts that he'd buy in a boutique for $80. Jayson swears Adam's never heard The Stooges.

Dana Hatch has got a good story about David Robinson, too, but that's for a later thread.
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 4:35 am

e: LA's.... really? i'll give the lp another listen. i had high hopes... not realized at the time. i'll give it new ears.

esp liberty ship

great lp
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 6:39 am

Bush
Hole
Soul Asylum

Note to self: I will never, ever forget to sign out again.
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 7:57 am

ryan adams is my boy crush. my wife says i'm obsessed.

waiting for the new digital leather lp.

man, maybe i am gay....that has a nice pic of a cock on it......
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 8:10 am

Bush
Hole
Soul Asylum

Note to self: I will never, ever forget to sign out again.

what's wrong with digging the bushy hole?

i'd be more than happy to dig that motherfucker a nice deep resting spot.

right here, right now!

errr, or are we talking about the nappy dugout?

ewwwwwww, but i'd still almost rather sniff the thing with two pussies than dave pirner's armpits!

almost
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 8:16 am

Oh please, ya'lls answers are lame. Everyone loves the Go-Go's, anyone who doesn't is just an asshole, GBV are great too. I'll go ahead and say Aphex Twin and Daft Punk.
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 8:37 am

I'll go ahead and say Aphex Twin and Daft Punk.

much better. i had some dimwit shove a daft punk cd into my car player a couple weeks back. only took me a couple minutes to skip skip skip through all their shitty songs and get us back on track with something completely different.
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 2:23 pm

Saw Aphex Twin play with some dancing midgets once. It was special.

And very very heavy.
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 2:53 pm

Oh, and Stone Temple Pilots' "Big Bang Baby" fuckin' rules

Yup. While I don't listen to Eddie Money, the "Shakin'" video is one of the best things ever filmed. And yeah Paul, Hall & Oates and the first Boston record make me happy for some reason I can't figure out. So ridiculous and funny, probably the perfect mentions on here. And you can add a couple Rush songs, as well.
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 4:46 pm

The first Rush LP is an ass-kicker
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 4:52 pm

I like those Gergio Moroder 70s productions like Donna Summer "I Feel Love" and Sparks "No 1 Song in Heaven"
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 4:55 pm

And you can add a couple Rush songs, as well.

I'm so happy I could cry.
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 6:19 pm

Bill from CoCoComa just lent me the first Scorpions disc... It's good!
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 7:38 pm

I like those Gergio Moroder 70s productions like Donna Summer "I Feel Love" and Sparks "No 1 Song in Heaven"

What about Giorgio's solo stuff? "Son of My Father," "Looky Looky," "Moody Trudy," etc. Keyboard glam!
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 9:08 pm

What about Giorgio's solo stuff? "Son of My Father," "Looky Looky," "Moody Trudy," etc. Keyboard glam!

are those on that record where he has the dog on the leash on the cover?
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 9:42 pm

the first Scorpions disc

when they were all hawkwind-y sounding.
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 10:10 pm

QOTSA's "Lost Art of Keeping a Secret"

I'm down w/the 1st 3 QOTSA records. The 1st one is a modern classic & the Kyuss record Sky Valley has basically been a blueprint for a generation of dipshits. Hey, it's the stonerrock Spiderland.
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 10:26 pm

i like gordon lightfoot.

I fucking hate that guy!!!!! My dad would play the LP "sundown" over and over again.... When I got my first apt. I got a copy of that record for 25 cents and put it on the back of my toilet and when I was really drunk I would always piss on it... My dad came over and saw it and was totally pissed off.... I heard he had cancer.... I hope he dies a painful death...

he's playing at the Schitzer in a couple of weeks. i bought us a pair of tickets.

have you started stalking Gary Ridgeway yet? i saw a neat document this morning while dowsing my hangover. the guy's a borderline retard and i doubt he can paint.
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 11:11 pm

They Might Be giants, Hagfish(first record)
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 6:21 am

Aphex Twin's videos are fucking great! The music is interesting enough I guess, but those videos, JEEZUS!

I listen to a LOT of that crescendo-core shit like Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, GYBE, etc... when I'm painting or working on the 'pooter.

I also quite like a few of the "guilty pleasures" listed above: Elliot Smith, M. Ward, Chrome Cranks, the Cars, Cococomas, etc...
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 6:23 am

Oh, and I like the UK Horrors. A LOT!
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 7:22 am

crescendo-core shit like Mogwai

Holy crap, this site never ceases to amaze me. A Mogwai reference. Sooner or later someone is going to say they like Colour Haze. I mean, I guess there is enough Dirty Three, JMC, MBV, & Joy Division in Mogwai to get someone to listen to them, but crap...
Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®